PlayStation VR

Feb 04

Feb 04

Dustforce Launches Today on PS3, PS Vita

Rey Jimenez's Avatar Posted by Producer, Capcom

Dustforce, 06

In any other context outside of games, “S” rank being the pinnacle of grades wouldn’t make sense. But since we’re talking games here, we all know that the “S” rank is where it’s at.

I have a theory that it originated in Japanese games (where many of the great gaming traditions started) and their disregard for A being the first letter of the alphabet. Whether or not that’s true, the tradition of Capcom platforming lives on in Dustforce, which launches today on PS3 and PS Vita. Originally made by Hitbox Team and released for PC, Dustforce caught our eye because it shares a few elements of the best platformers we’ve made: challenge, design, and soundtrack.

Dustforce seems very simple at first glance, and it really is. The idea is to move your acrobatic janitor through the level as fast as you can, while cleaning all the dirt, dust, and grime. You’re given a few abilities to do this: double jumps, wall runs, dashes, etc. There are also some tricks that you need to learn, like down dashing onto a slope for max speed, or learning to dash as soon as you land to maintain dash speed. Using these tools, it’s up to you to find the optimum path that leads to all of the dust to clean, and also one that keeps your momentum and speed up.

Dustforce, 07Dustforce, 10

For many platformers, the point of the game is to simply finish, or get to the end of the level. Sure, there’s coins or other currency to rate you, but that’s not always what drives the player. In Dustforce, getting that SS rank IS the point of the game, and a level just isn’t complete until it’s achieved. That means you kept up your combo by continually cleaning up dirt and you also got all of it.

If you’re like me, it’s the same thing I get when I’m playing Gran Turismo license tests. I have to get gold. Just passing isn’t good enough. If you know what Tony Hawk syndrome is, Dustforce is infected with it. So much so, that Dustforce has a Quick Restart option allowing you to restart a level in one button touch, which comes in handy when you’re gunning for an SS. Like any platformer worth its salt, it’ll take more than one try to finish any given level, and many more after to master it.

Dustforce, 08

When Dustforce was released on PC, it became a beloved indie darling. A focused, tightly designed game, made by a very small team of gamers like you and me. In our transition to console, we wanted to make sure that we retained all of the hard work and creativity that Hitbox Team put into their game. That means there’s no additional balancing or “remastering.” Sure, we added a few features like online multiplayer, cross save, and cross play, but other than that, we’re making sure that the game is true to the original vision.

Dustforce is a simple and pure game whose game design lends itself to constant improvement with its addictive gameplay. We hope you enjoy it!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

StalkerD said:

February 4th, 9:03 am

I only found out about this game thanks to the Vita Play sale, and now I am glad that I did. The videos are amazing! Really looking forward to downloading it later today.

Silent_Gig said:

February 4th, 9:11 am

Im really interested in playing this, this looks unique and i like the postive cleaning connotations too. Cant wait to try it!

Also on a side note will Capcom be releasing Dragons Dogma Quest for vita in the west? I also want to get my hands on that.

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

Rey Jimenez said:

February 4th, 9:30 am

Haven’t heard anything about Dragon’s Dogma Quest coming out in the US.

SirRamonTercero said:

February 4th, 9:15 am

Can’t wait to platinum this baby

StalkerD said:

February 4th, 9:16 am

I’d really like to see capcom releasing PSX classic Strider 2 in US, and making a portable version of the new Strider. It is the kind of game that is perfect to play on the go.

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

Rey Jimenez said:

February 4th, 9:31 am

I agree….Strider on the Vita seems perfect. Much like Dustforce!

SlixShot said:

February 4th, 9:19 am

So how many and what type of trophies are we lookin’ at?

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

Rey Jimenez said:

February 4th, 9:33 am

1 Gold, 3 Silver, 9 bronze

PainOfSarrow said:

February 4th, 9:21 am

i will def be buying this game once the store updates. Question, i saw that a level editor was released for pc. will that come to ps3 aswell at some point ? regardles i will be getting this and hope its a good length game.

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

Rey Jimenez said:

February 4th, 9:35 am

Unfortunately no. We looked into it and it would’ve been fantastic to have, but it wasn’t something we could do for this title on console. However, we will be releasing a large chunk of the best maps created on the PC version for free on the Vita and PSN versions. We’ll announce more details on it soon.

Gorvi said:

February 4th, 9:22 am

I can’t wait for this, I’ve been looking forward to it since it was announced for the Vita. Definitely a buy tonight. :)

onslaughtree said:

February 4th, 9:32 am

Who ever put together the Game play Video for this trailer needs a bonus. ASAP.
The vid was perfect. Got me interested instantly.
Controls, gameplay and art, all look great.

Day 1 Purchase………………As always, Keep on Gaming.

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

Rey Jimenez said:

February 4th, 9:37 am

I’ll drop the marketing guy that made the trailer a line and let him know it did it’s job. I’m sure he’ll appreciate it.

