God of War

Feb 02

Feb 02

Dirt Rally on PS4: 10 Things You Probably Didn’t Know

Paul Coleman's Avatar Posted by Chief Games Designer, Dirt Rally

Hi, I’m Paul Coleman. I’m the Chief Games Designer on Dirt Rally and I’m also a rally co driver when I’m not making games. Dirt Rally is a labor of love for me and the development team — and our passionate community has been very vocal in their requests for us to bring the game to PS4.

Dirt Rally on PS4

So I’m incredibly excited that we’re bringing Dirt Rally to PS4 in April, and you can all start setting those leaderboard-topping stage times.

For starters, let’s cover 10 things you probably didn’t know about Dirt Rally.

1. We record the co driver calls live in a D-Box motion seat while the stage is being driven. This maximizes the sense of speed and impact in the co driver’s voice. We even use a Stilo crash helmet and intercom system to make sure that the recording sounds as authentic as possible.
  2. Our level design team have had their fair share of adventures while away on their research trips. They’ve trodden on tarantula nests, been bitten by hornets, and have even been chased by angry Finnish farmers brandishing pitch forks.
  3. Our vehicle artists go into so much detail when they are modelling the vehicle interiors that they even capture the hand and finger prints that are left there by the vehicle owners.
  4. We have a selection of special Daily Events that reference things we teased on social media prior to launch. Keep an eye out for the #ThrowbackThursday event…
  5. The WWGFD? Trophy is actually a reference to one of our Community Members called Greg Flinchbaugh. When we were in the early stages of developing Dirt Rally, Greg posted an awesome response when we asked “What do you like best about rally?” From that point onwards we always asked ourselves — What would Greg Flinchbaugh do?
  6. Watch out for local wildlife crossing the road on some stages. You can see a fox in Wales, a squirrel in Finland, and a moose in Sweden.
  7. Neil Cole who does the voiceover for the Rallycross spotter is actually one of the presenters of the FIA World Rallycross broadcast. He spends most of the race weekend in the spotters tower doing post race interviews.
  8. The driver model in the game is actually Jon Tucker who worked with us as our vehicle handling consultant during the development of Dirt Rally. The co driver model is based on me because I also voice the co driver calls in game.
  9. One of the working titles for Dirt Rally was Dirt Pulse.
  10. If you look closely you’ll find a queue for one of the toilets in the Sweet Lamb Fan Zone in Wales. We do love queuing in Britain.

Dirt Rally on PS4Dirt Rally on PS4

Add Your Own

IGamer5000 said:

February 2nd, 4:34 am

I AM SO FREAKING IN! My only recent interactions with Rally is I only have one viable game, and that’s GTA V; which should either make you sad, or happy. Low bar in comparison to Sega Rally, or for that matter, Rally Cross. Let’s not forget Gran Turismo 2. If it’s good I’m buying!

Fliparto said:

February 2nd, 12:49 pm

I invite you to check out rally sport 2 for Xbox (original).

SaviorMachine said:

February 2nd, 5:01 am

YES. Rally isn’t popular where I live, but it’s my favorite variety auto racing, hands down. I’d been eyeing Dirt Rally in Early Access for months, now it approaches my platform of choice, yee-haaaa

amirpro2 said:

February 2nd, 5:28 am

I’m a big fan of the Dirt series… and I’ve played both Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 on the PS3.
Paul, are there any major graphics improvements from last-gen Dirt games? (I’ve read Dirt Rally is using the same Ego 3.0 engine as Grid 2 which was released on last-gen consoles)

Paul Coleman's Avatar

Paul Coleman said:

February 2nd, 6:47 am

We are using an evolution of the Ego engine that has its heritage in the DiRT and Grid series. I think there is a decent improvement in how things look but we have really focused on hitting 60fps to ensure the game plays as smoothly as possible. As a result it’s perhaps not as big a leap forwards visually as you may be expecting.

PatricioUSA said:

February 2nd, 5:54 am

One thing I know is that I got it for 30$ on Steam…

Scotty101 said:

February 14th, 1:36 pm

Paul… You mentioned hitting the target of 60fps to ensure smooth gameplay. Any idea what graphics setting the Ps4 version will match up against the pc version? Low…Medium…High or Ultra.

SumGuy-_- said:

February 2nd, 5:56 am

Glad that it’s coming out on other platforms. Will the PS4 version get a special treatment though? Will we at least be able to use our Logitch Driving Force GT wheels for a change?

aoune007 said:

February 2nd, 7:18 am

Soooo glad I can get some kind of a sim game on the PS4. I consider Drive Club to be an Arcade Sim because of the tracks and the AI. I truly hope this would be an incredible experience because 1) Seems like a proper simulation game, 2) My first ever rally game in a looooooong time, and 3) My first ever DiRT Game. So, get in! Also, will this be available as a physical disc on release, or is it just on store online? Anyone?

