Knack 2

Sep 04

Sep 04

Run SackBoy! Run! Coming to PS Vita, Mobile Devices

Tom O'Connor's Avatar Posted by Senior Producer, Sony XDev Europe

Run Sackboy! Run!

Hello, PlayStation.Blog! I’m Tom O’Connor, Senior Producer in the LittleBigPlanet Production team at Sony XDev Europe.

As well as putting the finishing touches to LittleBigPlanet 3 on PS4 and PS3, we have also been busy working on a brand new handcrafted (and handheld) mini-adventure. Run Sackboy! Run! is a free-to-play, platform-survival game built exclusively for PS Vita and mobile devices, in which you can earn exclusive costumes for LBP3.

Run Sackboy! Run!

The Negativitron (that big nasty vacuum cleaner who sucks up all the creativity) is back, wreaking havoc on Craftworld and nipping at the heels of our very own Sackboy! Using simple tap and swipe gestures, you’ll speed through three iconic worlds from the LittleBigPlanet series — The Gardens, The Canyons, and Avalonia — evading danger for as long you can. Anyone can enjoy the game, but as Sackboy charges along at top speed, you’re going to need super-quick reactions to keep him on course and out of trouble.

Run Sackboy! Run!

Run Sackboy! Run!Run Sackboy! Run!

Collect as many bubbles as you can as you speed through Craftworld, and then use your bubbles to buy special costumes and upgrades. Each of the costumes in the game have built in score multipliers, meaning you don’t only look snazzy but you can get higher scores too. You can challenge your friends using the game’s built-in social feature and scoreboards. There’s loads of power-ups too, including a Jet Pack, Shield, and Magnet, plus my personal favorite: the Glider. You also have a mission ladder system, meaning there are always new objectives and challenges each time you play.

Run Sackboy! Run!

There are tons of stickers to collect too, and an in-game Sticker Book to keep them all nice and tidy. As you complete collections of stickers you will unlock special rewards. You will not want to miss out on the exclusive costumes for LittleBigPlanet 3 which you will be able to gad about in when the game is released later this year on PS4 and PS3.

The game is scheduled for release in October this year, and will be available on PS Vita, iOS, and Android. We can’t wait to tell you more about the game soon.

Add Your Own

Gorvi said:

September 4th, 7:12 am

Great idea, I know my kids will love this. I’m sure I’ll play it a bit too, of course. So is it an endless runner (like Canabalt or Jetpack Joyride) or is it a level based auto runner (like Bit.Trip Runner)?

T3DV0L70L1N4 said:

September 4th, 7:12 am

Cool, sounds like it could be really fun!

Since the game is F2P, does that mean there will be micro-transactions preventing significant progress in the game? Or is this intended to be a legitimately fun and free companion / hype game to get us ready for LBP3?

ivanhot9 said:

September 4th, 7:15 am

This looks interesting.

xClayMeow said:

September 4th, 7:16 am

LBP3 should be coming to Vita, not an endless runner.

That’s not Vita love.

DeviantBoi said:

September 4th, 7:23 am

Is it coming to the app stores worldwide or just the US? If I remember correctly, the Ratchet & Clank iOS game was restricted to the US app store.

bball230 said:

September 4th, 7:23 am

This is great to see :) I’m also happy Sony decided to make it availble on the PSVita instead of JUST Mobile device.. Like Knacks Quest never came to vita .. i dont think.

But this is good. Props

Oo_MrBubbles_oO said:

September 4th, 7:29 am

It would be nice to start seeing more support for windows phones :? guess ill be playing it on my vita

Nightwing0613 said:

September 4th, 7:40 am

Will the stickers also be transferable or only the costumes?

tylerh1701 said:

September 4th, 7:43 am

Will the Vita version have trophies? Or will it be a PS Mobile game?

oversevethousand said:

September 4th, 7:48 am

Let it never be said that MediaMolecule cares about the Vita.

oversevethousand said:

September 4th, 7:48 am

@2
I see a “shop” screenshot already, but I bet it probably just uses the already existing LBP DLC.

iREVOLTER said:

September 4th, 7:53 am

So a mobile LBP to Vita. LoL!

zip_czdz said:

September 4th, 7:54 am

Best game ever, GOTY for Vita! Thank you SONY!
I’m waiting for New 3DS…

jahonius80 said:

September 4th, 7:59 am

I think releasing a Sony IP on mobile devices is a brilliant idea. People who have never heard of PlayStation (surprisingly, plenty) might be interested after playing this.

vongruetz said:

September 4th, 8:13 am

Trophies? Yes or no?

