Knack 2

May 06

May 06

Sportsfriends Out Today: Local Multiplayer Madness on PS4, PS3

Doug Wilson's Avatar Posted by Producer, Sportsfriends

Our local multiplayer compendium Sportsfriends goes live today on PlayStation Store! It’ll be available as a digital download on both PS4 and PS3 for $14.99 as soon as PS Store updates this afternoon. And if you purchase Sportsfriends on PS3, you’ll also be entitled to download the PS4 version for free.

Update: Sportsfriends is now live on PlayStation Store!

4 FULL-SIZED GAMES IN 1

Sportsfriends is a collection of multiple games! Not dumb throwaway mini-games, but fully fledged, deeply competitive local multiplayer games.

Sportsfriends includes:

Oh, and there are tons of secrets, including some pretty big ones…

MOVE NOT REQUIRED

Play with DualShock 4 or 3!

You do not need a PlayStation Move to play Sportsfriends! We totally love the Move, and it’s a perfect fit for J.S. Joust (on both PS3 and PS4), but you can also play J.S. Joust with the DS3 and DS4!

DualShock 4 is especially nice, as we use the LED and the speaker to help signal gameplay animation. You don’t need a camera either. No Sportsfriends game makes use of the camera.

SHARE CONTROLLERS!

Don’t own so many controllers? No problem! We’ve made it so you can play Hokra and Super Pole Riders by “sharing” a controller with your teammate or opponent.

When you share a controller, you use one analog stick and the other person uses the other stick.

That means you only need one controller to play Super Pole Riders, and two for Hokra! (Tip: 1v1 Hokra is super fun! Split your brain and control both players on your team.)

BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER THROUGH GAMEPLAY

Sportsfriends

Our favorite videogame memories involve playing with other people, together, in the same space. Think of Sportsfriends as an occasion to bring people together, both friends and strangers alike.

The Sportsfriends games are deliberately simple – no-frills multiplayer honed down to its raucous essentials. We wanted to make games that were spectator-friendly, accessible, and enjoyable for both hardcore gamers and non-gamers alike. We’re really proud of the end result, and think you’ll dig it too.

Add Your Own

io-knight said:

May 6th, 9:14 am

I don’t understand how J.S. Joust supports the Move if no Sportsfriends game uses the camera…

Doug Wilson's Avatar

Doug Wilson said:

May 6th, 10:15 am

What matters is accelerometer. It’s a game about not moving your controllers, no camera or computer vision needed.

klassymike said:

May 6th, 9:14 am

Looking forward to playing this with the family!

YoureATowel said:

May 6th, 9:16 am

Is there a Hands-on preview for this? I kinda think it needs one?

naDOOFUS said:

May 6th, 9:20 am

Congrats Doug and the whole team!

notoptimus said:

May 6th, 9:33 am

This should be on BD. It’s something you’d want to bring to a friends house. Definitely still getting it though.

mrEkli said:

May 6th, 9:36 am

@1 SIXAXIS motion detectors ( Accelerometers, Gyroscopes).

RodSquad1167 said:

May 6th, 9:43 am

I’ve been playing JS Joust for months. This is worth it just for that game. Funnest use of the Move controllers I’ve ever seen.

Elway358 said:

May 6th, 9:44 am

So next-gen….

Am I the only one that thinks most of the junk being shoveled onto PS4 is actually lesser quality and value than PS3? It’s getting really old, really fast imo…

Welmosca said:

May 6th, 9:57 am

This game looks great…local MP is where its at…..the real thing….I’ll be getting this game to play with my brother.Fun is guaranteed.

tusunami said:

May 6th, 9:59 am

While I see that couch co- op apparently has a huge following I hope going forward that there won’t be a major influx of only couch co-op games coming out for PS4 because with a better online infrastructure games are better suited to have both options for gamers with online multiplayer as well.

BlueBl1zzard said:

May 6th, 9:59 am

I’ll be picking this up today. Especially looking forward to playing some Joust!

Sinistar83 said:

May 6th, 10:22 am

Any PS plus discount?

Will the PS4 version also support streaming on Twitch If they have camera connected? Would be funny to see people try to play this like they do with the position app.

PenguinProtocol said:

May 6th, 10:27 am

About to buy 4 PS Move controllers, do I need a PS Move Nav controller as well? Or can I use one of my DS4s to navigate menus?

Doug Wilson's Avatar

Doug Wilson said:

May 6th, 11:18 am

No Nav needed! (and we don’t even support it)

You can actually use the Move to navigate the menus, if you hold down the trigger button and move the Move left/right or up/down.

DrApollo said:

May 6th, 10:32 am

@Elway358-#8

Next Gen is getting a chance to play something you’ve never played before. Sport friends is not necessarily next gen though. Its available for PS3 too. But it does give a chance for people who only have a PS4 to play the game also. There will be games that will push graphics for sure like Uncharted 4 but I’m more interested in pushing gameplay. Sports Friends looks like fun and is not 60$. The 60$ blockbusters will come and its still early in the PS4 life. That being said…I’m finding plenty to play.

PenguinProtocol said:

May 6th, 11:39 am

+ Doug Wilson

Awesome awesome awesome. Thanks for the swift reply. Can’t wait to play!

WrekGar said:

May 6th, 12:42 pm

I played J.S. Just last year at E3 and it is definitely fun with enough room and controllers. Can’t wait for the store to update.

GOODKyle said:

May 6th, 3:56 pm

As much as I love this game, actually requiring more than one person to play is really poignant. A lot of people have busy lives with friends who lead equally as busy lives and trying to get them over to play a game, as often as you like, is annoying. I understand why the joust game doesn’t have online multiplayer but the rest? Unless you know people who don’t have a job, you can’t play this game as often as you like. Personally I’ll be lucky if I can even touch this game once every other week now.

FerioKun said:

May 6th, 4:48 pm

So is it 4 player max for JS Joust? Id love to have the biggest possible games, but unsure on max player limit.

BlueBl1zzard said:

May 6th, 5:15 pm

@Feriokun I believe they said in their last post that the max players (for Joust) on the PS4 version is 4 and on the PS3 it’s 8.

ken_kimura said:

May 7th, 6:25 am

Why is the game cross buy for the ps3 version only? I know that it is the kind of thing that is easy to deal with if you are aware but why not just give the cross buy thing to anyone buying through the ps4 too? Seems silly to me…

PartyPachanga said:

May 7th, 11:12 am

Can i use my ps move or ps3 controllers with the ps4 version?

marwoodwithnail said:

May 9th, 9:52 am

Ive bought this on my PS4 and want to play it also on my PS3. Is there any reason the cross buy only works one way?

Grandisimo said:

May 10th, 4:56 pm

I second marwoodwithnail’s question. Why is this only cross-buy if you buy it on the PS3 first?

ali_pprc said:

May 21st, 3:10 pm

how could I buy this game ? is like normal games in blue-rays or something else ?

wilfareus said:

May 25th, 9:16 am

man how I hope I read this before I bought the game.
I have a PS3 and PS4…. I would have appreciated the crossbuy when buying the PS4 version

Stix333 said:

May 26th, 6:57 am

Same here! I bought the PS4 version assuming that the cross buy went both ways. I have more controllers for the PS3 and it supports more players for JS Joust. Really disappointed, gonna contact PSN to see if they can sort it out.