Overwatch

Jul 23

Jul 23

Critter Crunch, Everyday Shooter on Sale Today for $0.99 Each

Jonathan Mak's Avatar Posted by Creator, Everyday Shooter

This week, Toronto-based developers (and good friends) Queasy Games & Capy are putting their classic PSN titles on sale. To mark this occasion, Jon decided to dust off the actual guitar used to create the tunes in Everyday Shooter and jam out the games’ first track, alongside our cuddly orange friend from Critter Crunch. Take a peek:

Everyday Shooter & Critter Crunch may be markedly different games that took alternate paths onto the PlayStation Store, but they share a lot in common. Here’s a little bit about why these games are important to their creators/teams:

Everyday Shooter on PSN

Five years ago I released my first game, Everyday Shooter, in which you play through an album of musical shmups, where every sound effect is a guitar riff or note harmonizing over an all-guitar soundtrack. So as you play the game, it feels like you’re jamming along with the music. Each level/song/track has a different vibe, look, sound and gameplay mechanic — kind of like how songs on an album flow through different moods.

At least that’s what it is for most people. In actuality the game was built on ten years’ worth of failed experiments. It’s a game about growing out of the art-game-theory-I-am-a-genius-look-at-me BS I had built in my head. It’s about shedding my ego and getting back to the basics of making a simple, GOOD video game. It’s about becoming the student learning from the masters.

I packed a lot of personal memories into this game: I see the little Lego tanks and spaceships I built as a child in level 5, my obsession with strawberry picking in level 7, the first three-chord progression I ever wrote on guitar in Level 1… and I see all the undeniable influences of the time: Every Extend in Level 1, Warning Forever in Level 2, Miyzaki’s Porco Rosso in Level 4… and I cannot deny the inspiration I found in Rez and Lumines.

Everyday Shooter is probably the 8th, or 10th, or 12th (I’ve lost track!) game I ever made, but it was the first game I was truly proud of. Right now it’s on sale for a dollar. A dollar! I’d love for you to try it, and if you do, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

— Jonathan Mak, Queasy Games

Critter Crunch on PSN

Many years ago Capy wasn’t making the types of games we are now. We worked on games for big movie brands on a platform not a lot of folks cared about. Out of that dark time came one bright light: a silly little arcade-style puzzle game starring a cuddly orange blob who used his tongue to feed critters to each other. That game, originally called “Top of the Food Chain” before being officially dubbed CRITTER CRUNCH, became our first console title, launching on PSN in October of 2009.

Looking back, I can say that Critter Crunch happened because of Everyday Shooter. Not directly of course, but in a very real, indirect way. As we toiled in the furnaces of work-for-hire, our good friend Jon Mak was releasing a crazy, personal, aesthetically-driven game on a major console. Everyday Shooter was inspirational to us, and to be honest we felt like we needed to make better games because of it. Around the same time our friends at Metanet released N+, and it was these twin forces that gave us the courage to make games we truly cared about. Critter Crunch was our first step in that exciting direction. It was our first truly ‘independent’ project in the new era of Capy, and set us on the (amazing) path we’re on now.

We wanted to make something with the beauty of Miyazaki or early Disney animation, but at its core was a love-letter to games like Dr. Mario & Magical Drop. We wanted to cram it with jokes and charm and character and multiplayer modes you could play with friends or significant others.

To this day, we still love the heck out of Critter Crunch. And we hope you love it too, or will love it if you buy it while it’s on sale for $0.99.

— Nathan Vella, Capy co-founder & president

Fast-forward many years, and the strong friendship and mutual respect which (at least partially) began with these games led to Queasy asking Capy to help out on a crazy musical toy-meets-platformer called Sound Shapes. And we all know how that turned out! Stay tuned for some fun stuff we have planned for the first anniversary of Sound Shapes’ launch on August 7th.

So, if you own Everyday Shooter and/or Critter Crunch, Capy and Queasy thank you. If you don’t, please take this chance to give them a shot for a single dollar each.

Thanks everyone!

