God of War

Aug 15

Aug 15

PS4 System Software 4.00 Will Feature Folders, UI Refresh, More

John Koller's Avatar Posted by Vice President, PlayStation Brand Marketing, SIEA

Our beta for PS4’s upcoming 4.00 update, codenamed Shingen, rolls out soon for everyone included in the public beta program. If you signed up and were selected, be on the lookout for an email with instructions on how to download.

Whether you’re in the beta or not, we wanted to give everyone a glimpse at some of the new aspects of this system software. We’re refreshing the system UI, adding tools for organization, updating the Quick Menu, and much more.

UI Refresh

We’ve made a lot of adjustments and improvements to PS4’s main user interface. That includes some changes you may notice right away, like new system backgrounds and a revised What’s New tab, to smaller changes like updated popup notifications and redesigned system icons. As a whole, it all adds up to a more refined and easy to use UI. The overall look and feel of the UI remains the same — it just has a fresh coat of paint.

4.00 beta Quick Menu

Quick Menu

As you know, pressing and holding the PS button on your DualShock 4 brings up the Quick Menu. We’ve overhauled this menu to make it faster and easier to use. One big change is that the menu now only covers a portion of the screen, meaning you don’t need to leave gameplay entirely.

We’ve added several new items to the Quick Menu, letting you quickly get info without having to back to the home screen. You can see the online status of your friends, and shortcuts to quickly access your Party, Favorite Groups, Communities, and more. You can also customize the Quick Menu, removing or adding items as you see fit.

4.00 beta SHARE menu

Share Menu

We’ve given a similar overhaul to the Share Menu, which appears once you press the Share button on your DualShock 4. Like the Quick Menu, it only covers a portion of the screen. It will save the last social network you shared video clips or screenshots to, making the process of sharing a screenshot or video a bit faster and more streamlined.

You can also upload longer video clips to Twitter (was 10 seconds, now up to 140 seconds).

4.00 beta Folders

Folders and Library Organization

One of the big requests we get is for more options to organize content on PS4. With this update, we’re adding functionality to create folders on PS4’s content launcher and Library. This will help collect your favorite games and select apps in one place for quick and easy access.

We’re also making some pretty big changes to the Library. We’ve added a new tab called Purchased, which will show all of the content you own — games, applications, demos, and betas you’ve participated in. As a result, the Games and Applications tabs focus on content currently installed on your system. This should help de-clutter your library, and make it faster to find the content you’re looking for.

There are some new sorting tools for your Library as well. You’ll be able to sort content by purchase date or install status, and search for specific games and apps via text input.

Trophy Improvements

This update brings the ability to view the Trophy offline. You’ll see a new “offline mode” option if your system is unable to connect to the network, letting you view your entire Trophy collection without an Internet connection.

We’ve also added a button that will let you view the content of a Hidden Trophy. The Trophy will still be hidden by default, but you can now choose to show the Trophy name and info.

Lastly, we’re changing the icons that show how rare a Trophy is. Instead of four boxes that fill, the icon looks like a pyramid with the ultra-rare Trophies at the top.

4.00 beta User Profile

User Profile

We’ve updated the look of the User Profile, making it easier to see relevant info for a player at-a-glance. For instance, you can now see your Trophy progress compared with another player right from their profile. You can also add a background image to your own profile — perhaps a screenshot you took in one of your favorite games.

The update has even more features that won’t be available in the beta, so stay tuned for additional info on what to expect. We’ll be back with more info on 4.00, including its launch date, in the coming weeks.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 10

Darkvizardichigo said:

August 15th, 5:05 am

No idea what I would do with the folder option. Finding my stuff is not that hard. But the quick menu would help when you just want to read a quick message.

Shokuto said:

August 15th, 5:13 am

This is something people have been asking for awhile now.

Perhaps your gaming collection isn’t as large, but it becomes a bit of a chore the larger your collection gets.

Nikos said:

August 15th, 5:23 am

It’s always someone with the thread-crapping.

fred9463 said:

August 15th, 5:28 am

So i hope that it will be much easier to turn off your controller in the quick menu with this update!

WelitonE3 said:

August 15th, 5:48 am

I have more than 200 games on PS4, plus Demos and apps, it will help a lot for me. It’s very frustrating having so many beta games on Library.

Rockstang80 said:

August 15th, 5:52 am

Just out of curiosity are you going to continue to push the online bluray agenda? Please dont. If I turn off the option to connect my bluray player, dont ask me if i want to turn it on. dont turn it back on with automatic updates. Ive disconnected my ps4 from the internet when im notnusing it because of the pushiness of the OS. Also, please be more inclusive for universal remote like logitech. Im not buying the sony remote. Honestly, this edition makes me question whether I want to continue console gaming.

NEOMERCER said:

August 15th, 5:53 am

Exactly. Especially when they made it so you see less icons on screen, your recently used apps are first and when you can use your mic to choose an application, but hey, at least they are finally bringing it out for the fans. I won’t complain. It just doesn’t make as much sense to me with the way the UI is as it does for the Vita or iPhone.

GhostLine56 said:

August 15th, 6:09 am

So far it’s pretty cool,do we get to change our gamertag

mbmobile69 said:

August 15th, 6:31 am

Maybe Specific Game types get their own folder such as Call of duty and Grand theft auto

Invictus_80 said:

August 15th, 6:37 am

Sounds like a great update to me.

Dark_Yoda_313 said:

August 15th, 7:02 am

This looks like a fantastic update, but honestly, all I wanted was the ability to delete stuff from the library like demos and betas. Looks like I’ll need to be content with filing them in a ‘useless’ folder like the Vita!

Forever2k15 said:

August 15th, 7:16 am

And what about the parental security! Did you improve it?

Thanks

GhostFeels said:

August 15th, 7:29 am

Folder for installed games, folder for owned but not installed games..?.I could go on but is it really that hard to imagine uses for this function to clean up ones UI?

Corso_PSN said:

August 15th, 7:35 am

I play a lot of games, so I like the idea that I can group all my MMO’s, racing games, etc. into their own folders. That way, when I’m looking for The Last of Us, I can skip right past the folders I mentioned. Not an earthshaking update, but it will help streamline my PS4 as a whole.

Thanks for all the cool stuff. Now, again, about the ability to change our PSN I.D….

grisleyadams31 said:

August 15th, 7:41 am

Fred believe it or not, but there is a little hole on the back of your controller, that you stick a needle or toothpick in to turn off your controller.

Maluraq said:

August 15th, 8:12 am

Many of us had fully sorted folders on the PS3 and miss this feature a lot. I had my games sorted into RPG, Shooter, Racing, etc. categories so I could find what I wanted when I wanted to play something.

gmoney2007us said:

August 15th, 8:53 am

@Shokuto I was going to say the same thing I love the folder option as with my vita collection folders make things a lot easier to get the game you want to play faster also allows you to minimize how many pages you take up thanks for listening PlayStation

Dango_Official said:

August 15th, 9:10 am

The folders will only be useful for me to put everything I don’t need into a folder

GRizZL3E_BeAR3 said:

August 15th, 9:54 am

I haven’t done much research, but this update wil be available for Europeans as well? Because we don’t have the same apps like the UN. If its available for everyone accross the world and all regions i will be very hlad. Otherwise im getting an Xbox. And im a PS fan from PS1 and never thought about an Xbox.

TrevDavies said:

August 15th, 10:10 am

Still no backwards compatability then?? :(

Scottican said:

August 15th, 10:41 am

@GhostFeels Thats what the purchased menu in library is.

Kain_NL said:

August 15th, 10:43 am

Is this also the big update where we, as consumer with a Fanatec setup, are being used as garbage. The one where Sony is going to change something in the fw code so that I can’t use my wheel anymore in PCars, Dirt and Assetto Corsa.
    Where Sony suddenly changes the rules from: we let the devs decide for themselves if they support non licenced wheels. To: We only make licenced wheel supper possible ?

psychobillynight said:

August 15th, 10:50 am

I like to keep my stuff organized by genre so this works well for me.

BIKS_17 said:

August 15th, 11:16 am

Please increase the playstation party limit

L337-D4D said:

August 15th, 11:34 am

I am interested in folder options. The new share and PS button ui is huge. I am very interested in custom backgrounds, icons option, if made available. Offline trophies is a big deal.
    Supporting drives over 4TB would be a plus. I have 1.8 TB used currently, but there are more games coming out. External drives are stupid! Worse idea ever. Those who know the tech and anything about real world, an external drive is never a realistic option for a system to use as a primary access source for gaming or intense applications.
    Change your ID?! Sure, send Sony a delete account request and then create a new ID. If someone else chose your ID or you just grew tired of it, go create a whole new account. Otherwise adopt your ID as it is who you are and be proud you’re not poopypants or unicornsausage.
    Thank you Sony for all the firmware coding and tweaks you strive to improve for your loyal paying supporters.
    Now, where is my IPv 6!!!!

NOSMOKING4U said:

August 15th, 11:52 am

I LOVE that “folders organization” is finally coming to the ps4!! I have a massive ps4 game collection. Hate having to go to my library and keep scrolling and scrolling just to find a game I want to play. Thanks Sony! Going to help a lot of people.

minh979 said:

August 15th, 12:31 pm

Can you have the option please to have a ‘Wishlist’ that you can add games / dlc to, for us refer to and buy later on instead of merely only adding to the basket to purchase only?

twostepp82 said:

August 15th, 1:57 pm

Folders will save time having to scroll right for 15 minutes to find the app/game you want to play.

TSG194 said:

August 15th, 2:03 pm

please announce psn id name change already, i will pay 100 dollars just to change my stupid psn id.

TJ_Solo said:

August 15th, 4:43 pm

What does anything you people say have to do with the first post? HE doesn’t see a use for it. YOU can use it for what you like. Folders are great but it doesn’t mean everyone is going to use them.

MeSS1_F4N_IO said:

August 15th, 5:21 pm

They need an update for connecting to 5ghz WiFi’s but otherwise it’s always nice for a new update

ma_moth_growl said:

August 15th, 6:27 pm

Fantastic! Now can you fix all the UI problems with the Vita. Thanks, I’ve been waiting two years

ma_moth_growl said:

August 15th, 6:46 pm

PS3 and Vita have so many problems. Vita, the UI will pop up over the game you’re playing if the game thinks you might want to connect to the internet, even if you have aeroplane mode on. The Vita store often has no sections for current sales, or has sections for old sales. The purchase list does not differentiate between demo/ps4/ps3/vita versions so if you’re on ps3 you have to guess. The PlayStation Store is missing images for many games, yet had giant walls of irrelevant legal text. The PS3 store crashes every time I use it. The Vita store makes discovering games difficult. The Vita store is the place most owners will get their games. How can you not ensure that it’s design is immaculate? The 3ds eshop is fantastic. Google play is perfect. Steam is functional. PlayStation store is hopeless. I don’t understand how, when digital is becoming the dominant way to purchase games, when Sony is the top dog in console gaming, you cannot make your store front the shining example online stores

mik3vita2 said:

August 15th, 7:34 pm

The folders are going to be great

Finerva said:

August 15th, 7:58 pm

Why would you not use the folders? Right now I have a beta plus full version of the same ten+ games, plus all those PSN+ indies, there’s no reason I have to still sort through betas or games I’ve platinumed, those are going into folders. It’ll also be nice to do genre folders, folders for disc based games etc.

This is a basic feature but absolutely one we needed as more and more content is added to our libraries.

What be helpful when opinion posting to include a context. Like why exactly does the content management not irritate you like it does the entire PS4 sub Reddit? Do you not play a lot of games? Do you some other system for managing your content? Do you just resent organization? All helpful contexts.

PHLAK69 said:

August 15th, 8:09 pm

Pretty sad when we get excited for a folders option while the ONE is getting updates that put us to shame.

XxHollowFactorxX said:

August 15th, 8:54 pm

Idk, I feel like this update kinda sucks, I don’t need any folders, unless it was for pictures and music. Idc about any trophies honestly.

Would be nice to get all the features, that ps3 had, back like music, pictures, the games we had for ps3.

Custom background.

I don’t see why were getting such a small update, when they could add more into the update.

remixboy09 said:

August 15th, 11:07 pm

Make online free again please.

godzofwar123 said:

August 16th, 6:49 am

So I still can’t change my name… *cough*

MrSchizo7186 said:

August 16th, 8:39 am

unfortunately messages aren’t on the QuickMenu

majorstupid said:

August 16th, 8:59 am

If you wanted to you could put all the junk stuck, like the playroom and other stuff in that folder to make the home a little more nice looking, Of put all the TV apps in one so you dont have to go to the media tab all the time. But i think its a pretty good concept. On the other hand though, the side menu thing, i mean come on, that copying xbox a little to much.

Tornado20071 said:

August 16th, 3:01 pm

Not too keen on the folder option. I would like to see the ability to store Playstion Store movies in the cart like you can with games because it’s irritating that if you want to buy more than one movie or tv show you have to do each one separately where as if we had a cart you could buy multiple movies and to shows in one purches like with games

drjjose said:

August 16th, 8:57 pm

im using the beta and is awsome, the quick menu is cleaner and customisable i love the folder option and the profile cover. no crash so far. i felt the boot up from rest mode to be much quicker maybe is just me.

THExNEXTxHERO said:

August 19th, 6:58 am

It’s incredibly useful for people that like to keep things organized (my menu looks like a bunch of garbage of apps I don’t even use)
    I’ve found myself having to go to the Library to find some games I wanted to play that were already downloaded, it’s not a huge issue, but it’s still pretty annoying scrolling through hundreds of things I’ve downloaded before.

And it was a feature that was on the PS3 as well, so it was kind of dumb they add it right away.

NIGHTMARE8334 said:

August 19th, 9:04 am

Love the update but I see that the nofitcation alert changed to a nice black to a very bright white box. I really like the black box, so if you can please leave it the same that would be awesome! But great update by the looks of it!

igamer27 said:

August 21st, 2:58 pm

I hope with the folder option, they’ll have an option where you can just keep the app in the same spot, so your favorite game will always be in front without it moving backwards if you don’t play it. So you can put the apps in order from which you play the most, so it adds more organization.

Eliza_A_Bear said:

August 21st, 3:33 pm

Sign me right the f**k up.

imabigfatBanamon said:

August 24th, 10:14 am

OMG Thank you!!! I’m so excited to see the new look for the PS4

TenaciousC87 said:

August 24th, 4:34 pm

I hope they make some improvements to the store too. It needs help!

BiGbLuE108088 said:

August 24th, 5:16 pm

Yeah especially because you can really only get a handful of games on a 500 GB hard drive. I personally just want to see backwards compatibility for at least PS1 and PS2.

Marcushasfun said:

August 24th, 6:06 pm

I reckon YOU can create a folder to put all your hentai pr0n games in ;)

roofmonkeyatm said:

August 24th, 9:28 pm

Please let us change our PlayStation ID’s

DJ_MCX said:

August 25th, 12:07 am

Can you do something about the icons i have no use for? Like the PSview and PS now icons. I don’t use eithe of these and yet I can’t delete them. Though the folder option may provide a temporary solution I’d rather just delete them altogether and have them in my library for later downloading if I ever need them.

Wapsis6 said:

August 25th, 5:24 am

I think the new UI feature is cool… Looking forward to it

bkais22 said:

August 25th, 8:08 am

The one thing that would make this better would be a gamertag change even if it is once!!!!!!!

AlchemicSin said:

August 29th, 10:24 pm

Well I’ve found the folders useful since I have different types of games and apps downloaded I can categorize everything into different folders

ghostofwar666601 said:

September 8th, 2:17 pm

When does this new ps4 4.0 system update come out for everyone to enjoy? This new update looks like it would be alot easier to use. I like the idea of new folders for your games and the profile looks alot better

Kang_81 said:

September 10th, 1:53 pm

I’d love the option to group my friends list into folders as well. LFG features has exploded the size of my list and I’d like to be able to categorize my friends.

It’d be nice to make a list of people I only play certain games with.

BocaProwler said:

September 12th, 11:10 am

I set up 4 folders. 1 for Physical Games, 1 for Digital AAA games, and 1 for smaller indi and arcade games. I used a 4th one to move all the media icon to, like WWW and media player.

iain_b said:

August 15th, 5:06 am

Folders! Finally!!!!!!!!!

mwatcher said:

August 15th, 5:06 am

No external HDD support again. C’mon guys, my 2TB internal HDD is almost full! This is a must-have feature that just about everyone wants.

thesamuraiman_PS said:

August 15th, 5:13 am

That would be nice, but I doubt it will ever happen. Did the PS3 ever get external HDD support?

Awake-HD said:

August 15th, 5:18 am

I wonder if this has to do with potential pirating.

Carve123 said:

August 15th, 5:22 am

why not go through and delete some games you don’t play anymore and some of the screen shots too

JaffaSmashedFace said:

August 15th, 5:37 am

Pretty sure the PS3 had external HDD compatibility from launch, lol.

ollie_uk_2008 said:

August 15th, 5:41 am

i dont think Sony will. . makes it to easy for pirates
    ps4 supports 4tb hhd/ sdd and you can store your saved date and music on a usb

Jisatsu_Kiddo said:

August 15th, 6:19 am

you’re not playing all of that and i know most of it is just sitting there untouched. remove it, if you want it down the road get it again.
    and if you’re that stubborn just get a bigger drive. (yep , they get bigger)

MisterAxle said:

August 15th, 6:20 am

Those suggesting that a lack of external HDD support makes sense because of software piracy are exposing their own ignorance regarding how game license checking works. It would be no easier than pirating games as the system currently operates.

It doesn’t matter where an installed game is stored (internal or external drive). The system still requires that you have a license for it either by having paid for one on your PSN account or by having the disc inserted in the drive.

supremestarhawk said:

August 15th, 6:49 am

How many games do you have on 2TB?

JDH1 said:

August 15th, 6:52 am

Whilst I would love this feature, there is a very sensible reason why it is unlikely to happen; Sony cannot guarantee the quality of gameplay over a usb connection.

Now the PS4 uses a Sata II connection (3G/bps) and it has USB 3.0 capable of 5Gbps+. However, the majority of storage drives still rely on USB 2.0 with a transfer rate of 480mbps. Can you imaging the outcry of people buying spending hundreds on 2TB drives only to find games unplayable as the data cannot be read fast enough or it not working outright.

Now you could argue that sony can make it clear that USB 3.0 is required and anyone who doesn’t listen deserves what they get but that isnt reality. Most people who would understand these instructions can probably just swap out the internal drive for less money making the whole feature moot.

(All speeds are theoretical maximums)

amak111 said:

August 15th, 7:19 am

Jaffasmashedface, the ps3 NEVER had external drive support for games, and despite years of asking, never will. PS4 will be the same

Senjutsu_Dav said:

August 15th, 8:13 am

2TB is not enough? I have 500GB and it’s OK. I have a very fast internet connection though, so I don’t mind re dowloading games

MAUSZX said:

August 15th, 8:30 am

Dude I have a 2 TB HDD and I haven’t had a problem with space, I don’t think “everyone wants this” You should probably just erase the games that you just finished and know you are not going to play it.

Just accept you are not going to play every single game or your not going to complete every game. What I do is try to platinum the games that I really just want to play one last time and then move on and then erase the game.

Tactical_Snuke said:

August 15th, 8:52 am

Have you just not tried deleting old/unused games?

Scottican said:

August 15th, 11:20 am

Everyone thinks for playing off them, just cheap extra storage (without voiding the warrenty of the external drive) for those without good internet. PS3 had it but not for games, with size restrictions I believe from just trying or perhaps it was USB 3.0 problem. I don’t think 4tb is supported. I want the ability to move recorded data back since I don’t have a good pc or editing software on it.

Yo-D_da_Man said:

August 15th, 1:29 pm

While i know this isn’t “external hdd” support but one thing you could do is once your 2TB HDD files up, is take it out of the system put in your new one And then start filling that one up with your new content. Then when you want access to your old stuff/content then just reinsert your old/original drive and you can play them. Just do not try to put your HDDs into another/someone else’s PS4 cause that will cause the PS4 to reformat it.

