Knack 2

Aug 25

Aug 25

Don’t Starve: Giant Edition Coming to PS Vita September 2nd

Jamie Cheng's Avatar Posted by Co-Founder, Klei

Don't Starve: Giant Edition PS Vita

Hey everyone! Jamie Cheng here, founder of Klei Entertainment. I’m happy to announce a few cool things: first is that Don’t Starve: Giant Edition is coming to PS Vita on September 2nd!

Here are some key details you’ll want to know:

1. The Giant Edition costs $14.99, and includes the Reign of Giants expansion. This expansion is usually $4.99, and we’ve bundled it in for everyone. It includes new characters, seasons, biomes, and other challenges that will happily kill you.
  2. Unfortunately, in order for us to get the game on Vita, we had to rewrite a bunch of backend code to optimize it. Because of this, the save games are not compatible with PS4, so there is no cross play.
  3. BUT! We love you all, so we’re making the game cross buy! If you own Don’t Starve on PS4, you get the Vita version for free, and vice versa. Thank you for supporting our game, and please spread the word so we can keep making more interesting games!

Don't Starve: Giant Edition PS VitaDon't Starve: Giant Edition PS Vita

In case you missed it from our previous post, here are the key features of the Reign of Giants expansion that is included in this package:

Reign of Giants Key Features

• New playable characters: Reign of Giants adds two characters for players to discover and survive with. Play as Wigfrid, a stage actress who went a bit too far with method acting on her latest role, an ancient Valkyrie, or Webber, a young boy who lives inside the spider who tried to eat him long ago.
  • Year-round starvation: Struggle through a full year of seasons as you experience the torrential rain falls of spring and the blistering heat of summer.
  • A bigger, badder world: New biomes have been filled to the brim with new creatures and gatherables that will either help you survive — or kill you.
  • An extra save slot: You asked, we delivered.
  • Giants: They’re in the name, for crying out loud!

And that’s all folks! See you on September 2nd. If you’ve got any questions or just want to say hi, you can find us on Twitter at @Klei. As usual, we’re always around and happy to chat. Don’t Starve is what it is thanks to the amazing community and discussions. Thanks for all the feedback and support!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

xClayMeow said:

August 25th, 10:22 am

FINALLY!!!!! I’ve been waiting for Don’t Starve on Vita! I have it on PC, but being able to take it on the go is going to be awesome!

Quick Question: I got the PS4 version via IGC, but since I don’t own a PS4, I never bothered to purchase the expansion pack. Will I have to purchase the expansion pack in order to get the game “free” on Vita, or is owning the base game good enough? It sounds like it’s the latter (which is AWESOME!), but just wanted it clarified.

Woohoo!

PS. It’s really a shame that MS published MotN because that would have been perfect on the Vita too. But maybe after Invisible, Inc. you’ll work on sequel for all platforms? :D

CapJSheridan said:

August 25th, 10:23 am

Thanks man, that was more than we deserved it, this is one game we shouldn’t be getting for free.

Throw in some paid DLC on Vita later and we’ll buy it to show support =)

Archymedius said:

August 25th, 10:23 am

What is the status on multiplayer?

thebledkid22 said:

August 25th, 10:24 am

Very cool. I love this game on PS4 and now I can take it on the go. Thanks Klei

iREVOLTER said:

August 25th, 10:24 am

Guys at Klei you are really awesome! Thx for Cross-Buy.

sedateinfect said:

August 25th, 10:26 am

Does it have a separate trophy list or shared?

gabriel-lisboa83 said:

August 25th, 10:28 am

I want AAA games for my PS Vita, not Indies!!!

jiisama_ said:

August 25th, 10:31 am

Sold! I’ve been waiting for this. Everything is better on vita.

todd567 said:

August 25th, 10:31 am

think u god i knew this game would be on vita i been remote playing it on the ps4 to vita its so much better. now whats the word on the copp dlc?

xClayMeow said:

August 25th, 10:31 am

@Archymedius (3), multiplayer is set to arrive on PC first (and a demo will be playable at PAX this wkd). It has never been officially confirmed as coming to PS4/PSV, and likely won’t even be a thought until after the PC version is released.

