Knack 2

Sep 08

Sep 08

Torment: Tides of Numenera is a Strange RPG Coming to PS4

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie's Avatar Posted by Senior Writer, inXile

I don’t know about you, but we here at inXile like our RPGs a bit strange.

We want to solve bizarre mysteries, argue with memorable lunatics, and get killed by dangerous artifacts when we press the wrong button. That’s why we’ve been having so much fun making Torment: Tides of Numenera — the entire world is a soaring swan dive into a bottomless lake of delightful weirdness and we’re immensely excited that the game will be coming to PS4.

Torment is set a billion years in the future in a place called the Ninth World. That name isn’t just for show: the people in this world built their cities over the bones and ruins of eight ancient fallen civilizations before them. And the technology of those previous civilizations is lying everywhere, waiting to be discovered and exploited.

Torment: Tides of Numenera is the spiritual successor to the classic PC RPG Planescape: Torment. Based on Monte Cook’s Numenera tabletop game and developed by members of the original Planescape team, Torment: Tides of Numenera tells the story of the near-immortal Changing God, an unstoppable creature called the Sorrow, and… you.

You are the Last Castoff, the last child of the Changing God, and you’re born falling from space. Things don’t get easier for you from there. You’re being hunted for reasons you barely understand, and searching for your place in this world. You’ll talk to ancient machine intelligences and friendly cannibal cultists. You’ll play with impossible, incomprehensible artifacts, and you’ll die. A lot.

But that’s okay, because death is rarely permanent in Torment: Tides of Numenera, and failure is sometimes more interesting than success. More often than not, screwing up doesn’t mean a reload because it reveals new paths that you wouldn’t have found otherwise. We set out to make a game you’d want to replay over and over, just to see all the different ways you can change this world.

Your character’s decisions will be fed into our morality system, which is deeper and subtler than “good” or “evil,” and reacts to the kind of person you’re roleplaying. You might become known as a scholar, a brute, a philanthropist, or a passionate justice-seeker, just to name a few. Each choice you make shapes your legacy and the Ninth World itself.

So, if you like intense, reactive, story-driven RPGs full of gloriously weird things that can kill you, check out Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Add Your Own

SpacemanCraig said:

September 8th, 6:38 am

Awesome but why no mention of a release date?

GavinEtc said:

September 8th, 7:47 am

Hiya, Spaceman. Current release date is early Q1, 2017.

DeviantBoi said:

September 8th, 6:58 am

I was a backer of your Kickstarter. Will I be able to choose the PS4 version instead of the PC one?

GavinEtc said:

September 8th, 7:52 am

My glorious Production overminds tell me we are looking into this right now. Not sure if it’s going to happen, but we’ll update when we can.

NoOneCares435 said:

September 8th, 10:56 am

I’ve already redeemed my beta code on steam, where it crashed and didn’t save anything right after i finished the prologue fight, if there was a way to trade for ps4 download I would definitely be super interested since it seems I play on that the most anyway.

PA_Kid said:

September 10th, 7:06 am

Please try to make this happen! I am also a Kickstarter backer but need to look at a new PC to be able to play. Being able to get a PS4 code would be much better for me. I know it was said it wasn’t possible for Wasteland 2 but it seems like it wouldn’t be too hard.

It would also help promote Torment on PS4 to get some avid Kickstarter backers downloading and talking about it day 1.

CrusaderForever said:

September 8th, 7:16 am

Outstanding! Sounds like there is a lot of replay-ability here. These RPGs have always been PC only so it’s great to see them come to the PS4 and it’s X86 architecture. Do you have any special plans for PS4 Pro? Thanks for your hard work!

GavinEtc said:

September 8th, 7:55 am

No specific plans at the moment, no. I’ll pass on your thanks to the team, though. We’re really proud of this sucker. .

luvtoseek said:

September 8th, 9:50 am

Agreed! I’m so happy about this announcement! OUT OF NOWHERE. (=

Let’s have a Collector’s Edition too!

zirocrath said:

September 8th, 7:29 am

Torment? Wow… sold

GavinEtc said:

September 8th, 7:56 am

HOORAY!

anszbd1 said:

September 8th, 8:17 am

Planescape torment and (and the first unreal tournament) is my 1999 game of the year and one of my favorite rpg, it has a really really great story. If the first toment is “what can change the nature of a man”, then what’s this game about?

GavinEtc said:

September 8th, 8:26 am

This one asks “What does one life matter.” Hopefully, this site won’t nuke me for giving you a useful link, but check this out:

GavinEtc said:

September 8th, 9:40 am

Looks like my comment is waiting for moderation, so to sum up: the question behind this game is “What does one life matter.” In the course of the game, your decisions will determine how the people of this world remember you.

Kevvik said:

September 8th, 1:57 pm

Planescape Torment is probably, from a story-telling perspective, the best RPG ever so being its spiritual successor gives you pretty big boots to fill. Glad to see a company willing to put in effort from a storyline POV rather than just pushing graphics. Will definitely be watching for this.

Luke333 said:

September 8th, 8:20 am

Awesome! Been watching this game for awhile and can’t wait to play it. The game looks and sound great.

GavinEtc said:

September 8th, 8:27 am

Thanks, Luke. WE can’t wait for you to play it either.

pianobeendrinkn said:

September 8th, 10:25 am

I am soooooooo excited that this game is coming to PS4. I was a pc gamer back in the day when the first game came out and it was amazing, but I don’t play games on pc anymore–I like to be lounging in a comfy chair playing on my big flat screen. Playing games on the pc is too much like being at work since I am on my laptop all day. So glad I will get to play this on a console. Can’t wait!

