Knack 2

Mar 28

Mar 28

PlayStation Plus April Preview: Arkham City, Mercenary Kings and More

Kristine Steimer's Avatar Posted by Sr. Community Specialist

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, Batman! Yes, that is the sound of Batman: Arkham City coming to PlayStation Plus in April for PlayStation 3 owners. Arkham City garnered praise from gamers and critics alike, as evidenced by its cumulative 96/100 score on Metacritic. With the recent announcement of Batman Arkham Knight, this is a great way to catch up on Batman’s adventures.

PlayStation 4 owners can join up with friends and take down an evil corporation in a new 2D action game, Mercenary Kings. As you explore the island CLAW (that’s the evil corporation) has taken over, you’ll discover weapon parts that you can take back to your base and use to fashion together some new spiffy gear.

There are two other PS3 games this month: Stealth Inc. A Clone In the Dark and Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse. Stealth Inc. is, as you can probably guess, a game where you should stick to the shadows. The only way to make it out of the lab alive is via some sneaky platforming, so proceed with caution. Castle of Illusion is a proper remake of the Sega Genesis version, not just an HD upgrade. There are new levels to navigate but the goal is the same — save your #1 mouse (that’s Minnie) from the evil witch.

While Vita owners can also enjoy Stealth Inc. (the benefits of Cross-Buy!) this month, they’ll also get Velocity Ultra, an arcade-y space shooter where you’ll teleport around and save other ships, and Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate HD, a classic tower-defense style game where you’ll need to save baby Tiki-people.

April PlayStation Plus Preview

Mercenary Kings

Mercenary Kings (PS4)

Free for PS Plus members

In this frantic 2D action game, you are part of the Mercenary Kings, the most skilled team of warriors-for-hire on Earth, but when your comrades have fallen and the fearsome forces of CLAW have seized an island-wide top secret Laboratory Base, you must do what it takes to stop them. But you’re not going in unprepared! Your back-up is made of a crew of rogue geniuses and experts of their field! Able to craft & customize guns’n’blades or upgrading body armor, you’ve never been this ready to join the fight.

Batman Arkham City

Batman: Arkham City (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

No escape from Arkham City…the sprawling super-prison in the heart of Gotham City, home to its most violent thugs and infamous super villains. With the lives of the innocent at stake, only one man can save them and bring justice to the streets of Gotham City…The Batman.

IGN: “Batman: Arkham City is a brilliant game”

Stealth Inc

Stealth Inc. A Clone in the Dark (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Stealth Inc is a fast-paced stealth platformer featuring brutal hazards, ruthless enemies, fiendish puzzles and red pixels galore. Jump, sneak, and be chunked through 80 levels. Will you make it out alive? Armed with only your wits and a pair of top of the range Stealthing Goggles, it’s your job to sneak your way through a deadly facility that’s determined to extinguish your fragile little life. With no weapons and no armour, being seen means instant death.

Castle of Illusion

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Mickey Mouse returns to star in Castle of Illusion, a fantastical re-imagining of the Sega Genesis classic. With all-new HD graphics and gameplay, Castle of Illusion brings Mickey and his world to life in this magical Disney adventure! When the evil witch Mizrabel kidnaps Minnie, it’s up to Mickey to brave the dangers of the Castle of Illusion to rescue Minnie. Gather your courage and traverse enchanted forests, take on hordes of rebellious toys and navigate mazes of living books. Play as Mickey and save Minnie from Mizrabel’s evil clutches!

Velocity Ultra

Velocity Ultra (PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members

Featuring a new anime-influenced art style, touch screen to teleport, bombs on right stick, explosive visual effects, a Platinum trophy and PlayStation Trophy Leaderboards, Velocity Ultra improves on the 2012 Game Of The Year and PSN Gamers’ Choice Awards release in every area (except music ‘cos that rocked the first time around).

PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate HD

Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate HD (PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members

Tikiman the Forest Defender is in trouble. Hordes of monsters are sweeping through his realm, hoping to chow down on his offspring – and it’s up to you to defend them. By placing weapon towers at strategic points around the landscape, you can destroy the invaders and save the little ones. Collect treasure along the way to build up your arsenal and pay for new towers – countless waves of monsters are out to get the babies, so you need to be prepared to battle!

If you’ve got feedback on PlayStation Plus make sure you take the poll above as well as leave a comment below. To chat about all things PlayStation, including this update, you can head over to the PlayStation Community Forums. You’ll also find other topics you can contribute your thoughts to, or you can start your own discussion.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 8

xAtKx said:

March 28th, 6:04 am

Seems like an interesting month.

stpfarms said:

March 28th, 6:04 am

Kristine, I can’t keep up with these amazing monthly updates! 4 player old school Contra style couch/online coop on Mercanary Kings… can’t wait!

ossiecastro5 said:

March 28th, 6:05 am

I currently have Batman Arkham City. But it is a brilliant game and I recommend those that have not played it yet to play it now.

