PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Jan 14

Jan 14

Meet the Voice Actors of The Witness

Jonathan Blow's Avatar Posted by President, Thekla, Inc.

We’re a couple of weeks away from our release date, and we’ve just finished recording the last of the voice acting, which means it’s a good time to tell you about the actors!

The Witness deliberately riffs on several traditional elements of game design, and one of those elements is the classic audio log, where you are wandering along and you find a recording that was placed there by someone before.

The Witness has recordings like this, but let’s just say they are done in a highly non-traditional way. When you first encounter them you won’t find much in the way of answers, but, if you keep looking, you will eventually be able to piece together what’s going on.

The Witness

The WitnessThe Witness

These are the folks whose fine voicework you will hear in these recordings:

The Witness - Ashley Johnson Ashley Johnson, who you may know as Ellie from The Last of Us, or from her roles in Tales from the Borderlands and Infamous: First Light. She also plays the smartest person on the hit TV show Blindspot. You can find Ashley on Twitter here.
The Witness - Phil LaMarr Phil LaMarr, who I best know as Marvin from Pulp Fiction, but who you may know as Vamp in Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4, or as Ratbag from Shadow of Mordor. He also played Hermes in Futurama and Ollie Williams in Family Guy! You can follow his random musings here.
The Witness - Matthew Waterson Matthew Waterson, who played very English person Sir Lucan in The Order: 1886, and has recently acted in Fallout 4 and Halo 5. Check out Matthew’s amazing Sean-Connery-themed profile picture here.
The Witness - Terra Deva Terra Deva, an oft-performing musician, including recent hit single “At Night” with the Swiss group Shakedown (though she doesn’t play music in The Witness because we don’t have music in The Witness! She is acting!) and veteran of… The Mickey Mouse Club (among many other places)!! Terra’s Twitter is here.

I will warn you, though, that the story in The Witness, such as it is, is fairly subtle and happens mostly implicitly. You really have to explore and read between the lines to know what’s going on. So do not expect a traditional game story like The Last of Us or The Order! All that said, we are very happy to have these actors lending their talents to our game, and I look forward to release when you’ll see what we’ve been up to.

Add Your Own

Patsrule0316 said:

January 14th, 7:43 am

I’m so excited for this game. I can’t wait to play it. I wish you the best of luck, and thanks for the info on the voice actors.

porhawj2014 said:

January 14th, 8:07 am

ughh i am wondering why they didn’t tell me us the price of this game

sealum01 said:

January 14th, 8:10 am

Wow! What a cast! I didn’t even know that the game *needed* voice actors, but now I am even more intrigued at what the mysterious game has in store. I cannot wait for the 26th!

BrianMcGuinness said:

January 14th, 8:11 am

Awesome. As a voice actor I like reading this stuff. I was lucky enough to do a few small parts in Until Dawn and I had a blast. Let me know if you guys need me for Witness 2!

Also, I had NO IDEA LaMarr did Ratbag though! Ha.

dashmasha said:

January 14th, 8:36 am

I’m ashamed to admit I’ve played well over a 1000 hours of Destiny. I’m half way through Fallout 4. I pre-ordered The Division… but as soon as I get this game I’m dropping everything. I CAN’T BLOODY WAIT. I’ve been waiting so long and I’m getting it ASAP. I Just want to explore and do puzzles while stopping to admire the view and take another sip of my coffee. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS GAME. It’s my most anticipated game, alongside Uncharted 4, No Man’s Sky and Horizon. I’m seriously counting the friggin’ days.

epicnate932 said:

January 14th, 9:22 am

I love Ashley Johnson!! Shes an amazing voice actress. I think her best work is When she did The Last of Us.

Seluhir said:

January 14th, 9:24 am

This is one of those games that I really wish gave me the option to see the character I was controlling. I’d be so all over this type of subtle puzzle game if not for that one hurdle. First person is just so… game-breaking for me. Just destroys my connection to the experience.

Oh well, there are plenty of other games out there.

AizawaYuuichi said:

January 17th, 12:27 am

Just to offer a suggestion, if you’re interested in this type of game, you should check out The Talos Principle. It actually allows you to switch between 1st and 3rd person, as well as which shoulder the camera is over while in 3rd person mode. I don’t know if the game makes it clear it has the option, so I thought I’d let you know. It’s a similar, amazing (imo) puzzle game. Happy trails. :)

mnep99 said:

January 14th, 9:26 am

You had me at “Ashley Johnson”.

Welmosca said:

January 14th, 10:55 am

Damn this game looks really beautiful…its pure beauty.Can’t wait to see it in ma screen with those vibrant colors.It’ll be quite a sight to behold.

BTW I didn’t know Ashley Johnson was on 1st light…who exactly did she played there?

teh_pwner said:

January 14th, 12:29 pm

Jenny. The girl who helps Fetch.

The_Dukie85 said:

January 14th, 12:14 pm

This game is soooooo pretty. I need it bad.

paulogy said:

January 14th, 2:54 pm

Well done, Jon! Very interested in seeing (or I suppose, hearing) how these fine talents have been put to good use :-). It won’t be long now…

Wozman23 said:

January 14th, 3:03 pm

Really psyched for the release. Hope Phil LaMarr uses a voice similar to one from Futurama so I can pretend this is just a really weird episode and the series wasn’t cancelled. Oh… I made myself sad.

siriusbee said:

January 14th, 5:10 pm

Thanks for sharing, and excited to play the game! But, um…aren’t you cutting it a little close? How have you just finished recording, and the game is supposed to come out in a couple of weeks? I mean, doesn’t Sony’s certification process take a bunch of time and stuff? Just curious.

AizawaYuuichi said:

January 18th, 12:21 pm

In the first sentence he says they’re “a couple weeks away from release”, so I’m guessing this post was written around the beginning of the month, and the Blog is just posting it now.
    Also, from the way it sounds the voice work will be in the game, they could have completely made the game, including whatever triggers the audio logs, then just append the dialogue to them later once it was recorded, so not a huge surprise. I’m sure everything is fine and it’ll release on schedule. We should have heard about a delay by now.

death_nation100 said:

January 15th, 1:33 pm

Did he just mentioned that stupid FPS game from that other systems ? YOU’RE FIRED !!!

Aero_Guardian17 said:

January 16th, 11:52 am

I cannot wait for The Witness. It’s been on my list for a long time now. Its visual style and gameplay look fantastic. The only thing I’m worried about is the price. I’m hoping it will be $15. It’s up there with Uncharted 4, Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst, No Man’s Sky, and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Only 10 more days to go!

SharonBTaylor said:

January 17th, 6:06 am

My last month paycheck was for 11000 dollars… All i did was simple online work from comfort at home for 3-4 hours/day that I got from this agency I discovered over the internet and they paid me for it 95 bucks every hour…Try it yourself… Earnmore9.com