PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Apr 29

Apr 29

The Ratchet & Clank Movie Hits Theaters Today

Greg Phillips's Avatar Posted by Senior Producer, SIE

So as all of you hopefully know by now, the Ratchet & Clank movie hits theaters today. The game based on the movie (based on the game) launched on April 12 to rave reviews and has been our fastest selling Ratchet & Clank game to date.

However, what you may not know is some of the behind-the-scenes stories on how the movie came to be. As someone who has worked on every single Ratchet & Clank game (from the original, to the reimagining, to the film itself), I’d like to share a bit with you.

It started back in early 2013, the first test footage of what would become the Ratchet & Clank movie first began circulating the halls of Insomniac Games, eventually reaching myself and a number of others here at PlayStation. Even in its early form, it showed a tremendous amount of promise, and at that moment we all knew we might be sitting on something special.

The test footage was created by Rainmaker Films who, along with Blockade Entertainment, were keen to try and turn Ratchet & Clank into a theatrical feature. This test footage was their proof of concept — and it definitely opened some eyes.

The footage sparked conversation between Insomniac Games and me here at PlayStation about how cool it might be to have a game available when the movie came out. At the time we were finishing up the development of Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (an epilogue to the beloved Future trilogy of games), so it was a conversation with an eye to what we could do to have a game ready for the launch of the film.

Fast forward to January 2014 and one completed scene of the film was done. It was a sequence that occurs about 5 minutes into the film, where Ratchet shows an elderly old man how he upgraded his space craft in ways only Ratchet could.

Ratchet & Clank (The Movie!)Ratchet & Clank (The Movie!)

As soon as we all saw this scene, the movie went from “This has a lot of potential” to “Oh, wow, we’re gonna pull this off!” It was at that point discussions on the game picked up in earnest. The film was returning to the beginning to tell Ratchet’s origin story, and we decided we would do the same on the game side. The film was going to introduce Ratchet to an all new audience and our goal for the game was to try to do the same by celebrating everything that made previous Ratchet & Clank games great. After a short discussion, we realized we had the perfect way to unify the stories: by having the game narrated by the ever truthful, never would lie about a thing, Captain Qwark!

As the game and film continued to develop, it was great to see the collaboration between teams. Rainmaker would share early cuts of the film and a small group of people that included folks from Rainmaker, Insomniac Games, and myself would go over everything and suggest improvements. In fact, the room seen in this image is very similar to the room at Rainmaker where these meetings would happen.

Ratchet & Clank (The Movie!)

To close, even back when all we had was the initial footage of Ratchet & Clank running through an early version of the Metropolis level in the original PS2 game, we knew we had the making of something great. Ratchet & Clank was one of the first projects I worked on in product development, and it will always hold a special place in my heart. Nearly 15 years later, we not only got to go back to that original experience and remake it for a new generation, but we also have the Ratchet & Clank theatrical film that brings these characters and world to film audiences everywhere.

Thank you all who have been along for the ride for the past 15 years, and thank you to all who are discovering Ratchet & Clank for the first time!

Add Your Own

supermoc10 said:

April 29th, 11:05 am

Loved the game. Reviews for the movie don’t seem all that positive which surprised me because I though that if there’d be a video game franchise that can succeed on the big screen, it would be R&C.
However, I’ll still probably check it out. I’ll probably enjoy it more than the critics as a fan of the games.

G-Force08 said:

April 29th, 12:07 pm

I just got back from seeing the movie. As a huge fan of the video games I can say that fans will enjoy the film. It delivered just about as expected.

It was no Disney Pixar production but at the very least, I’m sure fans will like it.

If someone has no experience with Ratchet & Clank then I wouldn’t suggest it be their first taste of the franchise. One of the games would definitely be a better introduction.

zekececil14 said:

April 29th, 8:09 pm

Movie was phenomenal.

It was simply a very good and fun movie to watch.

It didn’t bring any critical thinking or sudden realizations of the meaning of life, but it was awesome.

TomHoang said:

April 30th, 9:30 am

If you are a fan of the games, you will love the movie. Go see it!

Gorvi said:

April 29th, 11:20 am

I’ll be taking the kids to go see it next weekend. We were going to see it this weekend but have way too much going on. Can’t wait!

PS_ihh said:

April 29th, 11:21 am

Loved the game, will watch the movie soon.
Would this be a good place to ask what happened to Sly movie (and hopefully a game tie-in)?

joyrul96 said:

April 29th, 11:31 am

Sly movie is still happening, the same studio (Rainmaker) who worked on R&C movie is working on Sly Cooper movie too, we might see a Sly reboot at E3 just like R&C who knows, would like to see a different movie studio working on it though.

G-Force08 said:

April 29th, 12:10 pm

I honestly think they are waiting on the outcome of Ratchet & Clank before continuing that project. Unfortunately, critical reviews and box office numbers are pointing in the direction of a failure.

I just saw the movie and thought it was good. Faithful for fans of the franchise. However, it’s the general audience that should also be considered when making a movie and unfortunately, I don’t think this has mass appeal.

Probably means we won’t see Sly. I hope I’m wrong because I would love for these along with other franchises succeed as movies and TV shows…. but that’s just my guess.

Sangetsu-II said:

April 29th, 11:23 am

Watch the movie and loved it. Got the game and I’m gonna 100%

Xcaligamer1 said:

April 29th, 11:24 am

Going to watch tomorrow

Bellalara said:

April 29th, 11:25 am

I’m so excited to see the movie tonight in theaters :D Ratchet and Clank was a huge part of my childhood and I’ve been excited for this movie ever since it was announced!

joyrul96 said:

April 29th, 11:25 am

Huge Ratchet and Clank fan. Loved the game to bits got near Platinum trophy on it.

Honestly the movie was really dissapointing, it was way below our expectations I don’t recommend going to the cinemas for this, maybe blu-ray copy of it discounted for later is worth it

gameman15 said:

April 29th, 11:46 am

Since I’m not a huge fan of the Ratchet and Clank series since I’ve only played like 4 games in the series (the original on PS2, Size Matters (PSP version), Tools of Destruction, and All 4 One), I may or may not check out the film. As for those (along with the critics) who say that this movie is a disappointment, I wouldn’t worry *points at the live-action Super Mario Bros. movie* I’ve seen worse.

Korahn27 said:

April 29th, 1:50 pm

@MartBangz – yeah, how DARE he have an opinion! Me personally, I’l be waiting for the home release. Movies in theatres are a costly day out, especially when you have children and responsibilities, so i have to be picky when choosing which ones we go out to see. This one looks kinda fun, but not $50 for 1.5 hours fun. I’d rather pay for the game and experience it that way instead.

Wozman23 said:

April 29th, 11:34 am

The game being the fastest selling in franchise history really excites me. Since the original PS2 release, it has been my favorite franchise in gaming history, but the series has been on the rocks the past few years. Glad so many people picked up the game, and glad it can bring in a new generation of fanatics. Hopefully this zeitgeist is only just the start of more great Ratchet & Clank to come…

MartBangz said:

April 29th, 11:36 am

The game was awesome and this movie is going to be the greatest!

djsaiyan said:

April 29th, 12:17 pm

Man did y’all ever do a crummy job of promoting this movie.

I know it’s not fantastic but you could have at least TRIED to get it out there beyond the gaming community. Where were the trailers? TV spots? Posters in theatres? Anything?

You sent this movie out to die. Good job.

SarshelYam said:

April 29th, 1:14 pm

Man, I don’t know where you live, but here in the San Francisco Bay Area it’s everywhere. GameStop has posters up, every theater I’ve been too has huge standees and marquee posters, and I’ve seen plenty of commercial trailers…then again, my kids watch the usual Youtube, Disney, Nickelodean, etc.

VariantAEC said:

April 29th, 10:34 pm

I have seen a few commercials for it while watching ABC and CBS primetime shows.

Reverseshift said:

April 29th, 1:10 pm

I really hope this movie does well.

Deadpoolian said:

April 29th, 1:47 pm

Critics are being WAY too harsh on this film. Just got back from seeing it, and I enjoyed it! If you’re a fan of the franchise, definitely check it out.

Wilkz13 said:

April 29th, 2:05 pm

Just saw the movie and did not care for it. Love the games but the movie felt like game cutscenes put together to make an hour and a half movie.

dkarlowicz10 said:

April 30th, 10:04 am

Isn’t that what animated movies are? Are they not cutscenes?

MaDogNik96 said:

April 29th, 2:07 pm

I wanna see this this weekend. I heard the critic reviews were kinda meh, but as a fan I bet I’ll enjoy it more. I’m also curious what the impact of this movies reception will affect the Sly Cooper film, and others if planned. I honestly hope there are more movies planned.