JamesBlonde777 said:

August 25th, 10:36 am

“If you own Don’t Starve on PS4, you get the Vita version for free, and vice versa.”

So even if we only own the PS4 version that came through PS+ (and not the expansion), we get to play this on the Vita? Cool!

Trendy_Kid said:

August 25th, 10:45 am

OMG, so many Vita games in Q3!! My poor backlog…

CapJSheridan said:

August 25th, 10:45 am

@11 even if we had to buy the Giants expansion for or PS Plus versions, $4,99 it would still be an awesome deal

Trendy_Kid said:

August 25th, 10:46 am

@ 11 I am pretty sure he’s saying the Vita version is free with the PS4 purchase of the Giant Edition.

SaberX85 said:

August 25th, 10:49 am

So if i only have the vanilla game from PS+ can i get the ps vita version for free? or do i have to buy the DLC reign of giants? thanks

PSN_Tokeio said:

August 25th, 10:52 am

I’m very grateful that Klei is offering the game as Cross Buy. However, I WANT TO PAY KLEI MONEY! How do I pay for the base game? I bought the expansion but I feel I need to pay for the base game too. I want to support Klei for being awesome and making Don’t Starve a reality on my favorite handheld platform.

wBENDERw said:

August 25th, 11:04 am

wow this is amazing

so fast

Hefestus91 said:

August 25th, 11:05 am

Now I will seriously consider playing this on my vita, looks cool.

AlmightyMax said:

August 25th, 11:07 am

Stop it, you guys, you’re way too good to us.

I think having this on handheld will be the perfect way for me to finally get into it.

Keep being awesome! I’ll see you later this week at PAX!

redthehaze said:

August 25th, 11:08 am

I think you meant “cross-save” for number 2. Cross save is for being able to switch platforms with the save while cross play is playing WITH another platform.

WICKED_CARN1 said:

August 25th, 11:22 am

Flipping Sweet!

TinCannEd said:

August 25th, 11:26 am

OMG! I saw this & was, “I will DEFINITELY buy this for the Vita, and I really liked it on the PS4(Free on PS+)”.

Then I see you say it will be Cross-Buy, I actually said, “NOOOO!!!!”, because I wanted to support you as a Developer.

I can’t do that if you keep giving me your “Product” for free!!! This should been made a “Cross-discount, not Cross-Buy if you wanted to do something,

notoptimus said:

August 25th, 11:29 am

@7 More indies does not mean less AAA. If there’s a shortage of AAA it’s an unrelated problem. Go bug the AAA developers.

wBENDERw said:

August 25th, 11:33 am

I still have this for PS+

I sincerely hope you make me spend some money for your game finally

i’ll gladly shell out the 18 dollars (CAD) for cross buy as long as Klei gets my money.

Macello said:

August 25th, 11:36 am

@6 Klei wouldn’t even have trophies in the game, if they could. They are very anti-trophy hunter.

Se7en0ps said:

August 25th, 11:39 am

Thanks for the awesome games, Jamie Cheng & company. I’m still hoping that someday, Mark of the Ninja will be released on a Playstation platform (pretty please?). ◕ ‿ ◕

tusunami said:

August 25th, 11:55 am

Wow so now I can play this on my PS Vita which will be good since I have a 64 gb memory stick. Ithave yet to play this game which from my friends that say it was a blast to play.

tamagoyorokobi said:

August 25th, 11:59 am

Thanks for bringing the game to the Vita, Klei! I missed it on the PS4 with it was free with PS+ (I have it for PC now), but I’ll happily buy it for Vita now that I know it’ll be cross-buy.

MapleStory said:

August 25th, 12:19 pm

@27: Woo, 64gb master race! ;D

Really looking forward to this, Vita seriously needs more love!

iXi_LAWM9STER said:

August 25th, 12:36 pm

I love how this game is a cross-buy all indies should do this NOW!

Amir_G_M_US said:

August 25th, 1:03 pm

I don’t understand why we do not get SONY-made games…
I like the indies. Yet, I love the AAA…. Sony shows no interest in the Vita.. shame..
I want more Gravity Rush, Uncharted, God of War… not tetris like games

Seriously… if you’re not going to make new games, at least localize the GREAT Japanese titles! not just Freedom wars
Phantasy Star Online 2 – an MMO which the VITA DEMANDS!!!!
Phantasy Star Nova
SONY MUST FIGHT FOR FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 TO GO VITA!!!!!!!

