Knack 2

Aug 29

Aug 29

Everything You Need to Know About Eve: Valkyrie

Andrew Willans's Avatar Posted by Lead Game Designer, CCP Games

We’ve put you in the pilot’s seat for the ride of a lifetime as you’re launched into space with cutting edge visuals and silky smooth controls. There’s no pre-flight checklist, no fuel tanks to fill — only instant adrenaline as you full throttle into battle, line up your first target, and squeeze the trigger.

Since March 2016 we’ve been refining and updating our combat to make it as intuitive, comfortable, and edge-of-your-seat thrilling as possible. We’ve learned a lot about what works (and what doesn’t) in VR. We’ve balanced and tuned our ships and abilities with help from a very active community of players. As part of that process we’ve helped to define some of VR best practices that are ensuring a deeper immersion and greater sense of presence.

The whole team here at CCP Newcastle are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the PlayStation community. As gamers, we can’t wait to welcome you to our virtual worlds. Here’s a very brief overview of what you can expect to see when you take that giant leap into the future…

Chronicles (Single Player)

These are an interactive archive of virtual memories reconstructed from the clone data of fallen pilots. Chronicles can be summarized into four gameplay categories:

• Recall memories are narrative missions that provide some of the backstory to the events before and during the current Valkyrie timeline. They also introduce new players to the features and gameplay they will be experiencing during multiplayer combat.
  • Scout mode allows you to freely explore any of our game maps without fear of attack from the enemy. While cruising around you’ll be able to locate and listen to Echoes, which provide more backstory and Valkyrie lore. We’ve also hidden some Salvage containers within the maps. If you find one, shoot it and scoop the loot!
  • Survival mode pits you against increasing waves of enemy AI to set a high score as you practice against a range of ship classes and squad combinations. It comes in two selectable levels of intensity: Novice and Pro, and is available on all our game maps.
  • Training modules are also available to help you brush up on your flight skills. Race through obstacle courses, try out the different ship class abilities, or put any of your ships through its paces in our AI filled Test Arena.

Multiplayer Combat

Team based multiplayer shooting is the beating heart of the Valkyrie experience. It’s here that you will earn XP, increase your pilot’s Rank, and gain access to a wider range of ships and upgrades. You can fly solo, or form a squad with up to five players to properly coordinate your attacks. You can also play in co-op mode and face off against AI pilots that are match-made to complement your skills.

There are three core ship classes in Valkyrie: Fighter (assault), Heavy (tank), and Support (healer). Each class has its own progression and class specific XP. As you earn XP in a particular class it will unlock new ships and upgrades for you to craft.

Crafting uses Silver — an in-game currency given as a reward after each battle, and Salvage — materials that are collected from destroyed enemies during a battle. At the end of a battle the total salvage accumulated by the team is shared between all players on the team.

Coordinating attacks and objectives within a balanced team is the key to success. There are no end-game ships that will give you significant advantage. The ships, upgrades, and abilities are all tuned to offer tactical choice and variety over firepower alone.

There are three main multiplayer game modes:

• Team Deathmatch is dogfighting in its purest form. The objective is simple — wipe out the opposing teams’ clone resources by raking up the kills!
  • Control is an objective-based game mode in which teams fight for dominance over three capture points. To scoop a point, players must deploy a drone near the objective, leaving them free to continue fighting and defending.
  • Carrier Assault is an epic game of base attack/defend. Teams fight to gain control of three objectives. If two out of three objectives are completed, the shield defences on their opponents Carrier will be disabled for a short period of time. With the shields down, the attacking team must destroy the Carrier’s cooling nodes. If these nodes are all demolished the Carrier’s core will be exposed and the attackers must rush into the trench at the center of the mothership to deliver the killing blow. Stand back for an explosive finale!

It was always our intention to build Eve: Valkyrie from solid foundations. You join us on this journey — with the launch of PlayStation VR, console gaming will take a giant leap forward into a brand new and exciting paradigm. Games as we know it are evolving. At CCP, we’re all incredibly excited to be a part of that story, both as creators and as players. So light your engines and prep for lift off… it’s time to go into battle.

Or as the Valkyrie say — “fly together, die together!”

Add Your Own

ResistanceGTA said:

August 29th, 6:38 am

I remember Dust514. I’m assuming this will go the same way. Needless to say, I will not even give this a second thought.

OnTheBus666 said:

August 29th, 7:21 am

Great attitude buddy! You are the beacon of hope that lights the way for developers that want to try new things and push the medium forward! Thanks for your relentless pessimism. You must be an absolute savant game designer. You throw blanket dismissals at the people trying to make fun experiences for all of us, and for that, we thank you.

What an a s s

Sindred said:

August 29th, 7:57 am

And yet the world took no notice of your dismissiveness.

