God of War

Aug 30

Aug 30

Roguelike Puzzle Game, Road Not Taken, Coming to PS4, PS Vita in 2014

David Edery's Avatar Posted by CEO, Spry Fox

Hi folks! It’s an honor to be posting here for the first time. I’m the co-founder of a studio called Spry Fox. We’ve made some well-known mobile and PC games such as Steambirds, Triple Town, and Realm of the Mad God. I’m super excited to announce that our next title — an original puzzle game called Road Not Taken — will be launching on PS4 and PS Vita in early 2014!

Road Not Taken is a game about life’s surprises, both positive and negative. In our take on Robert Frost’s poem of the same name, you wander through a mysterious forest in the aftermath of a large snowstorm. As you explore, you’ll come across wild animals, impassable barriers, and lost children. Road Not Taken explores the question: “What happens when life’s events throw you off the path you expected to take?” It’s been a lot of fun for us to try and stretch the ideas that games can tackle!

Road Not Taken on PS4 and PS Vita

In terms of gameplay, you can think of Road Not Taken as a puzzle roguelike.

• You can play for dozens of hours, and no two sessions will ever be quite alike.
  • Each game is full of unexpected surprises and dangers, and we’re not going to spell out how to play it. What does each creature do? Figure it out!
  • You’re going to die many, many times.

But you won’t mind death in Road Not Taken, because each death teaches you something new about how the world works and how you might do better next time. The world unfolds and becomes more complex over time, as well; you’ll progressively unlock new things to encounter, and boosts that change the way you play the game.

Road Not Taken on PS4 and PS Vita

There have been some really fantastic roguelikes that have been released in the past few years. Games like FTL and Don’t Starve, for example. We’re hoping that Road Not Taken appeals to the people who loved those games, but also to people who really enjoy thinking through a tricky puzzle without time pressure.

We’ve put together a little trailer to give you a taste of what Road Not Taken is all about, which you can find above. And if you want more information about us, you can visit our website!

Add Your Own

ItsNymo said:

August 30th, 9:08 pm

huh, I knew this looked familiar! As soon as I saw the pictures, I immediately thought “Hey, this reminds me of Triple Town!” Heh
Loved the other Spryfox games before, and RNT looks great! Can’t wait to play on my Vita & PS4 soon!

Brapp347 said:

August 30th, 9:08 pm

Awesome! I’m obsessed with triple town, so when this was announced, I was excited to see what this game was about. Glad to hear it’s comin to ps4 and vita :D

NinjaMicWZ said:

August 30th, 9:10 pm

Oh hell yeah…

Top down. Check.

2D. Check.

Gorgeous. Check.

Fantasy and cool. Check.

Grid based and procedural movement puzzles? Check.

Sold. Day 1, Vita… and PS4 if I have one by then. Very nice.

TXCScorpion said:

August 30th, 9:13 pm

You have my interest and my money for when this comes out. I’ll stare at the wall and wait until then…

coolasj19 said:

August 30th, 9:32 pm

Your the same people that did Mad God? I put quiet a few hours into that game. How big is your team? By chance.

paulogy said:

August 30th, 9:33 pm

This looks AWESOME!

“thinking through a tricky puzzle without time pressure.” is exactly the kind of title I was looking forward to playing more of on my Vita. Excited to see more…

martinirage1 said:

August 30th, 9:51 pm

This game looks great. Thanks for bringing it to the vita. I might not have a ps4 by early 2014 but I’ll totally play this on the vita. You guys at Spry Fox rule!

U_NO_HOO said:

August 30th, 10:25 pm

This looks pretty cool, I might just check it out once its released.

tusunami said:

August 31st, 5:50 am

Once there is more gameplay then things will be more interesting. But however more games on PS vIta hoooooraaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boob-monster said:

August 31st, 8:21 am

Yes it looks cool, more gams for vita is always a good thing.

Thiagots85 said:

August 31st, 8:39 am

i’m confused…. but intrigued…. hope to see more

xClayMeow said:

August 31st, 9:11 am

Okay this just looks sweet! Is this real-time or turn-based? I assume the latter since you’re using a tile/grid system, but hard to tell 100%.

I’ve fallen in love with Roguelikes in recent years. I have over 150 hrs in Binding of Isaac, ~75 hrs in Dungeons of Dredmor, and have also enjoyed FTL and Don’t Starve, plus just bought Spelunky for Vita!

Will this be on Steam too or is it a Sony exclusive?

PainOfSarrow said:

August 31st, 11:13 am

is that the chicken legs guy from journey ? why does he even bother with snow anymore. foo never learns.

Elvick_ said:

August 31st, 4:38 pm

Can’t wait to play this on my PS Vita!

PHEEliNUX said:

September 1st, 12:14 pm

When i saw this in the homepage i immediately thought Pokemon
You have my interest however, Sadly this isn’t my type of games

allanhc8 said:

September 1st, 4:18 pm

The art looks cool, but I will wait to see for at least one gameplay video. Will buy for VITA (I hope this is Cross-Buy)

seraph979 said:

September 1st, 6:12 pm

i couldnt really tell what was going on in the trailer, but here’s hoping it’s going to be an awesome game!

Welmosca said:

September 2nd, 11:24 am

Oh man PS4?….F*** PS4….anyway thanks for bringing this to Vita….looks interesting and kinda fun.I dunno what is the excuse to not make this for PS3 but whatever if I buy it will be on Vita for sure.

Malpractice said:

September 6th, 10:08 pm

A good puzzle game on Vita sounds nice. Will have my eye on this.