God of War

Oct 21

Oct 21

PlayStation Blogcast 226: Storm’s a-Brewin’

Justin Massongill's Avatar Posted by Social Media Manager, SIEA

Subscribe via iTunes, Google or RSS, or download here

Welcome back — we’ve got fancy microphones and no idea how to use them! Join us for a decidedly less Power-ful show as Sid talks about Overwatch for like 20 minutes, then falls asleep when Justin recounts his experience at FFXIV Fan Festival. Plus, oodles of PS VR chat, and some early impressions of Titanfall 2’s single-player campaign.

Stuff We Talked About

• Audio is hard
  • Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood
  • Titanfall 2
  • Overwatch’s Halloween event
  • Rez Infinite in VR
  • Thumper (also in VR)
  • Just… VR in general
  • XCOM 2
  • Sid mistakenly calls Zootopia a Pixar movie

Recent Episodes

The Cast

Official PlayStation Blogcast: Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Justin Massongill

Sid Shuman – Director of Social Media, SIEA
Justin Massongill – Social Media Manager, SIEA

Send us questions and tips! blogcast@playstation.sony.com
Leave us a voicemail! (650) 288-6706

Thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music.

Add Your Own

sealum01 said:

October 21st, 3:55 pm

Happy weekend everyone! I foresee a LOT of PSVR Battlezone in my immediate future..

If you have a PSVR, play Playroom VR “Robots Rescue,” and dream about a 3rd person platformer, completely in VR.

MakaiOokami said:

October 21st, 5:25 pm

Yeah that game is great. No reason NOT to try that game. It’s free, and not many gigs.

The problem is making a whole game like that. But I bet Sonic could do something like that. Sega’s too stupid to do it though. *cough* No Nights VR *cough*

The real issue Sony has is that they make cool tech, but it costs a lot of money to develop the best game experiences. Because it takes a lot of time to tweak those experiences to make them amazing. But if people don’t buy in, you can’t afford to spend taht much time tweaking. But people don’t want to buy in, until the expensive games are ready to be bought.

It’s like a broken traffic light and no one understands what red blinky means, so they just wait there stomping on the break until they hit each other, and then it’s just yelling and everyone walks off.

dkarlowicz10 said:

October 21st, 4:28 pm

What you guys think of Nintendo Switch and how will that impact Vita? Maybe PS4 portable could be the answer? Maybe a version that plays digital games only that you could bring on the road (I say this because you can’t play PS Now outside of a good wifi connection).

MakaiOokami said:

October 21st, 5:32 pm

Nintendo Switch will be too expensive. It’s dramatically over engineered. They needed to hit $250 range to be mass market approved. There is a poll on The Verge with 30k respondants that even validated my argument that the Wii only did well because it was $250 and that $300 it would have been a harder sell.

I would be very VERY surprised if the Switch sells more than the Vita. I guess Monster Hunter could accomplish that but then I’d be super upset with Crapcom having never made a Vita Monster Hunter when it could have really boosted the Vita in the early days.

If the Switch was going to be affordable at $250-300 they’d have dropped the Wii U to $250 6 months ago, and $200 now, and maybe even $150 next month to get sales up quite a bit to sell more software. I think the Switch will do about 5 million in the first year, and then putter out until the price is affordable.

I’m always skeptical when companies use TFlops and talk about power especially mobile versus PC architecture because TFLOPs is meaningless. The PS3 had 3x TFLOPS over the 360 it wasn’t 3x more powerful. Moving decimal points is not something games need to do in order to render video output.

faraway25 said:

October 22nd, 8:28 am

Man that art is beautiful! Its a shame its used as just background noise for final fantasy games.

bam37 said:

October 22nd, 9:56 am

whats up with all the friday releases now

jgrizzle358 said:

October 23rd, 10:53 am

Man I have really been enjoying the PlayStation VR so far. My favorite experiences in no particular order have been until dawn Rush of Blood, Batman Arkham VR, Thumper, Harmonix music VR 3D painting and VR world’s London Heist.

Making the jump from mobile VR to console is one heck of a jump let me tell you. I really love games with hand controls because it really adds to the emerging and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that some PlayStation VR games actually allow for a little bit of free movement as in you can’t really move around the environment as long as the camera can see your lights. I noticed a little bit of that in Arkham VR.

Anyways, fantastic show as usual and congratulations on the successful launch!

jgrizzle358 said:

October 23rd, 10:54 am

Immersion*

I swear I do this every time…

jgrizzle358 said:

October 23rd, 10:56 am

CAN* really move around the environnement

I swear it’s not me it’s my phone.

Valde_zerocool said:

October 24th, 4:40 am

I live in Las Vegas and use PS Vue. I’m able to stream the east coast feed of The Walking Dead so if you want to avoid as many spoilers as possible or work early like myself I highly recommend Vue.

I’m pretty sure papa Activision had Blizzard change Titan based on how similar it was to Destiny and them having two MMO shooters out at the same time probably would be a bad idea.