PlayStation VR

Jan 16

Jan 16

HBO GO for PS3 Coming Soon, PS4 to Follow

Phil Rosenberg's Avatar Posted by Senior Vice President, Business Development, SCEA

Earlier this evening at the inaugural Buzzfeed Brews event in New York City, HBO CEO Richard Plepler announced that HBO and PlayStation have partnered to offer the popular HBO GO app − first on PlayStation 3, with PlayStation 4 to follow.

HBO GO app on PS3

With the HBO GO app on your PlayStation system and an HBO subscription via your cable or satellite provider, you’ll have unlimited, on-demand access to your favorite HBO shows, like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and True Detective. HBO GO offers every episode of every season of the network’s best shows. You can also enjoy hit movies, sports, documentaries, and comedy specials, as well as special behind-the-scenes extras.

As a huge Game of Thrones fan, I can’t wait to watch the show using my PS3. Speaking of which, click here to watch the season 4 trailer that premiered earlier this week, in case you missed it.

Keep checking back here for more updates on when the HBO GO app will be available to download on PS3 and PS4.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

rocknrolltide said:

January 17th, 8:56 am

Honestly don’t care about this. You can view HBOGo online with a subscription so why is this a big deal? I don’t want to pay for HBO and there’s really not any programming on the network that’s worth my money anyway. When you start talking about getting worthy apps (that are free) on PS3 & Vita (ESPN, FOXnow, etc.) then you’ll have my attention.

ElektroDragon said:

January 17th, 9:27 am

You have to pay for the HBO cable channel before you can access this. Completely lame you can’t just pay to get the HBO GO app only. I completely cut cable TV MONTHS ago and could not be happier.

The only way I’m going back to cable is if I can select exactly what channels I want and pay only for those individually. $1 per month, per channel sounds about right.

Matrix_Lion said:

January 17th, 9:30 am

It’s about time HBO GO came to PlayStation. Now if I can just get the real UFC app not this live event stuff Sony. I want the actual UFC app.

BulletTooth228 said:

January 17th, 9:33 am

Sony, virtual surround headsets support is a MUST in this day and age, this is not a nice add-on, it’s a necessity in this day and age, I can’t have my surround loud enough to hear what’s going on in multiplayer without waking people in my house.

Please, keep your priorities straight. True headset support should have been in this gaming console from day 1. Please add it soon.

battousai311 said:

January 17th, 10:22 am

People complaining about having to have an HBO subscription… That’s what friends are for!

Mando44646 said:

January 17th, 10:38 am

Great!

But for those of us who do not pay ridiculous cable prices, we have no way to get an HBO subscription. Thats some really bad marketing there

Manually said:

January 17th, 10:54 am

Would be cool to see a twitch app so you can watch streamers on your console

koggster said:

January 17th, 10:54 am

Sounds nice. However, can we get some games already! Love Sony but how do you release a next-gen system and not have games ready to pump out for it. We are at the 2 month mark and I havent even heard of anything coming out in February.

Anpanman921 said:

January 17th, 11:06 am

That’s all well and good but how about bringing something to the vita that you guys promised at E3 back in 2012? You know…HULU?! I mean come on, the 3ds and 2ds got it before the vita!

hush404 said:

January 17th, 11:22 am

Can I save myself the trouble and just assume it’s not coming to Canadian residents?

NO_FEAR said:

January 17th, 11:37 am

No cable? sorry, NO GO! Go home HBO you’re drunk!

NO_FEAR said:

January 17th, 11:47 am

Dear HBO when you recover from your hangover and your done chewing your arm off from sleeping with xfinity put Game of Thrones back up on amazon and I’ll pay what it’s worth. You know like what I payed last season, not the inflated subscription price that was added on after you removed it. Thanks

tusunami said:

January 17th, 12:30 pm

This is great to hear but a bill every month versus Amazon Prime. Paying once a year i’ll take that for sure.

alphagoku1 said:

January 17th, 12:55 pm

AWESOME! now, any info on support for mp3/4 dnla, etc. etc. ? a LOT of people have been looking for this kind of information and something relatively specific would be…… hmmmm, what’s the word I’m looking for? awesome? stupendous? marvelous? mind blowing? ……. appreciated? yeah, I think all would suffice. soooooooo….. yeah…. that info……

cfailla said:

January 17th, 1:04 pm

I’ve looked at every option, and there is absolutely positively NO WAY to watch current HBO shows without a cable subscription. Same for Showtime. And that’s the only reason why I still have one, because they have the best shows. Still, I’m psyched that HBO Go is finally coming to PS3 because I’ve been wanting to rewatch The Wire and for some reason it’s not on HBO On Demand.

cfailla said:

January 17th, 1:05 pm

I should say no way to watch current shows unless you buy episodes or seasons…which just isn’t worth it in the long run.

mcksalg said:

January 17th, 1:23 pm

LOL when I first read this, I was like finally! But then I found out you need cable to access HBO Go. No thx I have been cable free for like 10 years, these days its stupid to play for cable when most shows are online via NF and Hulu. I understand that HBO is owned by Time Warner so they may never let HBO be available to everyone for only 10-15 bucks a month. But if they were to allow users of internet access from the cable company for like a extra 10 bucks, alot of ppl would cut cable and thats bad for biz on there end. They need to determine if the sub base is large enough to off set all the ppl that would cut the cord. NF will slowly beat them if they continue to pump out original content.

polo155 said:

January 17th, 1:47 pm

HBO Go to watch in your house where theres cableboxes already lol, my poor vita, anyone want to buy a vita 3G OLED model with 32gb card and 2 on card games, Phillip Santana Music

CommandingTiger said:

January 17th, 2:46 pm

Finally. Xbox Live is irrelevant to me now.

carlpain said:

January 17th, 3:01 pm

I fail to see how this is a “Go” app. You need your PS3 and cable subscription. Yeah, better to keep it simple. The old fashion way.

