Paragon

Jun 13

Jun 13

Detroit: Become Human New Trailer, New Playable Character Detailed

David Cage's Avatar Posted by Director, Quantic Dream

After our announcement at Paris Games Week last summer, we are very excited to be at E3 to show you more about our next title Detroit: Become Human! Today, we debuted a new trailer based on in-game footage, and we wanted to tell you a little bit more about the story of Detroit and an update on the game.

THE WORLD OF DETROIT

Inspired by our short called “Kara” back in 2012, Detroit is a neo-noir thriller set in the near-future city of Detroit. Androids, who look exactly like human beings, have replaced humans in most tasks: they are workers, babysitters, gardeners, nurses, teachers, clerks. The story of Detroit starts with an unexplained incident that begins to affect the Androids. Some disappear without any explanation, others have unexpected behaviors and strangely show signs of emotions. The rumors of “deviant” androids start spreading, but no one seems to know what’s really happening…

CONNOR, THE DEVIANT HUNTER

After Kara, Connor is the second playable character we’re introducing.

Connor is an advanced prototype assigned to police forces to help them investigate cases involving deviants. He is cold and analytical; he thinks fast and benefits from some surprising advanced features. He is very determined and nothing matters more to him than accomplishing the mission he was programmed for.

In this new trailer, Connor is confronted with a tense hostage situation involving a deviant android holding a little girl and threatening to jump from a rooftop. Depending on your decisions and strategy, Connor will succeed or fail in saving the girl; survive or die. Your actions will lead to different outcomes and will have consequences far beyond this scene.

PLAY YOUR OWN STORY IN DETROIT

Detroit is based on concepts we created in our past games taken to another level (well, that’s the plan ;-)

Detroit is about playing the story. Through your actions and decisions you drive the story and face the consequences of your choices. You are in charge of the fate of these characters. You will become a “co-writer” who will have to make critical decisions that will impact the entire story and its world.

As you play as all of the characters, you’ll see the story from different perspectives. You will need to weigh each decision, as actions made by one character may have consequences on others. You will also need to avoid putting the characters at risk, because they can all die, and like in Heavy Rain, the story will continue without them.

A NEW ENGINE

A game is not a matter of technology and emotions don’t need the latest shader to be felt, but we really wanted the best for Detroit (ok, and we also like developing tech). We have developed a brand-new engine with many advanced features (new renderers, a new dynamic lighting engine, physically-based shaders, physical cameras, and much more cool stuff). If you are like me and these terms sound foreign to you, check out the video for yourself.

BECOME HUMAN

Detroit is about emotions, about dilemmas and making difficult decisions. Detroit is not just the story of androids becoming aware of themselves and their fight to be free, it is about a story that resonates at many levels in our world, about being free, about becoming who you are.

As always, we have put all our love and passion into this project, and we truly hope that you will enjoy seeing it as much as we enjoy working on it.

We still have a lot to work to do in order to make Detroit the truly unique experience we want to create, but we hope that you like this first look at gameplay.

Add Your Own

Hakumen__ said:

June 13th, 7:10 pm

Where are the PS Vita games???

Warp1280 said:

June 13th, 8:11 pm

Seriously? The Vita’s been dead for years. Did you really expect them to mention it?

softcorps said:

June 13th, 9:05 pm

According to wikipedia, there were around 70 PS Vita games released in 2015, for an average of about 1-2 releases every week. As of now, there are about 30 releases so far in 2016.

Gamer logic: If something’s not the best, it’s “dead”.

Anyway, I wouldn’t expect this particular game on the Vita due to the level of graphics.

TERMINATOR543 said:

June 14th, 8:42 am

Just like softcorps said, the Vita games are coming almost weekly, they just didn’t get mentioned during the show. We will likely here more on some during the week. PlayStation Experience in December will probably have more Vita stuff as well.

Grognard66 said:

June 13th, 7:16 pm

Where are the release dates for all of these?

AizawaYuuichi said:

June 13th, 8:37 pm

You really want them to announce release dates that will just get delayed?

