Spider-Man PS4

Feb 11

Feb 11

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Out Today

Mat Kishimoto's Avatar Posted by Associate Product Manager, Square Enix

Four years ago, we were introduced to an unlikely heroine by the name of Claire, and a band of six unsuspecting allies. Today, you all have the chance to find out how her story ends in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is available to pick up now, and we hope you all enjoy playing through this title to witness the journey, evolution, and now conclusion of the Final Fantasy XIII cast.

If you need a quick refresher course, we’ve put together a retro-spective video of Lightning’s journey here to summarize the stories and highlights from Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2.

On top of that, if you didn’t already know, the world in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is all new, the battle system has been completely overhauled, customization is available at an all new depth, monsters and boss battles reimagined, and the 13 day gameplay mechanic is unlike anything ever done before in any Final Fantasy title.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIIILightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Click here to see the full gallery

On a personal note as a lifelong fan of the Final Fantasy series, it’s a bit bittersweet to see Lightning’s journey come to a close, but at the same time exciting to see what’s next. I’m curious to hear what your fondest memories of the Final Fantasy XIII franchise have been, so feel free to leave a comment in the field below!

For me, I remember that cinematic Purge Train scene in the original Final Fantasy XIII like it was yesterday. I also remember lots of running away from Adamantoise on Gran Pulse, as well as the sheer joy when I got a chocobo. In Final Fantasy XIII-2, when Serah and Noel bumped into Lightning in New Bodhum I remember physically dropping my PS3 controller in utter fandom. However, I still have nightmares about having to jump from platform to platform towards the end.

Sigh… good times with this series, and I could go on and on. But like we’ve been saying since we announced this game back in August 2012, it all ends here.

Add Your Own

FFrpg15 said:

February 11th, 6:04 am

I preordered it and can’t wait to play this game when i get home. Keep on making games that we love Square!

TYruler50 said:

February 11th, 6:06 am

Whats coming on Plus for today?

VileCreation_ said:

February 11th, 6:11 am

PAYDAY2 drops today! Anybody picked up The Lego Movie Game? And who’s picking up Dark Souls II cause I know I am! :D

Maverick_fox1 said:

February 11th, 6:17 am

Loved the demo, I’ll be getting it for sure, just a question guys, how exactly was the second free dlc costume supposed to unlock? I finished the demo several times and uploaded the score to fb (yay 5 stars rank in 2:20) and never saw any confirmation message or code.

Mat Kishimoto's Avatar

Mat Kishimoto said:

February 11th, 9:50 am

Unfortunately, there is no confirmation message. But once you get into LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII, the full game, you’ll receive the Siegfried DLC! Hope you enjoy!

langdon said:

February 11th, 6:18 am

My copy is on its way from Amazon. I’m going to play it so hard for the next month. Gotta get that hat trick Platinum!

I feel like I’m the one of the few people in the world that still enjoy this series. =[

Mat Kishimoto's Avatar

Mat Kishimoto said:

February 11th, 9:50 am

Hope you enjoy the game!

CrimsonDev said:

February 11th, 6:21 am

Doing a Full Install as i write this. :D

TheOathsworn said:

February 11th, 6:33 am

Going to be starting this up tonight when I get the chance tonight. I enjoyed what was available in the demo so I can’t wait to get started on the full game.

FreshRevenge said:

February 11th, 6:52 am

@Langdon

You are not the only person that enjoyed the series:) I got the Collector’s Edition coming today by Fedex today. So I am very excited to get this game and see how it ends. I just checked the tracking and it is about hour away from where I live.

Thank you guys for making a great series:)

Mat Kishimoto's Avatar

Mat Kishimoto said:

February 11th, 9:53 am

Glad to hear you got the Collector’s Edition! We hope you enjoy all the awesomeness within.

ragnarok_weapon said:

February 11th, 6:52 am

Patiently waiting for my CE to come in :(

Souledge94 said:

February 11th, 7:00 am

Waiting on my CE. You guys seem to be getting mixed reviews.Though I enjoyed 13 and 13-2 so im not worried.

