Knack 2

Nov 03

Nov 03

Ratchet & Clank: PS4 Pro Update Coming Soon

James Stevenson's Avatar Posted by Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone. Ratchet & Clank on PS4 marked the first appearance of our long-running heroes on the console. It’s a galactic space adventure filled with exotic planets, wild villains, and an arsenal not fit for this world.

We’re pleased to be rolling out a free software update to the game to support the additional power that PS4 Pro offers. This patch should be available on or prior to the launch date of PS4 Pro.

For users with a 4K TV, you’ll be able to play Ratchet & Clank at a much higher resolution, and if your TV supports it, in HDR using an HDMI 2.0 cable. PS4 Pro users with a 1080p TV will see a big increase in gameplay image quality as well. The technique we’re using to get to those better resolutions is something we’re calling Temporal Injection. This allows us to not only hit a much higher resolution, but also to do it with jaggie-eliminating anti-aliasing as well. The extra resolution and HDR’s ability to display even more of the colorful Solana Galaxy should combine for the best image quality you’ve ever seen in a Ratchet & Clank game.

We’re really excited about the potential of the PS4 Pro and what it means for our games. From Ratchet & Clank (PS4) to our upcoming game with Marvel Entertainment, Spider-Man (working title), PS4 Pro gives us the power to release our best-looking games ever.

And for those with an HDR-enabled TV but still using a regular PS4 or PS4 Slim, our patch will also enable HDR for Ratchet & Clank as well.

We can’t wait for you to check out Ratchet & Clank on PS4 Pro!

Add Your Own

PS_ihh said:

November 3rd, 5:04 am

This will look gorgeous. I wish there was a DLC or something so I had more reason to go back. Already platinum´d it.
I know the original didn´t have one but an Arena DLC would be sweet.

XxSPADEZxX said:

November 3rd, 5:10 am

Amazing news. This game already looked visually stunning so I can’t wait to do another playthrough on my PS4 Pro.

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

November 3rd, 10:28 am

We’re so excited for you to check it out too, let us know what you think!

jstevenson said:

November 3rd, 9:52 am

We’re so excited for you to check it out too, let us know what you think!

Vylkeer said:

November 3rd, 5:11 am

This sounds amazing. I was really hoping for R&C to get a PS4 Pro patch.
Btw for HDR I’m assuming that an HDMI 2.0a cable is needed, not only an HDMI 2.0
So if I got it right, there will be two different versions of the patch:

– for 1080p TV users an increase in visual quality / fidelity
– for 4K TV with HDR users an increase in resolution (which?) and the addition of HDR.

Btw can’t wait for the Spiderman game!

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

November 3rd, 10:29 am

The patch is the same patch. It just detects the hardware it’s on.

If you’re on a PS4 or PS4 Slim, it’ll run normally though if your TV supports HDR, and your HDMI cable supports HDR (most should, but current gen high-speed cables will for sure), you’ll get the 1080p HDR version of the game.

If you’re on a PS4 Pro, it’ll run in Pro mode. Then it detects the resolution of the screen. If you’re 1080p, you’ll get the better image quality (downsampling from the higher res version). If you’re on a 4k TV, you’ll get the Temporal Injected 2160p. Additionally if your TV is HDR, and your set-up supports it, you’ll get HDR as well.

jstevenson said:

November 3rd, 9:55 am

The patch is the same patch. It just detects the hardware it’s on.

BurritoAssassin9 said:

November 3rd, 5:12 am

Was hoping for the capability for 60 fps, but this is great too!

AceBeeDee said:

November 3rd, 5:12 am

I can’t can’t believe I slept on this title and the movie. .. being an R&C fan and all

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

November 3rd, 10:29 am

Well it’s only a 20 dollar game now! So you can get the game and the movie on blu-ray for under 40 bucks!

jstevenson said:

November 3rd, 9:56 am

THE-PLASTICA-MAN said:

November 3rd, 5:19 am

Glad they added a PS4 PRO support. What is the higher resolution they achieved? Checkerboard 1800p or checkerboard 2160p or native 4K? Will the PS4 PRO version pack increased graphical fidelity like with Horizon: Zero Dawn? Thanks.

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

November 3rd, 10:31 am

It’s a temporally injected 2160p.

Temporal Injection is a similar sort of alorithim to checkerboarding, though we believe it’s a better solution

jstevenson said:

November 3rd, 9:57 am

It’s a temporally injected 2160p.

THE-PLASTICA-MAN said:

November 3rd, 5:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. I expect this is the same technique you will use for your awesome upcoming Spider-Man game. I hope there are improved graphical assets and features in Ratchet and Clank besides resolution on PS4 PRO and that they exist for both 1080p mode and the high resolution mode.

