Knack 2

Nov 07

Nov 07

How Rez Infinite Shines Brighter Than Ever on PS4 Pro

Tetsuya Mizuguchi's Avatar Posted by President and CEO, Enhance Games

First off: thank you.

Looking back on the last two years since we started working on Rez Infinite, and the last 15 years since the launch of the original Rez (the anniversary is on the 22nd of this month, actually!), I’m filled with all kinds of emotions, but one most of all: gratitude.

Rez Infinite

Gratitude to all our long-time fans for spreading the word about the original Rez all these years and making this new re-mastered version possible in the first place; gratitude to our development partners at Monstars and Resonair, who blew away even my expectations in bringing the all-new Area X level to life; gratitude to Sony for believing in our vision for Rez Infinite and supporting us from the start (including our crazy idea to put me on stage with our LED-bedazzled Synesthesia Suit!); And gratitude to everyone who ordered our vinyl soundtrack / art book, physical disc version, or other goods via our friends at iam8bit (coming soon!).

But of course I’m most grateful to all of you who’ve tried out Rez Infinite for yourself! The overwhelmingly positive critical response is better than we could have ever hoped for, and continuing to see people’s reactions online is my favorite part of each day. Seeing so many heartfelt, emotional reactions from players of all types—fans old and new, those playing on PS4 and those playing on PS VR, whether trying out classic Rez or playing the new content of Area X—is exactly why we started this journey in the first place. And that journey isn’t over yet.

One of the goals behind this new version of Rez—and a big reason why we added “Infinite” to the name—is we wanted current and future gamers to be able to enjoy Rez. Which is why I’m proud to formally announce support for Sony’s latest hardware, PS4 Pro.

Rez Infinite

All the images on the page were captured directly from PS4 Pro hardware. Click through to see them at full 4K resolution.

The benefits you’ll see in Rez Infinite on your PS4 Pro depend on your home setup, but, for example, those of you lucky enough to own a 4K-capable display can enjoy both classic Rez and Area X in stunning 3840 x 2160 resolution; that’s right – the entire game runs in native 4K!

Rez Infinite

We zoomed way in here to show how the increased resolution (standard PS4 left, PS4 Pro on the right) means smoother color gradients.

From classic Rez’s simple shapes and stark lines to all the thousands of tiny particles that make up everything in Area X, this increased resolution brings a sharpness and crisp clarity that really adds to the experience. (In fact, the first time we saw Rez Infinite running on a PS4 Pro at 4K here at Enhance Games, a big group of us spontaneously gathered around to gape at it, even though we’d all been seeing those same levels running on a normal PS4 everyday for months!)

Rez Infinite

Similarly, those of you who have PS VR hooked up to your PS4 Pro might notice Area X looking a little different than you’re used to—that’s because the image being passed along to each of your eyes is being rendered at a higher resolution (1920 x 1080, instead of 1440 x 810 on a standard PS4), before being passed to the PS VR headset. Even though the final resolution it’s displayed at on the headset in the same either way, the extra rendering from the PS4 Pro makes a difference: each particle looks a little more clear, a little more solid, adding up to objects and enemies that look more distinct and “real,” whether close-up or at a distance.

Rez Infinite

Of course you don’t need a PS4 Pro, or even PS VR, to enjoy Rez Infinite. But if you do decide to buy either or both, now or in the future, there’s nothing else to buy or even download to get these benefits for Rez Infinite—all of this is included right there in the current version.

Rez Infinite

Think of it as our way of saying “thanks.” Again.

Add Your Own

Phillip_J_Fry said:

November 7th, 7:18 am

That’s fantastic! Thank you for adding this support. Really excited to see it up close when my Pro arrives later this week.

trav54 said:

November 7th, 12:44 pm

Fantastic!

salvuchi said:

November 7th, 7:20 am

Please, PLEASE, make new areas available in the future, maybe every 2-3 months? I would definitely pay for this, either DLC, season pass, monthly suscription, charge me as you wish, but create new areas! And more hardcore techno if possible! My PSVR would be my best investment every if I had new content for Rez on a regular basis. At the moment, I am constantly repeating the available areas over and over… it never gets old. I never imagined Rez could get this amazing when I was 15 years old (15 years ago).

Shtiken said:

November 7th, 7:26 am

Tetsuya Mizuguchi, you are king!

GaMeR_bOi_83 said:

November 7th, 7:48 am

Hey Sony any way you can up the date to today? Because I really don’t want to wait til the 10th. No? Maybe?

reson8er said:

November 7th, 8:17 am

Thank you very much, I have a 4K TV and this is exactly the way to enjoy it to its fullest.

I will be very happy to see this in person when my PS4 Pro arrives!

otaku_no_bfm said:

November 7th, 8:38 am

Good to hear. VR enhancements might get me to upgrade to Pro next year or so (just bought PSVR).

Maybe a contest is in order to try out the Synesthesia Suit?

^_^

Logan22 said:

November 7th, 9:33 am

I guess the original Rez game is already native 1080 on PSVR? Since Area X is the only thing mentioned in getting a VR boost.

For me this is a VR game through and through, so the 4K improvements are pretty meaningless.

viciousmoth said:

November 7th, 10:02 am

Any benefit for the PS4 Pro version on a 1080p screen? Thanks.

MisterEpic said:

November 8th, 11:29 am

Well many games are gonna get a bump in framerate, textures, models and other visual specs. Also, if your 1080p TV happens to have HDR, then the PS4 Pro will be able to take that in advantage. Also, the PS VR is getting improvements regardless of the TV.

n_duncanson said:

November 7th, 1:48 pm

Thank you, Miz. It makes me really happy to be playing Rez again after 15 years.

Any shot of a child of eden release for psvr while you’re at it?

AgentX said:

November 7th, 4:12 pm

Rez Infinite is an outstanding game ! I’m already playing and enjoying it on the standard PlayStation 4 now, but it is great to know of all of the enhancements that I can look forward to if I should get a PSVR and/or PS4 Pro in the future.

Thank you and all who were involved in creating this masterpiece!

SpooNManX said:

November 7th, 6:46 pm

I’m pretty disappointing with iam8bit. They said to expect the physical copy of Rez Infinite in October and even went as far as saying they were shooting for a release day to match the digital only which would have been October 13th. Now we are approaching mid-November with nothing shipped.. Not happy…

SpooNManX said:

November 7th, 6:57 pm

*disappointed*

MisterEpic said:

November 8th, 11:30 am

This is why I bought the digital version as well. That kinds sucks tho.

nintendone64stud said:

November 7th, 7:19 pm

With hearing stuff like this, I feel like i’m being tempted to switch to the PS4 Pro, especially when it comes to PSVR (since I don’t have a 4K TV). I’m actually wanting to save my money for a record player though. :(

gold_og_roger said:

November 7th, 11:06 pm

Great news, looking forward to playing again on the PS4 Pro this holiday. By any chance, can you release a new USB trance vibrator for the PS4 please? It really excites my local audience on game sessions.

extreme_ver1 said:

November 8th, 12:33 pm

I just don’t get the hype for better graphics on PS Pro. The graphics on my current PS4 is fine. Honestly, Graphics are not the problem with the current games. Making games that are fun to play is what matters to me.