Paragon

Aug 12

Aug 12

The Stylish Suits of Grow Up, Launching August 16 on PS4

Laura Hutton's Avatar Posted by Artist, Reflections

Hi, I’m Laura from Reflections, one of only two artists who worked on Grow Up! BUD, our procedurally animated stumbling red robot, is back for a new adventure. After his mission to grow a giant Star Plant in Grow Home, he’s off to a new planet and heading for the moon in an acrobatic adventure to save MOM. BUD is a much-loved character, but we thought players might enjoy him even more if he had some cool new outfits!

They’re not just a fashion statement — the abilities you get while wearing them are delightful. Equip the BUG suit and an army of swarming insects will follow you around. The aviator has a double speed boost glider — it’s crazy fast. And the others? They’re just wait­ing to be discovered. Complete the challenges dotted around the world by POD — BUD’s new best friend — and you can find out for yourself!

BUD’s not alone with his new ensemble — his upgrades get a new look, too, and some of the abilities will change the way you explore the planet. The world of Grow Up is massive in comparison to Grow Home, so exploration and traversal are key to the core experience — the suits will help you get around in style.

We needed lots of unique ideas for the visuals, so I drew from British culture. The BUG suit’s goggles are inspired by Dame Edna Everage’s famous spectacles, and the Aviator is a classic outfit from the 1920s. For one other surprise suit, I recalled a childhood memory of a scarecrow named Tatty Bogle. Though not all the ideas made it to the final game, we had loads of fun discussing over-the-top abilities that would have taken way too long to make playable!

When designing the suits, I envisioned how childlike BUD is in his vocalisations and movement. I remembered my own happy experiences of having fun in the garden, digging around in the mud and playing with insects. At an early playtest, one player left a comment: “The BUG suit is going to be my son’s favourite.” That’s why I love making games. Nothing compares to seeing someone enjoying content you created. The suits add another layer of fun to a very exciting game and I hope people enjoy playing with them as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Before Grow Up, I was an artist on Tom Clancy’s The Division — you can’t get a much bigger jump in terms of style and content. I had to adapt to a new art direction, from a dystopian and ruined New York to a bright, beautiful, triangulated world. Grow Home’s style was really appreciated by the community and I knew it would be a challenge to deliver an experience of the same artistic quality on a much bigger scale — the whole planet!

The tiny team dynamic is totally different to working on AAA; it’s refreshing to be able to spin around on your chair and see the whole team. The transition meant I had much more ownership of many aspects of the game. Most of what you can see on screen I’ve played a big part in, but so has everyone else — and it was great to take the lead in the creation of BUD’s suits.

I’ve hidden some secrets in Grow Up and although I know where they are, as soon as a player notices them, it’ll be like finding them all over again. There are even a couple of surprises my art director didn’t know about until the very end!

So enjoy your planetary playground, make something beautiful with the plants, and see what you can find — whether you’re dressed as a bug, a pilot, or an adorable red robot!

Add Your Own

desert-punk-86 said:

August 12th, 7:00 am

There’s is a limited amount of information about your game that’s coming out in a few days which makes me skeptical specially since is a AAA game,ill wait for reviews and i would recommend others to do so as well.

there aren’t any previews or ubi live streams showing the game just the E3 trailer and a couple of pics.

i hope you don’t charge 60 bucks for this but after no mans sky anything is possible.

supermoc10 said:

August 12th, 7:09 am

This is far from a AAA game. Sure it’s published by Ubisoft but it doesn’t the budget that The Division or Watch Dogs 2 has.

drd7of14 said:

August 12th, 7:14 am

Uh oh Butt Alert! It’s someone who didn’t read the article, with no basis for any of his claims. This is what they call a sequel. The 1st game was not a AAA title sold at $60. And to quote the post above,

“The tiny team dynamic is totally different to working on AAA; it’s refreshing to be able to spin around on your chair and see the whole team”

Try reading next time. NMS may have been $60, but it took them several years to make, and had a much more significant budget to warrant it’s price. That game is far from Indie. Grow Up, pretty ironic when it comes to your post, is an Indie.