I’m also glad to see Castle of Illusion to be up there. That might be the only game I might get from Plus this month (first time that ever happened). But still, great update!

melman101 said:

March 28th, 6:06 am

Does the Stealth Inc. game come with the PS Vita version as well?

Hope all is well!

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

Kristine Steimer said:

March 28th, 8:00 am

Yes, it’s a nice bonus for PS Vita owners :)

PezManMike said:

March 28th, 6:07 am

I was going to buy Mercenary Kings, so great to see that it’s a perk!
Loved Castle of Illusion on the Genesis, can’t wait to play this one too.

All in all, another great PS+ month! Thanks!

MoonLance said:

March 28th, 6:07 am

Arkham City’s nice, but I’m looking forward to Mercenary Kings more. Nice lineup!

IhateBN said:

March 28th, 6:08 am

What have I done to deserve all these loves on my Vita?? Anyway Kristine you got a really sweet voice <3

iREVOLTER said:

March 28th, 6:08 am

Mercenary Kings! Hoorah! – Metal Slug Like game.

PS3 – collection is kinda old ? O_O Well its good but old ^_~.

Would love to see:
Maybe Diablo 3, Splinter Cell:Blacklist, Assassin’s Cree IV, Rayman Legends or something. Thx :) PS+.

TimeSkipLuffyUS said:

March 28th, 6:08 am

pretty cool update! :D Thank you!

o-mistborn-o said:

March 28th, 6:09 am

Seems like everything that goes on sale for plus members, ends up as the freebies for next month. I need to stop buying games it seems.

hartbrek310 said:

March 28th, 6:09 am

Darn, got 2 out of the 3 PS3 games (Batman and Mickie). Ah well, guess I got more time to catch up my 25+ game backlog. Hopefully a couple good sales as well. Any chance of getting Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, Hasbro Game Night 3 or Pac-Man Museum/Ghostly Adventures in the Instant Game Collection for the summer?

KeefRiffards said:

March 28th, 6:09 am

Awesome!

chatoalbert said:

March 28th, 6:09 am

Now the only thing lacking is a Vita version of Mercenary Kings, preferably with crossbuy.

Makinen said:

March 28th, 6:09 am

Not much for me this month although Batman Arkham City is an amazing game for anyone who hasn’t played it yet.

madz3579 said:

March 28th, 6:09 am

Oh my goossshhhh! Batman Arkham City. This made my day. Hopefully the DLCs will be on sale. Thanks PS Plus!

mshafer7 said:

March 28th, 6:09 am

Love the vita games this month, been wanting to try velocity ultra for a while now!

MGSolid_Snake said:

March 28th, 6:10 am

Playstation Plus is by far the best service available. This is awesome.

Flames2Envy said:

March 28th, 6:10 am

Wow finally getting Batman Arkham City after EU had it ages ago!! Better late then never i guess.
Looking Forward to playing Mercenary Kings, Looks Amazing.

Nice update otherwise, Thx Kristine =)

ghostaljjic said:

March 28th, 6:11 am

April is looking good. Nice timing with Batman AC. It’s such a fantastic game.

GeoDarky said:

March 28th, 6:12 am

PS+ FTW! very good month for me :) Thank you guys

Mando44646 said:

March 28th, 6:12 am

another pretty good month for PS3. PS4 is okay. Vita really sucks – AGAIN. How hard is it to give us full retail releases for the Vita IGC? Every month lately has been a disappointment

mahrudbingo99 said:

March 28th, 6:14 am

I was hoping for Arkham Origins, but this is still a good month.

Valde_zerocool said:

March 28th, 6:15 am

I really love the variety this month!

BlawxEX said:

March 28th, 6:16 am

Is Secret Ponchos going to be a PS+ title?

FriedConsole said:

March 28th, 6:16 am

Loved Mickey Mouse and thought it was 100 times better than DuckTales which everyone was going gaga over.

Velocity Ultra is one of the best games on Vita.

Stealth Inc. is one of the best puzzle platformers. The difficulty is perfect and it has a fun style.

Looking forward to Arkham City as Island was one of my favorite games of all time.

Where are all the people who say Europe has it better?

RE_Player said:

March 28th, 6:16 am

I have all of them except for Mercenary Kings. Good month though for those that don’t.

jamonxin said:

March 28th, 6:17 am

thank you for awesome games… please more co-op love for ps3 :) and thank you again, Ps+ the best service ever!

Frodomec said:

March 28th, 6:18 am

A BAD month for Vita owners.
Really Sony, we’re starting to lose the fate on Ps Vita…

mshafer7 said:

March 28th, 6:18 am

@melman101 Velocity Ultra is cross buy, it’s in the last paragraph just a before the PS+ free games line up video. :)

Ryumoau said:

March 28th, 6:19 am

Already played Arkyham City but looking forward to Mercenary Kings, since i’ve heard good things.

