God of War

May 17

May 17

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered Out Today, 6 Reasons to Relive a Classic

John Hardin's Avatar Posted by SEGA Representative

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered is out today on PS4! It’s been eight years since Valkyria Chronicles originally launched on PS3, and for reasons lost to the annals of time, it’s never been available digitally on PlayStation Network. Meaning that there’s an entire generation of console gamers who haven’t yet experienced it! So, starting today, you can join up with Welkin, Alicia, and the rest of Squad 7 to liberate Gallia from the invading Empire.

Taking place in the fictional yet strangely familiar continent of Europa, the small principality of Gallia lies directly between the Empire and the allied Federation who are clashing in the second Europan war. Gallia is rich in the precious mineral resource Ragnite, which does everything from heal the wounded to power the machines of war.

The Empire being, well, evil, decides that they need the Ragnite and launches an invasion of Gallia to take it. Starting in the border town of Bruhl, the Empire happens to invade just as the game’s hero, Welkin Gunther, returns from university. Narrowly escaping Bruhl with his life, his sister Isara, Bruhl Town Watch Captain Alicia, and their father’s prototype tank Edelweiss (naturally), Welkin and company join up with the Gallian Militia to drive back the Empire as part of the rag-tag Squad 7!

“But John,” you’re probably asking, “This game came out eight years ago! What makes it so great that I should play it now?”

I’m glad you asked, hypothetical reader! To help answer that, I made a list of six awesome reasons to play the new Valkyria Chronicles Remastered.

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, PS4Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, PS4

It’s gorgeous! Using SEGA’s CANVAS engine, the game has a painterly aesthetic, filled with bright colors, and incredible designs, all of which have been enhanced for PS4.

It’s human! Seriously — the characters in Valkyria Chronicles, even minor ones that only have written bios, all have endearing traits. Squad 7 isn’t just a faceless resource of soldiers to constantly throw at death — it’s a group of citizens from the game, each with their own story. If you like character-driven RPGs, you will not go wanting with Valkyria Chronicles.

It’s… war. Sure. Lots of games revolve around war. But there are constant reminders that everyone from Squad 7 is subject to the horrors of an unrelenting enemy, adverse battle conditions, and worse. There’s definitely a feeling of foreboding every time you step onto the battlefield, where death is permanent.

And yet… it’s not overwhelming. The strategy RPG formula in Valkyria Chronicles is elegant in its simplicity. Advance your characters up the battlefield, dodging crossfire and mines, taking advantage of cover to invade and neutralize enemy camps. There are many ways to tactically deploy your troops and achieve victory!

Oh, and there’s magic! Because there had to be some mysticism in the game somewhere, there’s some crazy mystical stuff that happens! As you advance through the game’s plot, a lot gets revealed about the ignominious past of Europa, and the legendary race of the extinct Valkyrur.

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, PS4

Finally, we put together an awesome package for it. Available both physically and digitally for $29.99, those who pre-ordered and are lucky enough to find them in stores will be able to get the game in the Squad 7 Armored Edition: a collectible metal game case! And if you really want to show off your Valkyria love, there are some brand new PS4 themes available now as well, for $1.99 apiece!

Add Your Own

Trendy_Kid said:

May 17th, 9:05 am

I think I played a demo of the original. I am a huge cel-shaded fan, so the art style caught my attention. I want to buy this but I keep hearing people say they put it down after about 2 hours. I am curious to know why.

May 17th, 9:20 am

I dunno? Plenty of reviews are up if you wanna check those out. US Gamer had someone who had never played the game before try it out if you’re curious about starting fresh!

I only got into VC a few years ago before I was a part of SEGA, and it floored me with how good it was.

MisterAxle said:

May 17th, 9:34 am

I also put it down after a few hours.

I took a break to eat and use the bathroom, and then I went right back.

The art, music, storytelling, and gameplay are all phenomenal. It’s a really neat blend of TRPG format with on-the-ground shooter elements. The characters are unforgettable, and the themes tackled by the story are heavy with substance.

Trendy_Kid said:

May 17th, 10:32 am

Thanks guys, I’ll check out some reviews. :)

KazeEternal said:

May 17th, 10:57 am

I honestly don’t know who you’ve been talking to, but I have played through this game both on PS3 and PC. I’ve become such a huge fan of this series that I’m back for the remaster.

Only reason I can figure that people have put this game after two hours is that this game wasn’t for them and they were looking for something that wasn’t there to begin with.

Do you like turn based Strategy games?
    Do you like Cell Shaded Graphics with a unique canvas style?
    Do you like the prospect of lining up a shot yourself while under fire?
    Do you like tanks?
    Do you like alternate reality story lines based in a late 19th early 20th century feel?
    Do you like fantasy elements?

