PlayStation VR

Sep 19

Sep 19

How to Upgrade Select PS3 Games to Their PS4 Versions

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

Update: Watch_Dogs has a new release date in 2014. Due to this scheduling change, it will not be included in the upgrade program at this time.

As announced during PlayStation’s Gamescom press conference, there will be a simple way to upgrade to the PS4 digital version of four select games, for a low discounted price, when you buy the PS3 version of those games. Here are the full specifics so you’re set for November 15th — click here for full step-by-step instructions.

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, and Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition are the supported titles for this program. When you buy the Blu-ray Disc or digital version of these select PS3 games, for a limited time, you will receive an entitlement to download a PS4 digital copy of the same game from PlayStation Store when it becomes available, at the discounted price of $9.99.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag on PS3Call of Duty: Ghosts on PS3Battlefield 4 on PS3Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition on PS3

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag on PS4Call of Duty: Ghosts on PS4Battlefield 4 on PS4Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition on PS4

Gamers who purchase the digital version of any of these four games will not need to redeem a code to receive their PS4 versions. When your PS4 arrives, just look for the PS4 version of the game on PlayStation Store – it will appear on PlayStation Store on your PS4 for the discounted price of $9.99. Just purchase it and start playing!

But don’t wait: This program lasts for a limited time. You’ll need to redeem your code and make the purchase before January 31st, 2014 (for Assassin’s Creed IV and Watch_Dogs), March 28th (for Battlefield 4), or March 31st (for Call of Duty: Ghosts) in order to participate.

Get the full step-by-step instructions here.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 5

coconutshinobi said:

September 19th, 9:49 am

Nice deals, meanwhile, I am looking at you! BLIZZARD!

VladRedyarsk said:

September 19th, 9:50 am

What about FIFA 14?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

September 19th, 10:07 am

These are the currently supported titles – we’ll update you if any new ones enter the program

okelfo said:

September 19th, 9:50 am

I was sort of expecting GTA5 to get the same treatment. Oh, well… the game looks good enough on my PS3.

StarwindX9 said:

September 19th, 9:50 am

Will this be available for Fifa 14? I have seen EA mention something, but no solid details.

kilburni86 said:

September 19th, 9:51 am

“Gamers who purchase a PS3 Blu-ray Disc of these four games will find a code packed into the PS3 version that they can redeem on PlayStation Store. To play the PS4 version of the game when it becomes available, you’ll need to insert the original PS3 disc in your PS4 to activate and play the PS4 version, so hang onto that PS3 disc!”

“For those of you who purchase the PS3 disc version of the games, you do not need a PS4 system to redeem your code, so feel free to redeem it as soon as you pick up your PS3 copy — you can download your digital copy later when your PS4 arrives.”

Okay, I’m confused…which of these is correct?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

September 19th, 10:05 am

They both are – it just means you don’t need a PS4 to cash in the offer, so you could redeem the code and pay the fee, then download the game if you get a PS4 later!

Wolverine1977 said:

September 19th, 9:54 am

How about PS3 titles. Are we gonna be able to play our digital versions on PS4?

saintaqua said:

September 19th, 9:57 am

Seeing as how we would not be able to resell the disc, I think the upgrade should be 100% free. Were we able to sell the disc afterward, I think this price or even double would be fair.
Still, only one I’ll be buying is AC, and I can definitely wait for the PS4.

JinKariya said:

September 19th, 10:03 am

@5 They are both correct. I am not sure what you are confused about but when you buy stuff on playstation store you do not have to download it right away. What they are saying is buy the ps3 game at release date, enter your code to enable the download, pay the 9.99, buy your ps4, download the game onto your ps4, put your ps3 disc in and kill some stuff!

JimmyHACK said:

September 19th, 10:04 am

Great idea but my main question relates to AC4 specifically. Will we be also able to transfer our game progress to the PS4 version? If not, then I will just have to wait two weeks.

