Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Jun 13

Jun 13

Insomniac’s New PS4-Exclusive Spider-Man Game Revealed, First Trailer

Bryan Intihar's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone,

Today at PlayStation’s Press Conference, we revealed our new Spider-Man game coming exclusively to PlayStation 4. (Surprise!) You can see the trailer below. There are a few fun details embedded throughout the piece, so take your time watching!

From a personal and professional standpoint, this is a dream come true. I’ve been an avid Marvel fan all my life. When I first learned Insomniac was approached by our long-time friends and collaborators at Sony Interactive Entertainment with the opportunity to create a blockbuster Spider-Man console game experience, I practically ran into Ted’s office professing my passion for Spider-Man – along with a desire to serve as creative director. Fortunately, there are many more longtime fans and professional admirers of Marvel at Insomniac. From comics to films and TV, Marvel has a stellar reputation for unique characters and storytelling filled with personality and humor. Those are tenets we value deeply in our own craft.

From our first meeting, Marvel, Spider-Man and Insomniac have felt like a match made in heaven. So much so that for the first time in Insomniac’s 22-year history, we’re working on an IP that didn’t originate in-house. We love building big games, with incredible gameplay, deep stories, and beautiful graphics. Spider-Man is one of the most iconic and well-known characters in the world, and we’re thrilled to be given the responsibility to create a brand-new, authentic Spider-Man story. Nope, this isn’t the same Spider-Man you’ve met before, nor is our game based on the upcoming movie. This is a more seasoned Peter Parker who’s more masterful at fighting big crime in New York City. At the same time, he’s struggling to balance his absurdly chaotic personal life and career. All while nine million New Yorkers depend on him for their safety… no pressure indeed.

This collaboration also allows us to quickly return to action developing on PS4. Having released Ratchet & Clank, we feel confident in our ability to create a showpiece for the console. And we’re downright giddy bringing Spidey’s acrobatic abilities, improvisation, and web-slinging to life. But we also want to introduce new elements that players have never experienced with Spider-Man, ranging from traversing with parkour and utilizing the environment, to new combat and blockbuster set-pieces.

We can’t wait to share more about our Spider-Man game in the months to come. For all the latest, follow Insomniac Games on Twitter or Like us on Facebook.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

G-Force08 said:

June 13th, 7:45 pm

A match made in heaven. Can’t wait for this.

SLEEPYsleep said:

June 14th, 11:17 am

I know you guys will make the best Spidey game yet. If your looking for inspiration and you haven’t yet done so, please play these games… Spiderman Web of Shadows (PS3) and Maximum Carnage (SNES) The best ever for simple reasons. Awesome Web slinging that didn’t RELY on Stopping Time to choose which direction to go. Excellent combat with perfectly paced progression. Cool cameos. And proper secrets collectibles and actual hidden areas.

PanTheMan16 said:

June 15th, 2:23 am

SLEEPYsleep, have you not played Spiderman 2 on PS2? If not, then I’m afraid you don’t actually know what a good Spiderman game is. :/

booni91 said:

June 25th, 1:33 am

When is the release date?

Parasitepaladin said:

June 13th, 7:54 pm

YES. Thank you so much for making this! I have faith in you guys that you will make this a great game!

Tinye310 said:

June 13th, 8:20 pm

Thinking the same thing

Hakumen__ said:

June 13th, 7:55 pm

Where are the PS Vita games???

JRey38 said:

June 13th, 9:47 pm

They all suffer a tragic death and are now decomposing in their graves. Unfortunately the PS Vita has been dead for quite some time now.

Lamalord94 said:

June 16th, 8:00 pm

PS Vita is not dead, don’t talk about my sweet prince like that. It’s not like Sony didn’t mention it even once at the press conference…

ColonelOCorn said:

June 13th, 8:12 pm

Sooooo good, you guys. Can’t wait to play this one. First Ratchet and now Spidey? NICE.

gameman15 said:

June 13th, 8:14 pm

Finally a Spider-Man game on PS4 that’s going to be awesome. I didn’t buy that Amazing Spider-Man 2 movie game because of all the bad rep it got not just from the critics but the general public as well (maybe as a PS Plus game I might get it).

cherith said:

June 18th, 12:38 pm

I recommend playing it if just for the web-swinging. It’s not spider-man 2 quality, but its the closest I’ve seen since the ps2 days. Buy it for cheap, the story is ok, the combat is bland but functional, the side missions are a little too plentiful, but ignoring them makes swinging around much more exciting at the end of the game. lots of costumes too. food for thought, but I paid 10 bucks for it and don’t regret it. plus you can get black suit for like a buck as dlc.