In response to a user with no basis for fact.

draken3d said:

August 12th, 8:42 am

It was out on the UK PS Store on pre-order for 9.99$. So I expect a US price tag around that.

The link is down today :

BrianMcGuinness said:

August 12th, 12:36 pm

Haha, what a dumb comment. Who are you to tell everyone else to not get the game because you didn’t see a review? Wow…

supermoc10 said:

August 12th, 7:09 am

Loved the first game so I’ll be picking this up. Any word on price, framerate?

Laura Hutton's Avatar

Laura Hutton said:

August 16th, 9:28 am

Price is £7.99 and framerate is solid on PS4. It’s out now too – hope you enjoy it!

CrusaderForever said:

August 12th, 7:28 am

Thoroughly enjoyed the first game! Took us forever to find that last crystal but when my son found it at night we cheered HAHA! Really looking forward to this. Thanks!

defpixel said:

August 12th, 9:35 am

I thought grow home was awesome, and it’s a kid friendly game too. Just because it’s not AAA doesn’t mean it’s not a good game. I’m excited to play this when its released!

Dangisuckatgamin said:

August 12th, 10:51 am

Grow Home was okay. Not mind blowing and didnt deserve to win lol

EverythingOnFire said:

August 12th, 12:36 pm

I can’t wait. Adored the heck outta Grow Home. One of the very few titles that I’ve enjoyed on both console and PC.

To those that are curious, it appears that the game will cost a mere 10 bucks. Here’s a Q & A from Gematsu.com:

Q. How much does Grow Up cost?

The game will cost $9.99/€9.99/£7.99.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/06/grow-announced-ps4-xbox-one-pc#HGCuPgLsTALfmjtH.99

Laura Hutton's Avatar

Laura Hutton said:

August 16th, 9:30 am

Thanks a lot for providing the information for everyone. I hope you enjoy playing Grow Up :)

Jaysfordays420 said:

August 12th, 5:28 pm

Grow Home is on of the best games I’ve ever played and I can’t wait for this sequel. I really enjoyed exploring the floating islands and look forward to whats in store for BUD next!

ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

August 12th, 6:05 pm

So I’ll wait for this to go Free with plus. But if it as some use above said 9.99. I guess it aint too bad. Hopefully this time BUD get some better stability control and had strengthen his legs.

JonesHunt said:

August 13th, 4:17 am

I enjoyed the prequel but the framerate was really bad; so I hope this time it runs stable at least with 30 frames per second!

EverythingOnFire said:

August 13th, 11:30 am

I had serious framerate issues as well. Like, really, really bad in some parts. Every PS4 game I have that runs on the Unity Engine seems to have trouble. Boggles my mind that seemingly simple games like Grow Home and Firewatch can have such severe problems with framerate.

Having said that, I adore Grow Home, and I’m stoked for Grow Up.

jdizzle0420 said:

August 13th, 3:32 pm

Thats the day before my bday. Can I get a free DL code? 0:)

YoungBlaise said:

August 15th, 7:12 am

It was a really fun game! I enjoyed every minute except finding the last crystal but with radar it didn’t take too long. If its like the first one but bigger i’m totes getting it. It had my most evil trophy though. Sheep Dipper, You monster! lol
My only gripe is Where’s the Platinum Trophy? Hopefully you think this one is big enough to have it. If Taco Master can get it i know this one can :D Everything else, Awesome!

Xanthus179 said:

August 15th, 10:35 am

I really enjoyed the first game. It was quite the pleasant surprise. The sense of scale was spot on, and using different buttons to differentiate between arms was brilliant. I’ll definitely be checking out this game when it is released.

Novedulator said:

August 16th, 4:13 pm

The game crashes every time I try to open it. Are any others having this issue? I’m really bummed because I’ve been hyped about this game since the announcement. Unfortunately whenever I open the game, it doesn’t get past the warning screen before it crashes. Ive reported the problem, checked for updates on the game and my ps4, ive redownloaded it three times by now, and ive tried turning my ps4 off and back on all to no avail.

Feet1313 said:

August 17th, 12:00 pm

Game crashes every time for me as well! Nice! We working on a fix yeah?