Paragon

May 20

May 20

Octodad: Dadliest Catch Wriggles Onto PS Vita May 26th

Phil Tibitoski's Avatar Posted by President & Co-Founder, Young Horses

Back in December at PlayStation Experience, our friend Gio Corsi let everyone know that, with the help of Sickhead Games, we would be bringing Octodad: Dadliest Catch to PS Vita.

Today Young Horses is happy to announce that on May 26th for $14.99 you’ll be able to take Octodad on the go!

With the launch of Octodad: Dadliest Catch on PS Vita, we’re also introducing a couple of new features we think both current and new players will enjoy. First of all, Octodad will be available as a cross-buy title, which means that if you’ve already purchased the game on PS4, you’ll automatically have access to play it on your PS Vita.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch on PS Vita

Although we won’t have cross-save support, we have added a new set of Trophies to the PS Vita version of the game to give you even more opportunities to achieve the impossible with your normal human hands.

Another cool feature is the ability to play co-op locally using one device. With Sickhead Games’ help, we managed to stuff in enough control for two players (one on each side) to wobble your favorite dad through everyday life while rubbing shoulders with a real life friend.

We’re excited to share this cool new way of playing Octodad and hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

<3, Young Horses

Add Your Own

maxcoronel2014 said:

May 20th, 7:05 am

Awesome. The Vita seems the perfect fit for this game!

paulogy said:

May 20th, 7:06 am

Hi Phil! Congrats on your Vita launch. The system is sorely lacking games about normal, everyday dads :-)

cool_trainer said:

May 20th, 7:07 am

Cool picture of a normal guy at his wedding.

The_Codefinder said:

May 20th, 7:07 am

Crossbuy, new trophies, and two-player co-op on one system, thanks Young Horses and Sickhead Games for an awesome game and supporting the Vita!

death_nation100 said:

May 20th, 7:21 am

I forgot Octodad:Dadliest Catch was even mention at The Playstation Experience I was there lol

rawd76 said:

May 20th, 7:27 am

New challenges on a diff trophy set? Oh hell yeah

Xbox1_Sign_Out said:

May 20th, 7:41 am

No offense. But can you guys just stop milking Octodad? Unless you’re making a sequel, no one cares what platform this game comes on. It’s still has the same levels, challenges, ties, etc…

Phil Tibitoski's Avatar

Phil Tibitoski said:

May 20th, 7:56 am

Not everyone has all the previous platforms it’s been released on.

ManjoumeThunder said:

May 20th, 7:46 am

Will it be PS TV compatible?

Phil Tibitoski's Avatar

Phil Tibitoski said:

May 20th, 7:57 am

Yep! And it allows for the 4 player co-op on PS TV if you have enough controllers.

Phil Tibitoski's Avatar

Phil Tibitoski said:

May 20th, 8:10 am

Sorry, actually it’s only 2 player co-op on PS TV. My bad!

Thiagots85 said:

May 20th, 7:51 am

Some Vita love.

Kaznasty- said:

May 20th, 8:00 am

Excellent, I’m really glad I get to enjoy this on Vita! It’s fun on PS4 but all too often I don’t have time to play the home console and I get most of my game time in on my Vita. Thanks for the port, my kid and I will love you for it =]

redcar200 said:

May 20th, 8:28 am

New trophies!! Will it have a platty?

Phil Tibitoski's Avatar

Phil Tibitoski said:

May 20th, 8:44 am

No platinum, but there are some silver and one gold.

whereymyconary said:

May 20th, 8:49 am

Yey! One of my favorite games from last year on the go. This makes me happy. Also the only reason I want to buy sack boy 3 is to get octodad costume.

Sealtested said:

May 20th, 9:58 am

Can’t wait to play a normal father simulator again!

MakaiOokami said:

May 20th, 9:59 am

Cross-buy? I’m in.

By in I mean I bought it when it first launched.

@7 what about people wanting Octodad on commutes? What about on trips? What about when everyone else wants to use the t.v.s for non Octodadliness. What about to take to a friends’ house?

Hell at this point the Vita TV is becoming an awesome You + Friend + Vita TV = All night hilarity.

Octodad, PS1 mutiplayer classics (Um Jammer Lammy or fighting games especially), Nidhogg, Towerfall, possibly Spelunky and Guacamelee.

I remember having to ask parents (because I’d rather spend money I earned on owning not renting) to rent games for when friends came over and those were like $6. Now you can grab a digital copy of those for $6, or for $15 you can play PS Now for a whole month.

