God of War

May 21

May 21

SingStar Coming to PS4 Alongside Free Companion App This Year

Chris Bruce's Avatar Posted by SingStar Game Director

Hi everyone! Here at SingStar HQ we’re really excited to announce some very big changes coming to SingStar this year.

SingStar on PS4

It’s hard to believe but SingStar is ten years old today, and in that time we’ve sold a whopping 26 million copies, so thanks to all of you for your fantastic support over the years.

Over the last decade we’ve really tried to keep making your SingStar experience the very best possible, like launching the SingStore back in 2007 to give you instant access to the best tracks online. And we don’t plan to stop any time soon.

We’re pleased to announce that SingStar will be coming to PS4 later this year! We’ll also be launching a free SingStar app that will transform your smartphone into a microphone. That’s right, no mics required.

The app works with both PS3 and PS4 versions of SingStar and is compatible with smartphones and tablets. The app will also let you create your own personal playlists.

We’re also working hard to optimize the social experience of SingStar by making it even easier to share the best bits of your night on Twitter and Facebook straight from the game. With an improved scoring system you can also build up your XP and get rewarded for game activity, or challenge your friends online and entertain them with your renditions of your favorite songs.

SingStar on PS4

You’ll also be able to download tons more songs from the SingStore, from the latest Pop hits and Rock classics, to Hip Hop and RnB. In fact, we’ve just added Bruno Mars and some REM classics.

We’ll be sharing more details over the coming months, so please keep an eye right here on PlayStation.Blog for more on SingStar.

Over and out!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

AmericanNinja1 said:

May 21st, 9:07 am

Cool!

ixnine said:

May 21st, 9:14 am

This is awesome! I’ll be looking forward to checking this out.

Question, will my previous catalogue of songs I’ve purchased from the PS3 SingStar carry over to the PS4 version?

Chris Bruce's Avatar

Jenny Barbour said:

May 21st, 9:47 am

HI Ixnine

Where possible we’ll be making tracks available on both platforms. If you have already bought the track on PS3, and the song is available on PS4 then you won’t have to pay again. :)

ixnine said:

May 21st, 9:17 am

…also, any plans to somehow include the PS Vita in all this?

Chris Bruce's Avatar

Jenny Barbour said:

May 21st, 12:44 pm

No plans to support Vita yet, but we are always looking to do new stuff on SingStar! So maybe in the future…

ElektroDragon said:

May 21st, 9:18 am

Are we going to get some awesome wireless microphones this time like MS released for Lips?

klerikofkaos said:

May 21st, 9:23 am

Europe is getting a full retail release with 30 tracks. What are the chances of us getting a full release here in NA? I’ll pay for it! Also, thanks for allowing me to transfer my massive song purchases over! Must buy for me!

Myke-Myke said:

May 21st, 9:23 am

Very smart/innovative. Can’t wait to try to see if it ACTUALLY works.

subadictos said:

May 21st, 9:27 am

Questions:

* Will be PS3 mics compatibles?
* Will I be able to download every song I already bought?
* I have a US account with some songs, but my wife has their own account with her songs… we can combine them on PS3. Will we able to do that on PS4?

Chris Bruce's Avatar

Jenny Barbour said:

May 21st, 10:34 am

Hi Subadictos!

To answer your questions:

* Will be PS3 mics compatibles?
    Yes the PS3 mics will be compatible

* Will I be able to download every song I already bought?
    If you have purchased the song on PS3 and it is available on PS4 then you will be able to download it for free.

Yes ,this should be possible.

Brooklyn008 said:

May 21st, 9:29 am

Yes!!! No more peripherals? Awesome. Great idea!

JMBlakk said:

May 21st, 9:29 am

You guys should do something with Urban Rap music. Maybe even use Future as the headline artist, he is Sony

DUDEFROMATLANTA said:

May 21st, 9:33 am

will the ps3 mics that came with previous singstars work on ps4?

Chris Bruce's Avatar

Jenny Barbour said:

May 21st, 10:36 am

Yes the PS3 mics that previously came with SingStar will work on PS4

ATOMS11 said:

May 21st, 9:33 am

Great idea! Need to dust off the old wind pipes!

Rezolution77 said:

May 21st, 9:36 am

Glad you are brnging this to PS3, since it would not be reason enough to buy a PS4.
First I have even heard about this.

Budapesti said:

May 21st, 9:38 am

…and we’ll be able to transfer all the songs we bought on PS3 over to PS4, right?

altrodesi said:

May 21st, 9:39 am

This is great! I wanna try the phone app. Thanks for the extra work.

Rezolution77 said:

May 21st, 9:43 am

Hope it better than the Youtube app. Can not even share videos without twitter, and since google changed sign in process I can not even favorite anything without a computer.