Fruorin said:

June 20th, 7:03 am

I’m playing it now and am planning on platinuming it (which is rare for me). If you love Spider-Man and don’t expect this game to be on par with like Batman Arkham games then I think you’ll have a good time. Story is crappy but short. The web-swinging in my opinion is really nice. I get a rush every time I fall and catch myself right as I’m about to hit the ground. Get it for cheap and I think you’ll get your money’s worth.

brn-dn said:

June 13th, 8:14 pm

I’m not even a huge fan of Spider-Man or superheroes in general but I am a huge fan of Insomniac making exclusives for PlayStation! This will be amazing!

By the way, thanks for the Crash trilogy remaster but now we NEED a Spyro trilogy remaster. Please Sony!

ZachAttack991 said:

June 14th, 12:31 am

We used up all our wishes this year though lol

Spidey817 said:

June 13th, 8:26 pm

Can’t wait to play it.

MGN1990 said:

June 13th, 8:27 pm

Insomniac is gonna give Spider-Man the same love that Rocksteady gave Batman. I’m on board!
Thank you! You’re gonna nail this

paulogy said:

June 13th, 8:30 pm

And I can’t wait to see more! This was such a pleasant surprise at an already jam-packed conference. You’re really on a roll with the latest R&C, so I’m looking forward to this new Spider-Man even more :-)

DaRealSHMK19 said:

June 13th, 8:32 pm

PlayStation is the shizz nit

Renan_Acid said:

June 13th, 8:35 pm

Looks amazing! Great work, Insomniac! You guys rock! :D Oh, and #BringBackSpyro now that Crash is coming back. :D

Krillinfan said:

June 22nd, 5:47 am

Heck, I’d settle for making the original Spyro trilogy playable on Vita.

lamburgine25 said:

June 13th, 8:41 pm

YESSS YESSSS IM SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW THANKS U PALYSTSTION

opikal said:

June 13th, 8:44 pm

Amazing and all, but where is sucker punch?

PanTheMan16 said:

June 15th, 2:24 am

Waiting for next year’s E3, most likely. :)

cherith said:

June 18th, 12:40 pm

Sucker punch would make a killer daredevil game. maybe they’ll be showing up closer to the holidays.

TheGuardianFID said:

June 13th, 8:44 pm

My jaw is still on the floor lol, just take my money, I don’t need to see anything else!

Astroking112 said:

June 13th, 8:50 pm

Can’t lie, as much as I’m wanting a Ratchet and Clank follow-up, this game looks really nice and I’ve had a blast with Spider-Man in the past. Hopefully the story’s amazing and showcases plenty of memorable fights against his plethora of villains.

Still though, Insomniac, a continuation of Ratchet and Clank would be greatly appreciated. I’d be perfectly fine with the movies being scrapped and an Up Your Arsenal remake being made (with the movie plot differences, especially about Nefarious, being Qwark’s secret discovered in the side-scrolling minigames).

racing_sloth said:

June 13th, 8:57 pm

Holy crap. I never knew Insomniac and Spider-Man would work so well together. As a hardcore fan of Insomniac, I’m very much looking forward to this…

oh, and sneak in a little Ratchet easter egg. ;)

Hayterfan said:

June 13th, 9:04 pm

James Arnold Taylor as Venom?

Thwip said:

June 13th, 9:07 pm

I’m an older Spider-Man fan, so I’m jaded, as such; I don’t really like the costume shown here. However, I have faith in Insomniac (big Resistance fan), and I’m confident they’ll do my favourite superhero justice; please don’t let me down.

PS: alternate costume DLC at launch (traditional red and blue), and I’ll buy it all.

TurismoM3 said:

June 13th, 10:29 pm

You’ll buy it alternate costume or not.