DuoMaxwell007 said:

August 29th, 3:32 pm

While Dust did suck there is a difference between it and this. With Dust it was called an MMO so I expected a huge explorable open world that was teaming with stuff to do (outside of kill ppl) PLUS having to fight ppl from opposing groups. Instead what we got was a huge arena/battlefield that could only fit 2-3 teams of 100 odd players. Not exactly what we look for with an . I expected FPS WoW or EVE Online and instead all we got was MAG with worse graphics.

With Valkyrie we know exactly what we’re getting from the start so it wont have the same problem Dust did, lastly Dust with Free Valkyrie is not, game devs tend to do a much better job pleasing people whos PAID for their game as opposed to free ones… I mean for example compare Neverwinter, DC Universe Online or ESO, to subscription based MMOs like Final Fantasy XIV and WoW, the differences) and constant patches, additions and updates) are night and day.

Hakumen__ said:

August 29th, 10:37 pm

I agree with ResistanceGTA: given what happened with Dust514, I don’t have any hope CCP Games will do better this time.

Their actions speak louder than words.

anszbd1 said:

August 29th, 10:47 pm

Open to everyone, but don’t be a jerk. You can write but you can’t read. Please delete this comment mod.

Fastede said:

September 21st, 8:28 pm

As humans everyone makes mistakes. You have absolutely no clue how companies work. Some times the execs dictate to the creatives. That can wreak havoc on development, i never played dust. I did try tue eve demo and it was awesome. This is a must buy at launch. I am in the hardcore gaming community, been at it since the vectrex. I know games and this game rocks on vr. Anyone who hasnt tried this and is knocking it, has no credibility. The game worked and vr functioned like you would think it should. This team has my money!

greasesman2 said:

August 29th, 6:42 am

I played this at the best buy demo of psvr. It was nice there was a lot going on around me, I liked it, but to be honest there was to much going on. I will get it eventually but there are other games I’m looking forward to in vr first and for most.

TesseractE said:

August 29th, 6:46 am

I played this at a Best Buy demo and it blew me away! Is there a release date yet?

Andrew Willans's Avatar

Andrew Willans said:

August 31st, 6:35 am

That’s great to hear TesseractE We’re a launch title for Playstation VR so you’ll be able to literally launch with us on October 13th!

Amnalehu said:

August 29th, 9:33 am

@TesseractE Im pretty sure it’s a launch title! Great news!

Amnalehu said:

August 29th, 6:54 am

WOW, I did not know this game had so many different ways to play. I had a chance to try it at Gamestop and It was an incredible experience for me. The controls were very intuitive and I as able to do many things in flight that I have always dreamed of doing in a game including flying in formation. The rush of getting shot into space was a wild sensation. Eve: Valkrie tops my list of must-have Playstation VR launch game. Well done!

Andrew Willans's Avatar

Andrew Willans said:

August 31st, 6:36 am

Thanks Amnalehu! One of our main goals for Valkyrie was to make the controls as intuitive as possible, but offer increasing tactical depth as you gain more experience in VR combat.

Sindred said:

August 29th, 7:25 am

As I said in the EU blog, thanks for making head motion a reflection of your in-game head. It feels so natural that way. We don’t fly planes and drive cars with our heads after all :).

Will there be a decent amount of single-player missions like the ones in that video?

Andrew Willans's Avatar

Andrew Willans said:

August 31st, 6:39 am

Glad you find the motion natural Sindred, it’s a key factor in creating a believable and immersive VR experience. One of our main head tracked mechanics is the look-to-lock missile system. Once you’ve tried it, you’ll wonder how missiles ever flew without it ;)

OnTheBus666 said:

August 29th, 7:26 am

Game looks awesome wondering if it will have any connectivity to the main EVE universe

Patriotsrule316 said:

August 29th, 7:45 am

I also tried it at BestBuy and had some positives and negatives. The positives were the outstanding graphics, and the exhilaration of preparing through takeoff. On the negative side, it was really confusing for a demo (I don’t think I ever figured out how to accelerate), and I had a hard time figuring out what was happening. It really could benefit from a tutorial. I left wondering about the potential of VR. My son loved it. We went back next week, and my son played it again. I played Battlezone instead, which didn’t have the graphics that EVE had, but had a tutorial and the game play was more fun and understandable for me. We will probably still get EVE because my son liked it, but I hope you can implement a tutorial and make things clearer, because I really want a good experience feeling like a space fighter pilot.

Spyroluver88 said:

August 29th, 12:00 pm

Boost is the X button. :-)

SparksBiy said:

August 29th, 7:53 am

any word on price yet guys???

sandkwithhp said:

August 29th, 8:04 am

I’m very pleased to see that a co-op component will be included. Thanks!

