PlayStation VR

Apr 30

Apr 30

SHAREfactory: PS.Blog Demos PS4’s New Video Editor

Justin Massongill's Avatar Posted by Social Media Manager, SIEA

SHAREfactory is now available on PS4, alongside System Software Update v1.70. A dead-simple rich video editor, SHAREfactory lets players capture gameplay clips (a process that’s been streamlined as part of the v1.70 update) and add transitions, music, commentary, and more to turn their raw footage into full-fledged videos.

The PlayStation.Blog team — with painfully little knowledge of video editing — ventured blindly into this new app to see what we could come up with… and we think the results are pretty admirable given our lack of expertise! As it turns out, SHAREfactory is deceptively full featured, despite its instant accessibility.

Watch our videos below, then tell us whose is best. The editor who gets the most votes will forever bear the title of SCEA SHAREfactory Champion, and all privileges associated with it (I’m getting a belt made). Of course, we want to hear your arguments for each of our entries in the comments, as well.

First, I put together a tips guide for inFAMOUS Second Son’s new Photo Mode — a toy I’ve so far been unable to stop tinkering with.

Next, Ryan took the director’s seat to create a music video — comprised entirely of in-game footage and one of SHAREfactory’s included musical tracks.

Finally, Sid went for a more educational angle, explaining how SHAREfactory itself works — and tossing in a few video editing tips he picked up along the way.

There you have it! Three solid, perfectly respectable videos created by people who had literally no idea what they were doing. Now it’s decision time:

That does it for us — now it’s your turn. Download SHAREfactory on your PS4, start creating, and share with the #PS4share hashtag. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

airJordan_Xx said:

April 30th, 10:34 am

There all private

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Justin Massongill said:

April 30th, 10:35 am

Man, you got in there quick! They’ve live now. :)

Amiculi said:

April 30th, 10:34 am

This video is private!

Amiculi said:

April 30th, 10:35 am

Oh, now it’s not.

FifthDream said:

April 30th, 10:35 am

Oh! I almost forgot the update. ::goes to try to make an awesome video::

rwlove said:

April 30th, 10:36 am

does the update add a music player so that we can listen to our mp3s while we play games or is it just adding the music to videos in share factory, oh and we need ehrgeiz: god blees the ring as a ps1 classic on ps store, i really wanna play this on my vita

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

April 30th, 10:57 am

No, it’s just for making videos

RE_Player said:

April 30th, 10:40 am

I liked Sid’s video the most.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

April 30th, 10:52 am

^____^

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

April 30th, 10:52 am

(I think I actually like Ryan’s best, but they’re all great!)

waylander90232 said:

April 30th, 10:49 am

Nice work guy’s. Looks super powerful but simple to achieve great looking videos!

I can see a wave of in-game videos hitting social networks about…..now.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

April 30th, 10:58 am

It works really well. Most of us took about 2-3 hours total to capture tons of footage, learn the UI, and make the final video. Not bad at all! I’d be much faster for the next one.

Mngavis said:

April 30th, 10:50 am

Loved The Music video. The song is perfect for it. Can’t wait to try it out tonight.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

April 30th, 10:56 am

Ryan did a niiiice job ^_^

fizitXP said:

April 30th, 10:52 am

why is the mic quality so bad

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Justin Massongill said:

April 30th, 10:53 am

I had to record the second half of my commentary in a suuuper tiny and echoey room. I wish I had time to go back and re-do the words!

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

April 30th, 10:56 am

We used PS Camera. The headsets are more geared towards voice chat, but the Camera works well.

Mando44646 said:

April 30th, 10:52 am

does it let us edit screenshots as well? I dont do video but i love taking screenshots

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

April 30th, 10:56 am

Nope, just video. But cool idea!

Nightmare142 said:

April 30th, 10:56 am

I liked Justin’s video, he actually gave me some great ideas.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Justin Massongill said:

April 30th, 11:01 am

Thank you! I’m a photographer in real life, and I’m really impressed at how closely photographic concepts translate to Second Son’s photo mode. Made it pretty easy for me to just address the vid as a “tips for photography” type of thing. :D

i_Rebel90z said:

April 30th, 10:57 am

One thing i really want is the ability to share my screenshots or gameplays directly to the What’s New page’, instead of having to link with Facebook or Twitter first. Have “What’s New” it’s own channel for all PS members to see each others shares . Call it (The Share Station)

i_Rebel90z said:

April 30th, 11:00 am

I can’t figure out how to fade music? Or is it just not in there? I had to do a pseudo fade but splitting several points and dropping the audio on each one. Wondering if there is something I’m missing.