If you answered yes to most of these then you’re off to a good start and will likely enjoy this game. It’s not without its issues, but it will challenge you, it is fun, and it is a good game with good story.

djsaiyan said:

May 17th, 9:16 pm

I put it down long enough to go to the bathroom and get a snack. Otherwise, Valkyria Chronicles consumed my life right up until I hit the final mission and just couldn’t get passed it. I don’t know if it was my strategy or something up with how I had my squad set up, but I couldn’t get it done.

I hope to rectify that with the remaster.

gerneric123 said:

May 17th, 9:08 am

This would’ve been nice on Vita. It’s the only mainline VC game not available on a portable platform.

MisterAxle said:

May 17th, 9:29 am

Personally, I’d much prefer if VC2 were ported to a large-screen format like PC or PS4. And I’d also love to see VC3 localized.

KazeEternal said:

May 17th, 10:59 am

Maybe? At least with this we have remote play, but I’m not even sure this will run on a Vita without heavy work involved.

Hakumen__ said:

May 17th, 11:25 am

@KazeEternal IIRC the issue with the PSP is that it could not load large areas, which is why VC2 had their maps subdivided into smaller sections or rooms through which you need to transition between. The PS Vita is certainly a significant step above the PSP and can handle games with large areas, such as Sword Art Online, so I do think it should be possible to handle the original VC with some tweaking.

I would certainly like to try VC3 (specially on my PS Vita), even if it was just a PSP port. I heard it was definitely an improvement over VC2 and more in tone with the first game.

LeandroDiFini said:

May 17th, 9:24 am

This was a great game on PS3 and I definitely recommend for those who never tried it. The gameplay is very unique and the storytelling drags you in. I really wished we could have gotten part 3 in English as well, but I hope this re-release is a big hit so Sega goes back to making more Valkyria Chronicles.

MisterAxle said:

May 17th, 9:28 am

One of the very best PS3 games is now on the PS4. I’ve now bought Valkyria Chronicles for a third time.

My copy arrived early yesterday, and I was once again blown away by the incredible art style and storytelling. I’m usually one who prefers original Japanese voice acting, but the English VO for this game is straight masterful.

May 17th, 9:42 am

I shamefully got my first introduction to this game with the 2014 uh… non-console release (I got your back, PS Blog bros!) before I was a part of SEGA, and like you was floored by how good the English dub was.

hongthay said:

May 17th, 6:24 pm

I bought it for the third time as well. This was one I always hoped they would add trophies to retroactively on the PS3. It is a gorgeous game.

You should also check out the anime series they made for it. It brings a little more depth to the story, and the anime also has the same art direction as the game.

rinkozzagamerr said:

May 19th, 1:36 am

Media

May 17th, 9:29 am

Man, I know. But sadly, it didn’t work out for Vita.

May 17th, 9:29 am

Haha oops, this was supposed to be a reply to gerneric123

May 17th, 1:13 pm

AFAIK, there wasn’t any Vita development. I believe it was suggested, but it wasn’t feasible for the project.

gerneric123 said:

May 17th, 10:39 am

You make it sound like it was in development for Vita … !?

Do you know what’s up with VC2 Vita compatibility? I know you’re able to do it through PS3 transfer, but that’s not exactly the most user friendly of process.

Hakumen__ said:

May 17th, 11:27 am

I would like to hear more about this: was a Vita version actually considered?

And if so, what problems were there for making it happen?

Neil said:

May 17th, 9:33 am

Bought this on PS3 and really enjoyed it. The music and art is phenomenal.

May 17th, 9:34 am

And because I know the question is coming anyways, I’ll just go ahead and say it: we don’t know anything about bringing over remastered ports of VC2 or a localized/ported VC3 :(

That’s not saying that it’s impossible for VC2/VC3 in the future, it’s just not planned. And for those of you keeping track of Valkyria of the Azure Revolution, we don’t have any news on that front either, but it’s definitely on our radar!

LeandroDiFini said:

May 17th, 11:00 am

Holding hopes for a localized port of VC3! :D
    I’ve been a Sega guy since I played my Genesis for the first time and I will always support the company!

Hakumen__ said:

May 17th, 11:28 am

I really hope that VC3 can come to western shores one day.

zzamaro said:

May 17th, 9:36 am

I plan on getting a PS4 so I definitely plan on getting this game later this year because I enjoyed very much when I played on the PS3. Hopefully there’s a sale by the time that happens so I can grab it and have it ready to DL when I have my PS4.