Enable ALL PSOne and PSP games to directly download on Vita.

that’s a shame… come on

scoobots said:

August 25th, 3:04 pm

Great game. Quit complaining about this not being AAA. This is a well made, deep game. And damn hard. Reign of Giants is a bit too hard, actually. Vita will finally get some attention from me.

honkayjeezus said:

August 25th, 3:36 pm

Are you saying the game with PS Plus on PS4 means you have the cross buy?

LordAbsu said:

August 25th, 3:59 pm

Good deal! Thanks for making it cross-buy! I will most definitely show my support and buy it!

Hakumen__ said:

August 25th, 4:18 pm

Thank you very much!

I had tried to remote play this game with little success, so I’m grateful for a native PS Vita version.

vstarwow said:

August 25th, 4:36 pm

Please do not add this game to IGC September.

“…and despair!”
Use the Accomploshrine 725 times

so frustrating

VictorVDoom83 said:

August 25th, 4:52 pm

This made my day!

nadekill22 said:

August 25th, 5:02 pm

Klei you rock! I love you guys! You’re my favorite developers and I love all of your games, and when you pull amazing stuff like having this be cross play is what makes you really amazing! Thank you!

Animebookworm said:

August 25th, 7:22 pm

Will the mods from the pc version be available for the ps vita?

mcfizzle said:

August 25th, 8:05 pm

Add me to list of people who were looking forward to buying Don’t Starve on Vita and kind of disappointed in cross buy. We received the game through PS+ and purchased Reign of Giants. Between the base game and and RoG we have well over 150 hours between us, all for $4.50. We feel like we’ve stolen from Klei Entertainment. :(

We love Don’t Starve and can’t wait to play on Vita. Hopefully Don’t Starve: Together will make it’s way to PS4 as well, maybe with couch co-op. Keep up the great work.

MoonageDeath said:

August 25th, 10:13 pm

Thank you for making this cross buy. I will support all your future games. On a similar note I might have to get a 32gb card kinda wish it didn’t cost so much…

HarmonyKorine said:

August 26th, 1:13 am

Thanks for this. I’ll be playing with my Vita, for sure. If this isn’t cross buy with the Plus PS4 version, you can count on me purchasing the expanded version for sure.

Jewbot9000 said:

August 26th, 2:16 am

Totally fell in love with this game when we got it in the IGC. Bought it on PC, along with RoG, and was planning on buying it again on Vita, so thank you very much! Can’t wait for the multiplayer. Hope it comes to PS4 and Vita as well.

tracebustin said:

August 26th, 3:56 am

Cross buy? You guys are too good to us! When my wife saw me playing this she said it was a game that she might enjoy playing, so I bought it on PC. Between the two of us, we’ve put in over 250 hours of play time, and now you can count on even more since I’ll be able to play it on the go. Just in time for flying back for my brother’s wedding!

Anndrej said:

August 26th, 4:26 am

<3 <3 <3 KLEI <3 <3 <3

Lokidies said:

August 26th, 9:58 am

I’ll have to make sure I don’t spend all the money on my vita if this week’s update has a good sale.

Griff001 said:

August 26th, 12:43 pm

My son and I are excited. Now we don’t have to take turns. Next we are looking forward to Don’t starve together

Dezmixbe said:

August 26th, 4:36 pm

You guys are crazy! But in a good way. :3

Thank you for so much for developing for the Vita. I’ll likely stick with the PS4 version since to play this game I need to be in the zone and like to be able to see more on a bigger screen (plus there’s always Remote Play), but having a portable option is gonna be killer for those long trips.

…. AND on top of that, you’re giving us Cross buy? I don’t even…

The next game KLEI makes will be a Day 1 purchase for me for sure.

micahmau5 said:

August 28th, 4:58 am

How much space will it take to download. im so damned excited c:

ROADKILL_101 said:

August 31st, 8:11 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS GAME. Thank you SO much for working hard on this port to bring it to the bad as* Vita!! THANK YOU!!

PAGE 1 2