People with only a Vita might be disappointed by the two lame indie games. Thought for sure we might get Dynasty Warriors NEXT as the Vita game. maybe next time. :/

mshafer7 said:

March 28th, 6:21 am

@melman101 edit: I meant stealth…. :p

Frodomec said:

March 28th, 6:25 am

@Ryumoau

I’m one of these people.
I only have a Vita and i will tell you a thing: I’m tired of these Indie games.
We didnt buy a Ps Vita for it.
65% of PS Vita games are Indies + Monster Hunter Clones.
PLEASE, we dont need more of these things…

From a Ps Vita LOVER: Me

Sehrbaz said:

March 28th, 6:25 am

will we see not indie title as a PS4 plus game?

Sreenadh said:

March 28th, 6:25 am

Sony has really improved their Playstation Plus service and actually give out good games now. I am definitely renewing if this keeps up! Best surprise was Uncharted 3 and it went up hill from there. Although I do wish Sony did give playstation plus users Killzone Mercenaries on the PS Vita. The PS Vita collection really needs some work.

CrusaderForever said:

March 28th, 6:28 am

Another solid month! Batman AC is a great, great game! Mercenary Kings BOOM! Way to go Sony and Thanks! :)

NekoShogun said:

March 28th, 6:28 am

IT’S TIME TO TAKE THE FIGHT TO CLAW GUYS! ARE YOU KING ENOUGH TO TAKE THE DOWN?!

Nah, in all seriousness, that’s awesome. I was planning on buying the PS4 version to give Tribute some extra money, but this works too. :)

Behonkiss said:

March 28th, 6:29 am

Any word on if we’ll still have to purchase the Online Pass to access the Catwoman portions of Arkham City, or will that come with the download?

ShadowOfEden said:

March 28th, 6:30 am

Once again, I own most of those games already, but I don’t own the Ultimate version of Pixel Junk Monster, so I would be happy to replay it on my Vita!

ArmedOne78 said:

March 28th, 6:30 am

Sweet!! Another great list of games for Plus members. Is Air Conflicts: Vietnam Ultimate Edition for PS4 coming to the US?

DancerNinja said:

March 28th, 6:31 am

please take note of how many ppl who only own a vita are not imprssed by the past two months indy game line ups…

velocity ultra is okay…. but pretty much every NES space shooter was better.

EvyatarAtarEvyat said:

March 28th, 6:32 am

Great month for Vita! :)

Imnus said:

March 28th, 6:32 am

Any chance we would be getting Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 like EU, come on the World Cup is coming and I want to see if Pro Evo has improved enough to buy it next year. At this time my only sport game is MLB The Show.

smoothboarder540 said:

March 28th, 6:32 am

Not the greatest month for me, as I already have a couple of the games. I’m glad Arkham City is finally free; I may download that and play it again. This in’t the strongest month but it’ll do.

JuggleMan said:

March 28th, 6:32 am

Holy PlayStation update, Batman! This is quite an awesome lineup! Can’t wait!

ShadowOfEden said:

March 28th, 6:32 am

@Frodomec
Well speak for yourself. I did buy my Vita only for those indie games. At home, I play my console AAA. I only use my Vita in the subway and indies are the best for short sessions.

TakahashiStormer said:

March 28th, 6:33 am

Aside from Batman: Arkham City (which is AN AWESOME GAME), all games I was going to buy. Thank you PS+, for being the best investment I made in my whole life!

Teh_AKOD said:

March 28th, 6:33 am

This is a great month. Arkham city is such a great game. Stealth Inc. also looks like fun, specially on the vita. Looking forward to castle of Illusion as well.

KongWen said:

March 28th, 6:35 am

@32 – Speak for yourself! I definitely bought a Vita for the tons of promising indie games that have been coming out and continue to crowd the upcoming lineup, and I’m not alone. It’s nice to have a quality alternative to fatigued AAA garbage.

MKPACK said:

March 28th, 6:36 am

It looks like a good month for my Vita; although, I wish the Stealth Inc. offering included the Vita version. Mercenary Kings looks like a weaker offering, but maybe I’ll be surprised. I never got around to playing Arkham City, so that’s great to see. I own and played Castle of Illusion and I think those of you looking for an old school platformer with updated graphics will enjoy it!

My wish list for the future includes:

PS4: Lego Marvel Superhereos, Killzone Shadowfall, Trine Collection

PS3: Okami HD, Catherine, Braid, God of War Collection or GOW 3, Dishonored, Heavy Rain, higher rated Ratchet & Clank, Bayonetta, COD game with split screen, Gran Turismo 6, Resident Eveil 4 HD, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, The Walking Dead 400 days, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMix, Splinger Cell: Blacklist, DuckTales Remastered, AC4 Freedom Cry

Vita: LittleBigPlanet, Limbo, Terraria, Proteus, AC3 Liberation, Persona 4 Golden

PlayStation Now: Include PS Now access for our PS+ IGC libraries

Hogwild333 said:

March 28th, 6:36 am

I don’t know if Playstation is awesome at picking games to bring to PS Plus or if I am good at knowing which games to wait to come to PS Plus, but this is another month where I don’t have a single one of the games and I’m excited to try all except one. Keep up the great work Playstation!

PAGE 1 2 3 8