Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Nov 19

Nov 19

Wander: A Non-combat MMO Coming to PS4

Crystal Flinn's Avatar Posted by Writer & Character Designer, Wander

Wander on PS4

Hello, everyone! This is Crystal from Wander, here to tell you a little bit about ourselves and what we’re doing way down here on the bottom of the Earth (AKA Australia).

Wander is the brainchild of Melbourne resident Loki Davison, who noticed a shocking absence of games that didn’t primarily focus on violence in order to tell a story, and decided there was a niche that desperately needed to be filled. That — coupled with a slight preoccupation with flight, travelling, and music — led to the conception of Wander, an MMO game that lets you explore a majestic environment in several different forms – a giant tree, a soaring griffin, a sea creature and more.

“I was somewhat of a nomad for a long time. I wandered around Central Asia, Siberia, the Arctic and Himalayas. Growing up I played a lot of MUDs (text based MMO games) and wanted to make a game that was atmospheric, relaxing and multiplayer. Wander draws on a lot of that experience. I wanted to collaboratively explore in a game.” – Loki

Wander on PS4

Wander on PS4Wander on PS4

Wander on PS4

You start off deep in a forest you can’t remember, occupying a form you don’t recognize. Clues can be found by examining your surroundings, and you may even encounter others like yourself who can help you and share information. During your journey you may also hear the mysterious, siren-like tones of opera singers, and following these songs will lead you to even more exciting discoveries, like the ability to change your shape and acquire new ways of exploring the world.

Playable characters in Wander include the Oren – a walking, sentient tree, and the form you occupy at the beginning of the game; the griffin – with the power of flight; the azertash – with the ability to swim and breathe underwater; and the swift and agile hira. Each of these forms has several unique and gorgeous variants, all with their own cultures, backstories, and specific ways of interacting with other forms and tribes. Along your way you’ll discover lorestones, mysterious records that teach you bits of the history of the planet and its inhabitants. Eventually, if you’re lucky, you might even learn the ultimate secrets of this mysterious and beautiful world.

You’ll be able to try out Wander at PlayStation Experience, next month in Las Vegas. We’re very excited about our first visit to Vegas, where we’ll be showing off some great new content. We’ve got a new weather system in, with storms and wind (things get wet when it rains… we’re really happy about that) and lots of new narrative and cultures. We’re hoping to be ready to show off some of the Azertash underwater city as well.

Wander is set to be released in March 2015, but before that you can catch us on our Twitch channel for a very special series that will showcase live gameplay with an original story featuring a vibrant cast of characters, just to give players a little taste of the narrative and role-playing potential of Wander. We’re pretty excited — and a little scared — to be the first ever live drama broadcast on Twitch! The first episode will be live tonight at 4pm PST.

Add Your Own

Qu3st39 said:

November 19th, 6:05 am

Interesting concept, looking forward to more details.

nanaki85 said:

November 19th, 6:11 am

This looks amazing! I was already excited about ps4’s ‘WiLD’ I’ll have to get this too. :)

Luke333 said:

November 19th, 6:33 am

Looks like my kind of game. Hope to learn more about it. Sometimes my favorite part in a game is just exploreing and finding something new and be rewarded for exploring.

yowzagabowza said:

November 19th, 6:39 am

So you basically just walk around and find things? Not really my ideal genre. Good luck, though.

paulogy said:

November 19th, 6:44 am

Wow, between this, The Witness, Everyone’s Gone to the Rapture, RiME, and No Man’s Sky I know where to go for my story/exploration-game fix :-)

US_ARMY said:

November 19th, 6:50 am

Great looking game. We do need more games like this.

KidGreengene said:

November 19th, 6:55 am

I like the idea! Not enough games that rely on the telling of the story. I am very curious. When I think MMO, I think resource gathering and character customization in addition to it being a populated world but not much in the form of a story, just lots of little missions. So this is actually a progressing story? There is a beginning and an end to the tale?

Crystal Flinn's Avatar

Crystal Flinn said:

November 20th, 3:59 am

There definitely is a story! A big part of the “Wander experience” is focused on how all the inhabitants of the world (including players) interpret their surroundings and interact with each other. However, if one was so inclined, it might be possible to discover the “truth”, so to speak. Also we plan on having a collection/customization aspect, which I’m especially excited about!

KidGreengene said:

November 19th, 6:56 am

@4: I hear you, but when done right, a game focused on the telling of their story can surprise and surpass expectations. Gone Home is an excellent example. I was pulled into that world entirely.

Mega-Sackman said:

November 19th, 7:04 am

This sounds amazing!! hope it’ll deliver on the concept.

llLeonhart said:

November 19th, 7:19 am

This one caught me off guard..
Looks amazing, absolutely jaw dropping, you have my attention. Keep up the good work guys.

G-Force08 said:

November 19th, 7:25 am

Wow. I have actually been talking about these types of games with a few friends and I’m so glad someone decided to make another. There aren’t enough!

