PlayStation VR

Apr 15

Apr 15

Doom: PS4 Open Beta Live Today, Weapons Guide

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

Since the Doom open multiplayer beta runs on PS4 from April 15 to 17, it seemed smart to report the experiences I had during last month’s early access period that opened up for owners of (the excellent) Wolfenstein: The New Order on PS4.

Given the historic influence of Doom’s classic arsenal, I thought it might be best to focus on detailing the firepower awaiting beta players come April 15. Read on for my quick thoughts, and chime in on the comments below if you’ve given the beta a whirl.

DOOM Open Beta

Heavy Machinegun

One of the most balanced weapons on the Doom battlefield, and the digital scope helped manage long-distance relationships. It’s not fancy, but it’s effective.

Super Shotgun

The cornerstone of any Doom or Quake game, and I’m pleased to report that it’s effective as hell in the Doom beta. The mod fire tightens the spread of the buckshot, making it a perfect choice for close encounters.

Plasma Rifle

Perhaps my favorite weapon from the private beta — it’s just so satisfying. And the mod fire is one of the best, a grenade-like projectile that splashes damage over time.

Rocket Launcher

One of the most powerful weapons of the beta, though ammo is scarce so every shot counts. Possesses a super-useful mod firing mode that detonates the rocket on command using L2. Kablammo!

Static Rifle

A novel, unique weapon that grows stronger with movement. Fully charged, the Static Rifle inflicts more damage per shot than any other gun.

Vortex Rifle

I’m not great with sniper rifles, but I’ve seen other Doom beta players make great use of this precise weapon. You can increase the damage by charging up its mod fire (hold R2).

Lightning Gun

Plucked straight out of Quake, this weapon emits a devastating shaft of electricity. Trigger the mod fire (R2) to spread the pain to multiple opponents.

Ready to dive in? Here’s a quick rundown from our friends at Bethesda with more info on this weekend’s open beta:

If you were unable to join us for our recent Doom closed multiplayer beta, you’re in luck! From April 15 through 17, you’ll be able to jump straight into the open beta – no code necessary. Simply download the beta and let the viscera fly.

Preload the beta now by following these steps:

1. Go to the PlayStation Store
  2. Search for ‘DOOM’
  3. Select ‘DOOM Open Beta’ from the search result list
  4. Click the ‘Download’ button.

It’s as easy as that. Once the beta kicks off at 12am ET / 9am PT, you’ll be able to hop right into two 6v6 modes – Team Deathmatch and Warpath – on the Heatwave and Infernal maps.

With access to new weapons like the Vortex Rifle, and Doom classics like the Super Shotgun, you’ll have a blast putting your opponents in their place. Be the one to reach the Demon Runes in each mode first and walk a mile in the Revenant’s shoes as you tear your foes apart with its brutal rocket launcher.

For more on the open beta, check out the FAQ section of the beta site, where you’ll find more details on the content of the beta and how you can share your experience.

Add Your Own

jedijms said:

April 15th, 9:49 am

I was actually playing the Open Beta last night EST time. Pretty fun so far.

death_nation100 said:

April 15th, 9:51 am

The Beta started back on Monday .

boopiebear2 said:

April 17th, 4:20 am

It wasn’t open, it was downloadable. The servers weren’t up for actual gameplay until the 15th. Lol.

opikal said:

April 15th, 10:18 am

I wish we could remove beta’s/demo’s from our library…

Kaznasty- said:

April 15th, 11:00 am

I second this!

Trendy_Kid said:

April 15th, 12:50 pm

Yes. Between what I’ve played and what I own, my library is beyond cluttered!!

CrusaderForever said:

April 15th, 10:24 am

Downloading now!

D-Squad3 said:

April 15th, 10:33 am

too many games to play!

leptonic said:

April 15th, 5:26 pm

Like allways dude… gaming industry is consuming our souls and our wallets!

D-Squad3 said:

April 16th, 3:15 am

For real

Dark Souls 3
    R&C
    Battleborn Beta
    Doom Beta
    etc.

boomstickbhg said:

April 15th, 11:02 am

Played some last night.

I’m not usually a big fan of MP. I’m also typically not very good in MP shooters.

That being said, Doom MP was fun. Even dying was fun. As much as I’m going to buy the game for the single player, it’s good to see the MP has the Doom feel.

kuhadan-86 said:

April 15th, 11:09 am

It seems Bethesda team read my comment about the closed beta XD and now they finally released the open beta that is a clever decision (^_^) now… sales gonna increase if they do a good product to purchase of course.

PanTheMan16 said:

April 15th, 12:52 pm

Yep, it’s all because of you.

tusunami said:

April 15th, 12:43 pm

For a AAA game the graphics are not great at all.

LEFFEBEER said:

April 15th, 4:02 pm

Not just me who thought the graphics were poor then.

When you see the men run it looks like their feet aren’t on the ground. Bit Scooby Doo like.

Might dodge this one.

navcomm81 said:

April 15th, 6:23 pm

Deleted that beta pretty quickly. I still prefer to play original DOOM and DOOM II on my PC. Don’t like the visuals in new one, or the feeling of running around. And what’s up with R1 to change weapons? Seriously, who thought that one up?

Akmaljon said:

April 16th, 12:40 am

Agree, tried 2 rounds and deleted. Due to stuns they messed up buttons. And no aim either.

gobucks34 said:

April 16th, 10:45 pm

I mean I would think you can change button alignment… Seems like a minor issue.

boopiebear2 said:

April 17th, 4:24 am

R1 weapon changes are def wired and took me awhile to remember. I still press triangle out of the usual FPS habit. Lol.

Welmosca said:

April 18th, 12:04 pm

@ Everyone – Sometimes its good and even useful to go on settings and check out the options the game gives to ya.For example on Doom beta a “classic” option for controls where it lets you switch weapons on triangle.

SchnitzelXx said:

April 15th, 11:17 pm

Does anyone know if I get to keep the character and unlocks after the beta, or do I have to start over when I purchase the full game?

Akmaljon said:

April 16th, 12:39 am

Nope, I didn’t liked much. I understand past generation doom didn’t had aim, but today multiplayer without aim is not fun for me. All gun should have aim.

BathoryBlaze said:

April 16th, 6:23 am

I played one match of each game type and then deleted this. Once again, it would be nice to remove icons from my library. I would chalk this up to me just not being a big pvp fan and still go for the single players… However, I feel like these character models are a joke. They belong in a kids game. Looks like you stole them right out of Halo.

JumpMan33 said:

April 16th, 8:39 am

Please make a Quake game that plays like Quake 3 with no load-outs and perks. Its been over ten years since we had a real Quake game, Q3 is still my favorite 1v1 shooter to watch and play to this day.

VinsanityV21 said:

April 16th, 11:15 am

I’m pumped for Doom, but not for the multiplayer. It’s… fine. It’s odd, but it can be fun for sure – at least for a short time. It just seems like a weird thing. Doom was never known for multiplayer; this is clearly some sort of mea culpa to me. Like “Sorry, we know Quake’s been M.I.A. for too long. Here, have some Quake in your Doom. Also, everyone looks like Master Chief for some reason” :) And, it’s odd. The modern loadout stuff < classic Weapon pickups. But it's a solid arena shooter at it's core. And with SnapMaps it could turn into something cool over time.

I'm pumped for Doom for the single player. I would love to see Quake get rebooted next, Bethesda. Go back to the original Quake universe – not the soldiers vs. the Strogg, the cool original universe from 1 and 3. The people getting thrown in into that Gothic, Lovecraftian nightmare world filled with Monsters? Yeah, let the Wolfenstein guys at Machine Games reboot THAT Quake, and you will have my money :D

ChevyNovaLN said:

April 16th, 1:34 pm

Doom was never known for multiplayer? Maybe you didn’t grow up in the age before the internet. It was never more than 1 v 1, but multiplayer it was. All of my friends bought modems for their PCs if they didn’t have a 9600 baud or better back in the 90s and we’d direct-dial eachothers computers and have battles on Doom2 and later Duke Nukem 3D. One of the first multiplayer games I ever played was Doom2 and because of it… our phone line was busy 95% of the time.

I definitely had more time in the Single player though. And I agree that Quake should be next. I have Doom 3 on PC and i liked it alot, will be interesting to see what the single player for this new DOOM is gonna be….

Brian

Ujn said:

April 18th, 9:03 am

Glad I was able to get in a couple rounds of the Open Beta as I was never able to play the Closed Beta due to a bug that never let me Accept the EULA. Good thing too, because now I know not to ever buy this game. Looked and played like a F2P Mobile Game. Nothing like “DOOM” at all. Really weird. No idea who would be willing to spend $60 on this game? Yikes.

Welmosca said:

April 18th, 12:00 pm

Played the beta this weekend and damn I must say I was very surprised with it,not only because the online is good but because its so well-made that it made me smile countless times just by navegating the menus and checking out ma unlocked items.Moreover its fun as hell…really old-school with no health regeneration,pickups and no aim down the sights,ha reminds me a lot of PS1 days.Also its really different because its fast-paced as hell…after the E3 they had me sold for that SP but now that I tried the online ha this Doom is a MUST buy.SP is always more important but getting the complete package is incredible.

I just hope they optimize the game properly for PS4.Ma PS4 went crazy all the times I fired up the beta and by crazy I mean making insanely loud noises that I had never seen before in any game…it looked like it was about to explode and I only had to quit the beta and the PS4 would go as silently as a mute.