Btw, will VC2 get the same treatment? (I enjoyed VC2 as well) And more important, are we getting VC3?

May 17th, 9:50 am

:D

zzamaro said:

May 17th, 9:38 am

Wow, you read your fans’ minds. Just when I posted, you went ahead and answered my question beforehand.

Extrem3xCarn4ge said:

May 17th, 9:53 am

I have never played one of these games before, it looks really cool, I’m on the edge though. I would like to hear something that could blow me away especially with all these other fantastic games that have been coming out recently

May 17th, 10:03 am

I dunno – it’s hard to describe what it’s like going through the story. Everyone in Squad 7 is basically a total badass, but at the same time they’re “real” people too. Welkin is a big biology nerd. Alicia wants to be a baker. Rosie likes to sing, etc. There are some really touching moments and other “harsh reality of war” moments too. Is it for everyone? Probably not, but as i mentioned in the blog, there’s a ton of humanity in the story, and they tackle some pretty intense topics (racism) and deal with them in a refreshingly mature way.

Also you can drive around in an awesome looking tank and fire mortar rounds at enemies.

whereymyconary said:

May 17th, 10:04 am

Ended up coming to my place early last night. Been enjoying playing it again. So pretty.

outcelgeist said:

May 17th, 10:08 am

Easily my favorite PS3 game. This PS4 version will be in my mailbox within the next couple hours.

MisterAxle said:

May 17th, 10:53 am

“Easily my favorite PS3 game.”

Heck yes. You and me, both.

hongthay said:

May 17th, 6:28 pm

I agree.

gamergothguy said:

May 26th, 6:18 am

Without a doubt my favorite PS3 game as well. In fact, easily my favorite game of the last generation altogether. Which, when you consider how early in the generation it was, says a lot for both the excellent quality of this game and how lackluster last gen was, in that in all this time since VC was never topped.

bstie1198 said:

May 17th, 10:12 am

My copy is arriving today. My third time buying this (PS3 plus all DLC, Steam, and now PS4) to go with 2 copies of VC II (UMD and digital), and an import copy of VC III. We really need an official release of VC III in English. It’s the best game in the series.

DrApollo said:

May 17th, 10:13 am

Valkyria Chronicles and Demons Souls are my top favorite PS3 games.

May 17th, 10:36 am

That’s a pretty solid ranking. :3

Trendy_Kid said:

May 17th, 10:42 am

Oh man, Demon’s Souls is my #1 PS3 game. Guess I’m going to have to buy this now!

CertifiedFP said:

May 17th, 10:32 am

Make sure to fill out the survey on the game’s XMB tile to vouch for Valkyria Chronicles 3 people.

gundamcero said:

May 17th, 10:57 am

I am not finding the themes on the PS Store. Also please tell me they are dynamic and not crap static themes. Such a waste if so. Thanks.

May 17th, 11:03 am

They’re static. :\

KazeEternal said:

May 17th, 11:01 am

Themes will likely be up when the store update goes live in a couple of hours.

gundamcero said:

May 17th, 11:06 am

Damn. Hate static themes. This games deserves more love and give me my damn dynamic theme.

Trendy_Kid said:

May 17th, 11:08 am

If a good static theme has its own music, it can still be nice. I love my Darksiders 2 theme and it doesn’t do much at all.

gundamcero said:

May 17th, 11:16 am

Music definitely makes it better but I wouldn’t use a static theme over one of the better dynamic ones. Transistor or Journey for instance.

gundamcero said:

May 17th, 11:24 am

Oh and charging $1.99 for a static theme is pretty lame. Easy pass

gundamcero said:

May 17th, 3:39 pm

Dang. And the themes don’t even have custom music. How lazy can you be. And you ask 2 bucks for this. This game has beautiful music. Shame on you guys.

NorseGamer said:

May 17th, 11:00 am

Played Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 when it first came out. Absolutely *loved* it. VC still holds up today as one of the best S-RPG experiences ever crafted.

And now it’s out on PS4.

I’m canceling absolutely everything that isn’t work related. Food is stockpiled in the house. Phone calls go straight to voicemail. Dating and social activities are deep-sixed. Because priorities.

To whomever at Sega biz-dev greenlit Valkyria Chronicles Remastered: thank you. This game flew under a lot of North American radars during the last console generation, and it truly deserves to be rediscovered. Games this good don’t often come along.

May 17th, 11:04 am

>To whomever at Sega biz-dev greenlit Valkyria Chronicles Remastered: thank you. This game flew under a lot of North American radars during the last console generation, and it truly deserves to be rediscovered.

That’s why we did it! (And you’re welcome!)

saveur said:

May 17th, 11:02 am

Easily one of the best RPGs in the last decade+, and one of the very few games to ever reduce me to fetal-position shower-sobbing. If anyone here is on the fence, don’t be. If you enjoy the idea of a classic/action/strategy RPG-hybrid, a large cast of extremely well-written characters, gorgeous graphics, and an amazing orchestral soundtrack, you’ll dig it.

Even though John already commented on it, just want to add in my +1 for a VC 2 & 3 HD release (or just a 3 localization), and I’m suuuper stoked for Azure Revolution. Was a little dissapointed the demo wasn’t included in this release as it was in the JP version, but, good to know SEGA of America is keeping an eye out. Thanks for your comments John and for this release, it’s an incredible game and one I tell people about all the time. Also can’t believe it’s been 8 years since the original release, thanks for making me feel old.

May 17th, 11:09 am

NP! We were initially talking about including the AR demo included as well, but as you can see, it didn’t happen. :(

And yeah, right there with you about the sobbing bit. Except I was playing during my lunch break at work. That was awkward. :\

Quixote85 said:

May 17th, 11:20 am

Ah yes, one florist’s epic quest for revenge after an invading army burned down her shop. Put down the bouquet and take up the flamethrower!

I picked up this game on PS3 a while back and I’m maybe halfway through now. Unless there’s some way to transfer a save, I won’t bother with the remaster (not that I have a PS4 to play it on), but I’m glad that more gamers will have a chance to experience this gem. VC2 is also a great game, though the main character is much more annoying than Welkin.

Ricen-Beans said:

May 17th, 11:36 am

You forgot the number one reason:
TROPHIES!!

This will be my second time buying and playing this wonderful game. It’s what got me to like SRPGs and VC2 got me to buy a pspgo. Yes. A “GO”.

Anyways hope VC3 makes it to the west someday as I hear it’s far better than 2. and of course it better be coming to vita, even if u have to put it on PS4 too, to justify the effort.

May 17th, 12:18 pm

Holy crap, I totally left off trophies. :( :( :(

MaDogNik96 said:

May 19th, 10:29 am

If they made a PS4 collection that included 2 and 3 I’d buy it in a heartbeat. If Sega randomly decided to pop out VC3 on the Vita, I’d happily take that as well.

Kishnabe said:

May 17th, 11:43 am

Plat is as difficult as expected. PS3 Version was a bundle of fun.

Loved PSP Sequel as well. Don’t know why VC 3 never came over.

If this is a success, I hope VC 2 and 3 get remastered for the Vita.

Silver_shion said:

May 17th, 1:26 pm

fill the survey !
    It’s next to the digital manual.

XFRod said:

May 17th, 12:01 pm

Easily, one of my favorite PS3 games of all time. I cringe thinking of how many hours went into just trying to figure out the best crew to send into battle together. Usually, you’re more concerned with a balance of heavy attacks versus ranged ability, instead of who likes and gets along with whom.

Only problem now is to find out what to cut out of my budget to pick up both Uncharted 4 and VC. A guy can live off of potatoes, right?

Trendy_Kid said:

May 17th, 12:11 pm

I had a friend who lived on hotdogs for like 8 months. I’m not even kidding.

rabidninjamonky said:

May 17th, 12:23 pm

Cool, but when are we going to get a Shenmue and Shenmue 2 HD collection?

gus_xl said:

May 17th, 1:08 pm

I loved it on PS3 and anyone who hasn’t played it owes it to themselves to get it. I, on the other hand, will continue to wait for VC2 and VC3 to be ported to the big screen. ( also a Shenmue HD collection would be great )

Silver_shion said:

May 17th, 1:19 pm

When you insert Valkyria Chronicles HD into your ps4, next to the digital manual there’s a Survey that ask you which games of the series have you bought before this one (INCLUDING japanese copies of VC3).

Also in the last page there’s a section in which you can ask for localizations.

outcelgeist said:

May 17th, 1:26 pm

Just got it in the mail. The case is so sweet that it feels almost criminal to open. :(

ChOKe242 said:

May 17th, 1:38 pm

Right? Opening that sweet steelbook feels like vandalizing a masterpiece.

ChOKe242 said:

May 17th, 1:32 pm

Third buy for me as well. Pre-ordered at GS and got the Steelbook. I’m ready for a whole-lotta Rosie. I think why I stopped the first time on the PS3 was that I kept losing her and a deluge of games came out. I won’t let you die this time you badass firecracker! Loved VC2 also. So with all these fans you have posting here, and multi-purchasers, you just gotta give us VC3 already. Two remastered also, and retail for the Vita too! Wishful thinking aside, thank you John for joining in the discussion and sticking around past the 1st 3 comments, and to Sega for bringing it back 8 years later. Now get everyone you know on board so we can have a 4 and the others remastered.