Binarynova said:

February 11th, 7:05 am

Too bad I’m stuck at work for the next 9 hours. :\

And while we have a Square-Enix rep it’s worth a shot:

Any chance we’ll see the PSP versions of Final Fantasy 1 & 2 come to the U.S. PSN Store?

Tim81DE said:

February 11th, 7:09 am

Have my CE coming in today. I hope this means you guys can start on FF12 HD!!!

FifthDream said:

February 11th, 7:13 am

I’m picking up my copy in just a few minutes, and i can’t wait. I took off work and have the whole day set aside to play. I even made myself a sandwich last night so i didn’t have to be bothered with silly things like making food today. XD

As for memories. one of the things that sticks out a lot to me is Sazh and his storyline. He’s such a great character, and his story was touching. I can’t wait to see more of him.

Binarynova said:

February 11th, 7:14 am

@5: Not just you! I’m going for the hat trick here too! :D

FreshRevenge said:

February 11th, 7:17 am

@Souledge94

Sure it feels good to know that a game you love and enjoy is loved by everyone. But not everyone is going to see it the same way you or I would.

Now there are some places that I wouldn’t trust with reviews and IGN is one of those places. They can give COD a high score and every game is the same thing over and over again. At least with FF13 series, they tried something new and not the repetitive recipe from other games from the series. Plus each game plays a bit different.

Actually one of the above posts reminds me of, is it possible to bring FF12 to the PSN. I thought that game was great on the PS2 and would love to see on the PS3 upgraded of course with that fine HD paint!

gus_xl said:

February 11th, 7:23 am

I forgot to pre-order for the Cloud Suit. Will I be able to buy it later?

fiend1476 said:

February 11th, 7:30 am

Just picked it up as soon as gamestop opened! Downloading my dlc outfits as I type, I may have a massive heart attack! I LOVE LIGHTNING!!!!! <3

azul86sapphire said:

February 11th, 7:32 am

Favorite FFXIII moment? I love when Hope finally confronts Snow about his mother’s death, and how despite that, Snow saves Hope’s life, leaping off the edge for him. I’m curious to see how Hope has evolved in LR.

For LR, I’m eager to see what abilities, if any, Lightning’s Etro Guardian uniform has. While I am generally not a fan of games/sequences that are timed, I’m eager to give this one a try for the sake of seeing Lightning through to the end.

Mat Kishimoto's Avatar

Mat Kishimoto said:

February 11th, 9:57 am

Awesome memory! I remember all that stuff too.

Hope is actually one of the more intriguing characters from my POV as he’s one of the only characters who’s evolved over the 3 games in so many different ways.

Lightning’s garb from FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 is an awesome uniform to use throughout the game.

Hope you enjoy!

FFrpg15 said:

February 11th, 7:45 am

@FreshRevenge
I loved XII on the ps2 as well and I would love to see an HD remake of it on the ps3

KazeEternal said:

February 11th, 7:54 am

I wish this was FFX HDR’s release date…..

I also wish for an FFXII, FF7DC, and FF7CC HD Remasters…..

Instead I get a 3rd entry where even Lightning returns FFXIII because it is just that bad of a story line that they had to make a game about her doing it.

KazeEternal said:

February 11th, 7:56 am

Also really happy this game has released today, because it means square can finally move on from this blemish on the FF series.

lisatsunami said:

February 11th, 8:07 am

Hi, Mat, I want to tell you that the Square store fixed their earlier problems and I was able to pre-order the CE after all. This will be my first Final Fantasy game so I don’t know what to expect.

Mat Kishimoto's Avatar

Mat Kishimoto said:

February 11th, 9:58 am

Great, thanks for the update :)

FreshRevenge said:

February 11th, 8:18 am

@KazeEternal

And Yes I remember you from the forums, You hijacked my BC thread a long time ago LOL.