And I think it’s great that Sony is doing mobile and Vita. Just wish Knack’s Quest had also come to the Vita.

Crazy-Maisy said:

September 4th, 8:36 am

Great idea to bring LBP to a broader audience, only a mini-game is OK. It’d feel bad if it was a full game out there.

Glad PS Vita gets this, not just mobile. Looking forward to the goodies! No bragging though, since I, as well as others, don’t use FB ….

The_Bee96 said:

September 4th, 8:52 am

Seems like a perfect game for my baby sister! She loves to snatch my Vita outta my hand whenever I’m playing with it, so at least now I’ll have something more her speed

FE_RR said:

September 4th, 8:52 am

how do you think it will run on xperia L?

agentcyclone42 said:

September 4th, 8:53 am

OMG! THIS IS AWSOMESAUSE, AWSOMESAUES, AWSOMESAUSE! I CANT WAIT!

Rezolution77 said:

September 4th, 9:12 am

Great for phone user’s.

Not something something wanted on my Vita with joysticks.

Elvick_ said:

September 4th, 9:25 am

Thanks for including Vita, if only other Sony companion apps were on Vita…

Please add button controls though. Jetpack Joyride let’s us use buttons. Touch is fine as an option, but being forced to only use touch sucks.

Elvick_ said:

September 4th, 9:27 am

@4: why? We have LBP Vita, and it’s great. And uglier than LBP on PS3. I have doubts that Vita could even support LBP3 with all the layers going on.

Ken101Ethan said:

September 4th, 9:37 am

Hey, i guess free games never hurt.

Even if it’s a F2P one, it could help pass a few seconds on the toilet.

GattsuWolf said:

September 4th, 10:22 am

I don’t care if it’s a F2P game… If they’re supporting the vita it’s always a good game that prevents idiots to say “the vita is dead” or “the vita doesn’t have games”. Besides, it looks pretty fun and since it’s a LBP game it will make the vita more popular and that’s more than enough for me :) thank you sony! :)

plaztiksyke said:

September 4th, 10:52 am

interesting resolution on the screenshots… what platform is 1136×640?

since this is a 3D rendered game, I hope it takes advantage of the great CPU/GPU in the iPad Air and iPhone 5S. some other tie-in games go a little too far to satisfy older devices and end up looking/playing in a way that gave me a bad impression of the game they were tying into.

we enjoyed the Knack’s Quest game (probably more than we should have), so it’s cool to see another tie-in for other platforms.

still disappointed we never got Knack’s Quest on Vita, though. (or any post-release updates to Knack, for that matter..)

it would be cool for there to be a Kutaro mobile game to tie in with the PS4 version of Puppeteer. loved that game on PS3!

RoD_GX said:

September 4th, 10:54 am

What kind of announcement is this, Tom? Why is xdev dragging this kind of game to the Vita? A Runner? Seriously? Is this kind of crap you guys are looking at to justify why somebody should go out and buy a Vita? Coz it wouldn’t work. Any sub-$100 would get this crap running on a basic smartphone, so I’d go for that instead of a $295 PS Vita (not to mention the memory card).

Tom quite frankly, are you proud of this announcement? Because I’m taking it as an insult.
The so-called ‘Vita promise’ to run a console-like game on the go has been thrown away, and now we get the mobile garbage with in-app purchases. If you’re feeling ‘proud’ of this game, then you’re only fooling yourself, not me.

You see, the Vita audience is MUCH different than the brainless mobile one. We demand a game with background history, we’re talking about a game to play for HOURS without getting tired of it, not this 15-minutes piece-of-CRAP you’re coming up with. Honestly, I’d be glad if you just kept this kind of game AWAY from the Vita.

