Tomorrow, PlayStation 4 will get an update to system software version 2.50, codenamed “Yukimura,” which will bring an onslaught of features: some you’ve been anticipating, many you’ve requested, and others that might surprise you. This update will make significant improvements to your PS4 experience, making it even more streamlined and enjoyable.
Following the update, you’ll be able to smoothly pick games up right where you left off, find and connect with friends quicker, customize your experience and share your most epic moments in a more meaningful way.
PlayStation 4 v2.50 Update
Features coming to PS4 with “Yukimura” include:
- Suspend/Resume* — Supported by nearly all of your PS4 games, you can jump in and out of your games with just the press of the PS button. Quickly switch from Rest Mode to powered-up so you can pick up where you left off.
- Back-Up and Restore HDD to USB — Back-up and restore your hard disc drive data associated with users on your PS4, including settings, saved data, screenshots and video clips as well as games, patches and download data, to and from an external USB drive.
- Find and Connect with Friends — “Yukimura” adds to an already robust set of social tools, bringing several updates to continue making PS4 the best place to play with your friends, including:
- Facebook Friend Finder — Using your linked account, you can expand your network by searching and connecting with your Facebook friends.
- Improved Friend requests — Friend requests and Real Name requests can be sent together in one step when adding a friend on PS4.
- Streamlined Party process — The process to create a Party has been streamlined with a reduction in the number of steps required.
- Find Friends who play your games — Easily view what friends are playing on each game detail page with a real-time “Friends Who Play This” section, which also highlights which friends are currently online and playing it, and if you own the game, allows you to jump directly into the game.
- Join Friends directly from news feed — A new tile will be added on your What’s New feed where you can see what your friends are currently playing, enabling you to join in the game if you own it.
- Share Earned Trophies and Optimize Your Trophy List — We know that Trophies are important to many gamers, so we’re bringing more control with how you show them off:
- Automatic Trophy Screenshots — A screenshot will automatically be captured when a Trophy is earned, preserving the moment to share with friends.
- SHARE Trophies — Players can share Trophy information to Facebook, Twitter or via Message by pressing the SHARE button.
- Additional Trophy sorting options — Sort your Trophy list by Earned Date, Not Earned and Grade.
- Delete 0% Trophies — Remove games from your Trophy list that have zero percent completion.
- Improved and Expanded Accessibility Options — New options added to customize the user experience include:
- Customized button assignments for DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller.
- Zoom for displayed pictures and inverted colors for all system functions, apps and in-game.
- Text-to-speech is available only for Message and Party, and is only performed in English.**
- Enlarged text for all graphical user interface, including Message and Party, as well as the system’s browser.
- Bolder fonts and higher contrast UI for all system applications (but will not apply to games or third-party applications).
- Remote Play and Share Play — For games that support 60 fps, users will be able to automatically enjoy those games with 60 fps for both Remote Play and Share Play*** on supported devices.
- Automatic Installation for System Software Updates — Enable automatic installation for future system software updates.
- Sub-Account Upgrade — Enable users 18 years of age or older with sub-accounts to upgrade to a master account directly on PS4, removing restrictions on chat and enabling users to add funds to their Wallet, purchase content and more.
- Verified Accounts — Select game developers, producers, designers and community managers will be verified with a badge.
- Dailymotion — Upload video clips directly to Dailymotion via the SHARE button.
PlayStation Vita and PlayStation App for smartphones and tablets will also receive system software updates tonight, adding complementary features to those added to PS4. PS Vita update version 3.50 and PlayStation App update version 2.50 will add new accessibility options, including enlarged text, increased contrast and more. This update also enables PS Vita to support 60 fps streaming for Remote Play***.
We’re excited for you to get your hands on these new features and experience them for yourselves. You have all been such a big part of our successes, and we have carefully listened to your requests to make your PlayStation experiences even better. We’re happy to be delivering many of them with “Yukimura.” Please keep the feedback flowing, so we can continue making PlayStation 4 the best place to play.
*Suspend/Resume is not fully supported by some software titles.
**The wording of this list item has been updated for clarity.
***A sufficiently robust wi-fi connection is required.