Knack 2

Jul 22

Jul 22

Sonic Mania Announced: A New 2D Adventure on PS4

Rachel Steinberg's Avatar Posted by Communications Manager, SEGA

You’re not dreaming. Since the 90’s, Sonic has advanced from the 2D world into 3D, and has crossed multiple platforms along the way. But what would have happened if Sonic had continued his 2D glory after Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles? The world is about to find out.

If you weren’t one of the 1,100 fans who pre-purchased tickets to the sold-out event during San Diego Comic-Con, or you missed the live stream; big news for PS4 players was announced: our next major Sonic game is coming to PS4, and now we can finally show it to you guys here on PlayStation.Blog.

Sonic Mania brings fans back into the 2D world of platform games with nostalgic pixel-style art and core classic gameplay by reimagining iconic Zones and Acts from Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic CD and Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles. Before you get too lost in nostalgia of the 1990s, the game is also adding completely new Zones with all-new Acts and bosses into the mix.

Sonic Mania will be available as a digital download, and is being developed by SEGA of America in collaboration with PagodaWest Games along with Christian Whitehead and Simon Thomley. We’ll have more details later, but for now, rest assured that Sonic and your PS4 will be good friends sometime in Spring 2017.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

HypnoDarkrai said:

July 22nd, 10:13 pm

Please bring Sonic Mania to PS Vita as well!

ManjoumeThunder said:

July 23rd, 9:53 am

I support this and would purchase this as well.

Drakusbr said:

August 10th, 1:53 am

+1 on supporting PSVITA.

gerneric123 said:

July 22nd, 10:13 pm

pls port to vita

Xcaligamer1 said:

July 22nd, 10:17 pm

I woulda so bought a collector’s edition with a sonic fig but I’ll take this

rafael_martines said:

July 22nd, 10:19 pm

Plz bring SONIC 3 & Knuckles to PSN as well

TrueRadiantFree said:

July 22nd, 10:20 pm

This literally needs to be on Vita. There are no Sonic games for it :(

MakaiOokami said:

July 23rd, 11:31 am

There’s PSP games for it. Can’t promise those are games you want to play.

Sonic Rivals 1 and 2, as well as the Sega Genesis Collection digitally. The Sega Genesis Collection has Sonic 1 and 2 itself.

That’s 4 Sonic games not including the decent racing one, and pretending you’re Sonic in an LBP game.

God-Of-Lyf said:

July 22nd, 10:22 pm

My prayers have been answered! I’ve spent more hours playing Sonics games then I have sleeping and now it looks like there will be even less sleep for me in 2017. Thanks…!

Rachel Steinberg's Avatar

Rachel Steinberg said:

July 22nd, 11:49 pm

Thanks for the kinds words! We’ll be sure to keep you up-to-date on all things Sonic Mania in the coming months.

TheLeftClaw said:

August 2nd, 9:41 am

I have been a true blue Sonic fan since the first game and all I can say is next spring can not come soon enough. I am curious about a few things about the new Sonic Mania game.

1) Will Dr.ROBOTNIK or Dr. EGGMAN be there?

2) Will the Chaos Emeralds once again come into play and if so will you have the option to go Super at the touch of a specific buttion?

3 )Will Amy Rose and her Piko Piko Hammer be playable soon? (I know the game will take place after Sonic 3 & Knuckles but I’m just asking.)

4) Will Sonic’s second classic move the Super Peel-Out be there as well as the Fireball Spin Dash,Bubble Bounce and the Sparkling Double Jump? (Flame,Water and Lightning Shield-based moves.)

5) Will METAL or MECHA-Sonic reappear?

If any of these questions would be answered I would be grateful. Thank you for your time and keep up the good work.

omegazio said:

July 22nd, 10:22 pm

This is Awesome Happy 25th anniversary to Sonic SEGA.

Elvick_ said:

July 22nd, 10:37 pm

Only criticism I have is the animation of Sonic’s nose at the end/logo, it’s so jarring. Otherwise the game looks great, and that animation [nose aside] is stunning.

I’m glad Sega and Sonic Team are doing right by Sonic again for his 25th. Looks even better than his 20th was. Can’t wait to see more of Generations 2 as well, or whatever you end up calling it.

PlatinumDragon7 said:

July 22nd, 10:45 pm

Make Sonic great again!

SuperNinjaTendo said:

July 22nd, 10:49 pm

Wow, what a pleasant surprise for a Friday night! This looks great! I know there are a lot of Vita haters around this blog and we’re likely to hear from them soon, but seriously… Bring this to Vita!!! As a husband, a father of two and a worker of a full-time job staring at a computer screen at a desk all day, the Vita has been a blessing for me and my gaming habit… its the only way I’m able to get some good, quality game-time in while laying in bed at the end of a long day while re-watching Chuck episodes with my wife… I only use my PS4 for big AAA games for those rare times I have to sit in front of my TV and journey through games like Uncharted 4, Just Cause 3, Mad Max, Mortal Kombat X, etc. Long story short, if a retro/pixely game comes out on PS4 and not on Vita, I just don’t have enough energy to care. If I actually have time to sit in front of my PS4, I will play games from my backlog of big, bombastic, HD games. It’d be another story if I could get Remote Play to function well on Vita or my laptop… too much electronic interference in my house or something… but that’s another story. Please look into porting that hot “blast processing” into the Vita!

Silver_shion said:

July 22nd, 11:03 pm

AWWW YEAH !!
THIS HYPE TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES !!

2D Sonic is the real Sonic

Silver_shion said:

July 22nd, 11:04 pm

PS: If you wanna make physical copies, go for it.
I’d buy it.

younginflavor18 said:

July 23rd, 3:33 am

I agree, I wouldn’t mind getting a physical copy of Sonic Mania.

MysticalOS said:

July 22nd, 11:06 pm

So glad you have christian on it. Makes me relieved.

now if only you’d let him finish Sonic 3 & Knuckles ios port.

Tomoprime said:

July 23rd, 12:13 am

Wow that’s fantastic news. I hope SEGA keeps making games for consoles!

Fuhr31 said:

July 23rd, 12:45 am

Awesome. I’m all for a new 2D Sonic. I only wish they would’ve went with modern graphics. It’s not a deal breaker though.

VitaPJ said:

July 23rd, 1:07 am

It is a deal breaker for me and some of my friends.

I’m all in with going to the roots but doesn’t make any sense doing old graphics style. For that I can plug in my Sega Master System II and play sonic there.

BritishGolgo13 said:

July 23rd, 7:29 am

You guys are welcome to play Sonic 4 if that’s what you want. Mania is the game we deserve and the game we need.

MakaiOokami said:

July 23rd, 11:40 am

My friend has some cousins with an attitude like that. “Good graphics or deal is broken”

Then they played Towerfall Ascension, Nidhogg, and the other standard games in that vein. Then they realized something. They were stupid. Games are about how they play, not how they look, and when you get to the point that oldschool graphics are a deal breaker, you stop being a gamer, and become a game snob. You know like the “Movie Aficionados” that would rather watch a Transformer Movie than a masterpiece. If all you care about is graphics there are plenty of disappointing games that look good for you to choose from.

Giniko said:

July 23rd, 1:45 am

Two decades and all we ever, EVER wanted was more 2D Sonic The Hedgehog fun, exactly in the spirit of the original games. That’s it! Just that. People begged for it, over and over, yet Sega never listened. They gave us hedgehogs kissing human women in 3D. They gave us hedgehogs with damnable guns, werewolf hedgehogs, pinball table hedgehogs, and kart racing hedgehogs. Every imaginable thing OTHER than what every last fan actually was asking for.

The solution was something they refused to accept: that simply giving us more of what we actually loved and wanted – 2D sidescrolling, hand-drawn Sonic The Hedgehog – was the best way to manage the brand.

Maybe, Sega, if you had learned this sooner, you might still be a console maker, and not an appendage to various publishers. Alas, poor Sega. You’ve paid such a terrible price for your arrogance.

But, now, after your glory has been long gone, you finally get it. Your most popular and successful property. Finally you are making the attempt to give people what they’ve been asking for.

I’m old now. It’s been so very, very long. Don’t disappoint me with this.

MakaiOokami said:

July 23rd, 11:46 am

They’ve been releasing side scrolling DS and 3DS games forever, as well as GBA games. On top of that they released Sonic 4 Episodes 1 and 2, and Sonic Generations was a mix of things, but fairly well received…

I think that your post is what we would call overly emotional hyperbole, with a truth rating of about 10-20%.

More Sonic games would not have saved the Dreamcast.

Sonic the Hedgehog (15 million)
    Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (7.09 million)
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (6 million)
    Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics (5.67 million)
    Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (3.28 million)
    Sonic Adventure (2.5 million on Dreamcast)
    Virtua Fighter 2 (2.2 million)
    Sonic Colors (1.85 in 2011)
    Sonic Generations (1.85 million in 2012)
    Sonic Adventure 2 (1.7 million on Gamecube)

Note that Mario is part of those Olympic games as well. The thing that took Sega out of the Console Race was Microsoft. The Xbox seems to be exactly what the Dreamcast 2 was running Windows at a base core as well. The only thing that could have saved Sega from leaving the console race is Microsoft not getting in.

anszbd1 said:

July 23rd, 1:54 am

Can this be true, a good sonic game on ps4? Please make this game a good sonic game, the last one I remember is sonic 3 on genesis.

Also please port sonic 1-3 on android/ios to ps vita/ps4, playing sonic on my phone touch screen is weird.

Sonicfan11589 said:

July 23rd, 2:24 am

Really excited, the first game was allegedly the very first game I played in my life. Thank you for 25 years. :)

someuntakenname1 said:

July 23rd, 2:54 am

Please make it for vita, I would get it on Ps4 and Vita.

dkarlowicz10 said:

July 23rd, 2:57 am

I have a PS4, but would love to see this on the Vita. Not remote play, but standalone game.

szkodi said:

July 23rd, 3:25 am

This is my first comment ever here. And I do it for one reason. To convince you guys to make vita version for that one. There is loads of us who still use it on trains or undergrounds. Do not let us down please

younginflavor18 said:

July 23rd, 3:31 am

I’m so looking forward to playing Sonic Mania when I nab a PlayStation 4. Colorful, speedy, and breathtaking.

It’s awesome that the upcoming game is back to its Sega Genesis roots and a celebration of the 25 years of the franchise.

QueenGalactia said:

July 23rd, 4:11 am

This is great news… BUT IM SO ANGRY!! I’ve prayed for a 2d Sonic game to come to fruition but I want it on the VITA. Now that I think about it, it’s weird they didn’t go for the Wii U either, but still! I bought my vita praying for a good sonic game to be released on it (along with some tiny hole of sonic 1 2 and 3 be released on the vita by Christian Whitehead,) because Sonic is one of my favorite franchises! If it’s not released for the vita, Sega has blood on their hands.

GENETICIDE said:

July 23rd, 4:47 am

Digital only,huh? *slow clap* Bang up job as usual, SEGA.

MakaiOokami said:

July 23rd, 12:05 pm

If it was $40 dollars I’d understand a physical game. While some physicals do come out for $20, not many do.

Maybe they’ll do a Super Sonic Collection and put 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, Adventure 1 and 2, Generations, and Mania on a disk between $40-$60. Hell maybe they’ll just do an Anthology and put dang near everything on it. That’s $5 a game and 8 games total. Seems fair enough. Though it goes up to 7-8 per game at $60, but with a Best Buy deal, sale or Amazon Prime new release discount the price is back down.

That would be what I want/expect.

madmanwithabox12 said:

July 23rd, 5:10 am

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is one of my favourite games ever made. To me, Adventure was the worst thing to happen to the series because it was such a radical departure from the design, feel and gameplay that made S3K so perfect.

This announcement makes me super happy, cannot wait to get my hands on this. Especially wonderful that Christian Whitehead is involved, he made me like Sonic CD (I hated it on Gems Collection, his remake was amazing).

I’ll echo the sentiments of my Vita brethren to get this game on the platform. I’ll buy it regardless, but I’d double dip on Vita for sure. Would also be great to get the other Taxman Sonic Remasters (1, 2 & CD) on the platform too. Talk to Gio Corsi, make it happen. =D

ken_kimura said:

July 23rd, 6:06 am

Am I the only one who remembers that Sega already tried to to this nostalgia move before? Back on the PS3, Sega released a “Sonic The Hedgehog 4”, which had exactly the same premise. There was even 2 “episodes” of that game.

Out of the 25 years of Sonic, I feel like Sega spent the last 15 of those trying to recapture the magic…

YorlecmNwahs said:

July 23rd, 6:32 am

Omagod! Yes yes yes yes yes! Sonic is back in his original form. Short, fat and adorable. Never cared much for the tall and skinny Sonic and cared even less about Sonic Boom Sonic with a scarf. I was afraid original Sonic (short and fat) was forever dead. This makes me so happy. The decision to go back to 2-D, although I don’t care for 16bit games on an advanced beast like the PS4, was a brilliant choice. Sonic works better as a 16bit 2-D sidescroller. I am so stoked for this and sad about the waiting period. Cryogenic chamber, here I come.

NecroKing905 said:

July 23rd, 6:55 am

I really hope we get this on the vita, looks great, interesting concept I’d buy it boxed rather than digital

stlthriot said:

July 23rd, 8:07 am

Lots of potential here!!
As much as I wanted to love Sonic 4, something felt off about the physics of how Sonic played. I’m hoping this has more of the feeling of Sonic 1-3 on the Genesis! <3

Trendy_Kid said:

July 23rd, 8:19 am

Today is the best day ever thanks to this news! Sonic is my childhood hero!

Blind-Lunacy said:

July 23rd, 8:32 am

oooooh so hyped!!! going back to it’s roots. i love it, Can’t wait for this game.

ChaseHammerJ said:

July 23rd, 9:43 am

this is what was said about Sonic 4, turned out it wasnt the same…

NadMax45 said:

July 23rd, 9:59 am

Can’t wait to play this game!
I have a PS4 but i’d prefer to play it on PS Vita
Please try to bring it on Vita too

Kishnabe said:

July 23rd, 10:32 am

Grew up playing the Sega Genesis MK2. Really fantastic to finally have a 16bit Sonic 2d fast platforming game.

This is where sonic should have headed….not Sonic doom. Excited for Generations 2 as well…..or whatever it is.

Please bring this to Vita as well. If not, that is fine. Will enjoy it on PC or PS4.

LeandroDiFini said:

July 23rd, 11:44 am

I absolutely LOVE Sonic and Sega. Sonic was the first video-game I ever played and the Genesis was my first console. I did love what they’ve done with Sonic Generations though and even Sonic 4 was great (too bad it felt like it never ended…). I hope this is not just a throwback Sonic game, because the old gameplay just doesn’t apply to today’s standards. Here’s to hoping it does come out on PS Vita as well. A man can dream, right?

StuTX said:

July 23rd, 1:04 pm

I’m looking forward to seeing Sonic in lego dimensions!

VinsanityV21 said:

July 23rd, 2:34 pm

Its neat, I guess. It’ll be great, I’m sure. Not worth the hyped up Sonic party buzz imo though – I’m glad “Project Sonic” was revealed there, as that was more fitting. But this is fine. I dunno. The Sonic Advance games moved the Sonic 2D games so far past the classic Genesis games, plus there’s excellent games like Freedom Planet & Spark The Electric Jester… plus the many, MANY amazing fangames like Sonic After the Sequel. Like, its just hard to see this and get excited – even if this is more “official” than fangames. And again, Sonic Advance is better as far as 2D goes (if Advance 2 were a console game, it would hands-down be the series’ favorite 2D title). Still, this is certainly neat to see. I’m definitely gonna play it when it comes out :)

LuckyStriker1976 said:

July 23rd, 2:37 pm

Looking good, SONIC!!!! This will be the first game I ever preorder on PSN. Looks awesome, and please Vita version!

febwtf said:

July 23rd, 3:57 pm

Yeah, I’m fairly certain this is never coming to Vita. Sorry fellow Vita owners.

ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

July 23rd, 5:13 pm

I’ll just start up my Sega. Didn’t buy a PS4 for this junk, as if remasters aren’t enough.

gameman15 said:

July 23rd, 6:45 pm

As someone who loves the original Sonic games on the Sega Genesis and only played some of the modern Sonic games (Sonic Adventure 1 which is pretty good, Sonic Heroes which is okay, Sonic 06 which is godawful, and Sonic Generations which is also pretty good), I believe that this is probably gonna be the best Sonic game for modern systems.

SuperPiposaru said:

July 23rd, 10:31 pm

I can already tell 2017 is gonna be one awesome year for Sonic/Sonic fans! Happy 25th Anniversary!

Gamelore said:

July 23rd, 10:37 pm

As excited as I am about this, I will only spend money on physical copies, so make a physical release.

cowmamba said:

July 23rd, 11:01 pm

I would love to see this on the Vita. It’s gotta happen!

Ersarger said:

July 24th, 2:24 pm

Just like other fellow gamers here, I really hope that a PS Vita version becomes available. I own a PS4 too, but I am interested in buying this for my Vita.

phade2blaq said:

July 25th, 6:50 am

I’m just waiting for Nintendo to get out of the console business so that Mario etc can make its way to the Playstation paltform.

VinsanityV21 said:

July 27th, 3:46 am

Would be such sweet, sweet justice for Sony after Nintendo screwed them over with the whole “Nintendo Playstation” debacle. Choosing to go with Phillips and their CD-i over Sony and the SuperFamicom CD, simply because Nintendo didn’t like the fact that Sony would take a 50% cut on CD game sales. Uh, hello? It was their format? Jeez louise; Nintendo and the dumb decisions they’ve made based on being out-of-touch and/or straight up greedy could fill a freakin’ text book. I swear, the day Super Mario shows up on Playstation, I’m STILL not gonna buy it – gimme a new Sly Cooper or Jak & Daxter over Super Mario any. day. of. the. week! :D

thekobal said:

July 25th, 12:23 pm

I totally support this !! Christian Whitehead is just awesome !!! I’ll hope you make a great game, with several modes and you know, a totally old school classic game !!! :D

Chronora said:

July 25th, 2:43 pm

This does look fantastic, but is there any chance this will hit Vita as well? The Vita needs way more games.

blue_flare9001 said:

July 25th, 6:55 pm

I would also like to put my vote towards a PS Vita version. It would be awesome because handheld Sonic games have a special place in my heart as being some of the first game’s I ever owned for my GameBoy Advance. I practically grew up playing Sonic Advance 1, 2 and 3 so it would really mean a lot of you could also bring the newest 2D Adventure to PS Vita as well.

DLegendary0ne said:

July 25th, 7:44 pm

This is awesome news! I’m glad Sonic’s coming back.

I have to be honest and give 2 small criticism – Graphics

I appreciate everything the Genesis versions of Sonic brought us, but it would’ve been nice to play this in a smoother, more sharp, and updated environment a la Sonic 4. Even just hand drawn 2D with more clear graphics would be better.

I’m also not all that excited about the drop dash. I mean it’s a nice new power, but it doesn’t wow me. The dash ability from Sonic Dash, was soooo much fun. It would be awesome to see that here – perhaps as a new power once you beat the game or something.

These 2 just stood out to me as something I would’ve liked to see, but make NO mistake – I will be playing this game when it drops, and I’m sure I’ll love it! Thanks for bringing Sonic back to us!

Oh… and will there be a debug code too?

PAGE 1 2