Tatanka2007 said:

May 17th, 2:41 pm

“…sticking around past the 1st 3 comments…” +1! Ain’t that the truth. I think most PR folk bail within an hour of posting.

stewart889377 said:

May 17th, 1:37 pm

I’d be nice if SEGA could get their act together. While I love the original VC, releasing it for a third time on the PS4 is a bit much after doing for the PC two years ago. Especially when you consider VC3 which is the latest game from 5 years ago has yet to be released in English. Even with a fan translated patch for it, it still doesn’t make the Japanese version of it I own fully playable. Should show more consideration for the series instead of just remastering the first game from 8 years ago over and over.

Sangetsu-II said:

May 17th, 1:57 pm

I bought the remaster, just in hopes we get VC2/VC3 remasters on PS4/Vita too!

Don’t le me down Sega!!!

Hayterfan said:

May 17th, 2:03 pm

Sadly my copy was delayed a day, however I plan to finally finish it.
As a side note any word on PSO2? Like seriously anything good that can be said?

Tatanka2007 said:

May 17th, 2:39 pm

I’m SO glad that I didn’t pre-order Homefront. Definitely gonna pick up Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. I’ve played the PC version. It’s one of my fave JPRGs now. It’s also the kind of game that’s fun to replay. Now I can revisit it and get some trophies too.

anszbd1 said:

May 17th, 6:03 pm

Already the got the steelcase edition, will play it after I finish uncharted 4 and shadow of the beast :)

ccanfield1 said:

May 17th, 6:31 pm

I love this game and preordered my copy of the Squad 7 Armored Edition. I hope it sells well so we can finally get Valkyria Chronicles 3 localized and released in North America ! I would also love an HD version of Valkyria 2 released for PS4 and Vita.

kwazistar said:

May 17th, 9:00 pm

I didn’t even realize that this was coming out already! I knew about this game when I watched Youtube videos of it from start to finish and I had been wanting to play this game since then. It was around the time when it was first released on the PS3…without trophy support. I played this countless of times but really wanted the trophies xD! I can’t wait to get started again…and this time, 100% trophies!

purse317 said:

May 18th, 12:22 am

If you haven’t played it try it you’ll love it.

If you have played it man we finally got our trophies let’s play it again.

mcosmus said:

May 18th, 1:39 am

I have played and completed PS3 version of this game and it was an fantastic experience, I am sure remastered version is even better. I am also very happy to see that finally VIta compatible version of Valkyria Chronicles 2 is available at US PSN (it was available for EU PSN but US PSN version was PSP compatible only for some unknown reason) It is really hard to name a similar game like Valkyria Chronicles but you may find some aspects of it similar to Final Fantasy Tactics (which is another great RPG classic imo)

jpd0184 said:

May 18th, 5:16 am

I’ll be grabbing this for sure as I loved the game on PS3.
But I want to know something. Valkyria Chronicles 2 just came up on PSN for $4.99 and is listed as both PSP and PSV with the option to “downloads to all your PS Vitas” (I have an OG Japanese PSVTV model) but I’ve looked into this before and I can’t download it from my PS Vita.
Has the title become Vita compatible as the listing on the PSN store says or is this a mistake? I’d really love to know as I don’t care too much about the discount but have wanted to play VC2 for a long time but was unable to because it was previously listed as PSP only on PSN.
I also don’t have a working PS3 anymore.

MaDogNik96 said:

May 19th, 10:26 am

My PS3 died as well, but luckily put VCII on my Vita before it did. I wish you could directly download it to the Vita, especially when Sony stops supporting the PS3, and all the PSP games you can’t download directly are pretty much lost.

I thought there was a way to do it through the PC as well, but I think I heard it wrong.

edujr1976 said:

May 18th, 9:03 am

Plus the trophies that PS3 version never had!

dkarlowicz10 said:

May 19th, 6:23 am

Would love to see a Yakuza complete collection on Ps4. Also, why is Sonic on 3DS, but not on the Vita?

MaDogNik96 said:

May 19th, 10:23 am

I got my physical copy, which is the SteelBook one, but I honestly want to get another that’s just the normal packaging of the game. And I bought this on PS3 before, plus I have VCII digitally and an import copy of VC3. I kind of want a physical copy of VCII to make my collection complete.

Mazurath said:

May 20th, 1:29 am

Third time buying the game after falling in love with it on the PS3, hope to get around to another playthrough with the PS4 version soon.

One thing I’m curious about, was the PS4 version based on the PC version or the PS3 version?