ZachAttack991 said:

June 14th, 12:34 am

I’m a die hard spidey fan as well, and I agree I’m all about the traditional red and blue. But I have a feeling soon as you jump from a tall building and shoot that first web… Yeah I doubt we’ll care anymore lol

infamousguy12238 said:

June 13th, 9:20 pm

can you guys add it to ps vita too?it will be an amazing acomplishment beacause people have not created a new ps vita game in a long time.

roccolou said:

June 13th, 9:23 pm

Great news, just go easy on the collectibles.

Ralstonizer said:

June 13th, 9:26 pm

Can’t help but wonder why they would make such ugly changes to his costume though. I hope there are at least alternates to switch to.

cherith said:

June 18th, 12:46 pm

They’ll definitely include alternates, its practically required for spidey games. But personally I like it, Spidey changes suits pretty often in the comics, why not give him a new one in the game?

McWorked_You said:

June 13th, 9:28 pm

To me, this is the best news from all of E3 so far.

To everyone at Insomniac: Good luck! No matter what you do, stay true to the character and you can’t go wrong. So excited to play! I’ll be there day one.

Sarges24 said:

June 13th, 9:29 pm

Looking Great!! Hope it’s a blast like Ultimate Spiderman (PS2) but has more depth and variety to it. Surely Insomniac can deliver! Keep up the great work & can’t wait to get my web slinging, web swinging, curb stomping Spidey game on.

GODSFAVORITE said:

June 13th, 9:32 pm

I need this on PSN for pre-order right away. Sony pls

djsaiyan said:

June 13th, 9:55 pm

Those sure are some Inner Demons in the trailer. Mr. Negative confirmed, woo!

cherith said:

June 18th, 12:46 pm

I know! A great choice for a spidey game that includes peter parker as well as his alter ego.

Buddah969 said:

June 13th, 9:59 pm

I don’t like the costume…. that said the game looks fantastic, spectacular, maybe even amazing

SilentNova said:

June 14th, 11:03 pm

Small correction that I will likely get corrected on later. Are you not missing sensational? Note this is more a joking thing.

M_N04H said:

June 13th, 10:18 pm

Game looks gorgeous, looking forward to it

Reverseshift said:

June 13th, 10:36 pm

Spider-Man is quite possibly my favorite character ever so this announcement was the highlight of the night for me. And Insomniac are developing the game! :D

BlaqMagiq24 said:

June 13th, 10:41 pm

Probably the first Spiderman I will care about since Spiderman and 2 Enter Electro on PS1.

Enigma777 said:

June 13th, 10:45 pm

Hmmm, I though Sucker Punch was the one supposed to be working on this game. Wonder if that means we’ll get another Infamous soon…

Anyways, I’m pretty excited for this.

Welmosca said:

June 14th, 2:01 am

It’s been 2 years already since Second Son released.An announcement of a new Infamous is popping up anytime soon.

HeroicHandle said:

June 13th, 10:58 pm

Hope to hear more details on the webslinging, I’ve always wanted another Spider-Man game with web mechanics like Spider-Man 2.

Amnalehu said:

June 14th, 12:41 am

All I can say is that it’s a great time to be a PS4 owner! E3 was incredible!

Rock_-_Heavy said:

June 14th, 1:54 am

What I loved the most about certain Spider-Man games in the past is to swing and traverse around the city with the learned acrobatics skills to do so whilst still going full speed…I would still be playing the game JUST do that for hours even after completing the main story. It had so much replay-value for me personally as a fan!

Insomniac already create brilliant stories – So if the parkour, acrobatic abilities, and web-slinging actually attaching to buildings is done correctly whilst free roaming around the environment (even after 100% completion!)…This will be THE game Spider-Man truly deserves, and what we’ve all been waiting for!

TragicOnTheBeat said:

June 14th, 3:28 am

I cried tears of joy watching this trailer. I’m going sell my car, my kids and my balls for devotion to this game. Nothing comes before SPidey

AssassinKing1990 said:

June 14th, 4:54 am

Now this looks awesome, take notes Activision watch as Insomniac takes the game you originally had the rights to and turns into something that you never could

Deadpoolian said:

June 14th, 7:14 am

I love how excited you guys are about being approached for this project! What an awesome opportunity, so happy for you all!

As a long time Marvel and Ratchet & Clank fan, I am beyond excited to see your take on Spiderman.

Deadpoolian said:

June 14th, 7:15 am

Oh, and I love the suit! I’ve seen a lot of people complaining about the white in it, but I actually like it quite a lot.

Fruorin said:

June 20th, 7:09 am

I like the suit too. I think it’ll just take people some getting used to. On Twitter they said there was a reason for the white spider.

SavoyPrime said:

June 14th, 8:02 am

I like what I see, aside from the costume. That costume is uuuuuuuuuugly.

danjer047 said:

June 14th, 8:03 am

I. Can’t. Wait. I’ve been wanting a good Spider-Man game since Spider-Man 2. Just get the swinging right, avoid repetition in the mission structure, and I will be happy.

Seluhir said:

June 14th, 8:29 am

I’ve liked most of what Insomniac has done, and I’ve liked most of the Spiderman games that have come out recently… so I’m definitely excited.

TERMINATOR543 said:

June 14th, 8:55 am

This was definitely a huge surprise. Its so good to see you guys at home where on PlayStation where you belong. I know this will be in good hands with you guys and you will go out to create the best Spider-man game since Spider-man 2.

Zoner37 said:

June 14th, 9:16 am

What’s up with that awful looking white Spider logo on his costume? I hope they change that before release or at least give us the option of changing it. It just does not suit Spidey well at all. Maybe if they made the logo an orange or gold color would be better. Or back to good old black.
Why couldn’t they give him his Civil War look? That was perfect. I was so looking forward to using Civil War Spidey in a game!

Nitecrawler said:

June 14th, 10:40 am

Hopefully they will have different unlockable suits like Ultimate,Superior, Symbiote, etc!!!

Krillinfan said:

June 22nd, 6:54 am

Nah, orange or gold would clash horribly man.

Figboy said:

June 14th, 9:16 am

I can’t wait! I’m a huge fan of both Insomniac and Spider-Man, so this was a dream pairing for me.

Welmosca said:

June 14th, 10:36 am

I don’t have any faith in Insomniac although I’m a big fan of both Ratchet and Resistance but this was the best news from the whole E3.I’m a huge Spidey fan and having a Spidey game in the hands of Sony is like a dream coming true…I can’t believe we’ll finally have a good Spidey game cuz its been like what 16 years?…last good Spidey game I saw was Spider-Man 2 on PS1.Anyway I believe this has 0 chance of going wrong the trailer looks great.

I can’t wait to see more about it.

Nitecrawler said:

June 14th, 10:38 am

I’M CRYING FROM ALL THE HAPPINESS!!!!!!!!!!

Fuhr31 said:

June 14th, 10:56 am

I don’t mind changes to costume and such, but that big white spider looks so out of place. Will likely give this game a go if it reviews well.

bruceisthebat said:

June 14th, 12:31 pm

I am very excited for this game coming out spidey is my second favorite super hero and always will be. I love the suit but I am hoping there will be dlc so we can get more suits to swing around in the city. I am looking forward to getting this game than any other. Thank you for this game I am literally praising it hahaha I’m super thrilled.

essaabdulhamid said:

June 14th, 12:49 pm

LOVE THE NEW COSTUME!!!!!!!!

RedSamurai60 said:

June 14th, 1:19 pm

PLEASE CHANGE THE SUIT. or make more suits you can wear. Also add a time system Pls. The suit looks Bad honestly.

smurfmanx said:

June 14th, 1:31 pm

please get rid of the huge ugly white spider or at lwasr let us choose which suit to wear at the beginning instead of an unlockable.

i cant play the game with that ugly white spider in my face

KURO-OOKAMI167 said:

June 14th, 1:53 pm

Looks like Insomniac is about to do for Spidey what Rocksteady did for Batman! This looks positively amazing (heh-heh) so far, and I can’t wait for this to come out! I’m hoping for alternate costumes from the comics and shows, and with the eye dilation, definitely wanting the Civil War costume from the movie; Black Cat team up or at least an appearance; Venom boss battle; a gracious cameo from the man himself (you know who); and and I hope the controls are as smooth as this teaser makes em look! I have never been more hyped for Spider-Man! Godspeed Insomniac Games! Excelsior!!!
Also, does anyone else hear Yuri Lowenthal or is it just me?

pk-bobbin said:

June 14th, 6:39 pm

#BringBackTobey for the “Spider-Man 4” movie at http://chn.ge/1hwxeEi

Also they should use Christopher Daniel Barnes as his voice in this new game, he was great in the Spider-Man animated series.

PAGE 1 2