GavinEtc said:

September 8th, 10:34 am

Glad to hear it. I’m a PC and console gamer, and sometimes, you just want to lay flat on your couch and play stuff.

anszbd1 said:

September 8th, 10:25 am

Thanks. Also one more question, are there any special edition for this game? I definitly buy steelcase edition and artbook that explain this game universe. I love reading the witcher 3 artbook (The World of the Witcher) since it’s explain the characters, the world and the places in the witcher universe.

NoOneCares435 said:

September 8th, 11:02 am

Numenara is a new role playing world so if you wanted a book like world of Witcher I would recommend getting a source book which are for sale now. Not sure where but I’m sure the inXile site could probably tell you. I backed it on Kickstarter at the level that gets all the novellas and docs because it seems like a really interesting world.

GavinEtc said:

September 8th, 10:41 am

That would be cool. I’m not sure at the moment, but I’ll pass your comment along.

Twisted_Ian said:

September 8th, 12:10 pm

YES! I am so pumped for this! I have finally been getting around to running through Wasteland 2 which is quickly rising to be one of my favorite games of all time. I hope that the original Wasteland would get remade in the Unity Engine as well but either way, I am really excited about this.

GavinEtc said:

September 8th, 12:36 pm

Excellent.

shmyazoo2 said:

September 8th, 2:26 pm

Yes! I really like Planescape Torment and I love these types of games, but my PC can’t play them, so it’s great that this will get a PS4 release. This title is definitely on my list.

Skypac said:

September 8th, 5:31 pm

I miss Planescape Torment and I miss the glory days of HEAT.NET. Can you bring HEAT.NET back too?

GavinEtc said:

September 8th, 5:33 pm

Let me check.

*checking*

I cannot.

BathoryBlaze said:

September 8th, 5:45 pm

Planescape Torment is seriously one of the best games I’ve ever played. I can’t gush enough about how much I love the Black Isle people. I can’t wait to play this!

fritoarevalo said:

September 8th, 6:44 pm

Shut up and take my money!!!!
Awesome Job!!! Congratulations!

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie's Avatar

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie said:

September 9th, 5:54 am

(I would thank you for the congratulations, but you told me to shut up.)

leoncio15 said:

September 8th, 8:32 pm

Mi dream come true. Lets go! The spiritual successor of Planescape: Torment? DAY 0

Naberios said:

September 8th, 9:22 pm

Man, I miss The Nameless One. Really loved Planescape Torment. While I would really love to have that game with an upgraded graphics engine on the consoles, hopefully this will be the next best thing.

So, is The Nameless One the Changing God? Or is The Nameless One another child of the Changing God? I’m wondering how you’re going to incorporate the dying mechanic into the story in that regard.

RaisedByAMoose said:

September 8th, 9:26 pm

Insanely excited to see this coming to PS4. Please please please please let their be an option to change the font size in the conversation box. My eyes are so old!

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie's Avatar

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie said:

September 9th, 7:26 am

I also have those old eyes. Maybe we should trade them in for, like, roboeyes.

I’m not sure about changing font sizes, but I’ve been hearing good feedback from players on CURRENT font sizes. I’ll pass along the request, though.

Marklord13 said:

September 9th, 5:30 am

A kickstater funded game for console, interesting.

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie's Avatar

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie said:

September 9th, 8:21 am

We’re excited about it too. We focused exclusively on developing a PC version – in fact, we didn’t even know we were developing for consoles until this year. Our publisher (Techland) made bringing the backer-funded PC version to consoles possible.

Jakysan said:

September 9th, 8:46 am

It’s good seeing a hardcore Top down RPG like this on console. I got out of PC gaming awhile ago and these were the games I miss playing. Thanks for bringing this to us!

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie's Avatar

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie said:

September 9th, 9:20 am

Our pleasure. As you can imagine, I’m insanely grateful to be working on a project like this. Games like this are a game writer’s dream.

Xanthus179 said:

September 9th, 10:27 am

I’m also a Kickstarter backer who would love to have the option to get my digital copy on PS4.

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie's Avatar

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie said:

September 9th, 10:57 am

Hey, Xanthus! We’re definitely aware of the demand for console versions for backers, and we’ll update if we have news. Thanks for backing the game!

eightleggedsteed said:

September 10th, 12:20 am

I’m really excited to see a game like this coming to PS4. I’ll definitely pick this up when it comes out. Although I never played Planescape: Torment back in the day, I’ve always been a big fan of Infinity Engine games like Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale. So I think I’ll really enjoy this title too.

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie's Avatar

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie said:

September 10th, 12:30 am

We’ve had a lot of fun making it. Too much fun, even. There was cackling.

Glad to hear it interests you too!

dirtylemons said:

September 10th, 5:40 pm

Absolutely some of the best gaming news I’ve heard in a long while. I prefer gaming on PlayStation for modern games, as my laptop is really best for retro gaming. And that includes ‘Planescape’, which I still play. I was considering getting ‘Tides of Numenera’ even if it didn’t run ideally on my outdated laptop, but I’ll definitely get it on PS4 now. Day one, you can bet on it. I’d pay $60 if you asked it.

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie's Avatar

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie said:

September 10th, 7:28 pm

Cool! I’m definitely looking forward to hearing how people who played the original Torment feel about this game. Glad we helped give your overworked laptop a break!

AceBeeDee said:

September 12th, 8:27 am

Want!

TrueAssassin86x said:

September 12th, 1:10 pm

I’ll be keeping a eye on this i like games that are different.

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie's Avatar

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie said:

September 12th, 11:53 pm

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. This game is full of funk and wonder. Wonderful funk.