Farpoint

Jul 10

Jul 10

Skullgirls Encore Coming to PS4 and PS Vita in 2014

Peter Bartholow's Avatar Posted by CEO, Lab Zero Games

Very little has been constant during Skullgirls’ two year existence — after all, the game has changed distributors and even developers. But one thing has stayed with us all this time: people asking us to bring the game to PS Vita and, more recently, PS4.

We read your comments, we took them to heart, and we’re finally making it happen: Skullgirls Encore will be coming to PS4 and PS Vita later this year!

Skullgirls Encore on PS4, PS Vita

The PS4 and PS Vita versions of Skullgirls Encore will be complete, including all of the DLC characters, stages, and story funded by Lab Zero’s Indiegogo campaign, as well as “All Play” multiplayer lobbies and an extensive art gallery.

Skullgirls Encore for PS Vita will also be playable on PlayStation TV, and support up to two local players using DualShock 3 or 4 controllers.

We’ll have more info on features and pricing as these exciting new versions get closer to launch.

We’re headed off to Evo 2014 and will be holding a side-tournament with a $5000 starting pot from Lab Zero and Autumn, and PS4 systems graciously provided by Sony for the 1st and 2nd place winners.

So if you’re going to Evo, be sure to stop by and meet the Lab Zero team and enter the tournament!

And if you can’t make it, be sure to tune into MadCatz’s Twitch stream to watch the Skullgirls Top 8, starting around 1:00 PM on Saturday, July 12th!

If you’re going to Evo, be sure to stop by and meet the team!

Eliza Update

Those that have been watching our stream know that Eliza is coming along nicely, but we’ve gone ahead and put together a short video showing all of her (obviously unfinished) moves in action.

All of this is being tested now in our PC beta, so you can trust that she’ll be fun and balanced when she’s released on PS3 later this summer.

And here’s a sneak peak at Eliza’s story mode.

Skullgirls Encore on PS4, PS Vita

Eliza’s story mode is our biggest, deepest yet. Fans interested in Skullgirls’ story and lore will find a lot to enjoy here.

Beowulf and Robo-Fortune

At the Skullgirls Anime Expo panel, the Lab Zero team revealed a bit more about Skullgirls’ future, with Beowulf move concepts.

Beowulf is a wrestler, and will draw on all sorts of over-the-top wrestling moves. In addition to being a great grappler, he’ll also be able to throw his chair, The Hurting, and use it in interesting and strategic ways.

We’re just about to begin animation pre-production for Beowulf, so for now, take a look at a few of these early concept pieces!

Skullgirls Encore on PS4, PS VitaSkullgirls Encore on PS4, PS Vita

At our Anime Expo panel we also revealed the final design of our new “remix” character, Robo-Fortune. We have a million ideas for palettes based on robots throughout games and anime — can you guess this one?

Unlike our April Fool’s “clone” character, Fukua, Robo-Fortune will be fully drawn over with her new design, and also feature new animations to make her look and feel significantly different from her flesh and blood counterpart.

And thus concludes our update on all things Skullgirls: new platforms, new characters, and continued momentum. Thanks for reading!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

Tomoprime said:

July 10th, 2:05 pm

1st!

Is this a crossbuy?

Ouren said:

July 10th, 2:05 pm

VITA!

Yesssssssss

necroticart said:

July 10th, 2:06 pm

will this be cross buy I really want to play this on the Ps4/Vita but don’t want to have to repurchase a game i already own.

Yaholo said:

July 10th, 2:06 pm

Yes! Keep it coming on vita!

gexillion said:

July 10th, 2:07 pm

Great can’t wait for this on ps4.

ShadowKing0 said:

July 10th, 2:07 pm

Cool will probably buy this for PSVITA.
The Game just has a PSVITA look to it.

Goldanas said:

July 10th, 2:11 pm

Awesome, guys! I’ve got SKullgirls on PS3 and PC right now, and really enjoy what you guys are doing. Looking forward to the dude characters. A few minor questions:

1. For PS4 and Vita, will there be cross-buy stuff, especially for those who own the PS3 version? I know you guys are a small team, and you were gracious enough to give Encore to anyone who owned the original for free, and that was awful nice of you, so I understand if at some point you have to make money. If you can’t do 100% cross-buy with PS3 could you at least have some form of handsome discount?

