Farpoint

Nov 20

Nov 20

Daily Challenges Now Available in Spelunky on PS3 and PS Vita

Derek Yu's Avatar Posted by Mossmouth

Spelunky on PS3 and PS Vita

Hey, everyone! It’s Derek once again. First off, thank you for your tremendous support of Spelunky on PS3 and PS Vita. You’ve made it clear that it was the right choice bringing the game to PlayStation! We’re really happy about how the game has been received (generally with much glee, followed by screams of anguish, followed by more glee).

But I’m really here to talk about our first update, which is out now. Of course, every game launches with some number of bugs, and Blitworks has been working hard to fix as many of those as possible. The slowdown in certain areas of the game was probably the biggest issue, and that’s been addressed. They also fixed a bug that was preventing certain Trophies from being earned.

Also, if you’ve been watching streams of people playing Spelunky on PC, you may have noticed that that version of the game has a unique feature called the Daily Challenge, where each day a set of levels is generated that has the same seed for everyone playing it. If you get a high score on the Daily Challenge, you can really attribute it to your skill and knowledge of the game, rather than the luck of the draw (i.e. serious bragging rights).

Spelunky on PS Vita and PS3Spelunky on PS Vita and PS3

On top of that, you only get one chance to play the Daily — if you die, you gotta wait until the next day to try again! So yeah, somehow we managed to crank up the tension of playing Spelunky even higher… and PC players seem to really like it!

When Blit heard about this new mode, they couldn’t wait to implement it on PSN. That’s one of the great things about working with them — they love their work and relish the technical challenges of doing an awesome port. It’s right in line with the spirit of Spelunky and the spirit of the Daily, which, as you may have guessed, you can now play on PSN as part of this update.

So enjoy the Daily Challenge. Enjoy the bug fixes and optimizations. Enjoy life. (Enjoy death, too.) Just enjoy.

(And special thanks to Doug Wilson and Zach Gage. They gave us the idea for the Daily Challenge in the first place and have been great friends and supporters for a long time. You guys are the best.)

Add Your Own

Stompy_MwC said:

November 20th, 12:11 pm

This is fantastic! I’ve really been looking forward to the Daily Challenges. Thank you all so much! This is a great game, and a great port. Outstanding job all around.

xClayMeow said:

November 20th, 12:11 pm

Like I needed another reason to play this?! This game is so addicting on the Vita!

Nintendo451 said:

November 20th, 12:17 pm

Especially after the whole Eggplant run on PC thing last week, do you or Blitworks have any plans on bringing the game to PS4? The Twitch support would be phenomenal for the console version.

naDOOFUS said:

November 20th, 12:21 pm

Best news ever, my jaw dropped. Thank you so much Derek and the whole PS crew.

Phedran said:

November 20th, 12:22 pm

YES! I haven’t checked yet but do we have quickstart and does it save our selected character skin as well? Those are the two other features I desperately yearn for.

Khaoz76 said:

November 20th, 12:25 pm

This was a really cool surprise for me today. I had no idea it was going to be added to this version, but I’m very happy it was. Thanks to everyone working on this great game!

Derek Yu's Avatar

Justin Massongill said:

November 20th, 12:26 pm

HNNNGGG PUT IT IN MY VEINS

Derek Yu's Avatar

Justin Massongill said:

November 20th, 12:26 pm

Also I got to stage 1-2 on my inaugural Daily Challenge. Go me!

Rezolution77 said:

November 20th, 12:37 pm

Nice feature.
Thought it was a nice addition to Unit 13.

Do not own the game, but will consider it even more if it goes on sale.

jou321 said:

November 20th, 12:41 pm

Wow, what an unexpected surprise. I guess this gives me a reason to keep my PS3 plugged in. The only thing that would make this announcement cooler is if Spelunky was announced for the PS4 :)

War_Machida said:

November 20th, 12:44 pm

So, this is a perfect title to get a discount on this year’s black friday >:D

OuterSpaceJunky said:

November 20th, 12:54 pm

Echoing others’ sentiment. I am so excited to hear this! Spelunky fills most of my Vita time already, and this will only add to that. What a wonderful surprise!

Crunchewy said:

November 20th, 1:07 pm

I was expecting the bug fixes but not the Daily Challenge!! This is so fantastic! I can’t wait to update and try today’s. :)

Crunchewy said:

November 20th, 1:09 pm

I don’t have a PS4, but I would LOVE for Spelunky to come to it. In fact that would pretty much do it for me and I’d have to get a PS4. I’m a Spelunky addict and want to stream to twitch (hopefully it would work with Spelunky Death Roulette). My computers aren’t adequate for streaming hardware options, so having that built into PS4 is awesome… the PS4 just needs more Spelunky. :)

Super_Aggro_Crag said:

November 20th, 1:10 pm

Fantastic news. Spelunky is amazing on vita.

Aliothale said:

November 20th, 1:19 pm

Thanks! I actually waited for the game to go off sale to buy it since I don’t have it on PC yet! I heard nothing but awesome things so I wanted to pay full price to support. I love it for my Vita, thanks for bringing it over to the handheld!

TheSoapyNinja said:

November 20th, 1:21 pm

Awesome news! I love Spelunky on the Vita and this just made it better.

Will this update also be coming to the XBLA version as well?

erapago said:

November 20th, 1:25 pm

This is the best news. The best. Thanks for adding it to both versions, but a very big thanks for fixing the fog framerates.

cowmamba said:

November 20th, 1:46 pm

Fantastic news!

