PlayStation VR

Jul 24

Jul 24

Galak-Z: Mech Mode Revealed

Raj Joshi's Avatar Posted by Studio Director, 17-BIT

Hey kid! You wanna hear a secret? Because, friends, we’ve been saving a juicy one for a long time now…

Anime enthusiasts inevitably ask when they see the game, “So… can you turn into a mech?” And we always respond with, “Oh man! That would be cool!” Well, guess what?

You can freaking turn into a mech in Galak-Z!

What is this “Mech” blasphemy you keep ranting about?!

The Mech mode is a whole new way to play Galak-Z. Get up in an enemy’s face, slice him in two with your sword, or grab him with your extending arm, smash his guts, then throw his scrapped remains into an oncoming bad guy for a double-explosion fireworks show.

You needn’t worry too much about taking damage either, as your huge Directional Shield will deflect and absorb even the most deadly attacks when timed right. Plus, the deadly environment is now your best friend, as you take and fling what you need from it — asteroids, spikes, explosives — relentlessly at any enemy stupid enough to appear in your sights.

So what? How is this different than Ship gameplay, Mechman?!

Rather than fighting from afar whilst dodging like a pro, the Mech is all about turning the tables and pressuring the bad guys instead. One on one, especially versus smaller zippy enemies, the Mech is vicious. It can grab an enemy even from a distance, pull them close and beat them to death without resistance or mercy.

Against many enemies, what it lacks in missiles it makes up in the ability to throw the explosive elements of the environment, or can dispatch multiple enemies at once with charged sword attacks that sweep in a great arc.

Defensively, the Direction Shield gives extra damage absorption on top of regular shields, and like with the Juke, more skillful players will be able to use their timing to negate attacks altogether by deflecting them. Best of all, the Mech requires no upgrades to use all of the skills listed above, making it your weapon of choice at the start of a Season when your Ship is still thin on awesome upgrades. Of course, switching between the two when desired is the most effective.

But…you probably limit how much I can switch between the Ship and the Mech, right?

Actually, the player can transform from Mech to Ship, and back again, with the touch of a button! Unlimited transforming means you can unleash a barrage of missiles to obliterate shields then speed in sword raised for the kill, or perhaps just pluck an unwary foe from the circus of smoke and explosions and beat him to a pulp.

If things get too much, use your Directional Shield to take the brunt of damage and then transform to Ship form and fire as you reverse-boost away to safety and victory at once. The possibilities are endless!

The full might of the Galak-Z is yours to discover, as both Mech and Ship form, on August 4th.

Raj Joshi & Tom Hart, Designer

Add Your Own

Bellalara said:

July 24th, 9:08 am

This game looks sweet!

paulogy said:

July 24th, 9:19 am

Mechtastic!

paulogy said:

July 24th, 10:47 am

And all at once, the name of the game makes even more sense (beyond the pun) now:
    This is a spiritual Mazinger/Tranzor Z game! My god :-D

XwingVmanX said:

July 24th, 9:10 am

Congratulations, the game was not on my radar and you just made it a day one purchase for me.

SaviorMachine said:

July 24th, 9:17 am

If you pre-order, then you save $4 and they throw in a static theme…

gerneric123 said:

July 24th, 9:11 am

#ripsvita

XwingVmanX said:

July 24th, 9:17 am

Did they cancel the vita version?

Mr_Klown said:

July 24th, 9:20 am

I can tell how old my Vita is by how much dust is on it. It’s like the rings in a tree.

madmanwithabox12 said:

July 24th, 9:23 am

Yep. Announced the cancellation at the last minute when it was clear they’d not even been working on it despite their initial announcement. Then tried to pull the “we’re indie” card as a defence. Futurlab, Dennaton, basically everything that comes out of Curve Digital or Devolver Digital, Drinkbox say hi.

Mr_Klown said:

July 24th, 9:25 am

They did. “On July 14, 2015, 17-BIT announced that the PlayStation 4 version will be released on August 4, 2015, with the PC version following a couple months later. The PlayStation Vita version was cancelled.[7]”

markedman54 said:

July 24th, 9:27 am

I’ll buy if they ever change their minds and release it on the Vita.
    Until then… not so much…

XwingVmanX said:

July 24th, 9:12 am

Is Mech mode something that is available right from the beginning or is it something you need to unlock?

paulogy said:

July 24th, 10:45 am

I’ve heard it unlocks in the second “season”

madmanwithabox12 said:

July 24th, 9:19 am

Oh hey! Remember when you promised this on Vita and then cancelled at the last minute? Me too…

gerneric123 said:

July 24th, 9:28 am

it totally makes sense to announce a game for multiple platforms of different hardware capabilities and only develop on the most powerful
    there’s no way that will make things difficult later on

CrusaderForever said:

July 24th, 11:03 am

Hey, we heard you the first time give it a rest. They canceled it for a reason which was most likely financial. Buy a PS4 if you want the game so bad. Entitled much?