I’d prefer to find out 3-5 months before release that the game is done and being polished up for release. I’m getting kind of tired of all the missed release dates this year, and would prefer we don’t have the same thing happen for the next year or two.

bestrader said:

June 13th, 11:25 pm

Yes, I’d like to see release dates, or at least target month/year. Not all game studios are as incompetent with releasing a finished game as Naughty Dog.

MisterAxle said:

June 14th, 6:36 am

I’m fine with release dates being flexible—I’d rather a game be just right than rushed to meet an arbitrary street date—but I would still like some kind of target ballpark.

Heavy Rain being my number two game on the PS3 (and AI ethics being one of my favorite sci-fi themes), this is a game I’m definitely looking forward to. A lot. But I don’t want the excitement and anticipation to burn bright and hot well before the game ever sees the light of day. I’ve already lost interest in Kingdom Hearts 3 because it was announced and hyped way too early.

BlackEcho64 said:

June 13th, 7:28 pm

I’m looking forward to this game the most!

paulogy said:

June 13th, 7:43 pm

Hi David. Wow, Detroit looks like it’s coming along quite nicely! Heavy Rain was one of my favorite PS3 games and this one seems to be a very worth successor to that. With a story about AI and humanity I imagine an additional playable character might be a human too? Very curious to see even more… :-)

Xorakka said:

June 13th, 7:56 pm

Super hyped!

Hayades said:

June 13th, 8:17 pm

This looked freaking amazing. Quantic dream as got my money as usual. By the way, are you guys going to bring Indigo prophecy to ps4 now that ps2 games are being ported over with trophies?

Chuckbait said:

June 17th, 10:09 am

It is confirmed, indigo prophecy comes out July 18 exclusively to PS4 for $14.99
    Gameinformer is reporting it comes out tomorrow, but they clearly cannot read? I don’t know why GI doesn’t proof read their articles.

Amnalehu said:

June 14th, 1:26 am

This game looks absolutely stunning! I loved Heavy Rain. David Cage is a master at story telling. This one goes on my must buy list! I really enjoyed playing Heavy Rain with the Move Controls. I hope Detroit will also be move compatible. Well done Mr Cage!

Welmosca said:

June 14th, 1:36 am

Looked great really great just like past Quantic Dream games…with you guys quality is guaranteed.Having said that I wasn’t expecting to play as a detective android but looks like we’ll also be playing as Kara and maybe even more characters,cool this is sounding a lot like Heavy Rain which is great…also the choices that the game provides are amazing.Day 1 buy.

BTW David Cage what you wrote there in “The World of Detroit” seemed like a sinopse of Ergo Proxy….ha you sure took inspiration from there.

OneManArmyAndres said:

June 14th, 6:22 am

David, i liked heavy rain but i think you should add more gameplay to your games maybe even a side quest mini game or something. CQC is history my man.

MisterAxle said:

June 14th, 6:30 am

I loved Heavy Rain, and I can’t wait for Detroit. I hope there’ll be some nifty CE stuff like a steelbook and wearables.

TERMINATOR543 said:

June 14th, 8:44 am

Everytime you guys release a new game, it seems to always shake the very foundation of games. This is by far the most interesting concept you’ve shown, I can’t wait to play this.

CaptReynolds said:

June 14th, 10:04 am

This is THE game I’m looking forward too. Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls are 2 of my top games of all time and I can’t wait to get my hands on this… :)

saab01 said:

June 14th, 2:19 pm

Looks amazing will defiantly give this a good when it comes out.

liebn0r said:

June 14th, 2:25 pm

Looks good.

Jupiter67 said:

June 14th, 3:35 pm

This is my kind of game. Can’t wait! Looking forward!

anszbd1 said:

June 16th, 3:08 am

Can we load the last save in this game if we accidentally make the wrong move? I don’t want to continue the story if the protagonist and the little girl die :(

Red-5x said:

June 29th, 2:10 pm

Hi:
What happened to THAT Amazing Engine you had for “The Dark Sorcerer”? I really hope you can be able to optimize the Engine and give us THAT ind of Graphics and effects for this Game.
Red 5.