PainOfSarrow said:

February 4th, 9:41 am

Rey Jimenez that sounds very good to me. looking forward to those extra user created maps. thank you

AriesWarlock said:

February 4th, 9:44 am

So this is how you’re supposed to play the game

youtuDOTbe/d6i0L19yghY

richboy1231 said:

February 4th, 9:46 am

I have this game on PC and it’s a lot of fun! Will this game also be cross buy?

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

Rey Jimenez said:

February 4th, 10:17 am

Cross buy is not supported, but cross play and cross save is!

JakeNoseIt said:

February 4th, 9:46 am

I have been so hyped for this game since I heard it was coming to PSN. Then I did some research on it and saw there’s online multiplayer now and my hype exploded. Know you’re making one kid’s day today! Look for me on the leader boards! (well…I’ll try haha)
Thanks for the sick game!

BillyBoiDaPrince said:

February 4th, 9:54 am

looks fun! is the game cross-buy or cross play and is the ps3 version also on sale for ps plus members too like the vita version?

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

Rey Jimenez said:

February 4th, 10:18 am

Dustforce supports cross play, not cross buy. The sale I believe is for the Vita version only. Not the PSN.

CatatonicAlex said:

February 4th, 10:00 am

My PS Vita is broken is I can’t play/buy it. :(

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

Rey Jimenez said:

February 4th, 10:19 am

It’s out for PS3 as well.

Chance_Splinter said:

February 4th, 10:12 am

I dreamed of Dustforce coming to Vita ever since I saw a trailer for its steam release in like… 2012 or somethin’. Ultra, ultra-hyped to finally play it today!

NinjaZeroEight said:

February 4th, 10:14 am

Can’t ever get enough side scrolling action. Looking forward to S ranking everything!

punkmusic2009 said:

February 4th, 10:21 am

final fantsy realm beta is on the feb 22 2014

RoII_chan said:

February 4th, 10:22 am

This game looks very interesting!

punkmusic2009 said:

February 4th, 10:24 am

Dragon’s Dogma Quest is ownly on xbox one not sony as of right now

tgpumpkin said:

February 4th, 10:30 am

Looks interesting. Kinda bummed the sale doesn’t apply to both PSN and Vita. I prefer the concept you buy one game for a certain amount of devices rather than buying it for a specific device.

Kudos to Capcom for supporting an indie developer in making this a console release. Tons of creative games out there in PC land that could find a solid home on a console.

Now if only we can get a new Breath of Fire installment :) .

SirRamonTercero said:

February 4th, 10:38 am

No platinum? I thought it would be perfect for a game as hard as this one, but nonetheless i will have tons of fun

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

Rey Jimenez said:

February 4th, 10:45 am

For the type/size of game the Dustforce is, we’re only allowed a small number of total trophy points. I’m not positive if a platinum trophy is even within the threshold, but if it is, we probably would barely have enough room for any other trophies if we had it.

TheBigSpoon said:

February 4th, 11:12 am

I’ll be playing this on my vita tonight! I also can’t express the amount that I love the music from this game. Great stuff!

italodancemp3 said:

February 4th, 11:18 am

Yeah Can’t wait to grab it,but you “Rey Jimenez” you should give me a promise your next VITA project in Capcom would be “Resident Evil” :D

califoreigner said:

February 4th, 11:19 am

I’ve had this game on my computer for a couple months, but put off playing it once I heard there’d be a vita version. I might even double (triple?) dip on this. love supporting these smaller teams. man, the workday can’t end soon enough!

Macello said:

February 4th, 11:57 am

If you’re not going to make a game cross-buy, that is fine, but then don’t make it cross-trophy. That is not cool. That being said, I can’t wait to buy this on my Vita today.

ManjoumeThunder said:

February 4th, 12:00 pm

Can’t wait to try this out.

DJPlace said:

February 4th, 12:01 pm

no cross-buy… dang it… well i’m a sucker for buying both versions so yeah.. at least this one has online mutilplayer and cross save and i saw cross play!! nice… but when i looked at the PSN i did not see the plus discount for vita for some reason and i’m a plus member… going have to wait for the vita version till i see that.

AguilarX said:

February 4th, 12:07 pm

currently playing on my Vita, i never thought this game would ever make the jump to consoles!

SirRamonTercero said:

February 4th, 12:09 pm

Game seems to have some framerate problems and sound problems (outrageous)
Hopefully it will be fixed in a future patch

StalkerD said:

February 4th, 12:16 pm

How are people already playing the game?

CrispyCanuk said:

February 4th, 12:29 pm

No Cross-buy dammit…

CrispyCanuk said:

February 4th, 12:31 pm

@30 The vita store is already updated, its just the PS4 and ps3 that are still down.

StalkerD said:

February 4th, 12:48 pm

@32

Ah good to know. I always check through the browser store.

Figboy said:

February 4th, 12:54 pm

I own this game on Steam, but I will be double dipping so I can get some Dustforce on my Vita! Can’t wait!

Tayls129 said:

February 4th, 12:56 pm

I’m super stoked about this game. My Vita is getting a workout lately!

