PlayStation VR

Aug 05

Aug 05

Velocity 2X Launches on PS4, PS Vita September 2nd

James Marsden's Avatar Posted by Managing Director, FuturLab

Velocity 2X

Hi folks,

I’m just gonna put this out there: Velocity 2X is a game-of-the-year winner.

“WUT?!” “This?…no way” “…looks indie man”… “NO WAY!”…

Yes way. Now I’m gonna prove it. First up: wrap your face around our new trailer:

#LIKEABAUS
The first thing you’ll want to pay attention to: AWESOME BOSS FIGHTS!

Velocity 2X

Boss battles are high intensity action!

You can even fly your ship inside the bosses in order to destroy them from the inside out – on foot – brand new gameplay for the Velocity franchise. Also 360˚ shooting, tele-dashing through obstacles, throwing telepods and much more (we’ve hidden loads of never-before-seen footage in the trailer – go watch it again!)

Velocity 2X

Velocity 2X pushes the Vita hardware to achieve all these visual effects at 60fps.

Kicking ass as Lt. Kai Tana looks and feels amazing – especially if you remember games like Flashback and Turrican 2 in terms of art style and 360˚ running and gunning. The idea of shooting a boss in your ship, then flying inside it to melt its innards by hand was the thing that got us most excited when designing Velocity 2X!

Anyway, back to that bold statement…

Velocity 2X is a game-of-the-year winner.

Velocity 2X

Mood and atmosphere is given the utmost importance in Velocity 2X.

How can I be so sure? Think about what game-of-the-year means: best-in-class for audio, graphics, gameplay quality & production value.

When you get your hands on Velocity 2X, I know you’ll agree: with layers of depth and complexity of the gameplay features, the ambition is vast even compared to AAA titles. We have great teleporting, tele-dashing, scroll boost and telepods that all mesh together seamlessly. Also puzzles, platforming, gorgeous shmup-action, amazing boss fights and kick-ass gunplay!

Many of the really big games do one or two things really well, whereas Velocity 2X kicks ass at everything!

Oh and music. Joris de Man, that chap who won awards for his Killzone music? He’s going to win awards for this too:

Velocity 2X

Master the controls to create dazzling firework displays at breakneck speed!

We’re confident you’ll find that every aspect of Velocity 2X – including the art, visual effects, mechanics, controls, audio and user interface – has been refined many times to create a well-rounded and incredibly fun experience that can be enjoyed by anyone.

You’ll be able to get your hands on Velocity 2X on September 2nd, with the game supporting both cross-save AND cross-buy between PS4 and PS Vita!

Velocity 2X

As with Velocity Ultra, all levels are graded for time. You’ll need to practice to earn the PERFECT medals!

Please mark Velocity 2X’s release date in your calendar – it’s time to start getting hyped!

Thanks for reading!

Velocity 2X

You can catch us on Twitter @FuturLab
Read more about Velocity 2X here: http://www.velocitygame.co.uk
Read more about FuturLab here: http://www.futurlab.co.uk

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2
James Marsden's Avatar

James Marsden said:

August 5th, 7:05 am

Hi folks, I’m here ready for your questions =)

endustry94 said:

August 5th, 7:07 am

Cool! Looking forward to the release. Thanks for the cross-buy! I love the Vita!

janusfilmsfan said:

August 5th, 7:08 am

Looks fantastic. Any idea on price range?

James Marsden's Avatar

James Marsden said:

August 5th, 7:10 am

Hey, we’re still working that out. Given what you’ve seen, what would you like to pay? :)

brunofm said:

August 5th, 7:10 am

Hey James, can’t remember seeing this anywhere: will there be unlockable extra missions and play modes, like in Velocity Ultra?

socksandshoes22 said:

August 5th, 7:10 am

I can understand doing a PS3 and Vita release, or a PS3/Vita/PS4 release, but I guess I got to get used to PS4/Vita only for the future. No plans for PS3?

snakeeyes211 said:

August 5th, 7:11 am

Can you share with us the price point of the game so I can start saving up and it does come with a platinum trophy right

James Marsden's Avatar

James Marsden said:

August 5th, 7:15 am

We’re still working that out. What would you like to pay for it?

MarshMarlou said:

August 5th, 7:12 am

Oh man this looks really cool!! I regret not checking out the first game when it was on sale many times in the PS STORE!!

