God of War

Feb 11

Feb 11

XBlaze Code: Embryo — Visual Novel Set in BlazBlue Universe Coming to PS3

Mike Engler's Avatar Posted by Editor, Aksys Games

Hello… again… and again… Aksys Games, purveyors of quality digital entertainment, is pleased to announce that we will be releasing Arc System Works’ latest tour de force, XBlaze Code: Embryo!

Taking place almost two centuries before the events of BlazBlue, XBlaze tells the story of Touya Kagari, a mostly unremarkable high school sophomore with a remarkable past, and his transformation from a typical teenager into the target of secret organizations, renegade mages, homicidal maniacs, and curry-obsessed co-workers. And though XBlaze touches on the origins of some of the more important elements of the BlazBlue mythos (The Azure, Black Beast, and Takamagahara spring immediately to mind), its story stands on its own as an epic tale of disparate groups all fighting for control of the power responsible for the creation of the universe.

XBlaze Code: Embryo

XBlaze Code: EmbryoXBlaze Code: Embryo

Screens taken from the Japanese version of the game

As for the game itself, XBlaze is a visual novel with a number of twists on the formula. One of the biggest differences is that, unlike most games in the genre that simple use static character images during conversation scenes, story scenes in XBlaze are more akin to an animated feature, complete with shifting camera angles, dramatic music cues, and all sorts of various trickery to make an already great story just that much more engrossing. Also, players can control the course of the story via the TOi System, the in-game information aggregation program used by the characters in the game. By choosing to read (or ignore) the various articles and blog postings recommended by TOi, different story paths will open and close. Not sure which articles to read? Just pay attention to what the other characters are reading…

There’s a lot more that I could write about right now (alternate endings, possible gag routes, etc.), but I figured it’d be better if I just let you, the reader, ask your own questions in the comments section below. I’ll be camping out for a few hours and will try to answer what questions I can. However, please keep your questions limited to things about XBlaze, maybe BlazBlue, and queries about localization in general. Asking about potential titles, sales numbers, and what not will be met with resounding silence and perhaps a vague, discomforting smile.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

carly1477 said:

February 11th, 12:59 pm

Getting this 100% for sure. Long live visual novels! 999/Zero Escape were amazing!

TheExiled12894 said:

February 11th, 1:06 pm

Don’t know why the Vita version las left out of the title (the pre-order is up on Amazon already lol) but great news anyway. You guys are awesome!

Mike Engler's Avatar

Mike Engler said:

February 11th, 1:26 pm

When I wrote the blog entry, I was trying to be platform agnostic as I wasn’t sure exactly what I was allowed to talk about. Unfortunately, I can’t modify the title as I am not cool enough…

But yes, it’s Vita and PS3, and physical and digital releases for both.

Tell a friend!

lisatsunami said:

February 11th, 1:15 pm

I’m up for something different, especially on Vita and I like to support devs that support Vita, which Aksys sure does.

viceforce said:

February 11th, 1:26 pm

Wow was NEVER expecting this to come over here. I played the Japanese demo of it and the story seem interested but I didn’t realize this was tied to Blazblue. or i guess i should have expected knowing the name.

CHA05xCOMAND3R said:

February 11th, 1:49 pm

Thank you so much for the localization! Is there any chance we’ll a demo before it comes out?

Mike Engler's Avatar

Mike Engler said:

February 11th, 2:27 pm

Whelp, since things are winding down, I guess I’ll bow out now. Sorry about not being able to answer some of your questions, but some of those things were above my pay grade. Keep an eye on the various Aksys social media sites for more information about XBlaze, BlazBlue, and the angst that comes with staring at Excel files for 8-10 hours a day.

Perhaps I will type to you all again.

tearsofash said:

February 11th, 2:30 pm

I mostly enjoyed Blazblue, P4A, and Guilty Gear story routes. However, they seemed a bit bogged down in comparison to a visual novel. Which, of course, is fine, because they were story modes and not visual novels no matter how similar they might have been. My question is how similar to a real visual novel this will be. You mention gag routes, alternate endings, and it’s leaving me a little worried that it will be as heavy-handed as Aksys’ previous endeavours. Will it be generally straightforward, or will I have to keep up with the progress of like 12 different characters? Honestly, I’m only asking because I always have a hard time juggling the info given to me in the usual BlazBlue story modes.

ZeoKhalid said:

February 11th, 2:49 pm

ps4 plzz zzzzzzzzzzz plzz plz

Armored_Oso66 said:

February 11th, 3:07 pm

Wow this is great, first the Vita version of Blazblue Chrono Phantasma was announced for a summer release, and now XBlaze has been announced, these announcements are just making more anxious and excited for March 25th, because i can finally go pick up my PS3 copy of Chrono Phantasma

Also is there any more possible announcements for other Visual Novel?

TheDemonDzKo said:

February 11th, 3:17 pm

Hey, Mike! Don’t feel bad abou the article. I like that you took the time to post about this, and it has me really excited as a BlazBlue junkie myself! If anything this makes me was to take the bigger jump to the story of the franchise.

It’s a shame that there wont be a English Dub however.

– The Demon Dzko

shadysaiyanz said:

February 11th, 3:49 pm

The BlazBlue Universe is already complicated enough.

genius527 said:

February 11th, 3:52 pm

What the what, now tell me this is a adventure game because it looks like a adventure game that came from Sony!!

PTX-40A said:

February 11th, 4:18 pm

Any possibility of the XBlaze PS3 Themes that japan got also making it over?

gold_og_roger said:

February 11th, 4:29 pm

I’ll be purchasing this title, so that more niche Japanese software hits our shores!

D-Squad3 said:

February 11th, 5:15 pm

PS4

SwingerE11 said:

February 11th, 6:57 pm

Woah, what’s this?
Story about blazblue?
Can’t wait for that. Would be good if it was on vita.

GummyCore said:

February 11th, 7:04 pm

Just want to mention that the Japanese version of this is available to Asia PS Plus members for free as part of Instant Game Collection. *hint hint*

Souledge94 said:

February 11th, 8:56 pm

ehh sorry man. No eng dub means no buy for me. Hell if the newer blazeblue didint have dubs I would cancle. I dont want to sit through those jpn voices.Thankfully it has really nothing to do with whats going on now so I can skip without worry.

SugarSpocks said:

February 11th, 9:58 pm

Thank you Aksys! Keep bringing those VNs over, please. I’ve never played a Blazblue game, so I’m glad this is self-contained for the most part.

death_godlet said:

February 12th, 1:04 am

It’s a good year to be a Blazblue fan with a PSVita.

emmanuel04965 said:

February 12th, 8:40 am

this is a game or series? there is also on ps3?

Welmosca said:

February 12th, 10:28 am

This looks cool….might give it a try.I do like Blazblue.

J3t-St0rm said:

February 14th, 2:22 pm

Very happy to hear this is being localized. I’ve been on a visual novel kick and one set in the Blazblue universe is right up my alley!

PrinceofXIII said: