PlayStation VR

Aug 26

Aug 26

Hold Back the Darkness in Claire: Extended Cut, Out 8/30 on PS4, PS Vita

Joshua Spinell's Avatar Posted by Creative Director, Hailstorm Games

We’re excited to announce that Claire: Extended Cut is coming to PS4 and PS Vita (cross buy) on Tuesday, August 30. Two years in the making, our small team has put in countless hours and extra love into the Extended Cut on PlayStation.

The most exciting feature is our upgraded engine and ability to pull in dynamic lighting and real-time shadows into this retro-styled game. We’ve created an amalgam of old-world pixel art techniques with new-world technology. The game’s been overhauled with false depth and 3D objects to create a 2.5D result. The world is alive and moving, Claire’s not just being chased by shadow creatures, but by her own shadow and everything around her! Extended Cut is a lot closer to our original vision of what Claire could be.

While the environment of Claire is dark, brooding, and somewhat sarcastic, we didn’t want to make the standard grungy, grey, bloody type of horror game. We really wanted to balance horror with a bit of beauty. Those moments of respite where Claire can relax for a few minutes before reality kicks back in again.

If you’re unfamiliar with Claire, it’s about a teenage girl struggling to make her way through high school because of her constant nightmares and dreamscape. Failing out of school and trying to take care of her sick mother, the stress gets to her. As she tries to hold it all together, the past, the present, and something else entirely mesh together. Claire constantly shifts to and from her younger self, reliving moments without realizing anything’s changed.

But Claire’s not alone in the darkness — she’s accompanied by a dog wandering the grounds, and a few other people that could use assistance as well. It’s up to the player to put the pieces together. Extended Cut goes a little deeper into Claire’s history, bringing up more questions and more answers.

We hope PlayStation gamers love playing it as much as we loved making it!

Add Your Own

rudetoy said:

August 26th, 9:11 am

Sounds like a kind of “Haunting Ground” vibe. Could have used a game like this on the Vita but I’ll settle for Remote Play.

Mean_Mistreater said:

August 26th, 9:19 am

Like Mercenary09 mentioned, trophy lists have shown up on PSNProfiles and Exophase for both a PS4 and a Vita version.

Mercenary09 said:

August 26th, 9:14 am

I seen a trophy list for this on both PS4 and Vita. Is the Vita version coming too?

Kishnabe said:

August 26th, 9:27 am

I saw the Vita list. Excited for the port.

Reminds me of Lone Survivor…

Was Claire intentional (Res Evil)?

Leo_the_Lion25 said:

August 26th, 10:08 am

Is Claire crossbuy? ^_^

Joshua Spinell's Avatar

Joshua Spinell said:

August 26th, 12:28 pm

Sorry for the miscommunication guys. We had a few crossed wires. The game is indeed coming out for PSVita on August 30th and has cross-buy.

FeLiPe_MachiN3 said:

August 26th, 10:31 am

This game has been on my radar for a long time, but i’m interested in the Vita version. There are some trophy list showing Vita/PS4 versions of the game, so the vita version will also be out on 8/30? :)

Hakumen__ said:

August 26th, 11:21 am

The blog post and its title need to be corrected to reflect that the game’s also coming to PS Vita.

For instance, I wouldn’t have checked this blog post if I hadn’t read on Gamefaqs that the game was coming to PS Vita.

KazeEternal said:

August 26th, 11:22 am

“The game’s been overhauled with false depth and 3D objects to create a 2.5D result. ”

2.5D is a style of rendering 3D objects for use in a 2D game. Not a means of projecting 2D sprites onto Surfaces on Quads. It’s a dumb term anyway, I wish I could go back and burn down the magazine that coined the name, but we’re stuck with it.

Anyway I love the look and everything for this game. Seriously hoping for a vita release.

hanajimasohma said:

August 26th, 11:45 am

Am I missing something? “Out 8/30 on PS4, PS Vita” I would assume that means there is a Vita version.

glassmusic said:

August 26th, 12:05 pm

This game looks RIGHT up my alley.

I’ve gotta ask though, and this is BIG…

Does anything bad happen to the dog? ;)

Joshua Spinell's Avatar

Joshua Spinell said:

August 26th, 12:37 pm

I think either way I answer will lead to spoilers. ;) But I will say that we are fond of dogs, and don’t particularly like the common dog death horror cliches.

pablikenemy79 said:

August 26th, 12:57 pm

Thanks for supporting Vita, day one buy here !

rudetoy said:

August 26th, 1:07 pm

Joshua, can you please estimate how long the campaign typically lasts in this game? Thanks.

Joshua Spinell's Avatar

Joshua Spinell said:

August 27th, 6:12 am

The average gamer seems to take 5-6 hours to get through. If you don’t care about getting a good ending it can go a lot faster, if you’re a completionist we’ve seen people take 8+ hours.

Toe_Tag_ said:

August 26th, 2:05 pm

Still no Socom announcement. What a shame…

coldgarden said:

August 26th, 2:34 pm

Looks like an exciting game! Looking forward to it.

whereymyconary said:

August 26th, 2:56 pm

Does look really pretty, happy it’s coming to the Vita

PK_Haseo said:

August 26th, 3:49 pm

Soo where the post about punishing playstation users who don’t or haven’t yet subscribe to “Playstation Plus”?

$59.99 – 1 Year
$24.99 – 3 Months
An Canada pays $11.99 for 1 – Month

TwinDad said:

August 26th, 6:59 pm

Because that discussion should be taken to a thread that is either a Sony game, has something to do with plus, or the PS Store. This is an indie, and they have nothing to do with PS+ or the cost of PS +. You are entitled to your opinion and to have your say, but leave this developer alone. This is their time to tell about their game and get marketing for people to buy it.

TwinDad said:

August 26th, 7:01 pm

So I have to ask, where/why did you use “Claire”?

Game looks great. Not sure how I feel about playing a game with my kids name, and a sick mother. But I’ll give it a look regardless.

HussamFelimban said:

August 27th, 10:35 am

Price? PSTV compatible?

cowmamba said:

August 27th, 9:45 pm

Nice!!! Glad to see it’s finally here! My Vita is ready!

xxdmcgee2288xx said:

August 28th, 12:41 am

I’m so excited about this one! FINALLY! Heck yes. Been looking forward to it ever since I saw the original articles back in like June or July talking about this game coming to PSN. And then I saw the trophies a couple months back pop up on psnprofiles.. I was hooked. This is a must buy for me. I’m really hoping to get the same vibes as I got from lone survivor in this one. Survivor horror genre with an eerie twist of plots and super cool and morbid but yet eccentric endings that leave you begging for more..

Dude, I hope it isn’t too expensive.. Like I’m thinking $15 for plus members as an incentive to buy it in the first week..

Cherade9 said:

September 1st, 11:39 am

I can’t find this in the Dutch PS Store! It’s not there… Please help!

Joshua Spinell's Avatar

Joshua Spinell said:

September 5th, 7:46 am

Sorry for the late comment, but Claire will be available in all unavailable EU regions around Sept 10th to Sept 12th, so it is coming soon.