Not to mention the fact that Octodad, Towerfall, and Spelunky are all Free for Plus games at one point.

The sad thing is that kids now a days don’t wanna try these games. You have to force them to try them. Then after 3 hours, you have to force them to stop playing. It’s because kids forgot what playing games is like, as they want realism, and to mimic some dude from Sweden.

Hakumen__ said:

May 20th, 10:30 am

Awesome! Already have the PS4 version so I can jump into the Vita version right away once it launches!

Rainwater said:

May 20th, 10:31 am

Wow, had no idea this was happening. Thanks!

snarls200 said:

May 20th, 10:35 am

MakaiOokami : octodad was never on +

nextleveltaken said:

May 20th, 12:10 pm

Who’s that man with the three piece suit?
Makin’ a doll with a log and fruit
Who’s that man with the eight strong legs?
Tried to make me breakfast but he broke my eggs

Octodad – nobody suspects a thing

Who’s that man with the hard, hard beak?
three feet tall with a soft physique
How’s a man like that man feel?
running for his life from a moray eel

Octodad – nobody suspects a thing
Octodad – he’s got a good thing going

Jmes99 said:

May 20th, 12:17 pm

My two favourite words “cross buy”!

plaztiksyke said:

May 20th, 1:58 pm

Ha! I love the two players on one Vita gameplay idea. I wish Sportsfriends would come out for Vita — it’s two-players-one-controller games are really fun!

I really appreciate the cross-buy, and the extra trophies to make up for the lack of cross-save.

Can you talk about if Octodad on Vita is native resolution? Does it turn off networking like Oddworld and Kick & Fennick do to squeeze extra performance out of the CPU/GPU for better resolution/framerates?

Playing Octodad on PS4 with two Move controllers was one of the highlights of my gaming life last year. Looking forward to this Vita version!

Phil Tibitoski's Avatar

Kevin Geisler said:

May 20th, 4:31 pm

Octodad runs at the native resolution, with framerates between 30~50fps, depending on level and interaction with physics-based objects. Throughout the development, the biggest bottleneck was with our usage of PhysX (cpu-based). This required us to go through levels and simplify collision shape complexity in ways that we didn’t need to with other versions.

We don’t disable anything like networking. The biggest difference between versions is that the lighting is simplified, but being a cartoony game, it’s not that different-looking.

We decided against cross-save because the level optimizations don’t match the PS4 version, and we save out the entire levels as checkpoints. But, we asked Vita subreddit and decided to have a different trophy set to make up for that.

RR99i said:

May 20th, 2:02 pm

Thanks Phil, Gio and every single person that was involved in making this happen! I enjoy the PlayStation Vita very much and it’ll be a joy to play Octodad anywhere now. I can’t wait until this Tuesday, May 26th! :) Thanks again.

B91212- said:

May 20th, 2:32 pm

Well that is just rubbish. Firstly I had no idea that a port to Vita was in the works, secondly it’s damn cross-buy so I won’t have to pay anything to try it on the go and finally I have to wait forever until it comes out (May 26th? come on that’s just totally unreasonable). There, I feel like the countless other keyboard warriors who also post.

Being serious this is great news, thank you. Firstly for showing Vita/ PS TV support in the first place and also for making it cross-buy for those of us who already have it. Like @10 my PS4 time is limited so I’ve only put about 30 minutes in to it since purchase so this will be ideal.

Petkata99 said:

May 20th, 3:28 pm

A lot of great games on the vita lately. I could see a posible comeback for such a great handheld.

somebluesyguy said:

May 20th, 4:55 pm

This is great news because I have a PlayStation TV. My friend has a PlayStation 4 though, and his birthday is coming up. I think I know what I must do.

TJF588 said:

May 20th, 7:12 pm

As a PSTV and recent Vita owner, yet to acquire a PS4, this is roight bully!

But, wait…wasn’t this on sale recently? Before this announcement? Ah, bullocks… But then, better to have at all, than to always say, “Well, I don’t have a PS4, so…”

tms92003 said:

May 21st, 4:25 am

I can’t wait. I’ve been watching the store since the email got sent out

Elvick_ said:

May 21st, 3:44 pm

What’s unique about some random father? Needs a better hook.

Poopookakabumbum said:

May 22nd, 9:11 am

No physical release – no sale.

plaztiksyke said:

May 22nd, 10:58 am

Kevin, thanks for answering my questions in such detail!! I wish other devs were so forthcoming.