Paul Coleman's Avatar

Paul Coleman said:

February 2nd, 8:13 am

It will be available both as a physical disc and digitally.

Kendenius said:

February 2nd, 9:49 am

Looks good. What wheels are supported by the PS4 version?

Paul Coleman's Avatar

Paul Coleman said:

February 2nd, 11:07 am

From personal experience I can confirm that the Logitech G29 and Thrustmaster T300RS & T500RS are supported but I know that we have a much bigger list than that. Keep an eye out for a more detailed list in the near future.

Kendenius said:

February 4th, 4:22 am

Please ask Sony and Logitech to get their act together and support older wheels as well. Why would anyone buy Logitech G29 when it will be unsupported in a couple of years like they did with G27.

TytheFly86 said:

February 6th, 1:40 am

I would also be very interested to know about wheel support. I have a Fanatec Gt2 with csr elite pedals and would be a buyer if they were supported on ps4 like it is with Project cars. If not I’m going to have to wait to build a new pc to be able to run it equivalent or better than the ps4 can. Please support this wheel, I know it can be done as ‘Slightly mad Studios’ is half the developer you guys are at Codemasters.. Please don’t let me down, I love rally!

siriusbee said:

February 2nd, 11:19 am

What month is this? February, right?

herbalsticky said:

February 2nd, 11:50 am

Bought this on steam early access. ‘Twas really cool to watch the game grow to where it is now. The physics of car handling is fairly realistic. I would definitely recommend it on PC if you’ve got a good video card.

JewFroGerman said:

February 2nd, 12:32 pm

Yay! Bought this on steam a week or so after it’s Early Access and seeing the game’s growth and progression was amazing! Great game guys! Only downside is the graphics got a little heftier so I can no longer run it with 60 FPS on my preferred settings. The game is phenomenal though so I have no qualms in purchasing it again on PS4 to support you guys! Just one question, do you know what FPS the game will be running on PS4?

Paul Coleman's Avatar

Paul Coleman said:

February 2nd, 12:46 pm

We are confident of achieving our target of 60fps at 1080P

Naberios said:

February 2nd, 1:23 pm

No offense to you, but it would have been nice to be given a choice of co-driver like in Dirt 3. I thought that was a nice touch.

Paul Coleman's Avatar

Paul Coleman said:

February 3rd, 1:20 am

We’ve made the co driver calls much more detailed than we ever have before and as a result the amount of calls more than doubled compared to previous projects. When you factor in the different languages that we also support it meant that having multiple choices was not really an option.
    It is something that a lot of people have asked for though so its something we will aim to improve upon in the future.

Sevesodier said:

February 2nd, 4:09 pm

can’t wait…first wrc5, then Sebastian Loeb, and now this which seems like it will be the best game of those 3…good time to be a rally fan :)

duffyboy1986 said:

February 2nd, 6:52 pm

Hey Paul. Will we get a demo?

Paul Coleman's Avatar

Paul Coleman said:

February 3rd, 1:24 am

Hi, there are currently no plans for a demo.

Paul Coleman's Avatar

Paul Coleman said:

February 3rd, 1:22 am

Wow… if this is for real I should quit my job as a game designer!

TufoBR said:

February 3rd, 3:06 am

Love this series, can’t wait to play this on my PS4!

MONEYCLIP817 said:

February 3rd, 6:27 am

Already pre-ordered my copy. Just got the T300 racing wheel for PS4 as well. I’m super excited to play your game!

greedy_fly_x said:

February 3rd, 7:12 am

So so happy that we’re getting this on the PS4. I was going to go for WRC 5 for my rally racing fix but will definitely be holding out for this.

jrhames said:

February 4th, 2:07 pm

Anyone actually knows what was the awesome answer Greg gave about what he loved the most about rally?

Andre_PSID said:

February 7th, 10:08 am

I’ve been playing this since Early Access on Steam on a pad, and just recently I got a G29 for my beloved PS4.. Can’t wait to be able to record some share moments and sent over a bunch of friends who are totally unaware of this project on consoles.

I really appreciate this game taking over the crowd left by RBR. Really great game and can’t wait to play it like crazy on my big screen.

PC is great and all, but consoles are much nicer to play and easier to set up.

ninjahatory said:

February 22nd, 2:20 pm

Can you please make logitech G27 work with this game on PS4 ? Playing with the controller will not make justice to the game :(

McRenasUS said:

February 23rd, 12:33 pm

The support of Driving Force GT is crucial. If there is support i will definitely buy this awesome looking sim racing. There are hundrends of people with this logic, because probably the game with the controller will not be easy to play (this is standar for all sim racing games)