Farpoint

Feb 18

Feb 18

Strider on PS4, PS3: Old-school Action, New-school Exploration

James Vance's Avatar Posted by Capcom Japan Producer

Hello fellow PlayStation fans! It’s a pleasure to be here. My name is James Vance, and I’m the Capcom Japan producer on Strider for PS4 and PS3. For those of you who are new to the Strider universe, please allow me to give you a quick rundown of just how awesome it is. For those of you who already know, take a moment to revel in your superior gaming knowledge, and stick around to learn what surprises the all-new Strider has in store.

Strider

Originally introduced in 1989, Strider was a seminal Capcom game starring Special-A class, indestructible cypher sword swinging, climb on virtually anything, all around coolest video game character ever, Strider Hiryu. Strider took the gaming world by storm with its ultra-fast and responsive controls, first of its kind dynamic traversal, crazy boss characters and amazingly detailed and unique graphics that were truly in a league of their own. The fast and frenetic arcade tradition continued some ten years later in Strider 2, but many of the younger Marvel vs. Capcom players may know Strider Hiryu best as one of the series’ most respected fighters.

Fast-forward to now! Strider Hiryu is back in his very own adventure, and is bringing the lightning-fast, ultra-responsive and relentless side-scrolling action of his arcade pedigree to a massive, non-linear game world. Core cypher combat, acrobatic climbing and traversal mechanics are a gateway to exploration, where an arsenal of hidden abilities, power-ups and items unlock deeper combat and traversal options, as well as paths to other areas of the game world. Whether freezing an enemy in place with the Ultra-Cold plasma cypher, then instantly blowing them to pieces with the Explosive Plasma Kunai, or bursting through an enemy and into an unexplored area with a mid-air Plasma Catapult burst, every split-second action and elegant combo is yours to command.

StriderStrider

An army of minions and a legion of twisted, insane and often immense boss characters stand between you and your mission to eliminate Grand Master Meio. Whether you accomplish your mission all depends on how far you push your combat skills, and how far they can carry you into the depths of the world to unlock its secrets.

In addition to the robust story mode, Strider arrives with a truck-load of unlockable concept art, character and location intel, costumes, character customization, a Platinum Trophy, additional Challenge Modes and worldwide score and speed-run leaderboards, which is more than enough reason to keep you coming back for more. PS4 owners can also look forward to a visual feast in native 1080P, and silky smooth gameplay at 60FPS. The intuitive game controls and vibrant visuals are also a perfect fit for PS Vita Remote Play.

Please downhill run, star jump or slide to your PS3 or PS4 to download the demo, or slice right into the full game for just $14.99 starting today!

Add Your Own

HitmanRebornEX said:

February 18th, 6:15 am

Wow awesome cant wait too buy this for my ps4 later today gonna be EPIC!!!

James Vance's Avatar

James Vance said:

February 18th, 6:03 pm

Thanks! I hope you have a great time playing it!

Z31K said:

February 18th, 6:21 am

Any chance on seeing this bad boy on the Vita??

James Vance's Avatar

James Vance said:

February 18th, 6:05 pm

Just on the PS3 and PS4, though Strider’s intuitive controls and 2D side-scrolling action work very nicely with PS4 and PS Vita Remote Play.

JimmyHACK said:

February 18th, 6:22 am

Cross-buy?

YungShep said:

February 18th, 6:23 am

my wallet is funded. just waiting for the store to update! thanks for adding remote play!!!

Todoh789 said:

February 18th, 6:32 am

Will Strider 1 and Strider 2 be released on PSN as well by chance? Japan is getting those games.

James Vance's Avatar

James Vance said:

February 18th, 6:06 pm

The PlayStation Classics Strider 1 & 2 are exclusive to Japan. However, we hear you loud and clear, and you never know what the future may hold ;)

tahoe376 said:

February 18th, 6:35 am

Nice, Strider and Rayman today!!

Sonicfan11589 said:

February 18th, 6:37 am

I never played Strider so hopefully i will like this game.