GunstarHeroX said:

November 3rd, 5:26 am

“and if your TV supports it, in HDR”. My TV does, but my $400 PSVR unit that’s supposed to be PS4 compatible disables that feature. All this work that you fine developers are doing is moot until Sony makes the PS4 Pro actually compatible with PlayStation VR. HDR will not work when the VR processor box is connected.
I’m not switching cables every time I want to use HDR vs VR. I spend over $800 on Sony hardware in the space of two months, and my reward is having to swap cables constantly? Unacceptable. Recall and replace please Sony.
I’m surprised that this truly embarrassing design oversight isn’t bigger news. I’m very much hoping that it will be once the Pro embargo lifts.

Dragonchasers said:

November 3rd, 7:07 am

I thought it was pretty big news when the PS VR faq came out. Google “playstation vr hdr” and you’ll find a lot of posts about it.

It’s why I canceled my PS VR pre-order!

otaku_no_bfm said:

November 3rd, 5:56 am

So you can patch three year old games for HDR but not for PSTV?

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

November 3rd, 10:34 am

The game is 6 months old?

jstevenson said:

November 3rd, 9:57 am

The game is 6 months old?

airJordan_Xx said:

November 3rd, 5:56 am

Question will the black bars be removed from cut scenes with ps4 pro update ?

thekeybear said:

November 3rd, 8:55 am

All cut scenes are pulled from the movie, hence scenes being blocked from recording, so doubt they would remove the black bars to switch from wide screen footage (which carries more depth of view) to a full screen cut out.

Teflon02 said:

November 3rd, 6:14 am

Yes, never expected this but this is great news. Now I get a better ver. To get my last trophy lol

IceColdKilla44 said:

November 3rd, 6:34 am

No 60fps target mode, no buy. Sorry, Insomniac.

ajsasflaym said:

November 3rd, 2:46 pm

For what do you need 60fps to have fun playing ratchet & clank??

ZA_Edge_ said:

November 3rd, 6:42 am

Great, once again we 1080p users are left in the dark.

Which improvements do i get as 1080p user? Why are they not more specific?

The article says:

4K User: Gets a better resolution, better anti aliasing and jaggie-elimination (whatever that is).

1080p User: “big increase in gameplay image quality”

That tells me literally nothing. :D

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

November 3rd, 10:39 am

We’re using downsampling to improve the image quality you see – which should include depth of field, AA/jaggies

Teflon02 said:

November 3rd, 7:19 am

Literally gave the full description. I don’t know how much you know but if you know tech, you know what that all means

KidCommando said:

November 3rd, 8:23 am

Well Teflon02,

They could provide comparison images and video instead of trying to describe the difference. Wouldn’t that make sense when trying to convey image differences. Instead they would rather talk about it.

I know what all that means, but that still don’t mean crap until we get to see it!

thekeybear said:

November 3rd, 8:59 am

1080p users, if their tv is compatible, will be getting a hdr (high dynamic range) update. Basically it helps boost colors to give you more depth and vibrant feel when playing games and watching movies, it’s more common on 4k based content but can be done on 1080p with the right devices

jstevenson said:

November 3rd, 10:01 am

ZA_Edge_ said:

November 3rd, 1:52 pm

Damn, thanks for the answer! Good to hear that downsampling will be used more often then i thought. :)

iREVOLTER said:

November 3rd, 6:51 am

Good news :) Really looking forward to see the boost of PS4Pro for this title.

KidCommando said:

November 3rd, 8:18 am

Here we go. Another blog post that mentions the difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro on a 1080p HDTV….But they can not show us a comparison between the two?

Where are the damn examples!?

“PS4 Pro users with a 1080p TV will see a big increase in gameplay image quality as well.”

So we will see a big increase in image quality…. THEN SHOW US!!!!

You include 4K screen grabs….why can’t you show standard PS4 vs. PS4 Pro???

I am tired of reading about this “far greater” “big increase” in graphics on a 1080p display. Maybe you could show us this difference and stop being coy.

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

November 3rd, 10:57 am

Nothing available at the moment. I think it’s been tricky because it takes all this time to get these things up and running (even now, our patch is just going through final testing for deployment). Getting high-quality screens taken, and approved has been a last minute thing for most teams.

Plus this is all new to all of us here.

Rest assured though, press have their hands on it and should be getting more comparisons and word out there very soon. I’m quite excited to see Digital Foundry’s breakdowns, myself

jstevenson said:

November 3rd, 10:08 am

Sorry – we didn’t think to take any 1080p shots. Generally if you downres those screenshots though it’s a pretty similar effect to the downsampling that will be going on.

KidCommando said:

November 3rd, 10:29 am

Well, I do appreciate the reply jstevenson. In fact I remember you replied to one of my comments many years ago on this blog, so thank you for actually attempting to communicate with the community. It is refreshing to see instead of blog posts with hundreds of comments and zero replies. It is really appreciated.

I guess I am just frustrated because I keep reading about all these upgrades on a standard 1080p HDTV, but I have not seen one screen or video that compares a game on standard PS4 vs. PS4 Pro on a 1080p display. They all love to show off their 4K screens and videos however.

