God of War

Jun 03

Jun 03

Bard’s Gold Out 6/17: No-Nonsense Platforming Action on PS4, PS Vita

Erdem Sen's Avatar Posted by Founder & Developer, Pixel Lantern

Hi, everyone!

My name is Erdem and I am from the microstudio Pixel Lantern, which actually consists of only my wife Jenny and me. With this blog post, I’d like to give you all some information on our new PS4 and PS Vita game, Bard’s Gold.

We’ve been working on it for about 18 months and are thrilled to announce that the game will launch on PS4 and PS Vita on June 17 for $4.99 with super sweet Cross-Buy support.

Do you remember how games felt back in the day? When platform games had this certain magical mood to them? No, I am not referring to pixel graphics or chiptune music. There was something else. A game’s soul that you were discovering while you played it. You played it again and again and got better at it. Finally, you were able to overcome enemies, bosses, and stages you previously thought you could never beat.

This is why we developed Bard’s Gold. We want to bring that magical mood, that soul, and that challenge back. That challenge in which players have to stand on their own and figure out even the basic game mechanics. Yup, you got that one right. There won’t be any tutorials in Bard’s Gold. No hand-holding, no watered down easy mode. That’s right, you are on your own. You have to figure out how to double jump on your own. Darn, I just spoiled the double jump! You know, the extraordinary movement that makes you jump higher by pressing the button once more while in the air. Well, that’s all the help I’m giving you.

Bard’s Gold is slower-paced than most modern platformers and takes its gameplay inspiration from late ’80s and early ’90s classics such as Rick Dangerous, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Rainbow Islands, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Erik, and Rodland. It features an original soundtrack that perfectly frames the atmosphere, soothes your soul and fills you with confidence as you overcome levels you once thought were unbeatable.

Speaking of levels, there are more than 100 of them. All have been handcrafted and are picked randomly for each playthrough. And if that is not enough to keep you playing over and over again, the game features a permanent upgrade system to make each and every one of your sessions count.

I hope you enjoy Bard’s Gold and experience the magical mood of past games. Welcome aboard the Nostalgia Train!

Add Your Own

ramzz51 said:

June 3rd, 6:10 am

Best slow-paced platformer ever

elmadin said:

June 3rd, 6:11 am

looks great! vita d1p for me

Superstone said:

June 3rd, 6:18 am

Day 1 buy. Thanks for supporting the Vita

Shimrra74 said:

June 3rd, 6:19 am

I spend more on my couple of coffee in the morning, this is definitely day one purchase for me. I can’t wait to play this on my PS Vita.

TimMalouff said:

June 3rd, 6:27 am

Will this game also support the PlaystationTV / Vita TV?

ramzz51 said:

June 3rd, 7:03 am

Yes. Bard’s Gold is supporting PSTV

Gametery said:

June 3rd, 10:16 am

Hello Shimrra74,

Yes it supports Vita TV .

God-Of-Lyf said:

June 3rd, 7:28 am

I have to admit you have my attention, and the promise of that old school gaming feel sounds good on paper/blog but we’ve heard that before. The price seems good so I’ll more than likely pick it up. In a crowded pool of indies and pixel games it’s always hard weeding out the good. Money has never been an issue I have faced so it has never been a matter of price, and I’m glad when I’m able to contribute to small team game company and it looks like you have the best team possible. A wife/husband duo can be a force to reckon with. I like the look, I like the pitch, maybe I can find something epic in your game…!

Enderet said:

June 3rd, 8:07 am

Hi yall, thank you for supporting the Vita. Will this have a platinum trophy?!

Kishnabe said:

June 3rd, 10:34 am

No platinum, sadly. Still looks fun….may get one day.

NinjaMicWZ said:

June 3rd, 9:26 am

Looks like it could be fun. I’ll check it out in video when it releases and $4.99 sounds fine.

marlyt said:

June 3rd, 10:07 am

Sorry but someone has to ask…Are you and Jen-nay like peas and carrots? Cool looking game. Thanks!

luvtoseek said:

June 3rd, 10:07 am

SPAM.

Stfu already…

luvtoseek said:

June 3rd, 10:08 am

Erdem, I’m in! This looks fun & I like a challenge.

What’s that timer in the 1st screenshot btw?

rudetoy said:

June 3rd, 10:44 am

Wow….an actually decent price for a change. Might dip into this.

Seluhir said:

June 3rd, 4:26 pm

Reminds me of a slower version of Rogue Legacy. I can certainly get behind that concept.

TheHerbinator75 said:

June 4th, 4:59 am

Looks like my mind of old school platforming fun and the $4.99 price point is super sweet.

Raat said:

June 6th, 7:10 am

You lost me a the levels are ‘picked randomly for each playthrough’. I understand the allure of this type of game mechanic (for better words), but I find the games to be bad and lacking focus. The price is really fair though.

The-Sper_man said:

July 2nd, 8:37 am

Please help! The Bard’s I like a lot, but she does not keep the games. I spent the first area and the game is now operational, but every time I start a game i spend the new area, and two on the third area is like a cave is killing me. I take the improvements to start with shield and the axe. When he died I assign the emerald points that I have the recojido improvements I think so comfortable. Right over there, but when I go to play the game begin again with nothing, like the first time i played it. I give you to take, and I start another game, do not leave me again like before reaching the third area, that is to say, with some extra hearts from the improvements and jewelry, a little better, but the shield of the axe and they are not and neither did leave the door open the third area. To summarize. I played, I keep the game, but not the other sobrescribe i play games and I have to take my game because I start like i play for the first time. Any solution? Someone else picked this failure? I have a PS4 k is perfect, and I do not have it filled with games.
Pardon my English, this book is a translation of the spanish.
Thank you.