Firelogic said:

July 24th, 9:23 am

Mech-mode has made this an insta-buy for me! Looks slick!

Vextalon said:

July 24th, 9:34 am

I was already going to preorder the game anyway but mechanic combat makes the game even better. Are there going to be any future expansions with this game?

How is this going to look on PS Vita with remote play?

Patsrule0316 said:

July 24th, 9:42 am

I already preordered last Tuesday. I was a huge Star Blazers and Force Five fan as a kid in the early 80s, so I call the new mode Shogun Warrior mode. Awesome news. I was already really excited for this game before this news…now I’m extra stoked. Next thing you know, they will announce there is a Wave Motion gun, or you can get out of your ship with two ends of a magic baton that when put together become this ultimate weapon that can break through everything, and really try to put it over the top for me.

@Vextalon #7, From what I read, the game will ship with 4 seasons of 5 episodes each, and there will be a 5th season added for free after release.

tusunami said:

July 24th, 9:46 am

Uh oh spaghetti oooo’s this is a definite for me

death_nation100 said:

July 24th, 10:08 am

Cool I’ll definitely be getting it just not on debut date as much as I want to.

paulogy said:

July 24th, 10:44 am

I’m really impressed you guys managed to keep such a key part of your game a secret for so long – years, really! Kinda incredible, actually :-). Was it a deliberate decision to have this mode early on and have it be a reveal later, or was it perhaps added later on in production after most people had seen their first previews? Either way, bravo and congrats on your upcoming launch!

TheZaikman said:

July 24th, 1:21 pm

The mech has been in the game from pretty much day one. It’s definitely wasn’t tacked on at the end and the whole game has been built around the fighter+mech hybrid.

paulogy said:

July 24th, 3:10 pm

So cool! What led to keeping it a secret for so long? I think it’s a great move (and hopefully all the positive response today is showing that), but it was probably pretty hard to not slip up over these years :-)

beamstrike said:

July 24th, 10:50 am

well this article changed my non-interest to a instant preorder

well done, looking forward to the release

CrusaderForever said:

July 24th, 10:55 am

COMPLETELY EPIC!!!!!!! OMG! This game is #1 on my list and it’s only a few weeks away! Well done, I hope you are already working on Galak-Z 2 because this game is going to be hit! Well done!

saiyanknight87 said:

July 24th, 10:55 am

I wasn’t planning on buying this game but this mech mode changes my mind! I just may buy this game now!

ero619 said:

July 24th, 10:57 am

Holy ****, this suddenly looks incredible, seriously considering buying.

HussamFelimban said:

July 24th, 11:04 am

No Vita no buy.

radioavon said:

July 24th, 11:20 am

Looks awesome! can’t wait to play this sucker on my Vita…oh…wait…..

Banholio said:

July 24th, 11:31 am

I knew It was great idea to preorder! looking forward for realease date!

RicoUsA123 said:

July 24th, 11:39 am

thanks so much for all the love!! we kept the Mech a secret from the beginning as we wanted to give y’all a nice surprise. It started as a nice to have and turned into a reality. We wanted to give our fans something special, and what better way than as a surprise?!

for Vita fans, we are equally heart broken about not being able to bring the fluid gameplay of GALAK-Z to the Vita. Please understand that we invested a great deal of time and resources, but we aren’t anywhere close to feeling like the experience would be representative of GALAK-Z and it’s intense action and responsiveness. It hurt us to cancel it, but i think players would be more upset if it was just a slideshow and not fun to play. And a game that’s not fun is .. well .. not a game worth playing.

gerneric123 said:

July 24th, 12:22 pm

“Please understand that we invested a great deal of time and resources”

I’m having a hard time believing this. You guys announced the Vita port more than a year ago and cancelled it less than a month before launch. To the casual onlooker, that makes it look like you guys developed the game without any thought about whether it would run on one of the promised platforms. To the shock and awe of no one, when you guys actually decided to develop the Vita version, you found out that 2011 mobile hardware is significantly less powerful than 2012 PC hardware.

