Final Fantasy XV

Aug 29

Aug 29

Mobile Billing Now Available for PlayStation Store

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Today, we unveiled a new feature that allows you to purchase content from PlayStation Store and across Sony Entertainment Network using a mobile phone account in the United States. The new Mobile Billing feature makes it easier for you to purchase games, add-ons, movies, and TV shows, as well as subscriptions to Music Unlimited service.

Mobile Billing on PlayStation Store, 02

You can add funds to your account through PlayStation Store on PS3, or Account Management at the Sony Entertainment Network web site. While on the Add Funds to wallet screen, you can choose “Use Mobile” as the payment option, enter your mobile phone number, and respond via SMS to confirm the wallet top-up.* The wallet top-up charge will appear on your next mobile phone bill, or is debited against your pre-paid account.**

Mobile Billing on PlayStation Store, 01Mobile Billing on PlayStation Store, 03

With an unprecedented amount of digital content now available across the network, and new and convenient ways to fund your account, this is another step to make it easier for you to get the latest games, movies, and more for your PS3, PS Vita, and PSP, all from PlayStation Store and Sony Entertainment Network online.

*Standard messaging rates apply.
**Terms and conditions apply, which include those of Sony entities, third party service providers, and mobile phone companies. Pre-paid debit where applicable, please check with your carrier.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

KazeEternal said:

August 29th, 2:14 pm

What was the purpose of this? Why would I want to use it over my Credit Card or Debit Card?

Tjoeb123 said:

August 29th, 2:17 pm

I’m guessing TracFone (and other prepaid carriers) isn’t eligible?

lisatsunami said:

August 29th, 2:19 pm

Well, I still like the dinosaur method, using pre-paid cards, but in America, the more options, the better.

Thanks for continuing to increase convenience, Eric. The web store is the greatest thing Playstation has done since adding cloud storage for Plus.

helbertpina said:

August 29th, 2:20 pm

Tried to add funds using my balance on PayPal (instead of using my CC), but it failed… Can it be done?

lisatsunami said:

August 29th, 2:20 pm

Tj, can you use those pre-paids at other places, like Starbucks? I don’t use that feature but I see a lot of people paying by phone there.

RES5KING said:

August 29th, 2:27 pm

I think this is great. More options to pay for games with!

gohan16ken said:

August 29th, 2:33 pm

Please add two step verification and the ability to add and chat with friends from the website. Thanks.

AirMaxPenny said:

August 29th, 2:33 pm

Do these funds tie in to Google Play wallet / Apple App Store, or do they hit your wireless carrier bill directly?

For example, can I buy a game with all this google play wallet credit I have sitting around, or will Verizon charge me on my next bill?

Eric Lempel's Avatar

Greg Belloni said:

August 29th, 3:08 pm

Hi AirMaxPenny. Correct, when you use Mobile Billing to add funds to your wallet, the charges will hit your wireless carrier bill directly.

ptuck874 said:

August 29th, 2:34 pm

@4 I think you have to use whatever balance you have on there. I had same thing happen, but had a balance on the paypal to pay with. Do the add money from checking or credit card, then you should be able to use it on psn.

stlthriot said:

August 29th, 2:36 pm

Is there any way we could get a Search function for the Download List, on either the PS3 or the web version of the store, or both?

I have nearly 1200 items in my list and it takes forever to get to older items to re-download them. Or if a function could be added to the games page of games to redownload if it was already purchased.

Thanks!!! This would help much! :)

Ryumoau said:

August 29th, 2:48 pm

Could you please get rid of the annoying $5 minimum fund restrictions. There are times when there is only one thing i want on the store, usually dlc or an avatar, and it only costs a dollar or 2. Its annoying not being able to just buy those few things without having to put $5 down.

CommandingTiger said:

August 29th, 2:56 pm

Can you use debit cards?
Directly from the bank.

trush1492 said:

August 29th, 2:59 pm

@Ryumoau

I was attempting to purchase something a couple of hours ago and it actually gave me the option of adding the exact funds!