Cedarson said:

September 19th, 10:04 am

I wish you guys took a cue from this and did this with select Vita games as well (that don’t offer cross-buy … I’m looking at you MLB the Show). I understand that Vita games aren’t as expensive as PS3 so I wouldn’t expect a nominal fee, but it seems like you could help a brotha out somehow.

jupebox said:

September 19th, 10:04 am

No Madden? I agree that we will sell the old copies, and Sony gets no profit from these resells, so it would be to their advantage to provide free or $9.99 for every PS3 game. (Or at least games released within the past year.)

jupebox said:

September 19th, 10:05 am

How will PSN work? Will all of those games be playable?

StealthBlade98 said:

September 19th, 10:05 am

not bad but so far these are extremely limited :(

JimmyHACK said:

September 19th, 10:05 am

Also if we buy the digital AC4 Gold bundle with the season pass etc. Does the season pass transfer to our PS4 version?

dh4645 said:

September 19th, 10:06 am

@5 yeah, they are both correct. the 2nd one is just saying you can redeem your code before you get the ps4, but you still need the ps3 disc in your ps4 to play the ps4 digital version

JimmyHACK said:

September 19th, 10:07 am

@ kilburni86 you can redeem your code for the upgrade offer at any time on your account. You just can’t actually take advantage of your PS4 offer until you have the PS4 to play it on.

ULOSEonceAGAIN said:

September 19th, 10:07 am

WHAT BOUT MADDEN OR 2K????? SMH

vamperoX13 said:

September 19th, 10:07 am

I hope Diablo 3 will be a upgrade to the PS 4 for $9.99 ! DO THE RIGHT THING Activision !

dh4645 said:

September 19th, 10:08 am

do they have different trophy lists? or one shared list?

Hokage_45678 said:

September 19th, 10:08 am

I have one question to get clarified.

Will be be able to keep both the PS3 and PS4 versions with this upgrade offer?

Ejsponge61 said:

September 19th, 10:09 am

This sounds like we can just redeem our PS4 version as soon as we want and when ever we get a PS4, we will need to use the PS3 disc to finally download it.

It sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me!

kiss_the_baby82 said:

September 19th, 10:09 am

No Madden? not good since xbox 1 is….

ssjgoku80 said:

September 19th, 10:10 am

BLIZZARD!!!…Your move!

dh4645 said:

September 19th, 10:10 am

@20, yes. you keep ur ps3 disc and u have a ps4 digital version that can only be played with the ps3 disc in

Majorpain2587 said:

September 19th, 10:11 am

This is a good idea for the casual gamers, but not so appealing to the collectors like me. I want to display my new beautiful PS4 cases on a shelf for everyone to see. To bad you couldn’t have worked out a deal with retailers to exchange the previous version and $10 to get the newer version. This definitely could work by allowing the retailer to send it back to Sony as a rebate option. That way neither side loses money.

Nazotchi said:

September 19th, 10:12 am

Will we have to activate it with the PS3 disc EVERY time we want to play the game, or only for the initial download?

CradleOfFish said:

September 19th, 10:12 am

I’d rather upgrade to a physical copy than digital for that price. I am not impatient so I would wait for the game to come in the mail if they did it that way. But alas they will not, so if I want the PS4 versions of the games I should just by them first and wait until I get a PS4 since that way I can have the physical copy without having to buy both versions. Oh well.

bldudas said:

September 19th, 10:13 am

What if I get the PS3 version, on disk, and redeem the PS4 code and get a PS4 like two years later?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

September 19th, 11:24 am

Should be fine

Excko said:

September 19th, 10:14 am

What about Diablo 3?

rodriigm said:

September 19th, 10:14 am

Well done, Sony. This is really good!

jgrizzle358 said:

September 19th, 10:14 am

“]Step 4: Insert the PS3™ game disc into your PS4™ system**.

**PS3™ game disc required to play digital version of the game on your PS4™ system”

So.. It’s disc to digital conversion and you need the disc so you can’t sell it or trade it. *facepalm*

Thanks but no thanks, I’ll just hold out and buy the PS4 version retail from the get go. Save myself the headache of this tedious and pointless process.

dh4645 said:

September 19th, 10:15 am

@28 i would assume that as long as it’s your same username/profile. u’ll be able to download the ps4 digital version, but you have to keep your ps3 disc to play the digital version on ur ps4

Silex said:

September 19th, 10:15 am

Are the save files shared or convertible? I’m not sure how useful this is if you have to start the game over.