Justin Massongill's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

April 30th, 11:06 am

Yeah, that’s essentially how you do it — or cover it up with a transition.

Ejsponge61 said:

April 30th, 11:00 am

I really liked Justin’s video because It was actually useful and polished.

I liked Ryan’s video because it was more artistic than the other two (and I have a bit of Beyond (!) bias :) )

But I had to vote for Sid’s because, while I liked it’s polish, he used the song Danger Room from the old PSP fighter, The Con. I loved that song back in ’06! Yay nostalgia!

jgrizzle358 said:

April 30th, 11:02 am

I can’t choose between you guys. That’s like choosing between pizza and ice cream. :S

i_Rebel90z said:

April 30th, 11:05 am

You guys gotta add the old PS1 boot up as a intro. That would be so cool for my videos.

Thwip said:

April 30th, 11:06 am

Ryan’s was really the only one I would consider a full-fledged video, the others are more aptly described as tutorials; which I appreciated as well. But my vote has to go to Ryan.

SYSTEM_NUKED said:

April 30th, 11:37 am

So after the update my trophies disappeared and I keep getting an error of CE-34861-2 when trying to view my friends list. I hope this gets fixed.

SpooNManX said:

April 30th, 11:38 am

Mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3, mp3. And did I mention…. mp3? :P

Just_killer117 said:

April 30th, 11:59 am

Honestly , they all are great, i can’t vote for one ! what should i do? :D

Just_killer117 said:

April 30th, 12:00 pm

@15 dude at least you have an option. if i were you , i would go for the pizza :D

Grindhead_Jim said:

April 30th, 12:00 pm

Re: Number 09 –

Sid, are you saying we CAN’T us chat mics for commentary, and ONLY the PS4 Camera? If so, that seems like a huge oversight. We can stream using the camera, but pulling audio from the chat mic, so, I am willing to bet that it’s possible to ise the chat mic – I just want confirmation either way.

If it cannot be done, mark my words, I won’t be the only vocal complainer. That is, if you can hear me though my PS4 camera mic. ;)

Old_PopTarts said:

April 30th, 12:14 pm

I really hope this update fix’s the posted videos in the What’s New section. I can only see a few of my PSN friends video’s through the What’s New section. Most of my friends can’t see my videos either.

Rezolution77 said:

April 30th, 12:15 pm

Hard to say between Justin and Ryan.

Both have various interests, but will have to go with Justin due to part tutorial.

icorwo said:

April 30th, 12:18 pm

SHAREfactory is amazing. Great job! I know this is a bit off topic, but will the YouTube App be coming to PS4 anytime soon?

BlindMango said:

April 30th, 12:39 pm

This is awesome guys! Hopefully the YouTube Content ID system doesn’t go nuts on you guys for using music, haha

Surreal said:

April 30th, 12:44 pm

Winner for making an actual game related video is Ryan of course, but Sid and Justin you guys made very inspiring tutorials :)

Looking forward to more excellent software updates like 1.70 in the near future and hopefully featuring the excluded demands this time, like the option to change the UI background color and custom folders for sorting digital games. How about a “pin” option to pin my favorites to the front of the game chain?

D-Squad3 said:

April 30th, 12:50 pm

Really? You guys voted the music video as the best? It’s not even good. lol

BlueBl1zzard said:

April 30th, 12:53 pm

Nice job guys! I liked all the videos! I liked the tutorial/educational approach to Sid’s and Justin’s, that’s an idea I hadn’t even thought of. Ryan’s reminds me of an official trailer for the game (in a good way). But when it’s all said and done, Imma have to vote for Sid’s.

BlueBl1zzard said:

April 30th, 12:56 pm

@i_Rebel90z that’s a very good idea. It could be something like Live from Playsation , only filled with SHAREfactory videos.

Also, I recommend people to check the software manual in the LiveArea (sorry, used to that Vita terminology) part under the SHAREfactory app. They explain how it works very nicely.