2. I love the beta stuff on the PC and think that’s really rad. Is there a way you can do this sort of thing for the PS4? Even if it was just a switch within the main menu to hop on over to Beta changes, it’d be real cool, and would make it easier to try that stuff out. Again, I know you guys are small, and I imagine something as different and interesting as this might be difficult to maintained or even get going with Sony.

Thanks again for being cool!

MyrequeArk said:

July 10th, 2:12 pm

Hopefully we’ll get a special offer for people who already own the PS3 game. At least a discount would be nice :D

Also, I wonder how you guys are gonna map the buttons for assist calls and such on PS Vita since it has 2 less buttons to work with, hopefully no rear touchpad/touchscreen gimmicks :D

Sharingan_itachi said:

July 10th, 2:12 pm

Why no ad hoc?

PZDugna said:

July 10th, 2:13 pm

Vita is only missing just a slight few fighters and it will be the best handheld ever for fighting fans.

pi8you said:

July 10th, 2:13 pm

Awesome, can’t wait to add it to both my PS4 and Vita (64GB card when, Sony?). Getting a little Gundam with that palette?

Sonicfan11589 said:

July 10th, 2:13 pm

Cool, I will definitely look into this, I have it on my PS3 via PS +. Never gave it a chance, so I’ll think I’ll try it out to see what all the fuss is about.

Tomoprime said:

July 10th, 2:13 pm

Wow I love the various combos. Many animations. Thanks for sharing the rough sketches looks great.

damiblock said:

July 10th, 2:17 pm

I hope it is crossbuy >.<

maxcoronel2014 said:

July 10th, 2:21 pm

Cross-buy Please! Already own it on PS3.

CapJSheridan said:

July 10th, 2:23 pm

Most of us are wishing for Cross-Buy, but it’s ok if you guys want to make some extra money, it’s not like you’re a big evil corporation, we know it will be put to good use

Superstone said:

July 10th, 2:24 pm

This is great!!!!

invalidid said:

July 10th, 2:24 pm

Lord knows there’s a shortage of 2-D games on a $400 PS4. Flame me don’t care.

gluemchen said:

July 10th, 2:26 pm

We NextGen now! #WeMadeIt

xClayMeow said:

July 10th, 2:27 pm

Picked this up on Steam awhile back. Really awesome! Glad to see it’s coming to Vita!

JumpMan33 said:

July 10th, 2:29 pm

W00t thank you lab zero!

Any chance the new versions will support cross-play with the PS3 version? (Kind of like how PS3 players and PS4 players can play online together in guilty gear xrd)

xClayMeow said:

July 10th, 2:30 pm

@pi8you (11)

Amazon sells the 64GB Vita Memory:

amazon.com/PlayStation-Vita-Memory-Card-64GB-PCH-Z641J/dp/B00F27JGVA

djsaiyan said:

July 10th, 2:32 pm

I’m going to join in with the people saying they hope it’s cross-buy with the PS3 version, because that would be awesome.

But I’d totally understand if it’s not.

Actually, even just cross-buy for the new PS4/Vita versions, excluding PS3, so those of us who have it on PS3 but want it on all systems don’t have to triple dip, would be pretty stellar.

snakeeyes211 said:

July 10th, 2:35 pm

Is this a crossbuy?
I own the PS3 version

MakoSoul said:

July 10th, 2:35 pm

Hoping for cross-play and cross-buy, but I doubt either will happen.

maouvin said:

July 10th, 2:37 pm

Awesome!

Will the PS4 version support PS3 arcade sticks? (I’m going with the rumor that compatibility is up to the devs here, so pardon me if such rumor is bs)

MakoSoul said:

July 10th, 2:40 pm

That said, if there isn’t cross-buy, you’re going to have to give these versions a different name to justify the lack of cross-buy. I suggest: Skullgirls Double Encore: Standing Ovation Edition

pi8you said:

July 10th, 2:45 pm

@xClayMeow (22)

I saw that the other day and know I can (and will probably) go that route, but they’re still imports. I meant more generally that I’d like to see them brought over officially, a shot in the arm for the system to help make room for all those downloadable games (and something for stores to stock, with the dearth of big A/AA/AAA physical games…). I’m falling behind on playing stuff on my Vita simply because I don’t have room left on it, even with a 32GB card, and juggling games around to make room is no fun at all.