It’s cool that you don’t care for FF13. But you don’t need to rain on other people’s parade. I am sure they will come out with most of those games in HD.

It just sound mean and insensitive to those who actually enjoyed the series. Whether you agree or not!

Because even if I didn’t like a game. I wouldn’t spend my time on a blog crying or complaining and insulting it!

rwlove said:

February 11th, 8:28 am

is there any reason why kingdom hearts birth by sleep isnt on ps store. i was really hoping to play it on my vita

D-Squad3 said:

February 11th, 8:29 am

Please do a Collector’s Edition for Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III! Thanks

LokeSTL said:

February 11th, 9:32 am

Sweet, I hope the fans of FFXIII will get their last fix. Seriously hoping FFXHD will crush this in sales to let SE know that we still want traditional turn-based combat on our console FFs. FFXV is already locked in with an action based combat system, so no hope there. Lets get FFXVI back on track with traditional turn-based combat please! And don’t you dare put it on a handheld….

tj8_84 said:

February 11th, 9:53 am

hey when are you guys going to shipping out more ps4 camera they are impossible to find and when is the US getting the Sony dualshock 4 charging station

syko13 said:

February 11th, 11:25 am

Gonna have to wait for my copy, I ordered it from Square and ordered My FFX/X-2 HD and did not separate shipping so it’s gonna all ship on March 18th, oh well lesson learned

carly1477 said:

February 11th, 1:06 pm

Just waiting for my collectors edition…. here in a few hours, and then let the game begin….

DarkOne_PR said:

February 11th, 1:23 pm

sorry but this game its a fail FF… thats what happens when u don’t listen to the fans… we asked for FF7 remake for ps3 (now ps4) and instead u gave us 3….. 3 games of the worst FF u have created… not to wish u bad but i really hope it fails so finally u can give us a FF games like in the old days…

never considered a xenogears remake too? well pls start considering it too. :) i love u Square…. but sometimes u just dont care.

Tinye310 said:

February 11th, 1:34 pm

Super excited and got the collectors edition. :D wooot woot

omega_alpha-619 said:

February 11th, 1:55 pm

@ DarkOne_PR: Oh look another person with a negative opinion on a game he has never even played, you never even played XIII-2 and you have about 10 min. worth of XIII trophies. Yet you seem to think your opinion of the entire XIII series is worth squat.

Fact is more people enjoyed the series and continue to enjoy the series than the very loud, vocal MINORITY that you’ve latched yourself onto. FACT is you are just like most of the XIII haters.. you haven’t even played it or barely have at all and you are just “jumping on the hate bandwagon” because it makes you feel like you are part of the group. But the fact is you are not, your just part of the ignorant, vocal MINORITY.

The MAJORITY loves the XIII series and isn’t fooled by the whining of an ignorant few…. you only make yourselves look bad for all the world to see. LMAO! =)

LokeSTL said:

February 11th, 3:31 pm

@omega_alpha-619

FFXIII sales – 6.9 million worldwide

FFXIII-2 sales – 2.86 million worldwide

So 4 million people didn’t purchase the sequel, while 2.9 million did. That says that the minority liked the changes in the series, while the majority did not. Might want to check your facts before you blast someone for their opinion. I suspect that this one will sell even less due to the fact that the main complaint was never addressed: the lack of traditional turn-based combat. Don’t get me wrong, I am a fanboy too. I pre-ordered and did all of the extra stuff for the bonus outfits. But I am still hoping that FF will return to it’s greatness, as are many of the longtime FF fans.

sockerps said:

February 11th, 5:50 pm

Really excited for the Japanese voice option!

Tim81DE said:

February 11th, 10:16 pm

@LokeSTL Is that that including all console sales? If so, it’s sad.

LokeSTL said:

February 11th, 10:26 pm

@Tim81DE

Yes. Those are global sales of all consoles. Hope SE doesn’t continue to ignore the majority of their fan base…