Finerva said:

August 15th, 8:08 pm

Why do you want to play games over a USB drive? I know consoles appeal to a less technical demographic but this makes no sense. If you have a full 2TB drive ALL filled with content you MUST keep you are way outside of the normal demographic and maybe you need to reconsider your consumption habits. Maybe you want a PC with a NAS so you can download 20GBs of games in raid 5 and never delete a single bit.

Choices. We have them.

CidPsicodelia said:

August 15th, 5:06 am

Finally! A way to better organize the things in PS4, this should have been launched with the system.

yoyo8-stigz said:

August 16th, 4:18 am

How do i get this update !!? It is availabe now !!!?

SporkimusPrime said:

August 15th, 5:07 am

Sounds amazing.

Nazo678 said:

August 15th, 5:09 am

You should add more spaces to invite more people to a party atleast 12

thesamuraiman_PS said:

August 15th, 5:13 am

That’s a lot of people.

Lunar__Venom said:

August 15th, 7:58 am

Xbox has 12 and it’s not that bad when full

Cr1msonDrag00n said:

August 15th, 11:58 am

Yes please I really don’t know have they haven’t done this yet

Cr1msonDrag00n said:

August 15th, 11:58 am

know why

utterer said:

August 15th, 5:09 am

entitled gamers complaining in 5… 4… 3… 2… 1…

NEOMERCER said:

August 15th, 5:55 am

Lol EXACTLY! “WHERE THE PS PLUS GAMES AT?!” (Comments this on an unrelated post) “THE NETWORK WAS DOWN TOR TWO HOURS?! GIVE ME UNCHARTED 4 AND THE LAST OF US REMASTERED AND 5 MORE GAMES!”

Rockstang80 said:

August 15th, 6:00 am

I dont think expecting things that were a standard in the last edition makes anyone entitled, more like disappointed.

orthadox1377 said:

August 15th, 6:25 am

Amen! I need to remote I want or I’m going to leave console gaming. Really? Back to PC where your drivers need to be reinstalled before you can play. No thanks

Demendred said:

August 15th, 8:12 am

T minus tears in 30, 29, 28, 27, 26, 25, 24, 23, 22, 21, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

ICE_KOLD_KILLA92 said:

August 15th, 5:09 am

So excited! I’m glad Trophies can now be viewed offline AND have the option to view hidden trophies. The folder option is no doubt huge! The quick menu fore is super important. I hate losing view of Destiny when having to change something in the quick menu or having to skip songs.

Kubbes said:

August 15th, 5:11 am

About folders, will we be able organize friends by games (a list of friends playing BF, a list of friends playing DriveClub…) ? It will be easier for game invite.

Senjutsu_Dav said:

August 15th, 8:14 am

Hum, good idea!

MAUSZX said:

August 15th, 8:32 am

That’s sounds complicated, but you should be able to tag your friends to know what games your playing or from what game you know the guy.

V-BOB said:

August 15th, 8:58 am

Erm you can…. Quite easily…
    Go to friendslist
    Go to favourite groups
    Add the folk you want
    Then choose a name and an image
    Click create

All done,

Welmosca said:

August 15th, 11:36 am

This is a thing we already have…inside “Friends” if you go to “Now Playing”,there the PS4 puts together your friends that are playing the same game.Your friends become organized by the games they’re playing…ain’t that what you want?

memortally said:

August 15th, 5:11 am

Thanks for listening PlayStation nation , first of all big thanks for Folders and I hope there will be pin favorite app option also. Second and most important change of 4.0 for me is UI improvements/refreshments can’t wait to see. Quick menu sounds amazing. Overall 4.0 sounds like lots of improvements new features that will make everything better. Thank you PlayStation for listening to us and being the best

John Koller's Avatar

Andrew Kelly said:

August 15th, 11:21 am

^_^ Thanks for the kind words!

rey_rey_joker said:

August 15th, 5:12 am

Those features look exciting! I’m still waiting for custom wallpapers though.

sausagejocky said:

August 15th, 6:44 am

Yeh that’s would be awesome the main features that need to be added are custom wallpapers, external hdd support and psn I’d change

DigimonHunter21 said:

August 19th, 7:05 am

Maybe i’m stupid but, i love collecting awesome themes that not many people have and preset themes sometimes have custom unique icons that i don’t think can be customized if we have custom wallpapers (i’m only saying this because i have cool themes………). And yup those features looks great, i use Quick Menu all the time so it’s nice for an improvement.

boshafty1 said:

August 15th, 5:12 am

How do you get in the beta?

dustinhhn said:

August 15th, 5:13 am

I’m glad there’s still no two factor authentication.

TwinDad said:

August 15th, 11:10 am

It is coming still, they cannot ignore it, however Sony has been vocal that it would be opt-in.

KwietStorm said:

August 15th, 2:06 pm

..Why?

G-Force08 said:

August 15th, 6:15 pm

That’s not a system function but a network function. They need to add that to the network which would span all devices. Don’t expect it in a system firmware update.

thesamuraiman_PS said:

August 15th, 5:14 am

Wow. All of this stuff sounds amazing. I can’t wait!

SedilesAstaroth said:

August 15th, 5:14 am

Sounds pretty awesome!

VegitoSSGSS100 said:

August 15th, 5:15 am

Playstation i am begging to see patches of ganes separately not attached to gane data…
Please do this i dont have enogh time to delte latches and install every time…

ishJJx3 said:

August 15th, 10:56 am

That doesn’t exactly sound like a feature regular players would want. The only people who would want access to previous game versions offline to that efficiency are those that want to exploit games prior to their fixes in a patch. I don’t think Sony would support that.

TwinDad said:

August 15th, 11:11 am

I think it is more of a request to remove game breaking patches. There have been posts of folks getting bad patches, then people having to download the game, and then all patches again.

Welmosca said:

August 15th, 11:45 am

@ ishJJx3 – I think he’s asking for a feature to delete the size of the games installed in the PS4 but keep its patches and DLCs installed on the HDD.Well if its this then this would be the best thing yet to come to PS4 seeing how backwards Sony went making PS4 ask to install the full size of the game when you own the damn disc.

But if its possible…the ability to go back in patchs would be fantastic.Imagine playing Witcher 3 on 1.05 again before the changes that ruined the game bit by bit…haha thats a dream coming true.

yyhfd said:

August 15th, 5:16 am

Still waiting

bntrsplpltz said:

August 15th, 5:16 am

Nice! Now when am I able to change my username? ;P

Awake-HD said:

August 15th, 5:21 am

I want this too but will probably never happen

MisterAxle said:

August 15th, 6:23 am

Nobody wants to hear your resigned, defeatist remarks.

amak111 said:

August 15th, 7:22 am

Look the former xbot wants to change his name, too bad. 10 years I still have this name

durrrgggh said:

August 15th, 9:08 am

+Amak111 You’re telling me… -_-

veryhoudini11 said:

August 15th, 1:41 pm

There are better things to add than allowing people to fix their mistakes when signing up for psn.

Destinys_Memory said:

August 15th, 5:18 am

External hard drive support. For the love of all that is good in the world. The Wii U can do it…

Spazz3870 said:

August 15th, 5:25 am

Hell ya , Aweome can’t wait. You guys do a great job. People will still cry over it on a daily basis m, My advice it fk them. I still think u are doing great. Keep up the good work Sony.

l_push_chickens said:

August 15th, 7:25 am

and thats why the wii u can be jailbroken in less than 30 minutes

amak111 said:

August 15th, 7:26 am

Sony won’t do that, the ps3 barely supported it for playing t music and movies off it.

Senjutsu_Dav said:

August 15th, 8:19 am

It would lag so much, to stream the content from USB… Unless they do a “smart optimisation”, like switching the games you play on the internal disc and thos you don’t play on the other disc… But I just don’t see the point, I don’t think games could handle the slow reasing speed.

TERMINATOR543 said:

August 15th, 5:22 am

I hope that some of the smaller changes would to be able to change a party status from private to open or from open to private without having to create a new one. Also hoping that the popup notification changes will make them less annoying as they always block my radar when playing games like Uncharted, Destiny, and Call of Duty. All in all, awesome update!

V-BOB said:

August 15th, 9:15 am

I’ve been after this since day 1 too

NYPUNK88 said:

August 15th, 5:23 am

F.O.L.D.E.R.S!!!!!!!!!!!! \ 0 /

John Koller's Avatar

Andrew Kelly said:

August 15th, 11:32 am

(*•̀ᴗ•́*)و ̑̑

hkjdhfjkdshgjkds said:

August 30th, 3:47 pm

The should make it were we can change psn id’s

Fly_Mark_5 said:

August 15th, 5:23 am

Nice!!! looking forward to it guys

Ronnieded said:

August 15th, 5:23 am

Great update, but I’d still like to be able to store music,movies and pictures like we could on PS3. And for the love of God, when the hell are we going to be able to change our online ID name????????

U_Nick said:

August 15th, 5:23 am

Folders! YESSSSSSSSSSSS! Folder and a VR headset in the same year. What good deed did I do to deserve this?!

HiryuMK said:

August 15th, 5:24 am

Thank you so much for Offline Trophies!

OblivionMandateX said:

August 15th, 5:25 am

What about all those PS2 games that are still conspicuously absent from the PS4 library? Still no word?

hybrid229 said:

August 15th, 5:25 am

Needs a delete all in the notifications section. Instead of having to delete them individually.

Monkey484 said:

August 15th, 7:19 am

Didn’t see someone else posted this. I completely agree. Especially the uploads/downloads section. And really I don’t want it to show me uploads at all anyway.

mohamed-7k said:

August 16th, 2:51 pm

I have so many uploads (mabye over 300). and to get rid of them I have to delete them one by one

SGAShepp said:

August 17th, 6:37 pm

After folders, this is my next biggest request. I just like having everything neat and tidy :)

Carve123 said:

August 15th, 5:25 am

one feature I would really like is the ability to choose what shows up (like trophies I get) while I am streaming from the PS4 instead of a black box that appears on stream. I understand the privacy part for say messages you might receive but blacking out trophies you get seems overkill.

Andrefpvs said:

August 15th, 5:45 am

THIS! It’s so annoying that trophies are blacked out on our streams. Please give us an option to show them.

AizawaYuuichi said:

August 15th, 11:32 am

Blocking out trophies during streaming is the same reason we have hidden trophies, to protect people from unwanted “spoilers” based on trophy titles or descriptions.
    Though I think it would be a great feature if they could let us choose to disable popup notifications separately between normal operation and streaming, so there would be less intrusions and we wouldn’t have to go change it in the settings every time.

nnn222 said:

August 15th, 5:26 am

AMAZING
some features i’ve been wanting for ages

KidGreengene said:

August 15th, 5:26 am

This is the worst sale ever!!!
Sorry… just felt like “angry mob” was the way to go.

X-Ray_621 said:

August 15th, 5:26 am

Why dont you make something so we can play splitscreen on 2 screens player 1 on screen 1 and player 2 on screen 2. That is something that would be an improvement.

durrrgggh said:

August 15th, 9:11 am

Can’t do that with a simple software update.

NuggetNaber said:

August 15th, 5:27 am

I still find it highly annoying that we were promised so much with the ps4. Even more sad that Xbox has done what ps said they were going to do. You have external hdd, they have real game sharing where you can share the actual game with friends family. They also have where you can get online and share it with the family and not have to buy for each account. SONY ISN’T DOING IT RIGHT AGAIN.Next year I might be jumping on the new Xbox platform. All we get from Sony are empty promises and hopes and dreams.

TrueAssassin86x said:

August 15th, 5:42 am

“the new xbox platform” is just a upgraded Xbox1 just so you know lol

DENSHADEI said:

August 15th, 5:46 am

I have 2 PS4 and I only purchase gamea on one. . .what are you talking about?

Us2nChase said:

August 15th, 9:18 am

Hes talking about where if I buy a game on my account and then my brother signs into his account, that he can’t play the game I bought. He would have to go on my account to play the game. It’s really stupid. Why Sony got rid of that with ps4 I have no clue. That’s the one thing that I loved about ps3.

Scottican said:

August 15th, 10:49 am

You can if the PS4 is the buyers primary. Just like activating on PS3.

DigimonHunter21 said:

August 19th, 7:20 am

But my brother never bought any games, and he can still play games that I bought….. Is that weird? (note: we have different account of course, same PS4 though)

Scottican said:

August 22nd, 3:24 pm

@DigimonHunter21 No it’s not.

CrazyTomas said:

August 15th, 5:30 am

I would love to see external HDD support, because I bought my PlayStation 4 a couple years ago and it only has 500GB. I have to delete games to install others, which is very anowing. I know I can replace the internal HDD for another with more memory, but I would loose my console warranty and would have to install everything again.

DENSHADEI said:

August 15th, 5:47 am

Changing the hard drive does not void the warranty

siriusbee said:

August 15th, 12:51 pm

As DENSHADEI says, changing your HDD will not void the warranty. Furthermore, if you have a spare 500GB external USB drive available, you can do a *full system backup* of your PS4, upgrade the PS4 HDD, and then restore from backup, which will return your PS4’s storage very close to its state on the old HDD. Much quicker and less painful than installing everything again.

Dark_Slayer2000 said:

August 15th, 5:32 am

Please bring back USB music player, it was genuinely my favorite thing about the PS4, being able to change my music without leaving my multi-player game.
I never understood why it even left, can someone at least give me a justification for that?

DENSHADEI said:

August 15th, 5:48 am

It is there already, it was added back in the last update.

AizawaYuuichi said:

August 15th, 11:36 am

@ DENSHADEI: I have tested this recently because someone else claimed it was added back. It was not. It’s still part of the “Media Player” app. There used to be a “USB Player” ‘overlay’ that didn’t work like an app, and you could launch it without online games like Destiny or Division kicking you off the servers. It didn’t suspend the game you were playing. The current app for playing music off a USB device still suspends your game, which gets you disconnected. They removed this feature with the first OS update, and they’ve never added it back.

Welmosca said:

August 15th, 11:55 am

This is a very welcome feature that makes PS4 shameful for not having it.I remember playing racing games like Burnout and NFS Hot Pursuit with ma fav songs playing in the back…hard to believe thats not possible on the PS4.

JustCalllMeCB said:

August 16th, 6:44 pm

It was added in the last update, you find it in your library after connecting the flashdrive . -.

AWESOMEgamer875 said:

August 15th, 5:36 am

Please, Shuhei… Let us change our names.

keago1 said:

August 15th, 6:23 am

P.S. I Love You

poohty_t said:

August 15th, 5:37 am

Dang Sony, really? you gonna give us ability to add a custom background to our profiles but not our UI?Yall really want us to buy a theme huh? Not gonna happen. You gave us the ability to take screenshots with ps4, yet refuse to give us ability to make our theme backgrounds customizable. That is just horrible.

optimuslime25 said:

August 15th, 5:38 am

Still can’t livestream on Facebook? :<

BBurgSteve said:

August 15th, 9:54 am

Pretty sure that would be up to Facebook to create a Facebook app to do that. The ‘so-n-so is live’ stories on your feed are done directly through the FB app. You can livestream on Twitch and link it to Facebook (and/or Twitter through the Share button.