Is there any place I can see a R&C comparison on PS4 vs. PS4 Pro on a 1080p display? As a consumer I would like to make an informed decision without relying on descriptive words and excitement.

Just show us the improvements please, I don’t understand why that is so hard.

KidCommando said:

November 3rd, 11:06 am

Thanks again, your community manager zen has calmed my mind. I will just be patient and wait for comparisons….silently.

Appreciate the transparency!

KwietStorm said:

November 3rd, 8:57 am

Still no 60 fps?

Syrlis said:

November 3rd, 9:34 am

I’ve been doing a lot of research on 4k and HDR for my parents who wanted a new tv. Without a 10-bit panel and a HDMI 2.0a cable. HDR does literally nothing for you. It’s only for people hooking up their regular PS4 to a 4k tv with those specs. If you’re spending the money on such a tv, why not just get the PS4 Pro as well?

Deathspawner said:

November 3rd, 9:52 am

I truly appreciate the love given to 1080p, but I sure wish 60 FPS options were far more common with PS4 Pro games. I am starting to really regret preodering the new console, and would likely cancel if not for the fact that I already committed to selling my old one to a friend. Smoother gameplay > everything else.

ProdijusX said:

November 3rd, 10:39 am

The three games i want to see on the Pro are this, UC4 and 1886

MisterJumpMan said:

November 3rd, 10:40 am

Awesome to see solid 1080p and 4k support. Was hoping to see a bump up to 60fps at 1080p too, but this is still nice! ;)

SCoopat said:

November 3rd, 10:41 am

too bad i’ll never see it…. without 4k UHD bluray drive, i’m not buying the pro…..

Insomniac1206 said:

November 3rd, 12:29 pm

I really hope we see more Ratchet & Clank games. VR would be amazing!

KBABZ said:

November 3rd, 12:38 pm

My 4KTV won’t let me switch to 1080p mode. Is there a way in the game to manually pick the prettier 1080p graphics over the 4K ones?

James Stevenson's Avatar

James Stevenson said:

November 3rd, 1:30 pm

You would want to use the 4k option anyway, I think.

Otherwise you probably just want to disable 4k output on your PS4 Pro… I think. Don’t hold me to that, as I haven’t played with one myself. But in theory if your Pro was only outputting 1080p to your 4k TV, you’d get the downsampled graphics.

That said, your TV will then be upscaling the downsampled graphics to 4k.

So suffice to say, the games Temporally injected 4k will likely look best

Beasthunt said:

November 3rd, 1:11 pm

Lol. Shirley you jest. Your TV will naturally downsample.

Beasthunt said:

November 3rd, 1:10 pm

This is fantastic news. I can’t wait. I already have the game, and my ps pro is paid off. Should be a good time come next week. Just need to get this paper out of the way and then it’s game on.

brn-dn said:

November 3rd, 3:49 pm

It’s an amazing and beautiful game on PS4 even before this new update. What does Sunset Overdrive look like on PS4 Pro though? I wouldn’t mind seeing that.

ininagap said:

November 3rd, 4:06 pm

This is great news! I just might have to go pick it up now for launch day, especially since the ps store just put it on sale for 20 bucks! Thanks so much for the ps pro improvements!

Arctorian said:

November 3rd, 4:12 pm

Am I the only one that really wants to play the Ratchet and Clank Future games on PS4? I would pay several times over and over for that :D

Elvick_ said:

November 3rd, 4:58 pm

Really wish this game had an Arena in it, would’ve fit perfectly inside the headquarters that serves as nothing more than window dressing sadly.

Would’ve been perfect in there to “train” Ratchet in the story, and then come back later for more. Oh well.

Hope we see more R&C on PS4, because I need more R&C in my life. There is not enough.

THE_ENDGAME_BOSS said:

November 3rd, 7:04 pm

So no 60fps? Seriously Sony gotta start considering the people who want better frame rate and not 4k!!!! Start offering something for the non 4k owning pro customers.

YungShep said:

November 3rd, 8:16 pm

Fixed my issue with HDR viewinf. APPARENTLY there was another feature called UHD thay needed to.be on as well, detected my HDR immediately..I bought Ratchet & Clank day 1. BRING on that patch!

joyrul96 said:

November 4th, 5:48 pm

Why not also mention

Improved AA solution

Improved motion blur technique?

edgr123 said:

November 11th, 9:56 pm

Is this patch out yet or am I missing something? I keep checking for update but it keeps saying it’s up to date. Checking update history has no mention of PS4 pro support or hdr just mentions bug fixes. Does anyone have this update yet?

Cyber-Gladiator said:

November 23rd, 6:05 pm

Besides the whole PS4 Pro support update, it would be nice if Sony and Insomniac Games offered a hybrid version of the Ratchet & Clank game disc + blu-ray movie disc combo/bundle pack that way both formats are reintroduced to retail simultaneously.