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

February 18th, 7:06 am

this game would be perfect for the PS VITA..not sure why it wasnt implemented for it..but i guess i can deal with playing it on my 55″ SONY BRAVIA TV..with my PS3..which will be connected to my PS4 CONTROLLER..lol – last dualshock 3 just broke..so i hope it works with the the DS4..(fingers crossed)

FifthDream said:

February 18th, 7:06 am

Oh, it snuck up on me! I didn’t expect it so soon. It’s a must-have for me. I loved Strider so much back on the Genesis. I played it a ton. Oddly. one of my best memories of it was the sound test. The sounds were really amusing to me. I can’t wait to play – and listen – to this one.

James Vance's Avatar

James Vance said:

February 18th, 6:10 pm

Yeah, the sound effects and and music of the original were awesome. The new soundtrack mixes retro favorites with all new tracks, and is the excellent work of old-school Strider fan and Hollywood composer, Michael John Mollo. You won’t be disappointed!

StalkerD said:

February 18th, 7:13 am

I also want to know if we can expect to see Strider 1 & 2 PSX classics released on the US PSN. This would be the best moment, I honestly believe that if you don’t release it now, I will most likely never be allowed to play it on my US PS Vita.

PaladinCulebra said:

February 18th, 7:18 am

This game came out of nowhere for me, I didn’t know about it until about a week ago. Looks really good though, I love both old Strider and Metroidvania style games. Wallet: Funded, ready for the store to update!

Alastor666 said:

February 18th, 7:50 am

I JUST WAT TO KNO WIF THIS WILL BE CROSS BUY IM STUCK ON HAVING TO DECIDE WHICH VERSION TO GET..

Ekisperto said:

February 18th, 7:52 am

Hey guys, I’m Strider’s diehard fan since I had my MegaDrive/Genesis and I would like to make a question: If I buy both versions, will I get trophies for each one? Or they share the same trophyset just like what happens to Dragon’s Crown for example, meaning it does not matter if you play it on PS3 or Vita, you will get just just one trophy instead of 2? If the trophyset is single for each one, I’ll not hesitate to buy both versions and try to get platinum trophies on them, if it’s shared I may pick it up to play on my PS4.

StalkerD said:

February 18th, 7:58 am

It’s not cross buy. They already confirmed this before. And I see no reason why anyone would buy the PS3 version if they have a PS4. PS4 owners should buy for the PS4. PS3 owners should buy for the PS3.

unpetitpeudemona said:

February 18th, 8:29 am

@Ekisperto you’d need to get trophies on both and purchase both versions to get all the trophies… as StalkerD mentionned, I see no reason to get both unless you REALLY like trophies…

Ryusennin said:

February 18th, 8:36 am

I’ll be frank: it looks awful compared to the classic original.

Ryumoau said:

February 18th, 9:07 am

Although i personally have no interest in this game, i like that this is being offered on both ps3 and ps4 at the same time. I really hope this will be a continuing trend for more games and will be supported by cross buy as well.

BlacNoiz said:

February 18th, 9:33 am

Been waiting for this one.

INFIDEL_JIHAD said:

February 18th, 10:37 am

I passed on a sale for a game to make sure I had enough in my psn wallet to get this bad boy … I had to for nostalgia alone … TY CAPCOM !

James Vance's Avatar

James Vance said:

February 18th, 6:13 pm

Thank YOU very much for your enthusiasm and support! That means a lot to the teams at Capcom Japan and Double Helix. There are plenty of nostalgic hits, sometimes obvious, sometimes hidden for you to enjoy.

AOISHI_YAGAMI said:

February 18th, 10:37 am

I love this game!! Arigato! :D

James Vance's Avatar

James Vance said:

February 18th, 6:14 pm

Thank you! こちらこそ、ありがとう!

pablofsi08 said:

February 18th, 10:57 am

I hate speed-runs, speed is just a form of stress and just unawareness and lack of proper thoughts. Just drop the “as fast as possible” concept in your lives and stop applying it to games. It hurts their design and all forms of entertainment’s design.

James Vance's Avatar

James Vance said:

February 18th, 6:17 pm

The action of Strider is very speedy and dynamic, but there’s no pressure to rush through. The speed-run leaderboards keep tally in the background for those players who are interested in going for a world record.

AguilarX said:

February 18th, 11:10 am

reminds me of when Capcom decided to outsource the bionic commando remake. its looks like its working for them to outsource their franchises to other developers. cant wait to play this, havent played strider since the PSX port

AguilarX said:

February 18th, 11:12 am

it*

Stoner_illmatic said:

February 18th, 11:13 am

I’m waiting for you guys to put it on psn why hasn’t that been done yet

j-professional said:

February 18th, 11:31 am

Why does my PS4 need to download the new update again?

kelpy1440 said:

February 18th, 11:37 am

Tic – Toc -tic- toc …relase?

odd69 said:

February 18th, 11:46 am

Im buying the ps4 version , why would i buy the ps3 version anyway? At this point my ps3 is still played more than my current console. The ps4 needs this more in my opinion

MapleStory said:

February 18th, 11:57 am

First to download and rate the game. ;D

irija said:

February 18th, 12:13 pm

I really wish it was cross buy as I travel w/ my PS3 and leave the PS4 at home. So I guess I’ll be buying it on PS3 since I’m with that more often these days. =(

tusunami said:

February 18th, 12:32 pm

Awe yeah for those still waiting on buying a Ps4. Because they say there are no games on it very smart geniuses lol.

juggalorider said:

February 18th, 12:43 pm

the game looks alright I’m gonna have to watch a vid on youtube but i do like the sonic stile if that is like the old sonic games

juggalorider said:

February 18th, 12:44 pm

i forgot but i won’t be downloading since i have been waiting for the final fantasy 14 beta all year an thats the only game i will be playing unless gta online comes to ps4

juggalorider said:

February 18th, 12:47 pm

@21 speak for yourself because if everyone thought like you then sonic would have never made it past the first game but people like me love the fast paced, so please stop speaking for everyone when people think different then you

Timekeeper007 said:

February 18th, 12:56 pm

lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/57401

Timekeeper007 said:

February 18th, 12:57 pm

Really looking froward to this game! As huge Strider fan, I am excited to see this new game getting great reviews.

Help make this Lego Strider set a reality:

lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/57401

TheRealBushkill said:

February 18th, 5:26 pm

After playing the demo i can’t help but wish it was a slightly darker game..
it is just so cartoony for a ninja game.

madouda said:

February 18th, 5:27 pm

I’m overwhelmed not only because i usually enjoy Capcom’s work! ” hum hum bought the Capcom 30th.Anniversary encyclopedia book” but also i use to play with my brothers the original game back in the days on Nintendo which was a fun great game! So, i can’t hardly wait for the game to be release.
Now does anyone knows if there is a big difference between the PS3 & PS4 versions ?

James Vance's Avatar

James Vance said:

February 18th, 6:22 pm

Thank you for your support! I have great memories of playing Strider as a kid too, that’s just one reason why it’s so exciting to bring him back in a big way. The PS3 and PS4 games have the exact same content, but PS4 users can enjoy a native 1080P resolution, a silky smooth 60FPS frame rate, and PS Vita Remote Play.

dkarlowicz10 said:

February 19th, 12:29 pm

I love Capcom games. I have a PS3 and at some point will own a PS4. Why is Capcom ignoring the PS Vita? This game along with Mega Man 9 & 10, Ducktales, DMC Trilogy, Resident Evil and several others would really stand out on the Vita. Imagine playing these games on the Vita. Please Capcom, come back to the Vita.

CommandingTiger said:

February 19th, 4:36 pm

I have to play this game.

korona75 said:

February 20th, 12:44 pm

In addition to Strider, I’d like to see new versions of Mega Man, Ghosts ‘n Goblins, Ghouls ‘n Goblins, Section Z, 1942, 1943 and Bionic Commando for PS4!!!!

proqxis said:

February 21st, 4:08 pm

This game is so good. Like Strider and Metroid combined. My favorite kind of contemporary platformer… Thx, Capcom :D

proqxis said:

February 21st, 10:02 pm

It’s also rather difficult on ‘easy’ setting…

Lobsterbisk said:

February 22nd, 10:02 am

Do I need to collect all of the Intel and Concept are in order to receive Platinum? The hidden Kanjis in the Vertical Assembly Line near lasers are impossible?