DuoMaxwell007 said:

August 29th, 8:13 am

This game has been on my radar since day one Im just wanna know about price and if there will be physical release.

bigmansavagedan said:

August 29th, 7:46 pm

Would also love to know about a physical release. I always buy physical over digital;)

zirocrath said:

August 29th, 8:45 am

Is this a VR exclusive??

Amnalehu said:

August 29th, 9:34 am

@zirocrath it is a VR exclusive.

Kishnabe said:

August 29th, 10:50 am

All VR games are playable on PS4.

BjFauble said:

August 29th, 6:40 pm

It’s only playable with PSVR, yeah.

Thwip said:

August 29th, 9:27 am

Like others, it would seem, I played this at an EB Games PlayStation VR demo event. I asked the demo team to let me play the game that was “the most likely to make me feel sick”. Nausea was a primary concern for me when I first preordered my PlayStation VR. I’m pleased to say that, not only did the game not make me ill, I also very much enjoyed the experience; I look forward to diving back in when the game releases.

Spyroluver88 said:

August 29th, 12:01 pm

Will you be able to invert control in the final version?

Andrew Willans's Avatar

Andrew Willans said:

August 31st, 6:37 am

Yes, you will be able to invert the controls to match your preferred choice.

Chet said:

August 29th, 2:11 pm

Yes. In fact, the controls were inverted at the demo I played at Best Buy. It was absolutely horrible. I kept pushing down when I wanted to fly up and vice versa. It really really sucked. Then, when I actually thought that I had an enemy in my targets, it was impossible for me to see them.

It looks like every VR game is set where you’re sitting in a cockpit of some kind. I don’t necessarily want to play my VR games constrained like that. Sure, I can’t walk around with the VR headset on, but I sure would like to be able to walk around using the controller or something. Maybe their VR tests have proven that walking around with a controller causes disorientation for the gamer. Who knows? Maybe all of this cockpit stuff is why gamers are claiming that the experience is too lonely and not a very social medium in which to game.

Scorp_Wild said:

August 29th, 8:25 pm

While it’s not a PSVR exclusive, Ubisoft is making a cool game where everyone is sitting around a campfire as a who-done-it type of experience. The name of the game escapes me, but it seems like a fun and social VR experience.

TesseractE said:

August 29th, 10:24 pm

If you want a social VR game, watch for ‘Keep Talking and No One Explodes’. One person with the HMD is trying to defuse a bomb. Everyone else in the room has the instruction manual. ^^d

Squadren_64 said:

August 29th, 12:26 pm

A few questions. Can I play co-op survival with friends? And is the survival endless?

bigmansavagedan said:

August 29th, 6:28 pm

Sounds great! The only thing I hope they add is support for flight sticks such as the thrustmaster t flight Hotas. I think it would only add to the immersion. I have my PSVR pre-ordered and can’t wait until Oct. Eve Valkyrie was my favorite game demo by far. It’s the only one that actually made me a bit queezy haha! Please add this support! Also when is the release date for Eve Valkyrie? I may have overlooked it in my excitement to read through and get a comment posted lol!

BjFauble said:

August 29th, 6:41 pm

Is this going to be a physical title or no?

Scorp_Wild said:

August 29th, 8:21 pm

So glad to see this comment thread started out so well… I played a demo of this game(you can check out my vid of it on my Twitter @Scorp_Wild) and I had a blast! This game has easily sold me in the potential of VR and I can’t wait to get my hands on this and other experiences like Batman VR.

ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

August 29th, 8:53 pm

Happy to know VR is picking back up. The great old Virtual boy days just needed better graphics.

ARK4U said:

August 29th, 10:10 pm

Please add support for move controllers. The move can be used as a stick to control the movements of the ship just like in a fighter plane. That would make the game so much more intuitive. Playing with dual shock was good but not natural to flying a space ship. Please do this. Demo was really good at BB. Looking forward to it.

anszbd1 said:

August 29th, 10:48 pm

If the single player is good, I’m in :)

Caliber345 said:

August 30th, 2:41 am

I played E:V on PSVR at Best Buy and I had a great time. It was fun and immersive so I am excited for it. We need more space shooters!

iREVOLTER said:

August 30th, 6:22 am

Hmmm, does it support flight sticks ? For example: Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 Flight Stick or any other?

caldari_warrior said:

September 18th, 4:58 am

I am really looking forward to playing this. I have immense respect to CCP, as a long time off and on again eve player I know they can do great things! Ive also gone to ICEland for an eve fan fest and have met them. CCP has a great culture fill of awesome people.

I also played Dust 514 on the PS3. Good game concept but I can understand how something like that could be hard to deliver on the PS3, but it was fun and I give them Kudos for trying.

Oct 13th cant come soon enough!