ManjoumeThunder said:

September 4th, 10:56 am

Can’t wait…but when is that Fat Princess game coming to Android?

Knucklerider said:

September 4th, 11:10 am

You sure can’t beat the price! I don’t play games on my phone but I think thats about to change.
Thanks for letting us know about this Tom and if you need any beta testers for this new APP feel free to send a PM my way. I would love to help out!

pitolyo said:

September 4th, 11:35 am

Thank you so much for having it come to psvita

Will the costumes work on any other lbp games or are they only for lbp3?

ManjoumeThunder said:

September 4th, 11:45 am

Oops, Android Fat Princess is out.

Solid_Duff said:

September 4th, 11:47 am

You guys sold me at “Run Sackboy Run”

Welmosca said:

September 4th, 12:11 pm

This looks great….something to make up for that crap LBP3.So its kinda like Jetpack Joyride hu?….that game is fantastic,pure fun….oh I can’t wait to try this out…looks addicting and btw I want those costumes for LBP2…come on.

@10 oversevethousand – Mm doesn’t make LBP anymore….why do you think LBP turned into crap and we got LBP3?

RE4LNOiZE_42 said:

September 4th, 12:34 pm

“Man, that sounds awesome!” is the thing I would’ve said… in 2010.

No seriously, it looks nice, but I’m kind of tired of endless runners. Unless they bring a really new and innovative twist to the table. So let’s see how this one turns out… but to say I’m excited for this would be kind of dishonest. I’m curious though.

Satnamji said:

September 4th, 1:08 pm

I love LBP and am excited to see any kind of LBP content come to the Vita. But I worry that an F2P runner means, “pay (and pay and pay) if you want to play/continue for more than 60 seconds.” I’d rather pay a flat fee ($5-$10) to get the whole game without restrictions, than an opportunity to continually dole out a bunch of extra $$ if I have any hope of appearing on the leaderboards, or worse, unlocking all the trophies in the game.

PeroneyB said:

September 4th, 1:08 pm

Nothing wrong with this, so lay off the hate people. Get this game and get the exclusive costumes for LBP3. I personally cannot wait to get that football costume.

Not gonna lie, that unicorn/centaur costume is going to give me nightmares.

CatatonicAlex said:

September 4th, 3:22 pm

I was hoping this would’ve news about new DLC for the Vita version. Bit of a let down. Not going to lie. Need more LBPVita levels.

Imputed7-14 said:

September 4th, 4:03 pm

Looks like fun. More LBP is a good thing. Will load it on my Vita day 1.

spacemonkeyham said:

September 4th, 4:59 pm

No Franke Potente costume? DE-NIED!

nirojan45 said:

September 4th, 7:36 pm

Well other have asked, but I must echo;

Will there be trophies for the Vita version?

DarkStar83x said:

September 4th, 7:41 pm

Hmm…

PrimeroIncognito said:

September 4th, 9:38 pm

@ RoD_GX

Look at you… all arrogant and demanding…

If you want to see a specific type of game so bad, make it yourself.

@ Rez

Then don’t buy it, genius. Oh, but, I bet you think we all should think just like you, right?

By the way, there’s no apostrophe in “users”. You use punctuation marks incorrectly quite often, I’ve noticed. Maybe a trip back through Elementary School would help with correcting that. Maybe.

xoxoag said:

September 5th, 1:51 am

If the game could be integrated, that’ll be another plus. But don’t force us to have have all the platforms. Just make it as a reward or kind of facilities to make us play easier

DelicaGunz said:

September 5th, 11:08 am

I am so pumped for this!!

ps_psychedelic said:

September 5th, 6:36 pm

Good good.

guitarded77 said:

September 5th, 11:26 pm

Free game app that unlocks in game content. Now that’s a great marketing idea. Do more of this Sony.

DarkOne_PR said:

September 7th, 2:21 am

so let me get this straight…. u just made a game that it should be exclusive to the vita for Mobile which its the one one thing killing the vita? (apart of SONYs little interest in giving us the games we want on it) GENIUS! meme right here…

Spyroluver88 said:

September 8th, 3:12 pm

Is it October, yet? I can’t wait! Can I use my Ellie costume?