Figboy said:

February 4th, 12:59 pm

Didn’t realize the Vita store was updated already. Just bought, but stuck at work, so will have to play on the bus ride home!

punkmusic2009 said:

February 4th, 1:20 pm

my killzone shadow fall online mutti player is not working

RR99i said:

February 4th, 1:40 pm

Very excited for Dustforce on the PlayStation platforms! I’ve been waiting since it first released on PC to see if it would come like other games (Hotline Miami, Thomas Was Alone, etc.). I prefer console gaming more so than PC gaming. I’ve see so much gameplay throughout the years, mostly from livestreamings, that I knew I needed to check this out. Also, the music is just fantastic, love that the tunes are stamp in my mind. Thanks Capcom for pushing to bring Ductforce to PS3 and Vita! :) I’ll be purchasing (thanks for having a PS Plus discount) once the PlayStation Store is updated! :D

The_1_of_Deth said:

February 4th, 1:48 pm

just got it started downloading :) got all the psvita play sale stuff day 1 so far, new dbz gets maddening and this game looks like it can be fun!!!

Faythi said:

February 4th, 2:00 pm

Looks great, can’t wait to get my hands on it

SDkngsht said:

February 4th, 2:03 pm

any chance this is coming to the PS4 or is Playstation Now going to solve not being able to play PS3 digital games on the PS4? thanks in advance for any info.

Rey Jimenez's Avatar

Rey Jimenez said:

February 4th, 2:17 pm

I can say that there’s no PS4 specific SKU in development. I don’t really know anything about PS3 digital on the PS4 though. That’s more of a Sony task.

Pie4prez said:

February 4th, 3:46 pm

As soon as I found out that this wasn’t Cross-Buy, I decided not to purchase it. With the lag that the PS Vita version is apparently experiencing, I’ll wait for a patch. I really, REALLY wanted to play the Vita version, but can’t bring myself to do it if there’s no fallback in case the game is unplayable. After the Play sale ends, I’ll probably have lost interest anyway.

PrimeroIncognito said:

February 4th, 4:22 pm

Capcom always did make the best platformers back in the good ol’ days (along with Konami and Nintendo), so I trust their eye for finding gems with a similar gleam, and Dustforce appears to have it, but I’m kinda torn on which version to buy.

I want to buy the Vita version to get $2 off and also qualify for the $3 Play voucher, but I’d rather play it on PS3… hmm… what should I do…

califoreigner said:

February 4th, 4:28 pm

I was sitting in a jack in the box lobby trying to download this on my lunch break.. only got half way. le sigh :(

tusunami said:

February 4th, 6:12 pm

Those are the unique experiences that the PS Vita needs, I will be get this for my PS Vita. I want to continue to see more original experience like this on the platform!!!!!!!!!!

Void_Incarnate said:

February 4th, 7:25 pm

Just grabbed it myself, haven’t had the chance to play yet. Anyone know when/how we get the Play cashback? Is it calculated at the end of the Vita Play promotion period?

manchesterblack1 said:

February 4th, 7:59 pm

no cross buy? i dunno how i feel about buying something for only a console i don’t own. particularly something i already have the pc version of. granted i could just get the ps3 version and be done with it but i could also get no version and likely be fine as well… i guess i’ll wait on dustforce and get it next month when AT&T isn’t giving as rough of a shaft. Congrats to HITBOX team however and the rise of Smash inspired games

Cha0s00789 said:

February 5th, 11:40 am

Can you please look in to the vita version? I played the Vita demo looking into buying it. I already have the PC version and since my PC is fairly old , it has slowdowns on PC but playing on the vita felt as if there was evident input lag and delays of some sort. I am not sure if its the FPS or just input lag because it actually runs smoother than my PC but just doesn’t feel as responsive.

Also there is music cutouts when transitioning to selecting a character or completing a level.

I was sincerely looking forward to its release and buying it day 1 for vita but now I am not so sure. Can I get a response please?

kattio12 said:

February 5th, 12:37 pm

as Carl replied I cannot believe that a stay at home mom able to earn $9596 in a few weeks on the computer . navigate to this site

>>>>>> BAY91.­­ℭ­­Oℳ

maicol2809 said:

February 5th, 4:15 pm

I agree with Cha0s00789.

The soundtrack for this game is beautiful so it’s a crime that the music cuts randomly on both ps3 and vita.

Also, there is an issue with the controls (it’s not me, check pocketgamer review) where random inputs are not registered, mostly the “up” arrows.

I was so thrilled to know that I would be able to carry Dustforce with me at all times but if these issues persist I don’t think I will…

Regarding PS3 version: I have a pretty good PC that runs Battlefield 4 at max and I usually play Dustforce on it with my ps3 controller and love how responsive it is. However on the PS3 the game has some framerate issues that are most evident when the character “glows” i.e. when the “area attack” move is available (hit both attack buttons simultaneously).

It would be awesome if the developers could fix this, maybe throw in a nice 60 fps framerate? *wishful thinking*

PAGE 1 2