Welmosca said:

July 24th, 11:50 am

Wow just wow I dunno how I allowed this game to slip under ma eyes,I heard the name Galak-Z here and there probably here on the Blog but never really had time to check the game out,I knew it was about ship though(Galak-Z screams “ship game”) and man do I love me some ship games…you know what I mean.
Boy this mech mode looks amazing…game just raised from under the radar to the top of ma list.Damn it looks too good…also loving the animations,wish I could get it at launch but I probably won’t be able to…DEFINITELY buying it though.

bbswarrior_11 said:

July 24th, 11:53 am

This is how you get me to buy a game… Gonna pre-order later.

califoreigner said:

July 24th, 11:59 am

This would’ve been the perfect game to play on the go. Damn shame really

RicoUsA123 said:

July 24th, 1:10 pm

generic123 – the casual onlooker is likely making many unfounded assumptions. you can work on something for a year to finally determine that you’re not getting solid results. you can then enlist the help of vita experts who also decide that it’s unlikely. that’s how it goes sometimes. in running a business, you have to ask yourself about the challenges you sign yourself up for and the consequences. to close the studio because we didn’t make a prudent decision on canceling the vita benefits no one. GALAK-Z is a showcase of Unity, Cyntuent, and the PS4. you should check it out. and if not, please play one of the many awesome games on Vita like Guacamele, Hohokum, Oddworld, etc.

today is a day of celebration .. and so will be the 4th. i invite you to celebrate with us. :)

madmanwithabox12 said:

July 25th, 6:40 am

That’s all well and good, but here’s the thing. If you weren’t 100% sure you’d be able to make the game work on Vita, then why on Earth would you go ahead and announce it? That’s what’s causing the backlash here. If you had just come out and said PS4, everything would be fine. You might have a few people here asking for a Vita version, this is the PlayStation blog after all. But instead you saw fit to make a promise you couldn’t keep and have soiled the trust of consumers who might otherwise have been happy to support your game.

It’s not so much that you’re not doing a Vita version. It’s the way you handled the situation. A last minute cancellation is a terrible way to go about things considering you clearly knew way beforehand since all the PR about the game only ever said PS4. Making the promise in the first place, when you weren’t sure you could do it, was a bad move and has only disappointed people.

You claim to be upset about it, but I don’t think you’re as interested in the Vita as you claim. Otherwise we’d be seeing games from you on the platform, but let’s face it you’re probably never going to touch it again given your experience with Galak-Z.

In short: Don’t make promises you can’t keep.

Kharmeister said:

July 27th, 7:35 pm

Ignore the haters…every thread on this page has countless people lamenting the Vita when it has been clear to anyone that has experienced a generation or two when a console or portable is in its death throes. People need to accept that outside of Remote Play and cross-buy indie titles, the Vita is over as a platform. There’s no reason why any independent studio should go out of business developing for it. It just wasn’t in the cards. There are way too many people here that are getting much too high off their sense of entitlement, when the writing has been on the wall for years.

WolfyHopeless said:

July 29th, 2:52 pm

I would argue that there are still many great games available for the vita, both indie, digital, and physical releases. I love all my weird Japanese ports (not imports) that come over for it and I’ve got a library of PS1 RPGs on it as well. I use it for Hulu, and on the go entertainment. It’s ideal for me. I don’t think anyone needs to acknowledge it’s so called “death throes” so much as the fact that it’s probably not a system they’re going to fully utilize to their own personal enjoyment. I love mine, I have no issues, I have a library of 20 physical games alone, not counting the classics or indies or digital releases and I enjoy them all immensely. I do find it incredibly discouraging that everyone is apparently an expert on game development and Public Relations, and how someone else feels on a project they worked hard on that just didn’t pan out. Get. Over. It.

That rant aside, I’m SUPER pumped for Galak-Z. I have been since it’s first announcement and while it sucks it isn’t coming out on Vita, I totally get it. I can’t imagine it feels great for you guys, but either way I’m getting it on PS4 and that’ll be awesome! Soooooooon.

