Paragon

Jun 13

Jun 13

Farpoint Announced for PlayStation VR

Seth Luisi's Avatar Posted by Co-founder, Impulse Gear

Hello PS fans. I’m proud to introduce you to Impulse Gear and our first project, Farpoint.

Developed exclusively for play in PlayStation VR, Farpoint is an unnerving space adventure set on a hostile alien world. After crash landing you have to fight to survive as you explore and uncover the planet’s secrets. Your only hope of escape is to keep moving and discover the fate of your team.

Impulse Gear is a small independent developer based in downtown San Francisco. We founded Impulse Gear with one very important mission: to create virtual reality games that would live up to the expectations of you, the gamer. To do that, we worked closely with SIE to develop an entirely new way to play games with the PS VR Aim Controller.

PlayStation VR Aim Controller

The PS VR Aim Controller offers the most realistic and precise way to control our game. With direct 1 to 1 tracking, you aim in Farpoint just as you would in real life. How you hold and where you point the controller are directly matched in the game. This allows you to do things in Farpoint that just are not possible in a standard FPS game. It also provides an unbelievable sense of presence in the virtual world.

Farpoint

We will have a lot more information about Farpoint soon. In the meantime, feel free to follow Impulse Gear on your favorite social network.

Farpoint

Add Your Own

KazeEternal said:

June 13th, 9:32 pm

Will I be able to use the Sharp Shooter from PS3?

kyoukoku said:

June 13th, 10:01 pm

+1 ^^^^^^

Elvick_ said:

June 14th, 1:41 am

It’s just a piece of plastic, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

hedheed said:

June 16th, 8:30 am

Apparently not. I can’t say for certain but I heard from someone who had been on the show floor at e3 it’s a disappointing NO. I bought two in anticipation of PS VR.

Hakumen__ said:

June 13th, 9:43 pm

Where are the PS Vita games???

NORMCHACHO said:

June 13th, 10:57 pm

The game looks good. But as others have asked, will we be able to use the Sharpshooter? Anyways, look forward to playing this!

PRE_-CISION-_ said:

June 14th, 12:25 am

How about SOCOM instead Seth :) bring it back!

Amnalehu said:

June 14th, 1:00 am

I really enjoyed the demo and this is one of the PSVR games I really want to play. I still have a Nav and move controller as well as the sharp shooter. I hope this will work with the sharp shooter but i must admit, I do like the look and simplicity of the AIM controller. Either way I am definitely looking forward to playing Farpoint!

Syrlis said:

June 14th, 2:52 am

I too would like to see Sharp Shooter support for this and other FPS VR games. It has buttons on it, independent of the Move and Nav controller. I imagine that means it would need some kind of development support to use those buttons with games. The new AIM controller is fine for new comers, but the Sharp Shooter looks a lot nicer to me (probably feels better as well).

Please give serious consideration, thanks guys!

Thundercleese_83 said:

June 14th, 5:20 am

This looks great! Day one for me. I just wish that we will have more informations about different type of controllers, bundles, etc. If I have to buy two moves and the aim controller, plus the games and the VR headset, it’s starting to look like a lot of money to have the “real VR experience”.

Tinye310 said:

June 14th, 6:05 am

Baby steps

brigero said:

June 14th, 5:30 am

Where’s the love for early fans who bought the PS Move sharpshooter controller?
I thought you guys said that you won’t be including the move controller to the VR bundle because you expect the biggest fans to already have brought the move controllers during PS3 era.
Please let us use our sharpshooter controller on VR games.

D-Squad3 said:

June 14th, 6:08 am

will we see a trailer with actual shooting?

KlawUK said:

June 14th, 6:14 am

Does it have a stock attachment to hold against my shoulder?

Fuhr31 said:

June 14th, 9:15 am

Oh… I just asked the same question… lol

sealum01 said:

June 14th, 7:42 am

I am *so* in! I’ve been waiting for a full-length VR action/adventure, and this looks to be it. This is a day-one purchase for me, and at the top of my to-buy list!

I’m also going to buy the PSVR Aim controller!

smurfmanx said:

June 14th, 7:54 am

i already have a move and nav controller. cant i just use that? i like tge game but im not buying an accessory to use with one game.

KAPADO said:

June 14th, 8:17 am

When I first saw this my first thought was.” Wait aren’t VR FPS games supposed to not be goid looking ,or impossible to achieve.
Sony is going to ruin my social life with VR. But I don’t care.

Fuhr31 said:

June 14th, 9:14 am

Is there going to be a shoulder rest attachment so that you can actually hold it like a rifle?

NYPUNK88 said:

June 14th, 9:54 am

Looks sleek and sexy.

Amnalehu said:

June 14th, 1:46 pm

Will the aim feature any vibration or feedback? I think that’s something very important for VR.

TheGreatTave said:

June 15th, 4:31 am

Yes it will. I asked the developer on twitter (@ImpulseGear) and they said the PS VR Aim controller has lots of rumble. :D

saab01 said:

June 14th, 2:28 pm

Looks like an interesting game but I don’t know why it’s just for ps vr me myself I don’t see myself interested in the vr. And the price of the vr is like buying a whole other console. Would wish this could be playable by dualshock 4.

TheGreatTave said:

June 15th, 4:32 am

I read somewhere that it will be fully playable via a traditional controller.

zeil999 said:

June 14th, 2:42 pm

For those wondering if you could use your existing Sharpshooter attachment, I would say no. And here’s why: What this blog post failed to mention is the fact that the Aim controller has TWO analog sticks. Using the Sharpshooter only lets you have one analog stick. This one addition will absolutely change the way the game plays and how you control your character. Instead of pointing the gun in the direction you want your character to turn, you will have the option to use that 2nd stick to turn your character while keeping your gun aimed forward. I would imagine this will be a much more natural way of controlling VR in a FPS. I think it would be worth it to just buy an Aim controller.

brigero said:

June 21st, 6:29 am

I’m still hoping they’d use the existing Sharpshooter, though it has low chances.
    They were abe to do it on the PS3, though.

kyoukoku said:

June 21st, 9:29 am

I only see one Analogue stick in the picture of the Aim controller, so where’s this second one you speak of hiding?

dizeeStL said:

June 14th, 5:07 pm

seth, get your team to remaster Socom 2 and enjoy the money being thrown yours and sonys way.

Zoryu_of_Setsuna said:

June 14th, 6:14 pm

I was very impressed with this. I definitely can’t wait to try it out. Time to save up for the PSVR.

Smaguns said:

June 14th, 8:29 pm

cant wait any longer for vr it look realy good and am very impresses for the effort put in to make this. great job guys cant wait to try playstation vr!

TheGreatTave said:

June 15th, 4:33 am

Is this a launch title? I’m hearing some people say it is but I haven’t seen anything concrete on that.

IG_Stickman said:

June 15th, 5:24 pm

To everyone wondering about nav+move+sharpshooter compatability…someone on Twitter asked the devs on their Impulse Gear page and they said “Unfortunately, no. The PSVR Aim controller is a completely new controller and we developed the game for the PSVR Aim and DS4.”

My guess, besides button layouts, is that the Aim also has more motion sensing ability. For example, you can rotate the controller in your hands and see the gun make the same motion 1:1. I’m not sure the move/nav can do that. Anyway, I also have all those accessories and would love to be able to use them instead of having to buy another dust-collecting peripheral. It’s odd no one is using the nav controllers at all.

KatsuragiLover said:

June 16th, 11:21 am

Seriously that Aim Controller looks like some weird sex toy, you guys really need to redesign that thing into something better.

sealum01 said:

June 17th, 1:24 pm

Farpoint is now my #2 most wanted PS4 game (incl. peripheral) to get this October. I am incredible excited to have a genuine adventure in VR. What sets this apart is that it isn’t an arcade-like VR game, a demo of gameplay, or a game that leans on multiplayer. I feel that VR has the potential to make adventures much more memorable and impactful than via traditional means.

Will PSVR Aim have haptics? Will there be a rumble in the controller when the gun is shot?

OnTheBus666 said:

June 19th, 6:22 am

This looks rad and the new aim controller looks ok but I wish it had a stock. The sharpshooter felt great in my hands but i thing the missing great feature is a stock that is a button. That way shouldering the device would trigger the aim down sight function, basically just map the L2 button to the stock pad/button

Halloweenie06 said:

June 19th, 7:11 am

Excellent! This is precisely what I was hoping to see. I’m glad I have my preorder in.

QuadraQ said:

July 13th, 11:52 am

Why isn’t the game or the controller available for pre-order on Amazon?