PlayStation Vue - One Punch Man

Jun 28

Jun 28

Energy Hook Swings to PS4 July 5

Jamie Fristrom's Avatar Posted by Chief Scientist, Happion Laboratories

Hey everybody! Some people are getting tired of hearing this, but back in 2002 I was the technical director on the Spider-Man 2 game, and I was the one who originally prototyped its ground-breaking swinging mechanic. Fast forward several years and I decided to revisit swinging gameplay as an indie dev, creating an all-new swinging experience that still captures that same visceral joy – mostly by myself!

That was in 2012! Four years later, it’s finished: Energy Hook. (Finally!)

Energy Hook is the extreme sport of the future. You swing from a grapple beam, run on walls, jump and boost with your jetpack, and do flips and poses midair, all to earn style points. Chain your tricks to get multipliers for massive scores.

There are also race challenges where you’ll swing through the levels as quickly as possible. Doing tricks earns you boost and keeps you in the air longer; use this to your advantage and get the best time possible!

Like the early Tony Hawk games there’s no story — it’s all about the gameplay!

The levels are done by different artists so each has its own flavour. There’s a cyberpunk city; a level of rocks and islands floating in the clouds; Tron-like challenge levels; and levels where if you miss your swing you’ll fall to your doom. (And respawn immediately, of course.)

There’s nothing else like it. I’ve never put so much of myself into a game. This is my magnum opus – the best game I’ve ever made. I still get lost in it and lose all sense of time. I hope you like it too!

Add Your Own

Marine-Sgt_Blake said:

June 28th, 6:14 am

I remember playing Spider-Man 2 way back with my father and how we loved the swinging mechanics on there. Huge improvement over Spider-Man. Will definitely check this game out.

iamtylerdurden1 said:

June 28th, 3:49 pm

Is the VITA version cancelled?

Disappointed there is no sp campaign, i think it was a huge mistake not adding one in.

I’ve been following this game for a long time, the tricks and mechanics need to be flawless for this game to hold up without a story. You are betting everything on the quality of gameplay.

Spider-man 2 was perhaps the greatest superhero game of all-time, so it does bode well for this game. Energy Hook needed to be day 1 VITA crossbuy. Certain games can benefit greatly from the VITA, and i can think of no better fit than Energy Hook.

Sonicfan11589 said:

June 28th, 6:22 am

I remember when this game was first announced. Finally hearing something about it. Is there a PS Plus discount or anything? DLC? Any other info?

cusman said:

June 28th, 6:31 am

I hope there is a demo. I would like to try out the feel of the controls before I buy, because the concept is appealing, but if I don’t like the controls I know I won’t enjoy it.

G-Force08 said:

June 28th, 7:52 am

It’s been a long time since this game was announced. I thought it was cancelled. Hope it turns out well!

Shimrra74 said:

June 28th, 7:55 am

Not the prettiest PS4 game, at first I thought it was a PS Vita release.

Figboy said:

June 28th, 9:14 am

I thought this game was being developed for the Vita? I swore I read that ages ago. Anyway, the game looks neat. I was QA on Spider-Man 2 back in the day, and the swinging was the best part of an honestly mediocre game. I still own my copy of Spider-Man 2, and before my BC PS3 disc drive fried, I would pop it in and just swing around the city. I will definitely pick this one up once it releases!

Moxxidude said:

June 28th, 9:43 am

Lost track of Energy Hook there for awhile but really glad to hear it’s about to be released! Congrats Jamie, on getting this exciting game finished! It must be a very exhausting but exhilarating experience to pull that off primarily alone! As a fan of Spider-Man 2’s awesome physics and swinging mechanics let me first say thanks for the incredible gameplay experience! To this day it remains untouched, imitated but never equaled and it’s been 12 years! I will be getting Energy Hook on launch and you’ll be getting my cash soon after! Thanks to you and I wish you incredible success with the game!

Welmosca said:

June 28th, 10:09 am

I like the way you talk about your game.Looks interesting…I’ll keep ma eyes open for a gameplay video.

Kaznasty- said:

June 28th, 11:03 am

According to your Kickstarter you were developing this for PC, PS4, and PS Vita concurrently. I have had this on my short list of Vita games to look out for since March, 2015 and am happy to see you’re nearing completion (congrats on all the Steam Early Access success you’ve had as well!) but I need to know: will you still be releasing this on Vita?

Logan22 said:

June 28th, 11:59 am

You should apply for Insomniac and do a VR prototype for the new Spider-Man game that they can later possibly patch in or sell as DLC. Just a little extra mode of swinging through the city in first person with mechanics similar to Windlands on Vive but more in tune with Spidey. That’d be the dream there.

iamtylerdurden1 said:

June 28th, 3:57 pm

He needs to be contracted by Insomniac and he needs to be in charge of the swinging mechanic. Nothing else, just school them on how to make a perfectly satisfying swinging mechanic.

Insomniac, contact this man, pay him 500k for 8 months of work and your game will be better for it.

plaztiksyke said:

June 28th, 1:14 pm

looks really, really cool! will it support stereo 3D and/or Move/DS4 motion controls?

any updates on the Vita version?

iamtylerdurden1 said:

June 28th, 3:58 pm

Add PSVR support.

Solh0und said:

June 28th, 6:21 pm

From the folks responsible for the spiderman games with the GOOD swinging!

VinsanityV21 said:

June 29th, 5:20 pm

JESUS CHRIST this disappeared for a LOOONG TIME. I was worried it was cancelled :(

I guess I should stop doing that though, since I myself am a Lead Character Artist for an indie game that got Kickstarter’d 3 years ago and we’re probably not going to finish that up until Winter this year or 2017. These things take time.

Definitely glad to hear this news then! I’m all about this project and hoping it really nails what it’s setting out to do; Tony Hawk + Spider-Man swinging sounds rad a f. Good luck with everything! Can’t wait to check this out!