Knack 2

Jan 12

Jan 12

Not A Hero Launches February 2nd on PS4

John Ribbins's Avatar Posted by creative director, Roll7

Hello PlayStation.Blog readers! I’m John, creative director at Roll7 and I’m writing on this here blog because Not A Hero — our 2D, cover-based, side-scrolling shooter about a purple rabbit from the future — is coming to PS4, like real soon.

Not A Hero

So, what’s the story? Well, way back in 2012 when the internet was still in black and white and you had to get games on 3.5 inch floppy disks, Roll7 made a couple of prototypes in a simple game making tool called Clickteam Fusion. Through some kind of miracle/luck/timing, both of the games we made ended up getting signed.

One of those prototypes was OlliOlli, which we signed with PlayStation and which you probably played and destroyed your DualShock 4 in the process of learning nollie 360 hardflips. The other prototype was Ur Not A Hero, which we signed with Devolver Digital around the same time.

With OlliOlli, there was no way that development could continue in Clickteam Fusion, as the game needed to come to PS Vita and PS4. As such, we started from scratch in C++, and rebuilt the game from the beginning. We brought on a team, and in the end, a lot of people and a lot of hard work went into making OlliOlli the game it was.

Not A HeroNot A Hero

Not a Hero on the other hand was coming to PC first. We’d never really dreamed of making it a PS4 game. When OlliOlli launched and we went back to working on Not A Hero, we did it in Clickteam Fusion. Unlike OlliOlli, Not a Hero has always been a smaller, weirder, boutique game. We really wanted to keep it down-river.

For most of the development there were only two people working directly on the game: myself and Jake Hollands. Many other people put countless hours into making the game great, from QA to sound design, but at it’s core, Not A Hero was built by two people who basically didn’t sleep.

When it came to launch, we were so broken from a year of pretty much permanent late nights and working weekends that even thinking about getting the game onto another platform other than PC was beyond us! Not to mention the fact that it shouldn’t even be possible — Clickteam Fusion doesn’t even export to PS4!

Not A Hero

But after it’s awesome reception on PC, and seeing how much people loved Bunnylord and the Fun Club’s (ultra) violent antics, we were determined to get the game onto console. We started out on PlayStation with OlliOlli, and it seemed a shame that Not A Hero wasn’t there.

It’s been a challenge and we’ve had a number of false starts and epic fails, but I’m pleased to announce that, with the help of some excellent people and the support of Devolver Digital, Not A Hero is coming to PS4 on February 2nd, 2016!

Add Your Own

Mazyx said:

January 12th, 6:03 am

RaymondGilbert said:

January 12th, 6:06 am

Looks like a perfect fit for Vita ;)

jerrikoe said:

January 12th, 7:44 am

Preach!

gerneric123 said:

January 12th, 6:07 am

Another week, another cancelled Vita port.

MmaFanQc said:

January 12th, 7:47 am

and countless of gerneric123 whinning/trolling, yaawwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

WadeDanger said:

January 12th, 6:15 am

wasn’t this announced for vita too? is that still in the works, or has it been cancelled like the broforce port?

Loomer_Isaw2 said:

January 12th, 6:16 am

I didn’t buy this game on Steam as I was looking forward to play this on the Vita, and yet, there’s no mention of it. Is it cancelled?

gerneric123 said:

January 12th, 6:26 am

“With Remote Play …”

[I find that response annoying too]

dkarlowicz10 said:

January 12th, 5:59 pm

Can’t play remote play during my commute to work. Remote play only works at home, not on the road (on the train).

Meg_Kelly89 said:

January 12th, 6:22 am

So…Vita version? Is it cancelled? You mention it then only announce a PS4 release.

cjhill1836 said:

January 12th, 6:38 am

Great news! I’ve been waiting very impatiently for word on Not A Hero (: Thanks for keeping your PlayStation fans in mind! I’ve had such a great time with OlliOlli 1/2, I can’t wait to get my hands on your newest creation.

P.S. Put me on the list as desperately hoping for a Vita port too.

mthodmn101 said:

January 12th, 6:53 am

It is not coming to Vita… maybe Sony can step in again and help these hapless devs like with The Banner Saga

KillerBane91 said:

January 12th, 7:11 am

Can’t wait to play it! :D Hopefully you guys can bring it too vita in the future :)

virsox said:

January 12th, 7:17 am

I understand that Vita versions need to be cancelled, but what really annoys me is the lack of clear communication. All these blog posts are written in such a way that imply the Vita versions have never been announced. Why not clearly communicate with your fans? It’s much better to say “Vita version got cancelled, I’m sorry” than leave all Vita fans speculating.

virsox said:

January 12th, 9:50 am

And even worse, most often the developer is clear on their own website (like Roll7 is), but apparently they cannot be here in the “official communication channel”

Xanthus179 said:

January 12th, 7:37 am

Very cool. I’ve been wanting to try this one out just based on its outrageous trailer.

Mercenary09 said:

January 12th, 7:45 am

Hmm first Tuesday of the month huh. Might be free on PS+ then in Feb.

paulogy said:

January 12th, 9:01 am

Wow, sounds like quite an odyssey, but it’s very interesting to hear, and I’m glad the PS4 version is just around the corner. This was definitely a fun game to play at PAX East 2015, and if you guys were “broken” at the time, you sure fooled me :-)

cmdluke said:

January 12th, 9:54 am

Please bring this to vita!

Hakumen__ said:

January 12th, 10:31 am

Any news on the PS Vita version?

xarienne said:

January 12th, 11:08 am

Wow. Since I read this this morning (and inferred for myself that the Vita version is no longer planned), I’ve done my own version of The Five Stages of Grief.

I passed through Denial pretty quickly and moved on to Anger. Seem to have skipped right over Bargaining to Depression though.

Not ready for Acceptance.

Instead, back to Bargaining: SONY, please PLEASE step in to help with this(!). Like MANY others, I was REALLY looking forward to playing this on my beloved Vita. Please help.

(Also? I’m gonna have to agree with @virsox: I understand that the Devs have posted something on their own blog, addressing the Vita version. But it really wasn’t good Customer Service to not be upfront and open about the situation in your post here. All that did was make Vita fans even more unhappy than we would have been if you’d just stated it plainly.)

TheHerbinator75 said:

January 12th, 1:25 pm

So what will the initial price point be and will it be discounted for Playstation Plus users?

woojajg said:

January 12th, 1:49 pm

I would have bought this on Vita, before that version was cancelled.

dkarlowicz10 said:

January 12th, 6:02 pm

The developer said that they cancelled the game for Vita because it was incredibly hard. How can that be? Vita can play games like Killzone Mercenary and Uncharted GA (both games with higher graphics), a game like Not a Hero should not be harder to bring to Vita than those games.

nextleveltaken said:

January 13th, 5:15 pm

They said that to be nice. Sales of Vita games are either anemic or it could have to do with Sony quietly killing off the system. Sony treats it like the redheaded stepchild of the PS4. They should just lower prices of memory sticks already or let someone else manufacture them and drop the price of the system to squeeze out what last bit of sales they can.

Doppelgangergang said:

January 12th, 7:46 pm

This would have been a Day 1 Purchase for me.

No Vita Version just knocked it straight to my “Wait for PSPlus” list.

Can Sony give these guys an assist just like The Banner Saga?

Welmosca said:

January 13th, 10:08 am

Yeah this game screams Vita…if they bring it to Vita or PS3 I’m buyin if not then…just lament.

Nerofive4 said:

January 26th, 1:25 pm

Would have bought this for Vita, but little need for it on my PS4. Removed from wish/waitinglist.