Renan_Acid said:

April 29th, 2:38 pm

I wanna watch it so bad! But where I live they’re only showing the stupid portuguese version on theaters, so I’ll have to wait for a Netflix/Blu-ray release. :/

VinsanityV21 said:

April 29th, 3:29 pm

Good luck you guys! I haven’t even seen Zootopia yet, so I’m definitely not gonna catch R&C until sometime in the future. But I’ll check it out and support it! Definitely wanna see more animated game adaptations, and am especially looking forward to Sly Cooper next year :)

josh261995 said:

April 29th, 4:42 pm

Loved the game

Link01 said:

April 29th, 5:29 pm

I really wanted to like this movie, saw it with some friends on release. I can’t understate how this movie should not be watched in theaters… it was pretty terrible :(. The game is fantastic, I just wish the right people developed the movie.

RaymanFreak77 said:

April 29th, 9:20 pm

I don’t care what anyone says, I think the movie is gonna be amazing. They just love controlling the Lombax, and that’s why the movie wasn’t interesting to them. I’m gonna love this.

Apollyon_Vice said:

April 30th, 8:04 am

It was a good movie.
Watched it opening day.
I was pleased.
With the track record movies based off game have expectations were kinda low.
But can easily be considered a good movie.
Still miss the Ahole version of Ratchet but this version isn’t bad.
Now I just have to wait for the next game. -_-

AizawaYuuichi said:

April 30th, 9:58 am

I felt pretty sure the pre-rendered cutscenes from the game were actually nicked from the movie, and considering I was right, I wasn’t disappointed. I played the game through to completion three times and got the platinum. Watching the movie yesterday was great as I was able to pick out the differences in scenes and presentation. That was part of the fun for me.
As a movie-goer, I heartily recommend seeing this in the theatre. If you’re cheap or have a bunch of kids, then yeah, wait until there are more economical options available.
But seriously, who cares what critics think? They’re critics. All they do is critique. They’re practically incapable of enjoying anything that isn’t tailor-made to win Oscars.
Really looking forward to another game, and hopefully another movie.

(yes, there is a tag at the end of the credits, haha)

febwtf said:

April 30th, 12:13 pm

“If you liked the game, you’ll love the movie”

Yeah, but if there’s anyone more stupid than moviegoers, it’s gamers.

gameman15 said:

April 30th, 2:10 pm

@febwtf I agree. Gamers today (especially that Seluhir kid) have no real taste in movies. Instead of liking quality movies (something in the lines of Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Disney movies, Pixar movies, Marvel and DC movies, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, etc.), they have to like something that shares the same name with their favorite franchise. And considering the bad reviews the Ratchet and Clank movie got, the first Mortal Kombat movie still holds the “only good video game movie” title.

Elvick_ said:

April 30th, 11:35 pm

Watched it opening day and absolutely loved the movie. So did my non-gamer fiance.

Quarkfan101 said:

May 1st, 1:00 am

I went to see the movie Saturday afternoon at a local theater and I have too say. I’d loved it a lot. I don’t care what the critics said about the movie. I’m a fan of the game series so I knew I would love it.

hongthay said:

May 1st, 6:16 pm

I’m currently in Thailand, and it’s not even in the release schedule. Which is unfortunate because I was really looking forward to this. I definitely wanted to see it on the big screen.

Sgt_MountainLion said:

May 2nd, 11:28 am

I just watched the movie, I’d give it a 7/10.

I get that the weapons are a key part of the game, but the directors should have known that Ratchet and Clank is about Ratchet and Clank and their adventures, not a documentary about their weapons. The movie was just too busy trying to crack jokes than being invested in a good well paced story.

Want an example for a good story that can appeal to both kids and adults without being cringy? Check out A Crack in Time. It nailed the balance of jokes, action, drama and everything alone with Tools of Destruction. The movie made a big mistake trying to make a joke out of itself.

Also the what was up with the movie score? Music guy, please play some Ratchet and Clank games to learn the music style of the game instead of trying to use NES soundtracks as background music.

Welmosca said:

May 2nd, 1:02 pm

Looking forward to see the movie,looks good.It was good to read this,its awesome to see this trajectory of Ratchet becoming a movie.
And damn that pic of them in a studio is fantastic…thank you for that.