PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Oct 22

Oct 22

Introducing Volume: Coda, Free Expansion for PlayStation VR

Mike Bithell's Avatar Posted by Designer

Hi, Mike Bithell here. It’s been two months since the launch of Volume on PlayStation and — thanks to your overwhelming support of the game — I’m happy to announce an expansion for Volume coming first to PlayStation VR at launch — Volume: Coda.

Volume: Coda

Volume: Coda picks up after the events of the core game. I’ll avoid spoilers here, but you’ll play as a new character, brought in as a last resort by the villains hurt most by Locksley’s revolution. The new campaign features 30 new levels, a new cast of voice actors adding new characters to the story, and a new VR setting as players take on the role of The Troubleshooter.

Volume: Coda is a free expansion to Volume. When the PlayStation VR platform launches next year (Nope, they won’t tell me when either), you’ll be able to play the Coda expansion and Volume’s core campaign in VR. You’ll also have access to all the user generated levels and, of course, the curated Staff Picks section where we highlight the best levels designed by the community.

Volume: Coda

By the time you read this, the PS4 version of Volume will be patched in all available regions with the Checkpoints Update. The original design of Volume was heavily sided to speedrunners. The Checkpoints Update has added new modes and leaderboards for players seeking pure stealth or simply a more challenging experience. Now the different communities on PlayStation can compete against similar players on their own custom leaderboards.

Oh, and one more thing… in celebration of the Checkpoints Update, Volume is on sale for PS4 at 30% off through November 4th.

That was a lot of ground to cover. tl;dr: the Vita version of Volume is still coming and is still cross buy, PS4 now has the Checkpoints Update and more leaderboards, Volume is on sale, and I’m looking forward to sharing more about Volume: Coda leading up to the launch of PlayStation VR next year.

Add Your Own

PanTheMan16 said:

October 22nd, 7:43 am

Glad to see that people are already supporting Morpheus. We don’t want to to suffer a quick death like other peripherals/platforms.

Exebiel said:

October 22nd, 7:44 am

All right then I’ll purchase it, good news that the update will be available for all regions since I’m peruvian and I use the PS Store Perú. I can’t wait to use it with the PlayStation VR.

teflontactics said:

October 22nd, 7:50 am

Are we just skipping over the Vita version now?

G-Force08 said:

October 22nd, 7:55 am

“Where’s Volume for Vita? Well, it’s still happening and the game remains cross buy for PS4. We’ve hit some roadblocks, which slowed us down. Rushing out a weak port wasn’t an option, and I’m proud of what the team have managed to squeeze into that awesome little platform. Oh, and the Checkpoints Update is also absolutely included in the Vita version. Cannot wait for you folks to be able to check it out, and it doesn’t look like it’ll be too much of a wait.”

It was right there in the post.

teflontactics said:

October 22nd, 8:01 am

Was more of a comment on the idea that they’re moving on to other things before finishing it than an “it’s not coming”.

PirateDaveZOMG said:

October 22nd, 10:13 am

“Are we skipping it?” doesn’t sound like that kind of comment at all; it just sounds like you clearly didn’t read the article.

veryhoudini11 said:

October 22nd, 10:37 pm

yeah i dont think you understand what skipping means if that was your intention of the comment.

chavez1138 said:

October 22nd, 7:56 am

fine, I’ll buy Volume…

rickvargas said:

October 22nd, 7:59 am

This is great, I’m glad that you’re making an expansion built for PS VR rather than porting the main game over adn it not being developed for the VR platform. This is just good development. Also, cannot wait for that Vita version. It’s not a game if it’s not on Vita. ;)

MakaiOokami said:

October 22nd, 5:36 pm

I’m glad I checked the terrible reviews for the Overlord game. Since I’m not buying that I can grab this game, which I now am doing because of PS VR.

sealum01 said:

October 22nd, 8:05 am

Wow! I was always interested in this game, but with PSVR support, it will certainly jump in my queue of must-buy titles! I cannot wait to experience the world of Volume!

I also *love* the idea of free PSVR DLC. I was hoping that this would be the case for many developers looking to experiment with the medium, and I’m glad that Mr. Bithell is leading the charge!

MiguelitonsUS said:

October 22nd, 8:19 am

So that’s the reason why Volume on the Vita got delayed? Obviously you are concentrating on PlayStation VR now as this article is all about PlayStation VR. Why not finishing the PS Vita version before doing Playstation VR stuff? Don’t get it.

MakaiOokami said:

October 22nd, 6:02 pm

It costs money to put stuff through QA so it saves them from having to sell hundreds of extra copies (cross-buy limits maximum sales potential at the hope of getting fence sitters to buy it since htey don’t have to make a hard decision) just to break even with a couple QA patches.

I don’t know how much QA costs now a days but it used to cost a few grand every patch you did. Which is why games like Metal Gear Solid 4 had torrents to patch the game, as well as games like Final Fantasy XIV. PS4 acts more like a PC version and costs a lot less for QA, but we don’t know how much less or if the costs are completely mitigated… So…

While it might make people angry, will people really care once the version is actually released? Would it be better to release the game rushed, with game breaking bugs, and then patch in a ton of content after the fact while throwing thousands doing so? These are calculations that game developers have to deal with.

Thwip said:

October 22nd, 9:41 am

Unfortunately my (almost complete) initial playthrough of the game was marred by the death in the doorway bug, and I had a corrupt save file. I really enjoyed the game, but after the disheartening game crash, I decided to wait for the Vita version before trying again. Nice to hear it is still coming, along with the Coda VR update; is it safe to assume the bugs were patched as well?

paulogy said:

October 22nd, 9:59 am

Wow, now that’s the kinda update I like to hear, Mike! More Volume, a sale, VR talk, AND Vita? Love it.

Will the VR portion be in first person or third person? Either could be very interesting :-)

cusman said:

October 22nd, 2:01 pm

I have the game, but haven’t got around to trying it out yet. Too much backlog to clear still. Will definitely give it a try if I pick up PlayStation VR / Morpheus

Pogsta said:

October 22nd, 9:43 pm

Wow VR as well! Boom sold!!
Congrats on working hard, being brave, one of the first to come to VR and not forgetting the vita :)

cjhill1836 said:

October 23rd, 5:36 am

This is fantastic news Mike! I had been holding off on Volume until the Vita version released, but your confirmation that it’s arrival is imminent, in addition to the sale, and VR support has just pushed me over the edge. I’ll be picking up my copy shortly, can’t wait to give it a try on all three platforms, some of the bigger developers could learn a lot about game support and customer appreciation from you. Keep up the great work, can’t wait to see what you cook up next!