Add Your Own

JMG24BAD said:

July 23rd, 3:39 pm

I’ll buy both!

Wario64 said:

July 23rd, 3:39 pm

Already done

StingrayX said:

July 23rd, 3:44 pm

Sure!

Wozman23 said:

July 23rd, 3:52 pm

I originally never got around to picking up Everyday Shooter despite wanting to, but after being floored by how amazing Sound Shapes was, I picked it up on sale on Steam. For 99 cents I may rebuy it.

I look forward to any continued support of Sound Shapes (and secretly wish Reznor would collaborate).

Jonathan Mak's Avatar

Nathan Vella said:

July 23rd, 5:48 pm

As we mentioned in the blog post, the 1 year anniversary is coming up and some funky stuff is on the hopper :)

PSN_Tokeio said:

July 23rd, 3:56 pm

Bought them a long time ago and still love them. I hope to see more Capy & Queasy games on PS3 and Vita soon!

PS: I secretly wish for Critter Crunch on Vita… and my home screen on my Vita is Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery, you can guess what I’m really wishing for on Vita… I’m kind of an indie game nut :)

snakeeyes211 said:

July 23rd, 4:11 pm

Already done :-)

AgentX said:

July 23rd, 4:11 pm

I’ve already got both of these excellent games, but I figured I’d make my voice heard here and say that I highly recommend both of them. At a price of only 99¢ each, I’d urge anyone who doesn’t have them yet to give them a try.

Dientes_chuecos said:

July 23rd, 4:13 pm

I love a dollar sales. I just bought critter crunch. I´ll watch videos of “Everyday Shooter” to see if I buy it.

Zezzler said:

July 23rd, 5:02 pm

Toronto represent!

Jonathan Mak's Avatar

Nathan Vella said:

July 23rd, 5:42 pm

There’s a heck of a lot of amazing games coming out of our fair city.

NOT EVEN ROB FORD CAN STOP US MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

Mobius2525 said:

July 23rd, 5:11 pm

$0.99 Each this is a good buy.

wilfareus said:

July 23rd, 5:25 pm

I’ll buy this! in hopes they will come on to the Vita :D

Kchow23 said:

July 23rd, 6:03 pm

I would love to see another Capy game on PlayStation.. been a while and Critter Crunch is awesome!

angelspawn77 said:

July 23rd, 6:09 pm

Great news, will be buying both! Are these on Vita as well or only ps3? Would love to have these on the go. Games like this actually fit better that way.

KidCommando said:

July 23rd, 6:35 pm

both are great games.

Played Everyday Shooter like a mad man on PSP.

PainOfSarrow said:

July 23rd, 6:57 pm

GREATTT. i luv 1$ sales. i already own critter crunch, soooo everyday shooter for me.

SpooNManX said:

July 23rd, 7:43 pm

Everyday Shooter is excellent and well worth more than 99 cents, but I’d pay $5 to get trophies added to it!

gokugt25 said:

July 23rd, 9:40 pm

I tried the demo of Critter Crunch and fell in love with it! ^-^
Definetly going to buy it!!!

AizawaYuuichi said:

July 24th, 1:44 am

I already grabbed Critter Crunch a couple months ago when it was on sale, I think it was $3 maybe? Had a blast playing it.
For $0.99, I’ll definitely grab Everyday Shooter, just for the heck of it.

Elvick_ said:

July 24th, 2:20 am

I saw on neogaf (link in separate comment, so I can avoid moderation on this one) that Critter Crunch was wanted on Vita, but it “wasn’t meant to be”…

WHY U DO THIS TO ME?

I would gladly buy it again on my PS Vita. I bought Critter Crunch the day it came out and loved it.

Aces73High said:

July 24th, 3:31 am

Nathan, Nathan, Nathan, if you’re still around buddy, please, I wanted to put a very brief question to you regarding the utterly sublime – and downright gorgeous – Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, if that’s okay with you?