Winterwolf2010 said:

August 5th, 7:13 am

This looks extremely fun. Right up my alley. Loving the multiple play styles, and the art style looks awesome as well. Great looking game guys. I do believe its a definite buy for me. :D

janusfilmsfan said:

August 5th, 7:15 am

Anything under 20 bucks seems reasonable for cross buy and cross save with vita and PS4. Any more though… Anyway, can’t wait!

ghandali said:

August 5th, 7:16 am

Yes!!! I’ve been anticipating this game for months now, and it finally has a release date!!! Not to mention the release that it is September 2nd, the same day as my birthday!!! So i know for a fact Ill be getting this day one, and not just cause its my birthday.

Anyways is there any possibility that there will be a discount for plus members? Also about how long does the campaign take??

James Marsden's Avatar

James Marsden said:

August 5th, 7:17 am

On your birthday, excellent =)

I’m sure it won’t disappoint!

MichaelVash7886 said:

August 5th, 7:16 am

I’ll update the info thread tonight with this information. Can’t link it as I am on my phone and don’t think it will let me.

I will have to climb to the top of the leader board while I can.

JuggleMan said:

August 5th, 7:18 am

Awesome! Can’t wait! I loved the first one so much! Easily one of my favorite platinums!

PiotrRasputinBR said:

August 5th, 7:19 am

BOUGHT!! On the price range subject, I think anything between $15 and $25 works, being $10 surprisingly cheap and $20 about the price I use to see similar games.

Anyway, I never made a game, so it’s a bit hard to put a price on other people’s work. Specially when it is looking this amazing. Can’t wait to add this platinum to my trophy list!!

snakeeyes211 said:

August 5th, 7:19 am

Whatever you think is fair would be alright with me :-)
I really enjoyed the last one and I know I’m really going to enjoy part two

nabilafzali02 said:

August 5th, 7:20 am

It’s coming the first week of September….will it be one of the ps plus games?? ;)

Mayoubaz2 said:

August 5th, 7:20 am

I like it before on velocity ultra now velocity 2X is better I’m waiting for it

Punk1984 said:

August 5th, 7:21 am

After how much fun I had with Velocity I would say anything from $10 – $20 is a instant buy for me. You guys make awesome games. High fives all around!

martinirage1 said:

August 5th, 7:25 am

I’m digging the soundtrack so far. I think the mix of flight and on foot gameplay will make the game fresh and interesting. Looking forward to it.

gageaz said:

August 5th, 7:26 am

how difficult will 2X’s plat be compared to ultra’s? ultra’s wasn’t very hard outside of having to learn minesweeper for the first time but now i’m worried these sidescroller sections will trip me up

James Marsden's Avatar

James Marsden said:

August 5th, 7:33 am

The platinum will be more about skill than grinding.

BAEZE_L said:

August 5th, 7:27 am

That’s Great! But What About A Game For The Players Who DON’T Have ADHD?

maxcoronel2014 said:

August 5th, 7:31 am

It certainly looks great. Being part of the IGC for September would be a dream. Any chance of this happening?

ZeoKhalid said:

August 5th, 7:32 am

Awesome, I’ll get this day one :D

Zionine said:

August 5th, 7:33 am

Looks like a great game to play while waiting for Destiny Matchmaking/Loading screens. ;) No offense meant, just being honest with how I’ll be using my time wisely. Haha.

James Marsden's Avatar

James Marsden said:

August 5th, 7:36 am

Of course man. Pop it open for a little blast while you’re waiting for Destiny to load. And then get woken up by your friend because you slept in your clothes with your fingers wrapped into a claw ;)

SlyCooperFan100 said:

August 5th, 7:42 am

I have to agree with the others that this should be priced in the $10 – $15 range. Absolutely acceptable at $15. I cannot wait, this is going to be a must-buy as soon as I can! Thank you for all of your hard work!

KidGreengene said:

August 5th, 7:44 am

Just one question… How nice was it to be brought back for the last X-Men movie, Days of Future Past?

James Marsden's Avatar

James Marsden said:

August 5th, 7:49 am

Man, that guy totally stole my thunder :)

cadbane1995 said:

August 5th, 7:45 am

i absolutely loved Velocity Ultra and i’m excited for Velocity 2X! since it does indeed release on Sept 2nd, here’s an interesting question: is it going to be free for PS Plus? i would absolutely love that to happen :D

GarckaMan said:

August 5th, 7:50 am

I must say, I’m incredible hyped for this. Loved every second of the trailer. Loved the music (been listening to Flight Computer for hours) and the platform segments that looks like the hyperactive love child between Megaman and Abuse.
I question, if I may ask:
Is there any difference between PS4 and Vita version? Does the Vita version use the touch screen?

Day 1 Vita buy for me, by the way.

James Marsden's Avatar

James Marsden said:

August 5th, 7:56 am

Hey, Vita version uses touch screen, PS4 version uses DS4 touch pad.