Ryumoau said:

August 29th, 2:59 pm

@12
i use my Debit card all the time. i just enter my card info in the Account Management option on my ps3.

Ryumoau said:

August 29th, 3:01 pm

@13 really? then hurray!! :D

Was this just using the sony online website or can i do the exact amount if i use the psn store on the ps3 as well?

trush1492 said:

August 29th, 3:02 pm

I was in the ps store and it was allowing exactly $5.99 for Limbo using my debit card.

trush1492 said:

August 29th, 3:02 pm

On my ps3

T3DV0L70L1N4 said:

August 29th, 3:02 pm

When I saw the headline for this, I thought Sony was letting users purchase content from their phones. Like a PlayStation app, or a mobile-friendly web store, since the current web store is a terrible experience on mobile. Guess I’ll keep waiting for that.

Ryumoau said:

August 29th, 3:03 pm

@12 i see thanks.

Busca-Cabezas said:

August 29th, 3:12 pm

This option is AWESOME! This is really convenient for me! Now, this looks like a step towards one of the many Awesome PS4 features. Can’t wait to try it out! Buy game content from my Xperia and have my PS4 downloading with everything ready by the time I get home. Greatness!

Xoombie503 said:

August 29th, 3:31 pm

@16 if its more than 5 then yes itll fund the exact amount.if its $2.99 itll fund $5 no matter what.

Tjoeb123 said:

August 29th, 3:34 pm

@5 I don’t understand your question….? You buy a TracFone and a minutes card at your local Wal-Mart/dollar store, activate it online, and you can add minutes either online or at a retail store.

Also, those phones are just regular cell phones.

WooTs_67 said:

August 29th, 3:35 pm

does this work for Canada?

Tjoeb123 said:

August 29th, 3:39 pm

@15 You can pay the exact amount, so long as it’s over $5, and on any store. (Why can’t the PS Vita support the shopping cart like the PS3/Web does?)

Xx_MR-mmh_Xx said:

August 29th, 3:44 pm

is this will be Available in anther region ?

i really hope that .this will help psn to be more active and more seals you will go
t ok. most time games more than 10 but you do sales on psn games get under 10 dollar
i really really hope i cam use this on my Saudi Arabia psn account .

Draxido said:

August 29th, 3:45 pm

This is it SCEA, Europe got for PS VITA :

Jak&D Trilogy
Urban Freestyle
Little king
Stealth Inc.

YES PEOPLE, 4 GAMES (crossbuys in JYD and Stealth, i have a friend with EU account)

AND YOU GIVE US A PSP GTA AND A RAYMAN ORIGINS THAT YOU PUT IN 6 DOLLARS 3 WEEKS AGO???

SERIOUSLY GUYS, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAP !!!!!!!!

i always defended you in all the Spain forums and UK forums…. i always supported you because even if our IGC SUCK, you gave us nice discounts

BUT THIS IS IT, I DONT CARE IF I GET BANNED OR SOMETHING, I CANT BE QUIET WITH THIS ABUSE.

Seriously SCEA, you REALLY SUCK.

DJHaole said:

August 29th, 4:08 pm

This will be great when I can use it with Verizon, can’t wait

bakerarmy said:

August 29th, 4:20 pm

Hold up….. So you are basically opening a line of credit to consumers (not that u are backing) by letting us purchase content and put it on our cellphone bill. Like a simple text message charge, u get paid and the cell company takes all the risk. Sounds a little questionable with business ethics these days

coolasj19 said:

August 29th, 5:01 pm

I saw this yesterday, I thought about doing it to pay for Spelunky. More ways to pay for content is always good. But, I can totally see a way to abuse this. All it takes is someones phone.

trum3n1 said:

August 29th, 5:08 pm

I deactivated my accounts by using this website and now i have to do this again cause my console died and i have a new one but i can’t because i have to wait stupid 6 months to do this. Anyway to do it without waiting?

