God of War

Mar 09

Mar 09

Thumper is Unleashing Rhythm Hell on PlayStation VR

Marc Flury's Avatar Posted by Drool, Co-founder

This is Marc from Drool with an update on Thumper, our rhythm violence game on PS4. In Thumper, you are a space beetle hurtling towards a maniacal giant head. The gameplay and controls are stripped-down and simple, so it’s easy to pick up and play. We’ve worked hard to make Thumper accessible and fun for both hardcore rhythm gamers and more casual action game fans.

But as you delve deeper into Thumper, it won’t be easy. Our focus on simplicity lets us push the sense of speed and physicality to extremes you’ve never felt in a rhythm game before. Before you know it, you’ll be careening through an onslaught of winding tracks, obstacles, enemies, and bosses. Check out our latest trailer for a glimpse of unrelenting “rhythm hell” from one of our advanced levels. And let us know what you think!

In the trailer, if you look closely, you’ll notice some new gameplay mechanics you’ll need to master. In early levels, your movement is limited to a single high-speed lane. But as the difficulty rises, you’ll slide and skitter across multiple lanes of rhythmic cues and obstacles. We’re still fine-tuning the controls and feel of multi-lane gameplay, but we’re psyched about the unique and brutal gameplay we can create with it. It’s expanded our level design palette and now we’re developing lots of new ways to kill you!

Finally, Thumper is not only debuting on PS4. It’s also coming to PlayStation VR. To be honest, at first we weren’t sure whether Thumper would be a good fit for VR. We’ve spent the past few years obsessed with making Thumper the most intense two-dimensional experience possible. Wouldn’t a VR version be too intense? Well, against our better judgement, we recently got the game running on PS VR just to see. We can confirm that not only is it intense, it’s completely overwhelming!

Thumper on PS4Thumper on PS4

Developing for PS VR has been so exciting because Thumper’s gameplay translates perfectly and feels amazing on high frame rate display. At the same time, VR transforms the experience in ways we didn’t expect. We’ll have more to say about Thumper VR soon, but one thing is for sure: the entire game will be playable in both 2D and VR.

Whether you play on a massive TV and sound system or fully immerse yourself with PlayStation VR, you’ll feel the rhythm violence when Thumper debuts later this year.

Add Your Own

Wozman23 said:

March 9th, 8:42 am

I’ve been entranced since the reveal. Can’t wait!

Resetti said:

March 9th, 8:47 am

Wow!! I have been looking forward to the PS4 release and am now excited about VR because of the reveal for Thumper VR! This is so awesome!! Congratulations on developing for VR. I’m looking forward to smashing up some high scores on both platforms!

DJKiller57 said:

March 9th, 9:02 am

Wow, looks awesome! I’ve been playing a lot of Amplitude lately and this looks as, if not, more intense… Wondering how you control the beetle though. Using the left stick or L1 and R1 for turns? It’s hard to tell. Can’t wait to try!

Marc Flury's Avatar

Brian Gibson said:

March 9th, 9:19 am

Thanks!! Yes, you steer the beetle with the left stick, and if you hold X you go into a slide, which allows you to safely bank into sharp turns, by using the X and stick in combination.

Logan22 said:

March 9th, 9:11 am

REZ vs Thumper

I_am_rushin said:

March 9th, 9:17 am

Wow, awesome!

I remember the original blog post announcement and thinking your game looks and, more importantly, sounds really cool. Now that it’s VR it has become a must buy for me.

Sony please give us the PS VR release date!

dmfarris90 said:

March 9th, 9:58 am

Mark your calendar for March 15th, Sony is holding a PSVR press conference, to kick off GDC. I am right there with ya! #GreatnessAwaits

Subhawk15 said:

March 9th, 9:35 am

I played this as PlayStation experience, not usually into rhythm games, but this kept me entranced for awhile. With it being announced on PSVR I am definitely excited for it. it will be an experience.

Dethfuse said:

March 9th, 1:59 pm

I played the demo at a Bestbuy store and the game was a blast. Had multiple people walking by ask me what game I was playing. It is incredibly visually stunning and fast paced. Also had really good music. Very glad to see it coming to PSVR and I’ll definitely be picking it up for PS4 and PSVR. Any chance is getting the soundtrack released separately as well?

Marc Flury's Avatar

Brian Gibson said:

March 9th, 2:54 pm

Thanks for checking it out! Glad you had a blast with the demo! Yes, there will be a soundtrack and we’ll have more to say about that soon.

ciervo-ss said:

March 9th, 2:10 pm

Looks amazing! Will the game feature any Lightning Bolt song (maybe as a bonus track) ??

Marc Flury's Avatar

Brian Gibson said:

March 9th, 3:23 pm

Thanks!!! ‘A discerning listener will detect the threads of Lightning Bolt in it, particularly from it’s rhythmic and sonic intensity. But the Thumper soundtrack emerges from the gameplay in it’s own unique way, and so will be something entirely it’s own.

Deejmodin said:

March 9th, 5:27 pm

This looks insane. Can’t wait to melt my brain playing this in VR!!

Xdark_dragonX said:

March 9th, 5:49 pm

First off lemme just get this out of the way: WOWW!!!! awesome!!! you guys killed it for sure!

I was wondering if this will be 1080p @ 60 fps on ps4 and is there any plan for bringing this to our beloved Vita?

Marc Flury's Avatar

Marc Flury said:

March 9th, 6:55 pm

Thanks! Yes, when you play in 2D mode, it will be at 1080p / 60fps. Of course, we want both the 2D and VR modes to be as beautiful as possible.

MrGreenPSN said:

March 9th, 5:53 pm

This effing looks fantastic. I LOVE the art style. It doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen before. Major kudos to the team! Can’t wait to experience this in VR!

plaztiksyke said:

March 10th, 3:33 pm

since you’ll be supporting VR, can you please also support stereo 3D on 3D TVs/projectors? There are plenty of PS VR demos where I am fine, but some games (like RIGS) make me sick after ~10 minutes of hardcore play. None of the stereo 3D titles on PS3 or PS4 ever made me sick, so I’d really like the option.

Marc Flury's Avatar

Marc Flury said:

March 10th, 10:42 pm

Everyone is different of course, but so far we’ve seen very little simulation sickness during our play tests. It’s definitely a major concern for us. So hopefully Thumper VR will be fun and comfortable for you.

Having said, that we’ll look into stereo 3D!

PanTheMan16 said:

March 10th, 9:07 pm

Yeah, they’re going to do it because one person in the world is still interested. You can play either 2D or VR. The rest of us are satisfied with that.

Axecution said:

March 12th, 11:01 am

Im honestly so excited for this

I second the 3DTV support btw <3 Would be awesome!

MATTKBAN said:

March 13th, 6:09 am

You had me at psychedelic ;O The music is perfect for this craving I didn’t know I needed in my life. Make. Me. Seize. -_-