There are some extremely minor differences between PS4 and Vita. Hussain our Tech Director (@shakemayster) will be posting tech behind-the-scenes articles over the next few weeks.

OuterSpaceJunky said:

August 5th, 7:50 am

I feel a tad guilty saying that I own Velocity Ultra but still have not played it.

2X looks fantastic. I love the art style—kudos for using a female protagonist. People get excited for cross-buy, but to me, it’s useless without cross-save, so thanks for including that.

I look forward to buying this at or shortly after release.

crsn891 said:

August 5th, 7:50 am

Wow the music is fantastic!

the_FREELANCER said:

August 5th, 7:51 am

Soundtrack release too?

XtemmA2 said:

August 5th, 7:51 am

Hellooo James! Thumb Respect!
That is all.

KidGreengene said:

August 5th, 7:57 am

From the trailer; the certificate I get for my badassery… would that be from a internationally recognized institute?

James Marsden's Avatar

James Marsden said:

August 5th, 7:59 am

Intergalactic sir, intergalactic.

KazeEternal said:

August 5th, 8:03 am

*squeals like a little otaku fan girl* shutup I’m still manly. I can’t wait to get this game.

@20 I have ADHD, I kind of find that offensive and feel like you have a complete lack of understanding of what it means to have ADHD

Enforcer_X said:

August 5th, 8:11 am

The first one was EPIC! I didn’t think it could be topped but this one with flying inside bosses and cross-save and cross-buy is going to be even more EPIC intergalactic ass kicking badassery looks to have done it! Day 1 game and soundtrack, just hope I can find the soundtrack in FLAC with high res album art easier than the last one!

Can’t wait!

bstie1198 said:

August 5th, 8:12 am

Due to an backlog of 208 games even before this month’s free PS+ games come out this afternoon, I don’t buy games at full price. Assuming there is no PS+ discount at release, this will be the one exception this year. It’s definitely my most anticipated game this year.

Demonic_Clown said:

August 5th, 8:15 am

Kinda like Strider but with guns and different art style, looks cool. Is there going to be a demo?

MrBeens said:

August 5th, 8:17 am

That’s a lot of exclamation points!

x-Kicks-x said:

August 5th, 8:18 am

If this comes in with a $14.99/$12.99PS+ pricepoint, it’ll be purchased as soon as it shows up on the store :)
It will go nicely with all of the other Vita games you’ve released. :)

Time to make a folder just for Futurlab games :)

KazeEternal said:

August 5th, 8:20 am

Also continue to love Joris de Man’s work :-D Can’t wait to hear the full soundtrack.

James Marsden's Avatar

James Marsden said:

August 5th, 8:31 am

Google the soundtrack ;)

n1ck0le17 said:

August 5th, 8:23 am

This game looks amazing!! Random question: about how much gameplay are you playing as the ship/character? Is about an even amount or are they interchangeable throughout the same sequence? :)

Hefestus91 said:

August 5th, 8:31 am

Day 1 purchase for me!!
Do you guys know if we might get a day 1 discount with plus?

Elvick_ said:

August 5th, 8:36 am

First game is great, still need to beat it… definitely can’t manage the platinum. Dx

TomHoang said:

August 5th, 8:38 am

Can’t wait! Velocity Ultra is one of my proudest platinums. I got the original Velocity and Ultra free from Plus and I would love to pay for it and support FuturLab. However, the date of this game is Sept 2, which is a huge possibility that it might be a free PS4 game in September. Either way, so exicted for this!

TrueRadiantFree said:

August 5th, 8:42 am

Will there be a retail version?, cause this awesome looking game is crying out for one!1!!!????????1!1!11 Loved the first one, and I would so buy a physical copy of this.

Ricen-Beans said:

August 5th, 8:43 am

$14.99 or less. Or throw in a PS+ discount for good measure.

That would make it an instant success. Day one for me regardless.

Zionine said:

August 5th, 8:49 am

14.99 -19.99 with PS Plus discount. :)

And I’ll definitely be icing my hands– I know how tough it was to get Ultra’s platinum. Oh-so rewarding, though.

akaJoeTea said:

August 5th, 8:54 am

Based on all the info available here, this title should be at $9.99, for the end user.

prosperoust said:

August 5th, 8:55 am

September 2nd is the first Tuesday of the month – any chance this will be part of the Instant Game Collection for PS+?

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

August 5th, 8:58 am

Day one for me. For a game this fun I’ll pay $20. First week of September? I’ll be sure to have money in my PSN wallet.

Bad_Brains said:

August 5th, 8:59 am

Oh my. First time seeing this. Color me interested! Gotta agree with the others on price range, Destiny is around the corner from this release so if you don’t over price it I’m all over it. $15 would be great.

PAGE 1 2