God of War

Aug 13

Aug 13

Vote Grow Home During PlayStation Vote to Play

Pete Young's Avatar Posted by Producer, Ubisoft Reflections

Grow Home is coming to PS4 on September 1st. Yay! Even better, you get to decide if it’s going to be free for all Playstation Plus members as we’re featured in the new “Vote to Play” campaign. We’d love your vote, and we’re excited to know what you think of it!

Grow Home

Developing the game has been a real adventure for us. It actually started as an experiment in procedural animation, but even in the early stages we could see a unique charm and personality coming from the way our character moved. The more we tinkered, the more we felt compelled to try and build a game around it.

At Reflections, we’re used to working on big team, big budget, high-profile titles. Creating a smaller game like this was very new to us, so we had to take a different approach. A tiny team of eight set about building a game we could share with Ubisoft staff around the world — we wanted to prove that we had something fun instead of promise it. The game spread internally, quickly reaching the desktops of top management who jumped on board giving us the go-ahead to officially launch it.

Grow HomeGrow Home

Grow Home is the story of BUD, a Botanical Utility Droid sent on a quest across the galaxy to seek out a new species of flora to help oxygenate his home world. He finds the perfect specimen in the Star Plant. BUD’s mission is to grow it to maturity and harvest the seeds it produces, resulting in a towering two-kilometer-high bridge from the ground to his space ship. Along the way you’ll explore floating islands, encounter strange plants and unusual animals. The Star Plant is a living thing, so growing and steering it is quite a wild ride. The shape it takes is all up to you, as you grow your own playground in the sky.

Using BUD’s hands, you’ll push, pull, and grab onto objects, as well as climb. Grabbing with the left and right trigger buttons brings a unique feel to how you interact with the world, especially the climbing which can be very physical and perilous — you get a real sense of vertigo and you’re acutely aware of the long drop below you!

Grow Home

As you make your way toward the sky, you’ll discover other ways of getting around faster. That’s where discoveries like the teleportation pads, bouncing leaves, flower parachutes and leaf glider come in. It might be safer to grow and climb everywhere, but once you have a glider or parachute to use if you fall then you’ll begin to push yourself to take bigger and bolder risks — jumping, bouncing, gliding, and falling with confidence.

We wanted to challenge how we make games at Ubisoft Reflections. Grow Home has given us a chance to experiment on a much smaller scale than we’re used to. It’s a project born out of our passion for games and a determination to do things differently. We feel we’ve created a beautiful and intriguing world that invites you to climb that next ledge and see what new surprises you’ll find. We hope you enjoy the adventure!

Add Your Own

Spores_ said:

August 13th, 8:55 am

Seems interesting.
Not really my cup of tea but if the price is rite due to not being free I would likely add this to my digital collection.

randomtevin said:

August 13th, 1:37 pm

i watched a gameplay of grow home and hoped it would come to ps4 so i could play it

ibalderrama said:

August 13th, 9:05 am

We have a winner!!

maxcoronel2014 said:

August 13th, 9:14 am

Ok guys, I was undecided between your game and “Zombie Vikings”, but Im putting my vote to you. Game looks very unique, fun and challenging.

TimMalouff said:

August 13th, 9:19 am

Grow Home is $7.99 on Steam
Armello will be $19.99 on Steam was more during early access from what I read.
Zombie Viking I have no idea

We won’t know pricing till release for the Playstation but if it’s like steam than I would rather have Sony give Plus Members the more expensive game (Armello) & purchase the cheaper popular one (Grow Home).

drd7of14 said:

August 13th, 12:16 pm

Price isn’t everything…Aliens: Colonial Marines was 59.99 at launch. Not saying these 3 titles are as bad as that garbage, but worth considering. Everything will go down in price and be on sale eventually. Go with what deserves it, and try to look passed the price if you can.

ruben9898 said:

August 27th, 4:38 am

I would much rather go for something interesting then something expensive lol u must be either begging ur parents for money or just a spoiled little kid lol no offence though

sofakingkiller said:

August 13th, 9:25 am

got my vote, game looks awesome

Squadren_64 said:

August 13th, 9:27 am

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Armello is the better game. This doesn’t even have multiplayer. It’s irresponsible that they’re trying to tell us who to vote for. Armello is an incredible game, one of my favorites. Plus, it’s the most expensive. It just makes sense. With Grow Home, you can play it once, it’s just a platformer. Armellow changes every time you play.

Squadren_64 said:

August 13th, 9:28 am

Disregard that comment

LeMatster said:

August 13th, 9:41 am

Yeah I guess you didn’t read the “don’t be a jerk” rule. ;)

Welmosca said:

August 13th, 11:34 am

Wow talk about nonsense.Armello is the worst game by far…100% boring.
    Multiplayer who**** like you are a joke in the gaming community,games without MP are usually the best.

WingerNu1 said:

August 13th, 12:11 pm

@Welmosca Those with more in their lives than video games are more intrigued by multiplayer experiences for a reason; it’s easier to justify time invested when spending that with other people. Do you have any sort of empirical evidence showing any sort of connection between a game’s multiplayer, or lack thereof, and its critical reception? Or are you just being an angry hermit?

drd7of14 said:

August 13th, 12:31 pm

@WingerNu1

Are you insinuating that spending communal time with others online is a better, more positive experience then a Single Player one?

If you’re looking for a story, or want to make an significant changes to the world in which you enter, then no. Multiplayer does not do that. It is mindless competition for the most part, and rarely gets you to really think. I’m not saying it doesn’t requiring thinking to play, or skill, but it doesn’t get you to think afterwards.

A good book, movie, video game, comic, conversation, documentary, t.v. show, or story can stick with you forever. That multiplayer match may be cool, but it’s not going to have any permanent significance. Socially, it’s not a bad thing, if you are indeed social about it. You can easily play multiplayer games in solitude if you want to, but it’s not innately a superior experience to have multiplayer in your game. It’s fun, but I prefer a Single Player, story driven, artistic-driven game any day.

drd7of14 said:

August 13th, 12:31 pm

(Continued)

Price doesn’t make a game good either. You can see my previous response up above, but to save you the trouble, Aliens: Colonial Marines…Enough said. Price varies, and lowers over time. Look at the quality. I’m not saying Armellow is a bad game. Frankly, I haven’t done enough research to give my vote quite yet, but don’t assume it’s better cause of a list of features. It’s the quality of said features that matters. And of course, personal preference is always going to factor in people’s decisions.

drd7of14 said:

August 13th, 12:35 pm

2nd Point

I don’t have a lot of time of my own either. But I’d much rather escape the world and enter a new one of creativity and though provoking experiences, with the reality that a creator has chosen to share with me, then join the masses of people that care way too much for stats.

I suppose it’s kind of the same reason I don’t enjoy watching sports. Stats and all…Not interesting, but that’s another story.

The point is, multiplayer is not always the better option. It’s fun, but not for everyone. Definitely not my preferred choice. It’s just too obvious that it’s just a game, and not a world in which you are entering/exploring.

PrimeroIncognito said:

August 13th, 1:34 pm

Squadren_64 on August 13th, 2015 at 9:27 am said: “It’s irresponsible that they’re trying to tell us who to vote for.”

That doesn’t make a lick of sense.

Lumionion said:

August 13th, 9:34 am

To those of you who have PS+ do you get constatant advertisements when you’re on the store telling to to purchase it? I am and i am also not able to cast a vote now i tried chat and they said my Plus subsciption shows as active on there end (something i already knew because i payed for it…) When i sign in here https://www.playstation.com/en-us/playstation-plus/ it says my account is expired though. Has anyone had this kind of problem? or know someone who has?

kmtburton said:

August 13th, 9:50 am

This is what we need more of through PS+. I love me a good 2D sidescroller but we’ve been getting way to many of them. My vote has been cast for this and looks like I’m not the only one with this opinion since its in the lead at this moment.

Shadow_Enz said:

August 13th, 10:21 am

We’d love to see some kind of gameplay video to make better determinations of what exactly the game is.

zenparadox1 said:

August 13th, 10:59 am

You have my vote once I log into the store today.

Welmosca said:

August 13th, 11:39 am

Got ma vote for sure.
Grow Home is by far the best game offered and the most logical decision to vote.
If it doesn’t win,it’ll be just another proof of how people don’t know the meaning of a good game.

WingerNu1 said:

August 13th, 12:08 pm

Or it could be proof otherwise – if the majority go against you, there’s a pretty decent chance it might be you with the poor opinion.

TimMalouff said:

August 13th, 12:09 pm

How is Grow Home the most logical decision to vote?

1) Grow Home costs $7.99 on Steam vs $19.99 for Armello once it’s released.
    – So you want to be given a cheapper game

2) Grow Home is a short game with little replay value. Armello is a board game full of unlocks that has more game time and replay value.
    – Sure, Grow Home has been out on PC and has good reviews but they all say it’s short.
    – Armello also has forums saying it’s a fun game.

3) We don’t know about what the devs implemented but Armello also has the most potential of unique features
    Grow Home could use the speaker, light bar, & accelerometer (I doubt they used any of it)
    Armello could if couch co-op use second screen for each players cards and resources (How many PS4 games are using that?)
    Armello could also use the light bar for co-op or single player. It could use the speaker for dice rolls & card animation sounds.

I do wish devs would use features.
    Anyone try Transistor with the speaker option? (It make the game feel very different with just that option)

As for Zombie Viking isn’t it like the other 4 player couch co-op games we had on the PS3 like Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim, etc., what is unique other than the art style?

drd7of14 said:

August 13th, 12:41 pm

@ TimMalouff

Value is based on more than just the hours of gameplay vs price of product. The features list, or even multiplayer as well. I need to do more research on the games, and how they play before giving my vote, but basing your decision on the likely price, instead of the fun you’ll have with it, is the first wrong decision in that process. If the price is higher, but you won’t enjoy it, there’s no point. It might as well be $5.00. Grow Home is a 3D game that looks kind of neat. Definitely artistic! But again…I got to check out more first.

drayco500 said:

August 13th, 12:04 pm

Ease let this be free on PS+ I’ve been wanting to play this so bad

nickster9781 said:

August 13th, 12:41 pm

Can this be the next ps plus game for free pls?

GunnerFCm said:

August 13th, 1:08 pm

To wade into the “more expensive does not equal better quality” argument abrewin’… Fine points being made on both sides. If, however, both games are quality (and from what I can see all 3 games up for vote have their perks and supporters) it makes sense to vote for the higher priced game to be free and buy the lower priced game at the discount it will receive. Of course, this only works if you plan on purchasing whichever games are NOT free… If you are only getting the one game that wins, by all means, vote based on which game you want most. But if you think you will pick up two or all three regardless of the voting, save yourself some money and vote for the higher priced game!

TimMalouff said:

August 13th, 1:48 pm

I completely agree GunnerFCm

If you think you will pick up more than one regardless of voting save yourself some money and vote for the higher priced game.

Playstation Plus is also giving us the opportunity to try something out that we normally would not pay/play and we should take advantage of that.

Look at Rocket League a lot of people said they would not have given that game the time of day or a dollar with their own money but thanks to PS+ they were wrong and thankful for getting to experience it with that program.

We all know more about Grow Home and therefore for most of us like drd7of14 is saying it’s a safe bet and a lower risk and probably higher return for your own money and if all three were only available for money it would most likely win.

Buy what I am saying & GunnerFCm is too is that (If you think you will pick up more than on regardless of voting save yourself some money).

But what I am also saying is that Armello looks unique and without PS+ could be like Rocket League where most people would not give it the time of day or a dollar of their own money without a program like PS+

saab01 said:

August 13th, 4:14 pm

Very interested in this game and I am hoping this will be the free game next month. The other two don’t look that interesting to me comparing them to this game.