Since first playing it on iPad on the day of it’s App Store debut, your pixelicious, Guthrie-enthused, masterpiece has gotten under my skin, like no other game before or since. I’m a huge fan of the indie gaming scene, and wherever possible, try to do what little I can to support talented outfits like Capy, and of course, Queasy, Curve, FuturLab, Amanita, Play Dead, Clever Beans, and many, many more besides. With this in mind, despite my complete lack of a decent PC/laptop, I grabbed S:S&S EP when it later hit PC, and I even grabbed the iPhone-only, Micro edition.

Aces73High said:

July 24th, 3:33 am

^^^ continued ^^^

A little off topic I know, but Sword & Sworcery made such a profound impression on my gaming senses, forever affecting my expectations and even my own preferences regarding art, music and genuine indie flair, I can’t help but wish I could play it on my handheld indie-box-of-fun. That’s right folks, there in lies my ‘brief question’:

…will I ever be able to play the 8-bit Scythian heroines adventure on my wonderful, wonderful Playstation Vita??!!

gdljjrodMEX said:

July 24th, 6:44 am

and for my PSvita?????????

CullenX said:

July 24th, 7:47 am

I already own and love both of these games. If you’re unsure, you should definitely buy them. Any chance for them to come to Vita? I’d buy them all over again!

wilfareus said:

July 24th, 7:52 am

Please consider Vita versions -tears of a Vita fan-

Bendolar123 said:

July 24th, 9:09 am

No Funds in PSN wallet so i will be missing thiz Awesome sale…Too bad am not a PS Plus member!!!I wish i was one of them!!!

Asphaltum said:

July 24th, 10:39 am

Ya baby! Some Toronto love for all of you on PSN. Keep up the good work guys. Us Torontonian gamers appreciate all your hard work.

Freshh23 said:

July 24th, 11:03 am

Those games should be priced like this to begin with. If these games were on mobile OS’ they would be free or .99. Stop doing greedy or anti consumer practices and stop ripping us off. That’s a problem with this industry, the corporations always doing those things and enough dumb consumers support it.

Welmosca said:

July 24th, 12:40 pm

I was in doubt about these 2 games…because I always buy games at 1 dollar…..and I have heard about Critter Crunch before but never saw it in action….but now seeing all the people here talking well about it…I think I’ll buy both.I have Sound Shapes and its fantastic.

tusunami said:

July 24th, 1:46 pm

For anyone that hasn’t bought these games there both excellent. I have both good times!!!!!!!!!

Erlaxis said:

July 24th, 2:17 pm

I’ve never played Everyday Shooter because I bought my PS3 in 2010, quite a while after the game was released. But I find really interesting the fact that every once in a while I hear/read someone telling great things about it. This sale is my chance to experience the game’s magic. Also, I loved Sound Shapes.

Lefoul-123 said:

July 24th, 5:41 pm

Just buyed critter crunch, Looks like fun.

alexbhp said:

July 24th, 5:54 pm

Well finally, I have been waiting to buy Everyday Shooter forever, since it came out it only was on Sale ONCE for $4.99 when I couldn’t buy it. Now finally I can buy it. PS Store needs to put some of the old content for sale more often. I wanted to buy some OLD DLC (i.e. FEAR 2 Reborn) but it is never on sale…. Steam understand that people will throw money at them if you give them old games for cheap or even games you already own in another platform. Looking forward to the enhancements in the PS Store on the PS4.

soldierone said:

July 24th, 10:15 pm

Dangit, doesn’t include the Vita version. Ugh.

Splodem said:

July 25th, 12:43 am

$7.99 for the Vita? Great.

Pendharker said:

July 25th, 10:06 am

Everyday Shooter is one of the best PSN games you could ever own. Every time I play it, I’m amazed at how well crafted it is for such a (seemingly) simple game. Let me tell you now that it is NOT a simple game. It’s a gorgeous musical experience you dynamically create as you inject yourself into the midst of intense, precise shooter combat. Check that action out and grab Everyday Shooter!

Critter Crunch was lovely to look at, but didn’t grab me as a gamer.