MushThePainter said:

August 29th, 5:08 pm

Thank you!! I hate buying PSN cards and my ps3 won’t accept my credit card because for some reason the address doesn’t match, I’ve tried dozens of times and it charges you a dollar every time.

drd7of14 said:

August 29th, 5:44 pm

@26, Jak & Daxter Collection is not cross buy, and you left out Assassin’s Creed 3…

Jhall86 said:

August 29th, 6:40 pm

I have t-mobile prepaid in the US and its not supported. i have some extra money in my account i wanted to use to get the walking dead on my vita. Will t-mobile prepaid be added?

lele1620 said:

August 29th, 7:27 pm

this is cool but i’m hoping the dedicated PSN app is coming soon to deal with this in a much better and streamlined way

lele1620 said:

August 29th, 7:28 pm

is this for all carriers and phone compatible

animeniac said:

August 29th, 11:14 pm

This is pretty cool, though my wireless bill is already high enough as it is, lol. Still, nice job Sony. :D

jimfear said:

August 29th, 11:44 pm

Make this available for canada too… You know sony, we exist and we also buy stuff on psn :P

Tekn0tize said:

August 30th, 4:31 am

Great!! Yet another payment system that probably doesn’t work. PayPal support already does not work. I tried it a dozen times and it keeps erroring out one me despite my PayPal working 100% everywhere else.

I will never expose my credit card to Sony. Not after how badly they kept getting hacked. For now, I’m still stuck with buying physical PSN cards and using that.

Fix Paypal to work before doing these less useful methods.

morris1129 said:

August 30th, 5:32 am

Doesn’t work with Verizon Wireless.

tkc53566 said:

August 30th, 7:20 am

When would you expect support for US Cellular?

Ryumoau said:

August 30th, 8:52 am

@21 and 24

yeah thats what i meant. I want to be able to buy things that cost less than $5, without having to add a full $5 to my wallet. i guess they will never fix that. :(

DeeBG said:

August 30th, 10:39 am

Paying by mobile is a very popular method in Europe (not via NFC, but using the method shown here). A bit surprised to see it offered to US customers but I’m all for as many alternative payment method as possible (lol if Bitcoin was directly accepted I’d be in heaven, but buying pre-paid cards from a reputable seller as a bit of a markup works for now).

It’s a bit off-topic, however we are getting closer to the PS4 launch and haven’t heard/seen much about the new/redesigned PlayStation App for mobile devices. Do you know when we might hear more (TGS maybe?). Thanks!

PhatMan3579 said:

August 30th, 11:53 am

I tried adding funds from the website but the text message never appeared (I did this 3 times, not one text has gone through) and then I tried through the Store on my PS3 and now it’s saying I have a mobile network limit. What am I doing wrong?

GABEv01 said:

August 30th, 12:25 pm

I tried it and it worked perfectly! It’s better than buying PSN cards. I did used to have my atm/credit card info on my account, that used to be the best way. After the PSN outage in 2011 I’ve yet to be able to add my card again. Now, this new method makes it very convenient for me once again. Thk u SONY! *your soon to be broke customer (Hehe!)

FireDragonMonkey said:

August 30th, 1:09 pm

I read the title and I thought it meant that we will FINALLY be able to buy games and other content FROM our smartphones. Sadly it seems I’ve misread it :(

While this is a pretty good option for those who don’t want to or don’t have Paypal (which was a welcome addition) or a credit card, please could you make a mobile app for the PS3 or at least make it so that we can purchase things for the PS3 from the Vita?

Thanks

Slaughter_007 said:

August 30th, 2:12 pm

Wow no Support for Sprint or Verizon carriers yet? I guess that is something that will be added in the future? Good idea just unhappy my provider not supported yet

frantzy12 said:

August 30th, 5:49 pm

Any idea when this will support Sprint? I would appreciate it if a mod could enlighten when other carries will be supported if ever.

frantzy12 said:

August 30th, 7:05 pm

@30 You can ask live support to deactivate all ps3 connected to your account for you that’s what I did when I had this problem.

bonzaey said:

September 4th, 6:07 am

Hi, will this come to EU as well?

R4D10K177 said: