PlayStation VR

Oct 02

Oct 02

Super Meat Boy Leaps Onto PS4, PS Vita on October 6th with New Soundtrack

Tommy Refenes's Avatar Posted by Team Meat

Hello, PlayStation fans! The day is almost upon us — on October 6th Super Meat Boy will finally come to PS4 and PS Vita as a cross buy title. As a thank you to the fans who have been so patient with us, Super Meat Boy is going to be free to download as part of October’s PS Plus lineup.

Super Meat Boy

For those of you that never played Super Meat Boy, you’re in for a real treat. You’re about to play a game with the best controls and level design this side of 1988. For those of you that have already had the joy (Pain?) of experiencing Meat Boy, you’ll notice that the soundtrack is different.

Long story short, we couldn’t secure the rights to include the old soundtrack with the release of the game on PS4 and PS Vita. Now don’t be too bummed because we had the opportunity to work with our favorite artists to re-score Super Meat Boy to celebrate its 5th Anniversary. Our dream team of artists consists of:

• Matthias Bossi and Jon Evans, known the world over as Ridiculon (whose most recent work includes The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth), provided the bulk of the soundtrack. They took care of The Forest, Hell, The Rapture, and The End, as well as the intro music and title screen. They also re-scored all of the cutscenes and miscellaneous ditties. Their work is always stellar and Super Meat Boy is no exception. Ready yourselves for some devilishly gruesome guitar work, my friends.
  • David “Scattle” Scatliffe of Hotline Miami fame used his unique moody style to create incredible tracks for The Hospital and the Salt Factory. His mastery will leave you wondering if the shakes you’re having are from the intense levels or the creepy/industrial bliss your ears are soaking in.
  • Laura Shigihara of Plants vs. Zombies renown scored The Cotton Alley in her style to give Bandage Girl’s levels a gentle, feminine touch that provides a fitting counterpoint to the hardest levels in the game.

That’s a pretty slick roster of artists. We were lucky enough that they were all friends of ours and fans of Super Meat Boy. Their passion and love for the game can be heard in the work they put into making the game sound amazing. We’re honored to have them on the team for this version of Super Meat Boy.

Super Meat BoySuper Meat Boy

Their marvelous soundtrack coupled with Jordan Fehr’s gross and satisfying SFX create an auditory masterpiece that complements Super Meat Boy like butter to lobster. But, talk is talk — your ears need to judge. We don’t want you to hear the whole soundtrack just yet; that special date is reserved for October 6th, but we’ll give a little taste of what’s to come. Below, you’ll find a link to the Hell Boss track. When you listen to it, you can hear that it burns with a seething intensity that is Hell in Super Meat Boy:

We’re excited for old fans, forgotten fans, and fans that don’t yet know that Super Meat Boy is their all time favorite game to join us October 6th on PS4 and PS Vita to celebrate Super Meat Boy’s 5th birthday in style!

Love,
Tommy and Edmund

P.S. The DualShock 4 glows red while you play Super Meat Boy. If you were on the fence before and this tidbit didn’t sway you, then I don’t know what I can do for you.

Add Your Own

OnTheBus666 said:

October 2nd, 7:19 am

Nice, this game is perfect for vita!

paulogy said:

October 2nd, 7:20 am

“The DualShock 4 glows red while you play Super Meat Boy.” SOLD!

( Well, I will already be getting this free with PlayStation Plus – THANK YOU – but if I didn’t have that I’d be :-)

SidNightwalker said:

October 2nd, 7:29 am

Broken Age is an excellent example of how to create a game that’s a little more beyond trial and error. That’s I’m actually excited for, as it will be a fine addition to my Plus library.

helbertpina said:

October 2nd, 7:35 am

Oh, man, I predict SO MANY Vita’s being smashed to bits soon… :P

helbertpina said:

October 2nd, 7:36 am

*Vitas, not Vita’s. Argh, we need an “edit post” option, guys…

dkarlowicz10 said:

October 2nd, 7:40 am

I have a PS4 but I can’t wait to play this on Vita.

CraddaPoosta said:

October 2nd, 7:45 am

I would care more about this title if it weren’t the flagship of October’s PS+ games. Couldn’t be more sick of indie titles. I appreciate that it’s a strong genre, and that a lot of gamers enjoy indie games, but any PS+ subscriber who’s had a paid subscription for more than a year has already received dozens and dozens and dozens of 99-cent shovelware games that enjoyed success on Steam, Android, iOS or as part of a Humble Bundle.

Look at the blog post about October’s PS+ additions. Count how many gamers are saying the exact same thing.

Sony has ridden this horse to the ground. It’s not Team Meat’s fault. But, now I know how it felt to be a gamer in 1983. I can’t wait for this obsession with indie games to finally run its course.

Superstone said:

October 2nd, 7:47 am

Thanks for supporting the vita

Fuhr31 said:

October 2nd, 7:50 am

I can’t see the back of the controller when I play games. Hope too much time wasn’t spent on that “feature”

langdon said:

October 2nd, 7:54 am

It says “don’t be a jerk” in capital letters. =/

Fuhr31 said:

October 2nd, 8:10 am

I’m sorry that you were somehow offended by my not being able to see the back of my controller. ?????

veryhoudini11 said:

October 4th, 1:23 am

do you not realize that light illuminates???? … thats the point of the feature.

kmtburton said:

October 2nd, 8:00 am

If it hadn’t been givin out I’d of bought it anyways. Been a long wait but I’m glad I’ll finally get to play SMB.

kmtburton said:

October 2nd, 8:06 am

Been a long wait but I’m glad to finally get to play this amazing looking game. Would have bought it regardless but thanks for giving it out free for our wait.

TinyTim2301 said:

October 2nd, 8:24 am

Who’s the stickler who wouldn’t let you guys use the original soundtrack? Was it Microsoft again or Danny himself?

Silver_shion said:

October 2nd, 8:49 am

Ok that song is sick .
Im sold.

ero619 said:

October 2nd, 9:01 am

Tuesday cant come song enough :) Is the game compatible with vita tv?

yellowchicken14 said:

October 2nd, 9:03 am

Great to have a version for the Vita too – and the new soundtrack is pretty awesome!

Vextalon said:

October 2nd, 10:02 am

This such a great addition to the Playstation family. Now for those that don’t have Playstation Plus anymore how much is this game going to be once it’s up on the store? I’m definitely going to grab it but I rather own then have it locked out once my subscription runs out.

death_nation100 said:

October 2nd, 10:13 am

Woah I’m liking the fact they found great music composers. Hotline Miami soundtrack are the best they deserve to win best soundtrack award thisd year.

DarthSmurfX said:

October 2nd, 10:14 am

Any news on a magical new feature that allows us to import our X360 saves to the PS4?!?! Please. Pretty please?!?! I am super far, and really, REALLY don’t want to start over.

– Signed DarthSmurfX’s DS4 controller

coffin_eder said:

October 2nd, 12:53 pm

smb have platinum trophy ?

DAROCK2300 said:

October 2nd, 2:05 pm

I’ve heard alot about this game and can’t wait to finally play it.

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

October 2nd, 2:33 pm

This game is amazing for the PS Vita..you know what other games would be amazzing..ALL OF THE PS3 TITLES! Shank..Blitz and NBA JAM for a PERFECT EXAMPLE! #JustSayin lol

spacemonkeyham said:

October 2nd, 3:59 pm

This game will be on my PS4 and Vita forever. Or until I go insane trying for the platinum,

oo7PorscheMGS said:

October 2nd, 6:40 pm

Heard a lot about this game over the years… Thanks for bringing it to ps4!!

Never played many indie / small games before a few years ago, but thanks to PS PLUS (and an open mind willing to try different stuff instead of COD + Destiny 24/7…) I’ve played some awesome stuff. :)

Welmosca said:

October 3rd, 1:10 am

You made the best hoice.

Welmosca said:

October 3rd, 1:10 am

*Choice

Akmaljon said:

October 2nd, 7:24 pm

Its free on ps+, and as a ps4 owner i am disappointed on PS+ line ups. nothing wrong with game its just how ps+ treats us. Tired of getting same kind of game. No offense tho.

Welmosca said:

October 3rd, 1:03 am

Vita hu?…nice one,since its cross-buy I will check this out on the Vita.And reading the comments looks like this game is pretty hard.Well thats a big surprise and a pleasant one…game may just have ma interest.

XrosBlader821 said:

October 4th, 5:44 am

The new soundtrack sounds freaking amazing!
Will the digital soundtrack be available on Windows store in Europe like the previous was?

TO_RULEZ said:

October 4th, 6:03 am

played this on xbox 360 and i have not been so mad at game since playing super mario the original and being stuck at the final bowser castle. Cant wait to play it on ps4

Aerol901 said:

October 6th, 9:24 pm

The new soundtrack is pretty horrible, and doesn’t fit the game. They really should have worked out a deal with the original composer.

See the “Street Fighter” sequence at the beginning of the game for a prime example of how the new music kills the mood.

Purgatories said:

October 11th, 9:09 am

Great that it’s free, I’m so disappointed about the OG soundtrack. I knew something was off.

AutomaticOcelot said:

October 22nd, 1:06 pm

Thanks Tommy, good luck with the launch… oh wait it’s PS+ collection, congrats on the enormous novelty cheque? ;)

I’m glad that more Meatboy music exists. Professional differences are what they are. Customers can still choose another platform.