Marvel's Spider-Man

Jun 06

Jun 06

Yooka-Laylee Soars to PS4 in Q1 2017

Andy Robinson's Avatar Posted by Communications Director, Playtonic Games

Hello, ladies and gentlemen of PlayStation. We’re Playtonic Games and we’re delighted to introduce the debut trailer for our game Yooka-Laylee, a new open-world platformer from the key creative talent behind genre classics Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country.

Yooka-Laylee is a love letter to classic platformer-adventure games, from a team of veterans responsible for some of the genre’s most iconic games. You can expect huge, beautiful worlds to explore, quirky characters to meet (and beat) and a vault-load of shiny collectibles to horde along the way. Oh, and a whole load of word puns.

Our heroes, Yooka (the green one) and Laylee (the wisecracking bat with the big nose) were conceptualized “from the ground up,” to quote our favorite marketing phrase, for stellar platforming gameplay. Using their arsenal of special moves such as Yooka’s tongue grapple and Laylee’s sonar shot, our heroes will tackle a huge variety of puzzles and platforming challenges in their search for Pagies, the golden bounty used to unlock — and expand — new worlds, each jammed to the gills with oddball characters and hulking bosses.

The magical Pagies will assist the buddy-duo in their ultimate mission to thwart corporate creep Capital B and his devious scheme to absorb all of the world’s books… and convert them into pure profit.

Using the hundreds of collectible Quills discovered during their travels, the buddy-duo will purchase and unlock moves from the serpent salesman Trowzer, which they can choose to do in virtually any order that the player decides. This is just one way which Yooka-Laylee empowers player choice, in addition to the ability to expand and make larger the worlds you’ve already explored and the unique Tonic gameplay modifiers which can be used to customise your play style.

During their travels Yooka and Laylee will encounter a huge cast of memorable characters, and our legendary art and audio teams have designed each critter to endure in future adventures as part of Playtonic Universe. Expect all manner of grunts, squeaks and squawks.

Today we’ve brought you just a glimpse of what we have planned for Yooka-Laylee, but there’s plenty more down our collective sleeves including unique boss fights, mine cart challenges, retro-tastic Arcade games, quiz shows, co-op and 8 unique multiplayer games!

Yooka-Laylee will release on PS4 in Q1 2017. We look forward to showing you much more of the lizard and bat’s adventure in the run up to release.

Add Your Own

omegazio said:

June 6th, 7:06 am

Keep the games coming Sony and i might get this i love platformers since Crash and Jak Daxter games

pixarplace said:

June 6th, 7:30 am

Me too! :)

mwatcher said:

June 6th, 9:30 am

Not published by Sony, BTW. Team 17 will be doing the honors.

CrusaderForever said:

June 6th, 7:17 am

What a beautiful game! D1P!

Runa216 said:

June 6th, 7:24 am

I fully admit I wasn’t on board with this game for the longest time. I came from an era of platformers in the NES and SNES era, and didn’t like when the genre went ‘3D-collect-a-thon” mode in the wake of Super Mario 64. I didn’t like that game, either of the Banjo-Kazooie games, the Donkey Kong 64 game, and I only kinda liked Jak and Daxter and Crash Bandicoot.

But this trailer has made a believer out of me. Now that I’m all grow’d up and can put my dislike for a certain genre styling aside, I can appreciate the occasional collect-a-thon without worries that it’s taking over the genre. I can enjoy this style of game freely without the hovering asterisk of fear that I’ll never get my sidescrolling, ‘get to the end’ platformers of yesteryear. We can have both, and that makes me happy.

Seriously, PlayTonic, I am very, very happy with what I see here. Keep up the great work.

Man, I love my PS4.

pixarplace said:

June 6th, 7:33 am

Yep! Can’t wait for Yooka-Laylee either!
    Hopely when this game comes out and is a critical (and maybe a commercial) success, there might be a bigger shine of 3D Platformers.

Even Playtonic Games already planned more for their future (creating a world where every game is linked to each other, like the fabled Stop’N’Swop). ;)

jipmg said:

June 6th, 7:24 am

OMFG! JIGGIES PAGIES and they talk just like b n k! You guys band k are a huge reason why I game today because I constantly play games to play something that rivals the greatness of b and k and tooie….. the best platformers I have ever played ( and I have played all of the big named ones including ratchet, Mario, donkey Kong, lbp, etc)! Thank you so much you guys for bringing them back in new bodies and a new world…. they deserve to be played by everyone! I hope this game sells loads of copies, platformers rule

pixarplace said:

June 6th, 7:33 am

Heck yeah! Platformers are the original king of video games!

pixarplace said:

June 6th, 7:36 am

I’m seriously gonna get this game for my PS4 next year! Looks colorful, clever, and does plenty of new things that Banjo-Kazooie never did before (a double jump then glide, sonar blasting enemies, camouflage, etc)

Playtonic Games, keep up the amazing work! I look forward to your game!