T3DV0L70L1N4 said:

September 19th, 10:16 am

Three questions:

1. If the PS4 can read PS3 discs in order to validate them, could that ability be used to validate ownership of a PS3 game and allow us to stream it for free on PS4 via Gaikai?

2. Will saved games, stats, trophies, etc transfer from the PS3 version to the PS4 version? This program wouldn’t be so useful if 20+ hours of progress spent in the PS3 version was unrecognized, and we’d need to start over on PS4.

3. If and WHEN Grand Theft Auto V is brought onto the PS4, can you add it to the list of eligible games?

FadeToOne said:

September 19th, 10:16 am

This implies that PS4 can read PS3 discs and verify ownership before letting us download a PS4 copy in general.

This should really be 100% free and advertised as an eventual replacement for backwards compatibility as more PS3 games can be added digitally.

Think of the moneys.

stlthriot said:

September 19th, 10:17 am

Definitely great to see! Makes the transition to PS4 even more smooth!

Btw, can we get a search function to re-download items? Maybe on the web store? It’s so hard to find things in my massive list of downloads.

guitarded77 said:

September 19th, 10:18 am

Diablo 3 please…

MajinGamerX said:

September 19th, 10:19 am

Does it matter what retailer I buy the PS3 physical disc from or does it need to be specifically from a Sony retailer to receive the deal?

dh4645 said:

September 19th, 10:20 am

@36, that is a great suggestion for the ps3. you can use the website to queue up downloads when you next turn on ur ps3 though. https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/home/main

spleener12 said:

September 19th, 10:20 am

Will saved games transfer?

Not a big thing for CoD and BF4 but not being able to do this with AC4 and WD makes this offer somewhat pointless.

cimerians said:

September 19th, 10:21 am

Diablo 3!!

GGCAN said:

September 19th, 10:21 am

Sounds great Sid.

Thanks for letting us know that it’s not a rumor any longer.

dh4645 said:

September 19th, 10:21 am

cassarcc said:

September 19th, 10:22 am

Well, like they say in Brazil, “Show de Bola!!!”, anything like Amazing!!!, Congratulations Sony, thinking ahead always!

Nomad-PhX said:

September 19th, 10:22 am

so if you can do this for ps3/ps4 why wasnt this option for psp/vita???

xx_shiv_xx said:

September 19th, 10:22 am

PLEASE tell me, will this work with the digital version of Call of Duty Ghosts Hardened Edition or just the standard?

CaptainRadical said:

September 19th, 10:24 am

After I upgrade, would I be able to give my PS3 copy to a friend because I don’t need it anymore? Or will there be some way that Uplay locks out the game somehow.

jgrizzle358 said:

September 19th, 10:24 am

So I can pay $70 to have a PS3 game and then later have the PS4 version, except digital and I need the PS3 disc to play the digital PS4 game… or I can pay $60 to just buy the PS4 game and avoid all that.
This is clearly for people with no patience.

Most of the games in the program are launch titles and I’m hopefully getting PS4 at launch, so I can wait. lol

spamandtuna said:

September 19th, 10:25 am

When it says “for a limited time”, that refers to the period in which the PS3 version must be purchased, correct? After that, there’s no time limit on when we purchase the discounted PS4 version?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

September 19th, 11:42 am

The limited time means a) redeeming the voucher and b) purchasing the discounted PS4 version. You’ll need to redeem your code and make the purchase before January 31st, 2014 (for Assassin’s Creed IV and Watch_Dogs), March 28th (for Battlefield 4), or March 31st (for Call of Duty: Ghosts) in order to participate.

jose213jose said:

September 19th, 10:25 am

So will the PS3 disc/download version stop working after you upgrade to the PS4 version then? FF14RR said something about it with their game and so is it going to affect the other games as well?

PAGE 1 2 3 5