Sonicfan11589 said:

August 15th, 5:40 am

Can we have the option in a future update to not receive community messages. I made it so i don’t receive messages from players that are trolls and players found a work around via communities.

TrueAssassin86x said:

August 15th, 5:41 am

Theres a aready a option under communities i discovered that the other day.

mohamed-7k said:

August 16th, 2:56 pm

If you go to a communities settings, there is an option to turn off notifications.

TrueAssassin86x said:

August 15th, 5:40 am

Oh look worthless stuff that the whiners have been complaining about. Only thing left is Changing IDs, Backwards compatibility and external harddrive. Hopefully the whiners will shut the hell up and just game instead of complaining about every little thing.

KwietStorm said:

August 15th, 2:16 pm

Ironic isn’t it?

TheUnbornNobodyX said:

August 15th, 5:45 am

Contrary to the complainers who are complaining about getting what they complained about, I think this update is a huge improvement to the PS4. Not only folder improvements, but a complete UI overhaul. Playstation isn’t really known for overhauling the UI in their products, so this took me by surprise. These are all welcome improvements. Maybe one day we can add out own background music. Really excited to see what updates will be like going forward.

SeasickDruid said:

August 15th, 5:45 am

How’s about fixing the issues causing games to crash repeatedly!

DENSHADEI said:

August 15th, 5:50 am

That is up to game developers.

Andrefpvs said:

August 15th, 5:48 am

John, thanks so much. This appears to be a great update.

Regarding the new Quick Menu, does it include what time it currently is? It’s quite annoying to have to leave gameplay just to see the time.

Andrefpvs said:

August 15th, 5:50 am

Especially since PS3 and PS Vita include the time on their respective quick menus.

DjDacky07 said:

August 15th, 7:17 am

I’m sorry what? You want to know what time it is? How much of a lazy ass are you? Buy a watch! Get a clock for your wall! Ffs people these days!

TRAVISHENDERSON5 said:

August 15th, 9:43 am

@DJDacky07 He’s actually right! we need to be able see the time when pressing the PS button. That’s not being lazy, it’s something a lot of people would love to have.

Andrefpvs said:

August 15th, 10:11 am

@DjDacky07 I’d be more concerned about how angry and condescending you got over a quite simple UX feature request. “People these days,” indeed.

To further elaborate, having a clock on the quick menu would allow us to quickly check the time without cutting out the game’s audio stream and video feed. It’s something pretty much every computer, smartphone, and console has. I agree it’s not the most important feature ever, but it would be a nice commodity.

By the way, wall clocks and watches are outdated devices in 2016 :-)

Scottican said:

August 15th, 11:00 am

I see watchs all the time, but if that’s so smart watches sure had a short life span. I agree with this but feed lose doesn’t bug me, always have my phone close also. Headset battery in quick menu would be nice.

Welmosca said:

August 15th, 12:05 pm

Lol dude you’ve gone a bit too far with that…it’s just a 2 PS Button click away.Like for real you can do that in less than 3 seconds.

I’m not saying that seeing the time in quick menu is a bad idea cuz of course its a good idea but for real.You press PS you see the time you press again and you’re back in the game screen…even during an online match is something pretty quick to do.Not annoying.

gristb1 said:

August 17th, 8:08 am

Don’t forget it’s only a beta

SGAShepp said:

August 17th, 6:35 pm

Good idea! I never thought about it until you mention it. I check the time all the time by exiting the game, this would help a lot!.

DENSHADEI said:

August 15th, 5:51 am

Thank you! Custom folders is super helpful to me. I hope I got an invitation to the beta tho :p

Us2nChase said:

August 15th, 9:20 am

How do you sign up for the beta???????

luigiwiiUU said:

August 15th, 5:52 am

I wish custom themes/backgrounds were here by now, but this update seems nice.

Draculust said:

August 15th, 5:54 am

What about bluetooth support for headphones like what the ps3 had and the ability to have your own background display pictures??

DigimonHunter21 said:

August 19th, 7:30 am

Yeah, i have lots of wireless headsets but i can’t even use them. Also an option to turn off the mic would be nice because some headsets can’t be muted manually.

BookWyrm2008 said:

August 15th, 5:54 am

Have you fixed the “Discover Power Options” popping up after every time you turn it on after a power off?

LimeyCreeper586 said:

August 15th, 5:58 am

I’d love to be able to pin apps like YouTube or WWE Network to the main dashboard as opposed to having to dig thru the TV/Video folder

MandZeDK said:

August 15th, 6:00 am

Folders on PS4! My life is complete.

DividedByMankind said:

August 15th, 6:00 am

sounds sweet, but we need Progression on individual trophy!

keago1 said:

August 15th, 6:27 am

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

supernova8463 said:

August 15th, 6:52 am

This! Please Sony!

DjDacky07 said:

August 15th, 7:19 am

i don’t mind progression not being on the trophies themselves, most of the games that have the trophy lists in game anyway have the progression bars on them.

durrrgggh said:

August 15th, 9:14 am

Yeah! As a low level trophy hunter, this would make things soooo much better

PhoenixML21 said: