Knack 2

May 27

May 27

Dragon Quest Builders Confirmed for North America on PS4, PS Vita

Dan Seto's Avatar Posted by SEJ West Community Manager, Square Enix

When we released Dragon Quest Heroes last year, we always said that we wanted to bring more Dragon Quest games to the West. You could say that Dragon Quest Heroes laid the groundwork for Dragon Quest games on PS4 and we’re now ready to start building on those foundations!

Today actually marks the 30th anniversary of the Dragon Quest franchise and as part of the celebration, I am very happy to announce that Dragon Quest Builders is officially coming to North America this October (2016) on PS4 and PS Vita!

The Dragon Quest games are famous for being turn based RPGs but Dragon Quest Builders is different. So what is Dragon Quest Builders? Let’s bust out those hammers and break it down!

Dragon Quest Builders for PS4

Story

The story of Dragon Quest Builders actually follows a “what if” story following the original Dragon Quest. In this story the realm has been destroyed because the Hero (from DQ1) who was supposed to save the world by defeating the evil Dragonlord, actually got tempted into accepting a sham deal with him. This plunges the land into darkness and despair and the few survivors scattered around the world no longer understand the concept of creativity and live through scavenging what remains among ruins.

This is where Dragon Quest Builders begins! The protagonist (that’s you), who can be either a boy or a girl, is awoken by a Guardian Spirit as the Legendary Builder who is the only person in the world with the knowledge to create objects through combination and imagination. It’s now up to you to rebuild the world and restore it to its former glory!

Gameplay

Dragon Quest Builders is a sandbox action RPG where your imagination is the limit! Everything plays out in real time and the world is made entirely of blocks (although it may not look that blocky) and you can use these blocks to build pretty much whatever you want. Building is easy and can be done in three steps:

1. Plan what you’re going to build!
  2. Gather your resources!
  3. Begin construction and create your masterpiece!

There is an overarching main storyline to follow in Dragon Quest Builders so if you want a narrative to get attached to and pull you through, that’s in there too. It wouldn’t be a Dragon Quest game without one after all! Oh and there’s plenty of quirky side quests and NPCs to give you that full RPG experience, just with the additional sandbox gameplay and monsters to battle as well.

It’s kind of crazy to think that the Dragon Quest franchise is 30 years old today but despite that, you don’t have to have played any previous Dragon Quest game to understand and enjoy Dragon Quest Builders.

Dragon Quest Builders is coming out later this year (October, 2016) on PlayStation 4 (boxed and digitally) and PS Vita (digital only). We’ll have more information to share with you before the game comes out but in the meantime, be sure to secure your hardhats, polish your hammers and get ready to build!

Keep up to date with all Dragon Quest Builders news on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

AncLEoniX said:

May 27th, 6:04 am

So glad to hear that. Created a jap acct to try it out and absolutely loved it.

Techni said:

May 27th, 6:18 am

Eeeeeeeee. This game looks adorable. Like someone turned minecraft into an actual game

Dan Seto's Avatar

Neal Pabon said:

May 27th, 8:38 am

Help friendly villagers, rebuild a broken world, and smash Golems with your hammer… in style!

Tomalek said:

May 27th, 6:22 am

Vita? Excellent.

Godot89 said:

May 27th, 6:45 am

Wonderful news! It’s always wonderful to hear a Dragon Quest title get localized! I really hope that with Heroes and Builders receiving translations that there might be a chance for the PS4 port of Dragon Quest 10 to make its way overseas as well.

MakaiOokami said:

June 1st, 11:51 pm

I really hope for a Dragon Quest VIII PS2 Remaster

Jubez187 said:

May 27th, 6:47 am

FFXV, Star Ocean V, Grand Kindgom, and now this. RIP to my wallet.

Dr_Smuv said:

May 27th, 10:12 am

Haha, my words and choices exactly

Seluhir said:

May 27th, 10:42 am

Don’t forget Atelier Sophie, Tales of Berseria, Nights of Azure(which is already out of course), I Am Setsuna, Fairy Fencer f: Advent Dark Force, Persona 5, and so so many more.

This year has so many JRPGs its almost ridiculous. Japan is trying to kill us, I think. They’re just very devious in their methods.

TomatoDragon said:

May 27th, 6:58 am

Oh man. Makes me happy to see this.

KidGreengene said:

May 27th, 7:04 am

My son will love this. Absolutely buying.

Dan Seto's Avatar

Neal Pabon said:

May 27th, 8:47 am

I hope he has his hammer and builder’s cap ready!

anberlin44 said:

May 27th, 7:08 am

Day 1 purchase! Now about Dragon Quest Heroes 2 for NA????

Zepherj said:

May 27th, 7:10 am

Thank you so much! I’ve been really looking forward to playing this on the Vita, as it appears to be the perfect platform to play this game on. Now, we just need a few of the other Japanese Vita releases to head this way.

Dan Seto's Avatar

Neal Pabon said:

May 27th, 8:27 am

You’re welcome so much! You’ll be building and questing on the go in no time.

ChibiMrBubbles said:

May 27th, 7:11 am

And your rationale for not even localizing a digital PS3 version of Heroes 1, Heroes 2, or Builder is…? I’ll wait for the Vita version to get a physical release if this is the game you wanna play with us SquareEnix. Not into memory cards on my Vita.

likeliverpool said:

May 27th, 11:13 am

Fear not! The game is only 250mb. There is also Limited Run Games, the limited releases always sell out like hotcakes (literally minutes). SquareEnix should know it would be wise to have a limited release because of a game of this quality would sell out in seconds.

Kishnabe said:

May 27th, 7:13 am

Thanks, getting the digital vita version. Would have liked a physical version or a limited physical vita release.

Please bring more DQ games over to Playstation, like DQ Heroes 2…hope the vita port is considered as well if it does.

TomHoang said:

May 27th, 7:14 am

No Vita physical copy :( Good news this is still coming over, though.

RoD_GX said:

May 27th, 7:20 am

Great news! We were all hoping for this and I believe it goes without saying that depending on how well this game sells in the US, it’ll help S-E make up their minds about bringing over Heroes II as well.
But one question (still) remains unanswered, what’s the final word regarding Adventures of Mana PS Vita port? http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/adventures-mana-released-iosandroid
The official blog post never got an update, despite the great feedback and approval from the community.

Thank you for supporting the PS Vita.

Ikusa02 said:

May 27th, 7:23 am

Been looking forward to this the minute it was announced :) Now all I need is a World of Final Fantasy release date this year and I’ll be over the moon ^_^

Zezzler said:

May 27th, 7:33 am

And people say that the Vita is dead :P This is the perfect kind of game for on-the-go to!

Cesar-HMeraz said:

May 27th, 9:52 am

The Vita would be my console of choice for many multiplatform games (like Builders and Heroes II).

I love the portability and the power it has.

I definitely do not want it to die, so there is nothing but happiness when Vita games are released… preferably in card form instead of digital-only.

Jinxyman said:

May 27th, 7:34 am

Yes! More DQ games and this looks like a ton of fun! Ready for some more info on DQ11 come on #DQ30th keep the good news coming :)

jryanwalt said:

May 27th, 7:45 am

So happy to see this is releasing on Vita! I sure would like a boxed version though…

dhunter_12 said:

May 27th, 7:51 am

Yes! Thank you for the Vita support!
-cough- please also put I Am Setsuna in the Vita, please -cough-

Tjoeb123 said:

May 27th, 7:52 am

I’m curious to know why you decided to release this on Vita, as opposed to certain other titles..

Volken_us said:

May 27th, 7:52 am

Oh Squix localize a game in a VITA version. What a suprise, a good one this time

centipedia said:

May 27th, 7:53 am

Thank you Square, I am happy with my digital vita version

KazeEternal said:

May 27th, 8:12 am

Wait you release this instead of Final Fantasy Adventure and I Am Setsuna?

Fine. Just PLEASE GIVE VITA OWNERS THOSE TWO GAMES!!!!

RSevo09 said:

May 27th, 8:20 am

I hope Vita owners show Square we’ll buy their games by buying the hell out of DQ Builders. Maybe they’ll go back and give us Mana and Setsuna.

bri0654 said:

May 27th, 8:41 am

And Romancing SaGa 2 for Vita, Pretty Please Square Enix!

RSevo09 said:

May 27th, 8:17 am

Day 1 on Vita.

Thanks for bringing the vita version over Square. It almost makes up for Adventures of Mana, I Am Setsuna, and Romancing Saga 2 these would all be day 1 for me, and many others, on Vita.

Please think about bringing DQ Heroes 2 for Vita as well.

Thank you again. Vita gamers buy lots of games, please realize we’re a relatively small user base but we love our Japanese games ;)

RenderMonk said:

May 27th, 8:22 am

I just wanted to add my appreciation for the game coming to the Vita. It’s a fantastic handheld and it deserves more support. I too would have preferred to by a physical copy of the game, but if it was digital or nothing, I’ll take it.

Dan Seto's Avatar

Neal Pabon said:

May 27th, 8:26 am

Hi everyone! Neal here, from Square Enix America. We’re incredibly excited about this announcement, but we’re even more excited that you’re excited!

Cesar-HMeraz said:

May 27th, 9:49 am

Neal!

Will your DQ Builders hero profile picture be available for us mortals, too?

I would love to have some DQ characters as a PSN icon (as much as I love Hope from FF XIII, I love DQ even more).

locolukah said:

May 27th, 11:34 am

Yeah, that profile pic is awesome…I would love to see some DQ pics made available.

manobon said:

May 27th, 8:34 am

Just wanted to join the chorus of Vita owners and say – Thanks for bringing this stateside! Hope even more SE games make it over as well!

dkarlowicz10 said:

May 27th, 8:40 am

Not much of a builder but it is nice to see these come to North America. Maybe consider these games:

Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy on PS4
Hitman Trilogy on PS Vita
Tomb Raider (new or old) on PS Vita
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 for Vita and PS4

Alienzero2k1 said:

May 27th, 8:51 am

already bought this game twice but 3rd times a charm too lol

Bijatron said:

May 27th, 9:04 am

Dan/Neal,

Thank you to everyone at Square Enix America for bringing this game west. It’s a really fun title, and I’m excited to play more of it! I’ll definitely pick this up on PS4!

As far as the digital-only news for the Vita, I’m a bit torn by the news, and I just wanted to share my thoughts. I am a HUGE supporter of the Vita and PSTV. Usually, my mindset is “vote with your dollars” to see more of things that are important to you. However, in these digital-only circumstances, I’m not able to clearly send the message I want to send. On one hand, if I don’t buy the game, I’m sending you the message that “I don’t want this game localized.” On the other hand, if I buy the game, I’m saying, “it’s ok if it’s digital only; I’ll take it no matter what.” As a result of that, I always feel like I’m in this weird lose-lose scenario that lets a bit of the wind out of my sails. I know I’m not alone with this opinion because there are plenty of comments that share a similar outlook.

Bijatron said:

May 27th, 9:05 am

( I hit the character limit >_> )
    Vita memory cards are expensive, and long-time DQ fans love collecting the physical games. This is certainly no exception. I hope you can please consider some kind of exclusive offering for Vita carts. Perhaps through the SE online store or something?

paulogy said:

May 27th, 9:26 am

Excellent! I was very interested in this when it was first announced, so I’m glad I’ll have a chance to play it for myself, now (and on the Vita, too!)

Can you cross-save your progress between the Vita and PS4 versions?

Cesar-HMeraz said:

May 27th, 9:46 am

Great news! I can lie, I would love a retail version of the Vita game, but the fact it was even released should be good enough.

I love the Vita and I love Dragon Quest. I hope we can see more of this combination (like Heroes II).

Thanks for giving DQ the attention it deserves.

WrekGar said:

May 27th, 9:48 am

Not a big fan of RPG’s nor am I a fan of Minecraft graphics, this takes the parts I am a fan of and makes me want it. Can not wait to get this on my PS4 and my Vita.

boxmyth said:

May 27th, 10:06 am

Yay for more Dragon Quest! One of my favorite gaming series, even the spin-offs (especially Rocket Slime).

Slimwiggins said:

May 27th, 10:36 am

So excited for this! I almost imported the Vita version from Japan the other day even though I don’t know the language. Now to hibernate until October!

JOSePh4-117 said:

May 27th, 10:38 am

This looks great! But no physical release for the Vita? Why not? I want to own an actual copy of the game! Come on!
Physical cartridges shouldn’t be things to shy away from! They should be the standard!