Eshkiodo95 said:

August 13th, 5:28 pm

I vote for this

Creeper3818 said:

August 13th, 5:45 pm

I vote for this game have played it on pc

vCHOFv said:

August 13th, 6:40 pm

I have this game already on PC but will vote for it anyway because I want my friends on PlayStation to experience it. It’s an absolute gem. Very glad it’s coming here too, well deserved.

BatmanArkham2099 said:

August 14th, 5:03 am

Looks epic, best of the 3.

musibat said:

August 14th, 5:26 am

Change your vote to Armello Trust me you get more out of that game.

musibat said:

August 14th, 5:29 am

This seems to be the least Interesting game out of the 3 options

chavez1138 said:

August 14th, 7:58 am

close second, Im going for Zombie Vikings because of local co-op but I won’t be mad if this one wins.

meekboss said:

August 14th, 10:12 am

Can some one explain to me why this game has so many votes. I’m not hating or anything and will probably play it to try it if it wins. I just don’t see the appeal there’s little to nothing to do from what I’ve seen and it looks like it’s trying to hard to be art but hey i could be wrong some explanation would be more than welcome thanks.

mcksalg said:

August 14th, 11:03 am

Looks like Mine Craft so I guess that’s the appeal. Climbing a bean stalk for 5 hours is not my thing, not sure why this game is winning. Rather play Armello with a group of ppl and just be chill.

meekboss said:

August 14th, 12:41 pm

That’s pretty much how I feel as well but even zombie Vikings is preferable and thanks for the reply but I was wanting to hear the opinion of someone who voted for this

mcksalg said:

August 14th, 11:06 am

Smart vote would go to Armello, I bet ppl who vote this will regret or whine later.

bbswarrior_11 said:

August 14th, 11:40 am

Voted for this. Now the wait begins

Punnkins_Gaming said:

August 14th, 6:43 pm

You have my vote. But, please dont make this game free. Make it like $1.99 or something. Dont let this great game be thrown down into the “never heard of it” group.

meekboss said:

August 14th, 7:19 pm

Lmao you know by voting for it your voting to make it free right or have you not done any research at all maybe you should learn to read or research things before you act

meekboss said:

August 14th, 7:21 pm

If you don’t want this game to be free vote for something else the other games that aren’t in first place will have discounts

KosmoCrisis said:

August 14th, 9:44 pm

While I too loved Stick It To The Man, Grow Home gets my vote for being seemingly family friendly and potentially something I can play with the kiddos. Furthermore, the name is snappy and gets to the core of what this game is all about. A procedurally generated tree that grows toward our protagonists ticket home. Fascinating!

Roboghost321 said:

August 15th, 2:30 am

I vote for grow home and can you add multiplayer to grow home please.

isenberg said:

August 24th, 7:43 pm

you request multiplayer for a singleplayer game.
    you make me sad.

inSertCoiNoW said:

August 17th, 1:15 am

This is why I hate this new voting system. You put the decision for my next game in the hands of bunch of kids who will vote for a game just because its 3D (doesn’t mater if its only a square 3D) over 2 much better choices.
Go ahead kids, vote for your robot and have fun with it for 2 hours. Yep, if you haven’t red the gameplay is 2h 20m for the main story and 4h 28m Main + Extras… That is all. No replay value no multiplayer.

isenberg said:

August 24th, 7:42 pm

this vote system makes no sense. this game will be played by people not on playstation plus. so why not let everyone (who are also paying customers) vote for these games? isnt it enough that i play playstation, I have to pledge part of my income too? what is this, the catholic church?

StygianAgenda said:

September 4th, 8:38 am

I played Grow Home last night… WOW!!! I love this game!!!

Grow Home is one of the most original title-ideas I’ve played with in forever. It gave me a sense of “Super Mario 64 crossed with Jack and the Bean-Stalk, with a bot that has sea-legs like Captain Jack Sparrow”, as the only way I can describe it. Completely non-violent super-addictive fun!

I started playing the game around 7:30pm last night and didn’t put it down until 11:30pm, when I had to go to bed (to get up in time to go to work).

I initially was for the idea of voting, and I’m glad that I was. I voted for Grow Home, and it turned out to be way better than I even expected. Way to go, Sony! :)