I_Be_Trollin_69 said:

July 10th, 2:46 pm

I really wanted this game on my Vita for the last two years! Im so happy that the studio decided to port this over to the PS4 and Vita! First Day buy for me!

deadendblues said:

July 10th, 2:54 pm

Legendary!!! Thanks guys buying this preorder day one!

ClawOfTheFallen said:

July 10th, 2:57 pm

Yet another badassery fighting fest to add to my Fighter vita page. :3

RSevo09 said:

July 10th, 3:05 pm

I love me some skullgirls! Day 1 buy for me on Vita. I might even buy it for ps4 too just to support Lab Zero.

Maybe with the support they can release skullgirls 2 after all the dlc is done. Or even better make an expansion called ultra skullgirls encore hyper fighting edition turbo remix.

sorawild34 said:

July 10th, 3:13 pm

This is one of the games I truly miss after having to sell my PS3 to get a PS4 but with this and The Last of Us Remastered the whole in my heart has been filled :)

ossiecastro5 said:

July 10th, 3:18 pm

This was really fun to play on the PS3 and I look forward to it on the PS4.

AgentX said:

July 10th, 3:43 pm

This is an exciting announcement for me! I got hooked playing this on PS3 since it was offered through PlayStation Plus. I was hoping that a Vita version would be made someday, just so I could have the fighting action on a portable. I’m glad to hear that this is actually happening!

langdon said:

July 10th, 3:49 pm

Lab Zero keeps making all the right moves. Other developers should take note!

BlueBl1zzard said:

July 10th, 4:02 pm

Well, a promise is a promise. I don’t care the price, you guys now have a guaranteed purchase from me. Thanks SO much for bringing this to vita!

DOC_INCOGNITO said:

July 10th, 4:15 pm

YES!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! I’ve been wanting Skullgirls on my Vita for a very long time. This will look glorious on my OLED Vita.

Again, thank you so much, Lab Zero!

Sevyne said:

July 10th, 4:16 pm

I really couldn’t get all that into vanilla Skullgirls, but Encore really pulled me in. Will I be getting this on Vita? You bet your ass I am! It’s really turned itself around into a fantastic fighter, and I’d be a fool not to support it.

CrusaderForever said:

July 10th, 4:51 pm

YES! I am so sorry for not supporting your game on the PS3. I just lost track of it with all the other games I was playing. I will buy the D1 for the PS4! Also, you should change Eliza’s name to Anck-Su-Namun! The game looks great I cannot wait to finally play it.

SNORLAXex said:

July 10th, 4:55 pm

PS Vita?
Hell yeah! Portable Skullgirls is just what I needed.

MosesUnspoken said:

July 10th, 5:01 pm

My Vita sincerely thanks you.

Teflon02 said:

July 10th, 5:10 pm

Please say it’s cross buy with the PS3 version…

Tinye310 said:

July 10th, 5:22 pm

Man I’m so excited for this! Was just thinking how I want to play this on my Vita!

Elvick_ said:

July 10th, 5:55 pm

Will finally buy it on Vita, since I wanted it and asked for it and got it. Woo~

Thank you!

iXi_LAWM9STER said:

July 10th, 6:30 pm

I am hoping cross-buy game.

don_44d said:

July 10th, 6:36 pm

YUS!!! This is one of my favorite fighters. Only second to guilty gear. I just hope its crossbuy, although I am willing to buy this game an additional 2 times. I just wonder how much better itll look on ps4…

sharingan_2 said:

July 10th, 6:53 pm

If the DLC will be out for both PS3 and PS4 at the same time, I really don’t see a reason to re-buy this other than crossbuy if it even has that. Skullgirls isn’t the type of game that could’ve been drastically upgraded from the next-gen consoles, and handheld fighters with more than 6 buttons are generally unplayable.

Souledge94 said:

July 10th, 8:08 pm

Eh eliza does nothing for me. However beowulf and robo-fortune after all its a robot version of my favorite character. I hope people support this game as it deserves it.

NekoGenesis said: