PlayStation VR

Mar 11

Mar 11

TowerFall Ascension Out Today on PS4

Matt Thorson's Avatar Posted by Indie Game Developer, Matt Makes Games Inc

Today’s the day! TowerFall Ascension is finally launching on PS4. TowerFall is an archery platformer featuring intense local multiplayer battles and a dynamic solo — or co-op — Quest mode. Grab your friends and pack onto your couch for a night of close calls, surprise victories, and hilarious missteps.

The reviews began rolling in a few days ago, and I’m absolutely floored by the response. I’m not usually one to put a lot of stock in those dubious numbers emblazoned in bold at the bottom of articles, but I can’t deny it feels good to see the 9.5’s.

Making TowerFall has been the most rewarding experience of my life. When I put love into the
game, I see it returned to me tenfold by the TowerFall community, and it only appears to be growing.

I also had the privilege of working with some incredibly talented, capable, and pleasant people. I want to thank the entire team by name. Kevin Regamey and Jeff Tangsoc (sound design), Pedro Medeiros (pixel art), Amora Bettany (character design and concept art), Alec Holowka (music), and Kert Gartner (trailers).

TowerFall AscensionTowerFall Ascension

I also want to thank Sickhead Games, Nick Suttner, John Sanders, and all of Sony’s Third Party Production and PR teams for their support and genuine enthusiasm for the game. Everyone involved from the core team to Sony and Sickhead loves this game and it shows.

Thank you for playing!

Matt
@MattThorson

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

johnnyp70 said:

March 11th, 7:11 am

Question-If one has no friends interested in playing couch co-op, is the AI good enough to validate a purchase?

Matt Thorson's Avatar

Ryan Clements said:

March 11th, 2:16 pm

My experience with Quest mode has been awesome. Fighting the monsters is a great challenge.

so-knee said:

March 11th, 7:15 am

Any chance of a patch to make the game an online affair?

MUSIC-HEAD said:

March 11th, 7:19 am

I respect the work done to make the trailer, but I think this game show very poorly in trailer form. Now my opinion on the game is that it is one of the greatest multiplayer games of all time! anyone with friends should immediately buy this game!, It is so much fun!

Blacq_Soul said:

March 11th, 7:26 am

some online multiplayer would really sweeten the deal in my opinion

ILL_MITCH said:

March 11th, 7:27 am

Stoked about the game but as a guy who is a bit older than the couch-coop set, (and who moved to a different state than his friends,) it is my sincere hope that you add an online mode soon in DLC.

Congrats on the release (and the good reviews!)

BigPapaGlueHands said:

March 11th, 7:29 am

Due to the high paced, pixel perfect collision detection this game uses, you’ll never see an online mode, just FYI.

ILL_MITCH said:

March 11th, 7:35 am

I don’t buy that. Pixel perfect it not, many other competitive multiplayer games function beyond satisfactorily over the tubes.

ksmooches said:

March 11th, 7:47 am

I cannot wait!! Been playing this on Ouya since it released. It’s almost always any mans game. I’d rather keep it couch. The last thing I want is for some jerk to find an exploit and ruin all the online fun for everyone. You don’t need gamer friends to play this. It’s literally 3 buttons: Move, shoot, jump – well there’s the dash but it’s not necessary to enjoy the game. I plan on recording the screams and tears…this one will generate lots of embarrassing memories

XeahuleXolic said:

March 11th, 7:52 am

This game looks epic however I must have missed the price some how, I wonder how much??:)

Packfan104L4 said:

March 11th, 7:57 am

@9 $14.99 without Plus, $11.99 with Plus for the first week I believe.

kivi95 said:

March 11th, 8:07 am

No online no buy. Especially not at the $14.99 price.

Would have been fun if you could play 2 from one TV and play against 2 others via PSN. Only have two controllers and 2 players on this kinda of game does not look that fun.

MajorSam1031 said:

March 11th, 8:20 am

What time will the game be released today?

iREVOLTER said:

March 11th, 8:46 am

I love some couch coop, but I could gladly take online mode. To bad it doesn’t have an online option =\.

aro52 said:

March 11th, 8:46 am

The [PS+] price is right for the occasional party game, and I’m hoping the solo stuff holds up, but man… Online would have been a boon. It’s not easy getting a group of people (and 4 DualShock 4s) in a room these days with any frequency.

It’s not like it needs sophisticated matchmaking or anything. I have no desire to play with randoms. I’d just like to play with my friends, who happen to be in different locations.

Hogwild333 said:

March 11th, 8:50 am

I’ve glad to see the co-op mode offered. Is there an easy difficulty on the co-op mode because I would be playing with a less skilled gamer as my co-op partner?

I don’t see myself playing the MP mode until online is supported. I don’t have enough friends and PS4 controllers to make use of that mode as a local only mode.

KidCommando said:

March 11th, 8:54 am

Without the inclusion of online MP, I will have to pass.

Makes no sense that a game with intense multiplayer battles releases on a social heavy platform like the PS4 without online play.

AwRy108 said:

March 11th, 9:05 am

Would love to buy this, as it looks like amazing fun; but my current situation in life isn’t conducive to couch co-op–for me, the lack of online play is a deal breaker.

the_human_fish said:

March 11th, 9:26 am

so titan fall and tower fall released today. hmmm!!!!!!

JeRzYzFyNeSt said:

March 11th, 9:33 am

im gonna have to pass on this since this is no online… il get it later on

JeRzYzFyNeSt said:

March 11th, 9:37 am

im 25 yrs old game looks awesome but i can’t have 3 ppl at my place all the time for me to experience this game to the fullest.. thats why I’m passing on this for now

Matt Thorson's Avatar

Ryan Clements said:

March 11th, 2:18 pm

The Quest mode can be played solo, and it’s a lot of fun. Same with all the Trials challenges. ^_^

Sub-Zero said:

March 11th, 9:53 am

: : damn no online? I was gonna grab this today .

Dangisuckatgamin said:

March 11th, 9:55 am

Couch only coop is so dumb
I refuse to buy retail or indie that doesn’t support COOP online when there is COOP in the game! >:[

pablofsi08 said:

March 11th, 10:18 am

As has been said before, without online I won’t purchase a game that is primarily focused on versus gameplay. Make it so it has savestate prediction netcode to minimize input delay to the minimum like GGPO does, while you are at it.

Lacerz said:

March 11th, 10:47 am

I’ve been waiting for a local coop game. Excited to get this later today.

luvtoseek said:

March 11th, 11:34 am

This is my kinda game! PS+ or not, as soon as I purchase a PS4, it’s bought > installed! (8

MJtheMC said:

March 11th, 12:38 pm

Well I would have bought this game (even though it doesn’t have ONLINE MULTIPLAYER) but I’m not seeing it in the PSN Store on my ps4

PROSPEX said:

March 11th, 12:38 pm

I wan this game sooooo bad!! i just looked on the playstation store and its still not available WTF?
!!!!!

the_8cccD said:

March 11th, 12:40 pm

why is this game not available on the Playstation Store yet?

PROSPEX said:

March 11th, 12:41 pm

yeah where is it!!!!!

ILL_MITCH said:

March 11th, 12:52 pm

2pm PST is the rough target for Store Updates. They’ve been pretty good about adhering to it these past few months…

creature4244 said:

March 11th, 1:21 pm

It’s 4:20 and the game still isn’t showing up on my PSN store

creature4244 said:

March 11th, 1:26 pm

Nvm I remembered I live in eastern US so my time is different than Pacific

creature4244 said:

March 11th, 2:22 pm

It’s 5:22 est (2:22 pst) and towerfall still isn’t showing up

ILL_MITCH said:

March 11th, 2:31 pm

^^ My theory is the bigger the game anticipation (Dark Souls 2) the later you have to wait in the day for the Store Update. :~D

ShadoCris said:

March 11th, 2:42 pm

Where do I download this. It’s not showing up anywhere on my PSN….

HpNaCl said:

March 11th, 2:47 pm

When in gods name is this bodacious piece of gaming-goodness due to release on PS4 in Europe??!
I just want to give you my money but i cant =(

Easily one of my top 5 anticipated games for the PS4 (Yes i do enjoy fun more than a high amount of pixels and polygons).

Looks awesome, but im tired of checking if its up on PSN every five minutes, so if someone knows ANYTHING about a European release it would be just peachy :P

Virtute1979 said:

March 11th, 2:55 pm

Remember folks, you can use your Vita as another controller…

akibake said:

March 11th, 3:10 pm

As an adult who makes video games, I’m sure you can appreciate my situation as an adult who plays video games. Despite the charm of couch co-op, all of my gamer friends are online — some in the same city even, but the opportunity to play a game in the same room really isn’t there. We’re all too busy during the day and live in different places. There’s time at night for online multiplayer gaming, but this couch co-op limited gaming really doesn’t suit me or any gamers with jobs, relationships, and lives that I know.

BearAntlers said:

March 11th, 3:22 pm

@akibake so invite a friend(s) over on the weekend…

EGGS_ONE said:

March 11th, 3:28 pm

Would love to purchase this. That is if it was available. Oh well I guess I’ll go spend my money elsewhere.

ECisMe said:

March 11th, 3:29 pm

Would have definitely purchased this if it had been released on PS3.

Acknickulous said:

March 11th, 3:32 pm

Where is this game?? I don’t see it on the PSN store. At least here in the US.

Ruinaes06 said:

March 11th, 3:37 pm

Really, cmon! I have people coming over tonight just to play this, lets get it online already!!!

akibake said:

March 11th, 4:05 pm

@39 On weekends, I have band practice, twice. Then I have to pay attention to my girlfriend and do some chores. It really is night time, any night of the week when I can game, and that doesn’t usually allow freedom for friends to drop by. They’re busy too, with their own families and lives. Online multiplayer is our space to hang out, unless we meet up somewhere out of the house. As someone who grew up in the first wave of video games and knows the joys of gaming side-by-side with a buddy, I understand the concept, but I feel like this ignores the fact that our lives are increasingly time-limited, not just as adults but in general. Our lives are hyper-saturated with activity, more-so with all the gadgets and social interconnectivity. It is meaningful to sit down and share some game time with friends in the same room, but I don’t think it’s very realistic anymore. The PixelJunk series suffers the same limitation. Are they just being retro? All I know is that I’m not able to play PixelJunk Monsters on the PS3 with them online (PSP and Vita are online!). I’d like to enjoy TowerFall Ascension with them, but I just don’t think I can sell my friends on this game without there being online co-op.

DarkHoop said:

March 11th, 4:07 pm

Crap had a pizza party and was all going to play this till Agents of Shield came on. Come home after work to see we can even play this, why is it not out yet? Have a hour left everyone about to head out :(

ScarReaper83 said:

March 11th, 4:08 pm

I guess there going back to 8pm or 9pm on updates and they was doing so good updating before 2pm Pacific time

ShadoCris said:

March 11th, 4:15 pm

Why lie to us Playstation?! It’s still not online . You said it’d be here by toDAY. It’s not day anymore…

MJtheMC said:

March 11th, 4:21 pm

I’m really disapointed in psn. I’ve had my PS4 since Valentines Day and I have stayed up all night on MULTIPLE occasions to download a game thinking that if it comes out on Tuesday it comes out at 12AM. It’s really disappointing.

ILL_MITCH said:

March 11th, 4:28 pm

@48: the only person you should be disappointed in is yourself (for not educating yourself on the facts…). It’s never been midnight. It’s always been afternoon the day of.

BearAntlers said:

March 11th, 4:29 pm

@44 Well, it just means you have different priorities that don’t allow you to make time to play with friends on the weekend. That’s your choice, and it sounds like it’s working well for you. I don’t see why the developers should compromise their gameplay design because it makes it hard for someone to schedule in playing time.

PAGE 1 2 3