FreQaZoiD said:

January 17th, 3:18 pm

Finally! Now just get Watch ESPN / ESPN3 and we’re all set!

SCoopat said:

January 17th, 4:21 pm

This is great news!! Been asking for HBO Go app for years! Thank you!

Phil Rosenberg's Avatar

Phil Rosenberg said:

January 17th, 5:04 pm

Ah SCoopat, thanks for sticking with us. I hope we can continue to surprise you… I think we will!

LUCIFERSGLEAM said:

January 17th, 5:00 pm

LOL @ cable cutters. Enjoy your ISP limiting your online usage now thanks to your streaming.

TheLastNinja- said:

January 17th, 5:43 pm

Neat. As the others have already stated, it would be even better without the need for a cable subscription.

Hope to see the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim Video app next!

combolicious24 said:

January 17th, 6:01 pm

I dont want hbo go app, i want maxim app and pizza hut app and 1 purchase of the azure cloud

ozocky100 said:

January 17th, 6:03 pm

Sony dont care enough about the ps vita to even bother having this on it. They even blaming mobile phones for the vita poor sale, when in truth its lack of advertisement and good exlusives. It just like the psp, same old khaki pants. Oh, and even before talking about hbo go on the vita, where’s crackle or hulu plus? I love my vita, but sony need to get their act straight. Im hoping this is their last handheld, they clearly dont understand how to operate a handheld, they should stick to what they know best home console.

DJ-FenFen said:

January 17th, 6:13 pm

When will we get the Youtube app on the PS4?

hernzy said:

January 17th, 6:48 pm

IU would have been down if the cable subscription wasnt required. Only do the basic-ess of the basic cable. News, World Series, and NFL thats is

stevedfld said:

January 17th, 8:48 pm

Amazing that’s the main app their missing. I was hoping Sony would get it together with hbo…

sillypoo81 said:

January 17th, 9:41 pm

Comcast has a package until at least 1/31/14 that is internet and hbo/hbogo w/local channels. Was 49.99 a month for limited time (now it’s saying 69.99, which is full price). Comes with some Netflix type thing too. Not too bad an offer. Although 49.99 is much more reasonable imo.

Braggolach said:

January 18th, 9:56 am

while i am immensely pleased to see this, im curious as to what took so long in order to get it up and running. better late than never, though, so kudos.

MrBanballow said:

January 18th, 11:49 am

Any chance we’ll get hulu on Vita in the future? Noticed that it’s available in JP, but not here.

kenkraly2010 said:

January 18th, 2:29 pm

Any release date for HBO Go on PS3 and PS4? Thanks.

NCWildcat said:

January 18th, 2:48 pm

How about WatchESPN? PLEASE make that happen!

xTHE_WATCHERx said:

January 19th, 8:57 pm

I really do hope Comcast/Xfinity offers access!!!

randhager said:

January 20th, 7:48 am

This doesn’t seem useful on a console. If you have cable going into your home, which it looks like you will need since you have to subscribe in order to use HBO GO, then you probably already have it going to your TV. Would it really be easier to use the PlayStation? With that said, I recently read that HBO says it’s OK to share HBO GO subscriptions! (article here http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/19/5324736/hbo-ceo-doesnt-mind-hbo-go-account-sharing)

valkyrieknight1 said:

January 20th, 11:01 am

“But they won’t: “We could do it if we thought it was in our economic best interest, [but the potential market to be earned by doing so is] not sufficiently big enough now.” – direct quote from Jeff Bawkes. HBO GO wont be standalone anytime soon with this reason. Amen for Verizon fios

valkyrieknight1 said:

January 20th, 11:03 am

Time warner cables stands lose more than they would gain. Its good business now

valkyrieknight1 said:

January 20th, 11:03 am

cable*

valkyrieknight1 said:

January 20th, 11:04 am

edit:Time warner cables stands more to lose than they would gain. Its good business now

Big_Evil_Donut said:

January 20th, 2:00 pm

well, once again as usual us Canucks get shafted! ty very much Sony and HBO! here’s hopin they eventually pull their heads outta their butts and bring us this content as well, but doubtful considering all we have is Netflix and Crackle!

Shadow_Enz said:

January 20th, 4:22 pm

Here’s another vote for a Vita app as well.

skwerel said:

January 23rd, 8:14 pm

I for one would be willing to pay some sort of subscription fee to access HBO without a cable subscription. As it is, I don’t subscribe to cable or satellite, so this announcement is lost on me. TO HBO: On-demand content is the new standard. Welcome to the 21st century!

kmiller15211 said:

January 24th, 6:47 am

Any idea about the quality of the video? The HBO Go app for AppleTV claims 1080p, but has HORRIBLE quality, almost worse than a DVD, with tons of banding artifacts. I’m hoping for better on my PS3, but I’m not holding my breath.

Mickey_Vee401 said:

February 5th, 5:24 am

any word on a date

antonrebbe said:

February 8th, 2:00 pm

Yeah and…….when?

antonrebbe said:

February 8th, 2:01 pm

Dont tell us something is coming out until you ve got a date!

thos19 said:

February 12th, 7:36 am

Maybe MAX GO as well, later on down the line?

Love Banshee and Strike Back…

BIG_WORM1 said:

February 13th, 4:23 pm

WTH is taking so long with this? It was announced a month ago. Hurry up Sony!!!

PAGE 1 2