SmokeAdellic said:

April 30th, 1:20 pm

Ps4 messing up when going into standby mode saying its shut down improperly after update..just thought you guys should know

lisatsunami said:

April 30th, 1:49 pm

Pretty impressive for first attempts. Not sure I’ll even use this feature, but I appreciate the instructions.
My favorite things from the update are dimming the DS4 and the additional voice commands. Used those right away.

ZswiFt said:

April 30th, 2:07 pm

Im not gonna lie…heres a tip…instead of bragging about this glorified video clip editor, you should go fix the bugs in this update like the one that causes Call of Duty :Ghosts to crash repeatedly unexpectedly …. or i mean we can keep playing dress up … -.-

Haruhila said:

April 30th, 2:24 pm

Share Factory is a good idea, but until Sony forces developers to be open about which games won’t record sound, I’m not going to shut up. I’ve already bought 2 games that I really looked forward to streaming but instead my friends were greeted with silent footage. It’s pointless to promote “sharing” as much as Sony does if half the titles can’t even be fully shared. Be open about this Sony!

warezIbanez said:

April 30th, 2:46 pm

Sorry, but Ryan’s selection of clips was pretty bad, save for the neon melee swing near the end of it. The music selection was terrible as well. I had to vote for Sid’s video, considering how he gave more unspoken rules about video recording and editing than Justin’s “tips” that sounds like he just rehashed a CAPTIN ROUND HOUS3 Youtube video with rehashed information that could be discovered within seconds of using the tool. Sorry to be cynical, but my reasoning is sound.

BlueBl1zzard said:

April 30th, 3:02 pm

@lisatsunami oh yeah, they did say that the voice command feature would be improved. What exactly are some of the new commands?

JoGam said:

April 30th, 3:05 pm

Hey will Video Chat ever making it to PS4? My friends and I bought a PS4 day assuming it did Video Chat. To our surprise it did not. Did we just waste money on a camera? Please respond.

CommandingTiger said:

April 30th, 3:10 pm

Justin for the music.
Ryan for the video.
Sid for the commentator.

anrew345 said:

April 30th, 4:54 pm

Sharefactory is missing a slow-mo fx. I was really hoping this would be in it so i can make awesome slow-mo videos. :( I hope they add it.

BlueBl1zzard said:

April 30th, 5:29 pm

@anrew345 Yeah I was hoping for the same.

Mello24 said:

April 30th, 5:31 pm

Is there any way to upload custom music of our own in Share factory?

saiyanknight87 said:

April 30th, 5:52 pm

sorry sid I actually dig ryans the most i’d say the runner up is yours though.

saiyanknight87 said:

April 30th, 5:54 pm

I’d also like to mention also that photomode needs to be standard in all games like these!!

StaticVariable said:

April 30th, 7:01 pm

This might be a silly question, but is anyone else showing SHAREfactory as not downloaded in their PS4 library, even though it is downloaded? Mine is showing the arrow icon as if it’s not downloaded. If I click to download it again, it says that it’s already been added to the download queue but the queue is empty. I can run the app no problem though. Minor issue, I know, but was wondering if this was a common glitch.

IceColdEskimo said:

April 30th, 7:28 pm

Separating myself from the fandom history of The Powerhouse, I’m gonna have to vote Team Sid on this one

TomatoDragon said:

April 30th, 8:33 pm

As someone who’s working in marketing as an editor for over 15 years…I love Share Factory. Been going to town with it. So nice to get away from Avid and After Effects for a bit. Only thing I hope, in the future, is if there is an option to create your own custom transitions, or able to import a quicktime with an embedded matte. That would be sweet.

meFreeman said:

May 1st, 3:11 am

And my video http://youtu.be/Re0ds7y2TrU hope you guys enjoy it!

stefer09 said:

May 1st, 3:17 am

This is awesome guys! You did great for a group who had not much experience developing video editors! Already uploaded one video to youtube and started working and capturing video in another game for another project.

Here’s an idea :

DLC for intro/outro packs and DLC for background music. (or free updates, whatever you guys think is best for the product!)

And i know we can copy it to a USB drive but eventually being able to upload our content to youtube would be a sweet bonus.

Thanks for the great app!

er910 said:

May 1st, 7:39 am

I like Justin’s best, but Sid gets brownie points for using Chuck D for the sound track.

DonArmageddon said:

May 1st, 2:40 pm

All are awesome, but I’d have to pick Ryan for the W. Beyond!

Here’s an alternate Octodad trailer I put together: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10102309134108565

PAGE 1 2