Less violence and more exploration! WONDERFUL! :D

I’m really looking forward to playing it at the PS Experience.

etscott said:

November 19th, 7:34 am

Looks awesome.

sealum01 said:

November 19th, 7:41 am

Yet another incredibly promising Playstation console exclusive (according to the official site). While I enjoy shooters (first person and third person), I really appreciate games like these that emphasize story, character progression, and puzzles. This is why PS4 was an easy choice.

This and Project Morpheus… :)~~

thegodofgreen said:

November 19th, 7:50 am

I want to see more!

Jorge-Nieve_Bat said:

November 19th, 8:04 am

So many beautiful, and promising games coming out that I can’t keep up any more. WHY?!!

Ravenous74 said:

November 19th, 8:57 am

Wow! This looks absolutely gorgeous…my style of game. I’ll be sure to check this one out.

GrafUlrich88 said:

November 19th, 9:14 am

Hello Crystal,

This looks gorgeous! All be checking this out when it releases.

I wanted to ask if you guys and gals would consider on making “Dynamic Themes” and “Avatar Pictures” for the PS4. Your game would look cool displayed on everyone’s PS4.

Cheers!!!

Rob aka Graf

P.S. Please keep posting info on the PS Blog as your game gets closer to launch, thanks.

Dragonchasers said:

November 19th, 9:19 am

Very interesting! Can’t wait to learn (and see!) more.

PanTheMan16 said:

November 19th, 10:05 am

Sounds neat. I’d love to hear more about how the game plays and what the goal is. Is there an ending? Are there perks to exploration aside from lore? Is it free-to-play, a subscription-based game or will there be a one-time purchase price? I’ll try to catch the Twitch stream if I don’t forget.

Crystal Flinn's Avatar

Crystal Flinn said:

November 20th, 4:09 am

The answers to your questions are: yes, yes, yes, no, and yes :) Everyone who plays will have a different goal, but it is possible to get to the “end” of the story, if that happens to be your goal.
    Also, you can catch the Twitch ep on youtube if you missed it the first time around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAW97PaNjQI

SilentNova said:

November 19th, 10:51 am

I am really curious to see how this works. Any idea of when you will have a trailer for this? Also since this is an MMO, is it going to have a monthly fee of some sort? I have played quite a few non-violent games, but this one has me extremely interested. Can’t wait for some more info.

Mega-Sackman said:

November 19th, 10:56 am

@SilentNova I think this is a teaser of the PS4 version and there are videos of gameplay of the PC version aswell:

firebranded said:

November 19th, 11:05 am

Looks great, will definitely check it out :)

plaztiksyke said:

November 19th, 11:35 am

I really liked Datura on PS3, so this sounds right up my alley. If the live visuals hold up to the stills, it should be a great experience.

I like how the individual feathers are being rendered (hopefully with full collision/physics) instead of just a high-res texture that stretches/morphs. If the rest of the models are as detailed, and the animation is nailed, it’ll be beautiful.

KGH said:

November 19th, 12:52 pm

Yes! I’ve been waiting for a game like this to come out for a looong time now. Maybe this can hold me over until The Witness finally gets released.

Kinetic808 said:

November 19th, 2:02 pm

Very nice! While reading this it reminded me of how excited I got when I found out there was a new Kings Quest in the works.
Cant wait to see more.

iREVOLTER said:

November 19th, 2:10 pm

Nice! Love the concept, u got my interest.

guitarded77 said:

November 19th, 2:59 pm

Sounds interesting, but I’ll need to see some gameplay before deciding.

ZhaneEndrick said:

November 19th, 4:35 pm

Okay, I am not the least bit interested in MMOs, but you have my attention. I am eager to learn more about this.

PanTheMan16 said:

November 19th, 5:07 pm

Will the video from the stream be posted? I tried to make it just before 4:30pm, but apparently my clock has a dying battery, because my laptop said it was 5pm. -.-

bry_summers said:

November 19th, 7:10 pm

Thank you for this. I can no longer play games that have violence and sexual themes because of what it does to my spirit. But I miss exploring vast worlds. I have been recently hoping someone would come up with an open world exploration type of game without sexual content or strong violence, because the world is spiraling out of control with these things. This brings me hope.

Ender_Bean said:

November 19th, 9:20 pm

I’m in. My favorite things about games is the exploration. I always found combat nonsensical. Why is it that every alien race always wants to destroy Earth and Humanity for example?

Zoryu_of_Setsuna said:

November 20th, 1:05 am

Interesting. I look forward to more information when it becomes available.

Cuzz1980 said:

November 20th, 4:16 pm

I AM LOVING THE CONCEPT FOR THIS GAME……LOOKS AMAZING..CANT WAIT TO TRY IT!!!!

Madame-Viam said:

November 24th, 7:40 pm

Interesting. Very interesting!

BrothaSoul0 said:

November 29th, 7:23 pm

I just played the “Flower” demo and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the simplicity, music, and interaction of it. It sounds like this game may be similar but with more freedom and lore. Looking forward to this.