IIL0YDII said:

November 20th, 1:47 pm

What about slowdowns/framerate drops in Vita version? Golden city, Ice caves etc.?

Robert-Jon said:

November 20th, 1:47 pm

Puh-leaaaase bring this to PS4!!

IIL0YDII said:

November 20th, 1:58 pm

Nevermind just downloaded and read changelog.

mmaher said:

November 20th, 2:02 pm

More reasons to play more Spelunky?

yes plz.

ItaChu said:

November 20th, 2:24 pm

woooooo awesome news :) i always wanted the daily challenges on psn :) thanks a lot

Gorvi said:

November 20th, 2:24 pm

Great, just when I had set Spelunky down for a bit. Right back at it I guess.

dimmuh499 said:

November 20th, 2:56 pm

This is the greatest news for everyone who has yearned to complete the daily challenge on the toilet. I am one of those. Hurray ! (first paragraph of this sounds like a written E3 speech, noone talks like that)

fgeo said:

November 20th, 3:47 pm

So happy about this update :)

For me, playing Spelunky on-the-go is _the_ reason for owning a Vita, a ‘system seller’.

Thanks Derek for a truly amazing game, and Blitworks for the terrific port !

Also thank you Sony for making the Vita one of the best places to experience indie gems like Spelunky.

tusunami said:

November 20th, 4:03 pm

I haven’t played this game at all i have been meaning to get it. But now that i have a PS4 who knows when i’ll get around to playing this.

Rirse said:

November 20th, 4:13 pm

Played the daily challenge on the Vita just now, almost all slowdowns are gone and the trophy for killing King Yema now works. Areas that had slowdowns like “Dead Are Restless”, blizzard effects in the Ice Cave, and Hell are working fine now, but City of Gold still has slowdown at times, then again it had a bunch of lava plums in the daily challenge version. Outside of one issue it works great now and makes me happy.

Rirse said:

November 20th, 4:18 pm

Sadly it looks like the game still doesn’t save your Spelunker, always defaulting to the original guy. If you do one more patch, can you add the Quick Start and Saved Character feature along with fixing the City of Gold (if possible).

Aadrianseth said:

November 20th, 6:27 pm

Been playing Spelunky since the XBLA release (been following Spelunky news since the HD trailer), and bought it for the Vita, which i find is great for quick spelunky runs while on the go! And now when i have nothing to do at home, i can challenge my friends to the daily challenge! THANK YOU DEREK!

Elvick_ said:

November 20th, 7:23 pm

Excellent news! Makes me happy I bought the game launch day.

CYLON3173 said:

November 20th, 7:54 pm

Derek,
Since i got a PS4!
this game is one of the only reasons
i still turn on the PS3.
Now i’ve gotta do it daily!

also PLEASE i want
#SpelunkyOnPS4
it would be awesome in
1080p 60fps.

Last thing @NiCK SUTTNER
U still planning on doing a
Spelunky Tips part2 Blog post?

coolasj19 said:

November 20th, 7:54 pm

Everytime I run from Spelunky. It pulls me back in. Derek, I believe you have created “a perfect game”. That’s all that needs to be said. This is one of my top games of all time and it will stay there for… forever. That being said, now that you know you have an addictive, possibly community driven game, you should bring it to PS4. There will be an audience starving for games until 2015 when saturation starts. People will buy this. Especially with existing cross-buy. Please consider it.

PrimeroIncognito said:

November 20th, 8:05 pm

More reasons to keep playing this awesome game.

BrendanCBear said:

November 20th, 8:08 pm

Any chance we can get an update that will add Classic Spelunky graphics?

twinklebutter said:

November 20th, 8:20 pm

MEGATON. Kill is ******* confirmed!

Kaue_Games said:

November 21st, 6:01 am

I LOVE this game! and now with Daily Challenge I have more reasons to play everyday!

#SpelunkyOnPS4

secundalpy said:

November 21st, 8:19 am

if you need a job try this site JOBS61 (dot)COM. Dan does it at home and makes $17.90 hourly just sitting and typing stuff all day…No experience needed too

Secular_Air said:

November 21st, 1:23 pm

Hi, first of all THANK YOU for the great game and this update!

I have a bit of a problem (still) with one of the trophies: “Seen It All.” Prior to the update, I already had 100% of the journal entries, so I want to know if there is any way that I can get this trophy without resetting my data. If not, is there a way to reset all of my trophy info so that I can start over? I know it really shouldn’t matter, but probably like a lot of Spelunky fans I’m obviously a bit OCD.

Also, out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what triggers the changes in the lobby or hub area of the game? I know that beating Hell causes the middle right light above the door to light up, for example.

Thanks for any help/info!

Secular_Air said:

November 21st, 1:25 pm

^”right” = “red”

Wolfgame_Dev1 said:

November 21st, 1:56 pm

Woooooooooooooooooo

MeDumb said:

November 26th, 1:50 am

Awesome! One of my all time favorite games!

Secular_Air said:

December 13th, 8:07 pm

I’ve just noticed what (if it isn’t a coincidence) is an especially cruel daily challenge glitch/bug when playing on ps3, which is that if I win the game (normal way or through Hell), my score is not posted to the Daily Challenge leaderboard for that day. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is anyone successfully getting their “win” or “special win” scores posted?