OnTheBus666 said:

July 24th, 1:27 pm

This looks amazing; like a colorful complex version of luftrausers, hope this is another step towards getting more mecha games on ps4 and vita (please release the gundam breakers stateside and give us an update on the ps4 gundam game shown off at the ps4 launch

FortLord said:

July 24th, 1:29 pm

Kind of snarky for PS blog to inline imgur pics IMO. Sure, it’s a great way for regular people to share images, but I’m sure Sony can afford their own bandwidth.

pa3lo said:

July 24th, 1:38 pm

I hace mixed feelings forma this game, it’s my most anticipated game this year but the last minute cancelation of the vita versión pissed me off. I will wait for a psplus discount before buying

WolfyHopeless said:

July 29th, 2:53 pm

It’s already discounted for pre-order, and I agree it’s a shame about the vita thing but why do all you people have to act like this is something they did JUST TO SPITE YOU. That’s absurd and churlish.

Amnalehu said:

July 24th, 1:54 pm

Love the Mech mode! Thanks for the free theme. It’s gracing my screen right now and looks great! C’mon 7/28!

Amnalehu said:

July 24th, 1:57 pm

OOps! 8/4!!!

WolfyHopeless said:

July 29th, 2:54 pm

lol made my heart skip a beat for a minute there.

SuperNinjaTendo said:

July 24th, 2:17 pm

Dang. This is the perfect type of game to play on Vita. With the little time I have to sit in front of my TV with my PS4 & PS3, I’d rather be playing the big, bombastic games like RE Remaster, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, Bioshock Infinite, etc. (my backlog is huge) as well as the upcoming Uncharted games (trilogy and 4). It’s too bad my wireless network (home electronic interference?) sucks too much to get much out of Remote Play. Please reconsider developing this for Vita… I don’t mind waiting a couple months after it hits consoles, but late is better than not at all!

GABEv01 said:

July 24th, 2:40 pm

Oohhhh! Me likee likes!

Worluk6 said:

July 24th, 3:56 pm

I’ve played this before… when it was called THEXDER!

GENETICIDE said:

July 24th, 5:54 pm

This needs physical retail in the worst way.

spacemonkeyham said:

July 24th, 6:24 pm

What a great reveal to draw us back in! The wait was worth it!

D-Squad3 said:

July 24th, 7:52 pm

Still a few weeks away. :(

SLYFOX131 said:

July 24th, 8:05 pm

#NOVITANOBUY

Don’t give us any crap of, well there is remote play. The only system I was interested in getting this on was my vita. Good luck guys, but I’m done supporting developers that make promises and change their mind.

WolfyHopeless said:

July 29th, 2:55 pm

It didn’t work out. Don’t be so obnoxious. #CHECKYOURENTITLEMENT

Superstone said:

July 24th, 8:36 pm

No Vita no buy for me

DasRequiem said:

July 25th, 7:57 am

It really sucks that it’s not going for PSVita. That would’ve been perfect. Oh well…

Betogalado said:

July 25th, 9:03 am

Really disapointed this isn`t coming to PSVita anymore… really disapointed!

Get it back on your plans please!

alv_101argand said:

July 25th, 9:48 am

If it were coming to the vita as well then i would’ve bought it day one. But now I’ll wait for it to go below $10.

valkyrieknight1 said:

July 25th, 4:15 pm

Projects have scopes and scopes change. Deal with it. If they kept the mech part hidden for so long, i have to give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to everything else including vita cancellation. What other things are they hiding?

valkyrieknight1 said:

July 25th, 4:17 pm

Also from experience, i’ve learnt to never take anything developers say as promises. Take it with a grain of salt till you see results. Makes life easier.

SLYFOX131 said:

July 25th, 4:17 pm

NO VITA NO BUY, for me as well. Sorry remote play doesn’t count. If you decide to change your minds I will be on board but as it stands I wish you the best of luck.

pablikenemy79 said:

July 25th, 6:36 pm

WHAT? NOT ON VITA ????????????? IIs this true?
The Perfect game for the vita is a Ps4 exclusive…just Ridicolus..
NO VITA NO BUY..

TrueProphecy said:

July 26th, 8:01 am

Been waiting for this game so long. It’s finally almost here! Next week is going to be sweet!

Hakumen__ said:

July 27th, 5:26 pm

I’ve a PS4 and usually I wouldn’t say no to a mecha game, however the PS Vita version is the one I wanted so:

NO VITA, NO BUY!

WolfyHopeless said:

July 29th, 2:56 pm

Then you’re missing out on a great game. I wonder if you even notice how you and others like you limit your overall enjoyment of things.