God of War

Nov 14

Nov 14

PS4 Launch: It Begins

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

It won’t be long now! PS4 is is just hours from making its grand debut and lines are filling up at retailers nationwide. Meanwhile, the PlayStation team is holed up at The Standard, High Line, a luxury hotel in downtown New York City in preparation for one of the most dynamic launch events in gaming history (and psst: You’re invited!). Take a behind-the-scenes look at the week’s buildup, including a dazzling interactive light show and live PS4 gameplay projected on surrounding buildings. If you’re in the NYC area, this is one console launch you won’t want to miss. And yep, we’ve even got a special order of PS4s on sale just for you.

In other launch-related news, I had a chance to speak with Sony Computer Entertainment President and CEO Jack Tretton about PS4’s unique place in PlayStation history.

I also checked in with Andrew House, Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment to get his take on PS4’s successful launch and his goals for 2014 — watch it below.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

Mercenary09 said:

November 14th, 4:19 pm

Already got my PS4 from amazon today! Super Happy!

remanutd5 said:

November 14th, 4:24 pm

I’m getting mine from sony style store on saturday, i thought i was supposed to get it on launch day, oh well one more day :(

geneMag said:

November 14th, 4:26 pm

Going the launch event in downtown Vancouver(BC) tonight.
Hope I can grab one since I didn’t get the chance to preorder…

Mobius2525 said:

November 14th, 4:29 pm

2 PS4 from amazon ship to me:)

Vic00321 said:

November 14th, 4:30 pm

I’m really looking foward the PS4, but i’m afraid that in the launch it’l have some problems that might need fix, so i’l wait a little longer for this. ^^ Good luck for the people who’re getting at the launch!

ioanina said:

November 14th, 4:34 pm

Something tells me it’s going to be a while before I can get my hands on a PS4. I’m certain things with it will be much better once I’m certain it’s fine to get one. Just making sure.

If anyone has time to answer, if you kindly please, I have read somewhere that Blu-Ray Discs were supposed to have an increased layer capacity from 25GB to about 33.4GB a few years ago via Blu-Ray Player firmware upgrade. It’s true. I thought it would apply to Sony’s consoles, too, which had me thrilled, but I haven’t heard any confirmation from Sony that it may happen to PS3 or PS4 yet. Think it may happen to PS4 real soon? After all, more space, more bigger, longer disc based games, right?

I’m just surprised nobody’s even used the expanded layer capacity for games yet. Isn’t anyone?

beef_child said:

November 14th, 4:34 pm

I was all like, PS3 is still pretty darn good for at least a year or more. But all those purty pictures, and HEAVENLY SWORD AT 1:23. oooooo. ME WANT NOW!!!

dsigns209 said:

November 14th, 4:41 pm

I’m ready….just tell Amazon not to take too long to deliver tomorrow.

fixer1989 said:

November 14th, 4:41 pm

When will be the PS4 update go live on this website? Midnight? I want to download it in the day while at work so I can install it when I get home.

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

November 14th, 4:42 pm

my bro just pre ordered the ps4 and traded his 3 ps3 games …not knowing that you still need those ps3 games to play them on the ps4..lmao…he tiiiight…ps4 is lame..and so are the games being released day one..ima stick with my ps3 till MGS5 gets released..now thats a game worth getting a brand new system..all of ya dying to get it day one..have fun playing GTA ONLINE…ooh wait…you cant..lmao

CrispyCanuk said:

November 14th, 4:50 pm

The update is already live, and has been for a couple of days, they just haven’t advertised it.

JVENOM1 said:

November 14th, 4:51 pm

I got the #16 in line tonight for the launch

NO_FEAR said:

November 14th, 4:51 pm

Welcome to the house that Jack built. Come on in, take a seat, kick back and game on!
#greatnessawaits

JVENOM1 said:

November 14th, 4:52 pm

@9 its been live for 2 days. check the firmware update page

Alastor424 said:

November 14th, 4:59 pm

I hope mine works. I’m going to get it at midnight and a little scared after hearing a lot of hardware issues.

AnoyoIkari said:

November 14th, 5:07 pm

If Hideo Kojima announces a Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes edition PS4 tonight; then I’ll be pre ordering. Otherwise I’ll just be waiting till Ground Zeroes to be picking up a regular old PS4.

MrZ_2010 said:

November 14th, 5:09 pm

It’s 4 me, AWESOME!!!

Haskell420 said:

November 14th, 5:09 pm

HEY ALL….DON’T FORGET, TONIGHT AT 11PM ON SPIKE TV..IS THE OFFICIAL PLAYSTATION LAUNCH, LIVE FROM NYC!!

fixer1989 said:

November 14th, 5:13 pm

@13 Thanks for letting me know! The bottom of the page only shows the links to ps3, ps vita and psp firmwares so I wasn’t sure. Almost time to unleash the awesome!

samurai4hire said:

November 14th, 5:26 pm

I was fortunate enough to be able to pre-order my PS4 at Gamestop the day the release date was announced at E3. I hope all you have fun tonight..I know I sure will be!

redj944 said:

November 14th, 5:29 pm

The Playstation 4 ROCKS! I just wish i could put music on it and transfer my recorded game play to a pc :/. then it would be perfect!!! Please do this sony, please, it would mean the world to me. please…

demelo2008 said:

November 14th, 5:40 pm

I’m number 32 on line at my GameStop damn I can’t wait for this :) greatness is almost here

avluis said:

November 14th, 5:42 pm

I got two PS4s pre-ordered at my local GameStop and I was able to secure spot #1 and 2 today for their midnight launch. I’ll be online soon enough my friends!

jvasq said:

November 14th, 5:45 pm

does the ps4 store update at midnight?

Biggz124 said:

November 14th, 5:47 pm

Brace yourselves, Scalpers are coming.

perrandy said:

November 14th, 5:55 pm

i wont be getting a ps4 for awhile because my sponsor backed out of it.at any rate,i’ll have to wait for a long time in order to get one.in the meantime,ps3 and vita should be keeping me busy for the rest of this year and next’s….to those who will be there with sony at launch date,i’d say congrats and enjoy :3

Hail_Lord_Vader said:

November 14th, 6:01 pm

Well peeps Im impessed with the PS4 and got jitters in the stomach Simply put. Myself, my cuz Samurai4Hire luv ya bro, and my wife BabyGirl luv u too baby xoxoxoxoxoxo are getting the PS4 at Midnight tonight. If this crazy when u buy almost every PS4 game on lauch day a PS4 charge station and controller. Feel Free to comment

wocyob said:

November 14th, 6:01 pm

Is there a way to watch this event without having spike tv? If so please let me know.

destruction1983 said:

November 14th, 6:07 pm

midnight pick up at gamestop cant wait ;)))))

Metabolica said:

November 14th, 6:07 pm

Next Gen starts today peeps so happy to be a part of a grandiose experience going to get mines today.
Can’t really believe it that we are going to start a next gen…I know it sounds kind of tacky but it really does mean alot…was there when the ps one got announced and look at me now going to be there to get my ps4… brings a tear to my eye it really does….Long Live & Play!!!

XOcakemeee said:

November 14th, 6:08 pm

Was 12th in line tonight! Cant wait to grab it at midnight!

JVENOM1 said:

November 14th, 6:13 pm

it will be cool to be with all the PlayStation family as they receive the greatness that is the PS4 tonight during launch event across the US. I great time to be a PS fan !

Yuranium said:

November 14th, 6:14 pm

I missed the delivery today. Nuuuuuuuuuu. Will be here tomorrow. The wait is killing me. At least I get to go to a midnight launch with a friend. Enjoy everybody!!!!!!

starspd11 said:

November 14th, 6:17 pm

Picking mine up at my local Best Buy in a few hours. I’m so excited, I don’t know if I can concentrate on the road when I drive over there. :)

Dark_SoldierPS said:

November 14th, 6:22 pm

my ps4 from amazon shipping Now

Alyyse said:

November 14th, 6:24 pm

I wish i could afford one :(

Haskell420 said:

November 14th, 6:28 pm

ANY UPDATES ON WHAT KIND OF 2.5″ HARD DRIVES WE CAN AND CANNOT USE?

tusunami said:

November 14th, 6:38 pm

Well for those that will be joining me with a PS4 good times indeed. For that can’t or won’t be be getting 1 till who knows when don’t be upset & try to talk negative for those that will have a PS4. PS4 day 1 shipping I’m out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elvick_ said:

November 14th, 6:40 pm

JJLet’s do it.

magooser said:

November 14th, 6:41 pm

Lucky bums. Wish I could get one now. Will probably have to wait until tax returns….

MKPACK said:

November 14th, 6:55 pm

Jack,
This is one PS4 buyer that is already unhappy. I wasn’t allowed to cancel my PSN pre-order for Knack despite it not being out yet, while most retailers would have allowed it to be returned. I would discourage others from buying through the PSN due to consumer unfriendly policies. Then I find out that one of the first PS+ games, Contrast, is describe as “broken” by reviewers; this is more than a tad disappointing that you would include a poor product in the Instant a Game a Collection (please encourage fixes to the fixable problems in Knack and a Contrast!). Count me as one of the people who wished he’d have waited before investing hard earned, but limited, funds in you products. I hope you fix the problems that are out there, make PSN more consumer friendly, and do better in the future. Note, it’s not too late to refund my money for the game I haven’t downloaded.

Ryumoau said:

November 14th, 6:56 pm

I’m lucky number 20 on the gamestop ps4 wait line tonight, so hopefully i’ll be heading home with my ps4 by 12:10am. :)

jose213jose said:

November 14th, 7:04 pm

I’ll have my PS4 tomorrow with BF4, Killzone Shadow Fall, and NBA 2K14. Thanks Sony for bringing console that truly has Greatness; all the Sony works plus game company’s who put their heart and soul into bringing gamers next gen that will rules with iron fist with great hardware combine with software and video games.

“May Greatness Await no longer then mighty gods raging to unleash their true inner self as gamer and play some awesome video games on Playstation 4.” ;)

I love to say things that make no sense half the time or do i. >.<

luvmyR6 said:

November 14th, 7:15 pm

I hope someone’s lucky #20 console gets bricked.

TWODEEEE said:

November 14th, 9:56 pm

wish my ps4 would let me log in, network down?

Tr0jan1337 said:

November 14th, 9:58 pm

Yeah, my PS4 will not let me sign in. Sony, please fix this? I can sign in fine on my PS3.

TWODEEEE said:

November 14th, 10:00 pm

ill play assassins creed til its fixed

dragon_raver said:

November 14th, 10:09 pm

have my ps4 and psn login doesn’t work

RDFish90 said:

November 14th, 10:09 pm

Also having problems with signing into PSN. Just stuck on a continuous “please wait…” Get this fixed NOW!!!

dragon_raver said:

November 14th, 10:10 pm

oh i’m one of many guess the switch to turn psn on the ps4 hasn’t been switched on

PAGE 1 2 3