Really do not want another app that does not even function properly.

Or is like a real estate flyer that claims sparkling lool and weight rooom which consists of a bag of sand and a glass of water.
That could be said for most “claimed” apps, though Cackle is not too bad.

Rezolution77 said:

May 21st, 9:48 am

Sony, you really need to make better use of Sony Music.

melka_ashur said:

May 21st, 9:52 am

Ingenious use of peripheral devices! Nice!

Doctor_Hank_Pym said:

May 21st, 9:56 am

Any chance of a Vita version that I could play on the trainride to work? The lack of Vita support for this franchise so far has been reprehensible.

Sony, I love you, but you need to do a better job of not alienating that portion of your fanbase who’d take joy in weirding-out fellow commuters by singing alone on public transit.

Pendharker said:

May 21st, 10:15 am

This is FANTASTIC news! Is there going to be any concept of harmonization or vocal battles in local play? Nearly everyone has a smartphone that is either Android or iOS, so could me and three buddies stand in the same room on the same machine and sing together on our various devices?

Chris Bruce's Avatar

Jenny Barbour said:

May 21st, 12:47 pm

Glad you are so excited! (So are we :0) )
    You can definitely do vocal battles, but it is limited to 2 players at a time and yes you can use various devices.

TesseractE said:

May 21st, 10:18 am

I know you guys had initially avoided wireless mics on the PS3 because of lag concerns. How are you handling that with a companion app that would undoubtedly introduce more lag than simple bluetooth?

Also, will BT headsets be usable with the companion app?

Zezzler said:

May 21st, 10:21 am

Singstar is my jam, so I’m glad to see it’s coming to PS4! I have really high hopes that the companion app makes playlist/setlist nice and easy, and the convenience of having smartphone as mics makes it even easier to have singstar parties!

I can’t wait to see what you guys deliver next!

Chris Bruce's Avatar

Jenny Barbour said:

May 21st, 12:28 pm

Thanks Zezzler! We hope that with the convenience of turning your phone into a mic that more people will check out all the fun SingStar has to offer.

luvtoseek said:

May 21st, 10:23 am

YES! Singstar has a huge following in EU, I hope that success is mirrored here! When I purchase my PS4, I can finally practice “I Told You So, Told You, Told You, Told You So!”

guitarded77 said:

May 21st, 10:23 am

Will our PS3 mics work with the PS4?

Chris Bruce's Avatar

Jenny Barbour said:

May 21st, 12:29 pm

Yes! So pull out those old PS3 mics if you have them and sing away :-)

Satnamji said:

May 21st, 10:29 am

So glad to hear this! Any other changes to the PS3 version besides use of smart phones for mics? I hope you make an app for the Vita as well (for mic function and any other cool functions) and of course allow use of PS3 wired mics for PS4 version.

subadictos said:

May 21st, 10:29 am

Will be able to streaming our sessions via SHARE on PS4?

Print_Dog said:

May 21st, 10:53 am

THis is great. Nice trailer btw.

paulogy said:

May 21st, 11:02 am

Glad to see support spread into mobile devices. By any chance might you be able to use the mic on the gaming headset too?

warlock7 said:

May 21st, 11:09 am

Will old game discs work in the new game for content delivery like in SingStar on PS3?

Chris Bruce's Avatar

Jenny Barbour said:

May 21st, 12:31 pm

Sorry, but PS2 and PS3 discs can’t be played on PS4.

MarinoBrea said:

May 21st, 11:12 am

Yes, get this out of the way now, we don’t want you announcing this …stuff, at the E3 conference.

DaosX said:

May 21st, 11:15 am

If I have the games on discs, can I insert the PS3 discs to play the songs on them or will there be a way to add songs from the discs I own into one large catalogue? In the original, if I wanted to play a certain song from a specific disc, I’d have to change discs if I wanted songs from different discs. Will there ever be a way to collect ALL of them from separate discs together?

erlycon78 said:

May 21st, 11:30 am

This is amazing news! I had sold my PS3 to pay for my PS4 and had to say goodbye to SingStar and all the songs I purchased. Now, it looks like I might get them back. Just another reason I’m Team Playstation for life! You guys rock. Pun intended!

Podyman said:

May 21st, 11:54 am

Dear US, friends. I wish you happy experience with Singstar forcibly pinned up to your dashboard, like SCEE did to our european PS3s.

yowzagabowza said:

May 21st, 11:57 am

Please dont stick this app on my machine until i actually download it.

Chris Bruce's Avatar

Jenny Barbour said:

May 21st, 12:39 pm

Not to worry, it will not be pinned to your dash.

harpermd said:

May 21st, 12:13 pm

It’d be great if there were a subscription service allowing me to pay monthly for access to the whole catalog of tracks.

Thwip said:

May 21st, 12:56 pm

The mics were always the barrier for my family and this game (radio towers caused interference), pleased to see my family will now be able to play as well.

Mando44646 said:

May 21st, 12:57 pm

Good idea with the app! Less peripherals on a console, then better!

xplummerx said:

May 21st, 1:06 pm

Please do what you can to have those songs that are already in the store for the PS3 available for the PS4. Some of us have considerable song collections that we would hate to miss out on just by changing platforms.

Most importantly, I hope that the DLC is much better than it has been in the past. Rocksmith has been doing a great job with their weekly DLC, and I can’t even begin to think about how much I spent on Rock Band DLC over the years. I would’ve dropped a lot more on SingStar, but the DLC was just spotty at best…there weren’t weekly updates (so I just knew to check back in every month or so to see if there was anything new), and when we did get updates, we tended to get so much garbage. It’s sad when you’re a music lover who likes a wide variety of genres and you have no idea who the bands/singers are in the DLC.

I’ll buy songs, lots of songs, but you’ve got to give me some stuff I’ve heard of.

plaztiksyke said:

May 21st, 1:12 pm

1) Will I be able to play/import songs from SingStar PS3 discs that I own (Vol. 2 and Singstar+Dance)?

2) Will Singstar+Dance and/or Singstar+Guitar tracks be playable? It would a coup to be the first to make use of guitar peripherals on PS4!

3) Will video and/or audio quality be improved? Everybody Dance had better audio/video quality than Singstar on PS3, and Just Dance 2014 on PS4 has improved audio quality versus previous PS3 versions. It would be fantastic if SingStar PS4 was the first karaoke game to have losslessly-compressed audio, so I’m really curious about the codec and bitrate.

4) Will existing SingStore content be re-encoded with the improved quality?

plaztiksyke said:

May 21st, 1:13 pm

5) Genius idea to use smartphones for the microphones! How are you overcoming latency issues? Will there be a calibration step, or warning in the app if the detected latency is too off? Dense apartment building can have a *lot* of Wifi access points all on the same channel with lots of collisions, making for latency in the hundreds of milliseconds.

6) I love how the Vita can connect to SingStar PS3 as second screen for choosing songs while someone is singing. It’s great for parties! Will the Vita be able to connect to SingStar PS4 as a second screen as well?

Here’s my vote for more (post-80s) Duran Duran, They Might Be Giants, Devo, Cobra Starship, Beck, Polyphonic Spree, and Weird Al videos!

Dangisuckatgamin said:

May 21st, 1:23 pm

Count me in! :)!

ghostaljjic said:

May 21st, 1:24 pm

Very innovative. The twitch/ustream integration should make it even more entertaining. WOuld be cool if there could be competitions/voting interaction. lots of possibilities.

Amnalehu said:

May 21st, 1:31 pm

@ghostaljjic: great ideas! We could have playstation Idol! Twitch/Ustream voting and interaction is a must have. I was just thinking that they should bring Singstar over to the PS4. I’m really glad to see it coming and I can’t wait to play it with friends and fam!

ElektroDragon said:

May 21st, 1:50 pm

PLEASE make a Singstar app for Windows Phone too! Pretty please?

AvA_Dennis said:

May 21st, 1:59 pm

Awesome! can’t wait :D

yazter said:

May 21st, 4:11 pm

So like, will this game be forced onto the user interface à la PS3?

danielbryce86 said:

May 21st, 5:01 pm

This is very exciting news! I’m glad to hear that I won’t lose all the songs I have accumulated on my PS3 :)

Will you be developing the Singstar app for Windows Phone too?

danielbryce86 said:

May 21st, 5:04 pm

Also any plans to bring some classic Taylor Swift, Christina Aguilera, Demi Lovato, Destiny’s Child or Missy Higgins to the Singstore?

Elvick_ said:

May 21st, 6:17 pm

Yay~ I love SingStar, glad it’s getting support. I seem to recall this being mentioned a long time ago, but hadn’t heard anything on it since then. (not surprising really SCEA barely talks about SCEE stuff like SingStar)

I think you kind of missed the boat a bit though. It would have been great for you guys to have had it at launch.

tusunami said:

May 21st, 7:36 pm

Say what this just my be the game that I get to play I have heard about sings tar before but never paid the game any mind. But now I am very interested in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XerveX said:

May 22nd, 1:50 am

Hope to get the songs of these Artist:

Olly Murs – Oh My Goodness
Olly Murs – Army of Two
Olly Murs – Busy
Olly Murs A Million more years lyrics
Olly Murs – Classified

One Direction – Story of My Life
OneRepublic – Stop And Stare

Pharrell Williams – Happy (Official Music Video)

Far East Movement – Rocketeer ft. Ryan Tedder