STLblue said:

May 27th, 10:57 am

So glad this is coming Stateside! Day 1 purchase for me!! Please keep going and make DQ 1 – 10 available for PSN, Vita. This would be the greatest announcement ever for me! Thank you

saveur said:

May 27th, 10:58 am

Thank you so much, Square Enix!! Between Heroes, VII, VIII, and now this, you guys have been rocking the Dragon Quest releases/announcements lately! Picking this up (and VII/VIII) day-one, no doubt about it. Hoping Heroes II and XI are getting some consideration for a western release as well.

likeliverpool said:

May 27th, 11:07 am

I think my heart skipped a beat when I saw VITA. Can’t wait to play this and World of Final Fantasy on the go! I’ll be getting this game on both platforms to show support for further PS4/Vita localisations. Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrusaderForever said:

May 27th, 11:10 am

This has made my day! I have been waiting for this announcement ever since it was announced in Japan! Thank you so much SE for bring this to the PS4!

Figboy said:

May 27th, 11:43 am

This looks absolutely adorable!

I love Dragon Quest (I’d love to see Dragon Quest VII PS2 classic released on PS4 one day…cough cough).

Anyway, I’m super excited that this is also coming out for the Vita! I’d love for it to be cross-buy, but if not, I’ll probably get the PS4 version for my wife, and the Vita version for myself!

Hakumen__ said:

May 27th, 12:02 pm

I’m so glad SE is finally localizing a PS Vita game!

I haven’t played Minecraft, but I’m willing to give this game a shot.

I hope this opens the door for more PS Vita localizations, such as Adventures of Mana, I Am Setsuna, Romancing Saga 2 and even Dragon Quest Heroes 2.

I also want to say that while Type-0 HD for PS4 was disappointing due to the incomplete remastering work, I would be willing to give it a shot on the PS Vita, where its PSP graphics won’t be as noticeable nor feel so out of place.

VinsanityV21 said:

May 27th, 1:28 pm

SO EXCITED! :D

I played the demo from the JP PSN store (thank you alt account) and I LOVED IT! Its so fun, so good looking, and adding structure to Minecraft-style gameplay actually makes those games GOOD. I wanted more of a DQ Builders-type experience so much, I bought Portal Knights on Steam, lol. I did not see this coming at all! Consider this BOUGHT, Square. I can’t wait to play this!

Also happy to see you guys taking on publishing a Dragon Quest solo again, since the last few have involved partners like Koei Tecmo (Heroes. Btw, please announce Heroes 2’s western release this year) or Nintendo (for Dragon Quest IX, VII, and VIII now). This makes me happy :) Seems you guys are really committed to Dragon Quest in the West currently! I’m always gonna be crossing my fingers that, in time, we’ll get DQ XI for PS4 someday (and probably NX and Steam). But I’ll snap up whatever we get, because any Dragon Quest is an amazing title :D

Thanks Square!

softcorps said:

May 27th, 1:40 pm

I sincerely hope there will be a physical Vita version, even if it’s a limited run.

As much as I would like to play and support an English release of the game, if it’s digital only, I’ll strongly consider just importing the game. Thankfully, the Vita is region-free.

ShadowStar83x said:

May 27th, 1:46 pm

Very excited about this!

Elmagrhi95 said:

May 27th, 4:20 pm

Great news! More love for the Vita SE :)

NEOMERCER said:

May 27th, 5:10 pm

Every time I see “Digital Only” for Vita I want to pull my hair out o.O I just want a physical release! I hate having to keep deleting things off of my memory card and I don’t want to shell out half the price of a Vita for another one! T___T I would prefer not to have to import either so maybe I’ll just get the PS4 version. This will be the first Dragons Quest game I’ll have played ever.

markshneider said:

June 2nd, 7:25 am

It’s definitely better than hearing “no vita no buy” all the time Square Enix posts something. For me, I’m grateful for the change, honestly.

Septrelo said:

May 27th, 5:59 pm

Yass! I almost bought this on the Japanese store. MineCraft with a fun setting and more RPG elements. Plus you don’t have to kill little piggies. Just Slimes.

SilentNova said:

May 27th, 6:29 pm

Wrong blog, but maybe Dragon Quest Collection US release? I would get all the DQ games on Vita and/or PS4 if that was an option as well.

FinalMacstorm said:

May 27th, 6:33 pm

Thank you for the Vita release. Setsuna, Adventures of Mana, and Romancing SaGa 2 would all be welcomed purchases for me on Vita as well if you’d give it a shot.

EmperorKorea said:

May 27th, 6:40 pm

Vita physical release please. I have no more space on Sony’s ridiculously overpriced propriety memory card.

PAGE 1 2