TimeSkipLuffy said:

June 6th, 8:11 am

Is this PS4 exclusive?

texbuk84 said:

June 6th, 8:15 am

Exactly TimeSkipLuffy! I want to know if it is a PS4 exclusive. will definitely be a day one purchase for me.

herthafan92 said:

June 6th, 8:37 am

I dont get how you could have missed it but this game originated on kickstarter and it comes to PC and consoles.

skorge16 said:

June 6th, 8:14 am

I am so excited for this game I can’t wait!!! Man i love my ps4!!!

ZombieRollz said:

June 6th, 8:21 am

This looks to be the best Platformer that has came out in a while. You guys have made something special! :D

Trendy_Kid said:

June 6th, 8:34 am

Looks amazing. Day 1 purchase! Can’t wait!

paulogy said:

June 6th, 9:15 am

This game continues to look delightful! I hope it serves up a heaping helping of whimsical fun, and if successful, will mean games like this and the latest Rachet & Clank may encourage more folks to create in this under-served market :-)

BlaqMagiq24 said:

June 6th, 9:26 am

Yeah my inner child still loves platformers. Of today and yesteryear. I have to get this game especially when the former devs of Rare put this much love and passion into it.

OnionKnight11 said:

June 6th, 9:58 am

Will there be a physical version of the game?

boxmyth said:

June 6th, 10:00 am

Backer! YooLay is one of my most anticipated games for PS4.

tazafraz said:

June 6th, 10:03 am

This looks absolutely amazing, like straight up, pure fun. Banjo-Kazooie, to this day, is still a fun game to just start up and run around in, and Yooka-Laylee looks to be the same. And with all of the changes and enhancements to the formula, I’m glad it doesn’t seem they’re tied down by their past. This was my most anticipated game of 2016, now it’s my most anticipated of 2017 at the moment. If anyone is interested I have a Yooka-Laylee community on PS4 to discuss the upcoming game, you can find it through my PSN ID.

Scaramanga1983 said:

June 6th, 10:16 am

I haven’t seen a game with bright colors like those in a long while.

wwwdotjames said:

June 6th, 11:09 am

Reminds me of Spyro the Dragon… With that being said I want to play it now. Love these types of games!

relient_eggs said:

June 7th, 4:45 am

Totally agree! Can’t wait!

locolukah said:

June 6th, 12:17 pm

Kickstarted this last year. Cannot wait!

PsychoCircus69 said:

June 6th, 5:21 pm

Thank god the “real” RARE team is back in business. These guys are responsible for some of my favorite childhood games. Donkey Kong Country, Banjo Kazooie, etc. I’m looking forward to the many good times these guys will help create!!!!

VinsanityV21 said:

June 6th, 9:41 pm

How did you guys make this so fast!? Jeez louise; there’s a lot of 3D Platformers besides the one I’m working on that have been in development for awhile and likely won’t land until 2017 or 2018. Won’t say which one I’m working on but between Skylar and Plux, Oliver and Spike: Dimension Jumpers, Clive & Wrench, A Hat in Time, MacBat 64, the final release of Poi, Happy Hell and others I’m forgetting, it’s clear that 3D Platformers take a looooong time to make with a small team, lol! I am truly, truly in awe of just how quickly Playtonic is working. Holy jeez, man. Looks fantastic!

Now all we need is for Sly Cooper 5 and/or Crash Bandicoot PS4 to get revealed at E3 proper and I’d say the genre is well and truly back :D

Plus, heck, let’s see Sonic Adventure 3 too, while we’re hoping for more high-profile 3D platformers to come back up Yooka Laylee and help bolster this genre comeback!

relient_eggs said:

June 7th, 4:44 am

This looks like a cross between Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, and Ratchet and Clank. And by that, I mean it looks amazing.

TERMINATOR543 said:

June 8th, 5:51 am

Looks very interesting. Definitely has that classic 3D platformer look to it, kinda bring back memories of the old Mario 64 days.